Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

For people focusing on Beyond, how is the keystone that stops bosses from spawning?

theshim posted:

I was running it on wandering path 8 mod maps that rolled beyond. It's a fuckton more mobs! But I dunno if they actually drop anything :v: Did get a handful of tainted fusings, at least.

I'd guess it mostly shines when you're running Delirium maps or something where just having a lot more monsters will pay off reliably. I like having the bosses show up from time to time so I unchecked it for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

Should I sell the gem or use it? Seems like it would work really well with this build but I dunno.

On the PC that's like 10-11 div, and is a big damage boost for your build.

1 - Use it
2 - "He can't keep getting away with this"

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

So uh, this thing just dropped along with another 81% darkness enthroned belt. Should I sell the gem or use it? Seems like it would work really well with this build but I dunno.

Hell yeah. Paid 11div for one of these on PC last night can’t imagine what it’s worth on console. Use that poo poo.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

theshim posted:

that jewel is BIS for poison SRS and you absolutely want to use it

it's 30% more damage

I dunno what BIS is but ok, I thought it looked good but every time I’ve been excited about something like this, it turns out to suck. Thanks! Finally caught a break this league.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ceramics posted:

Hell yeah. Paid 11div for one of these on PC last night can’t imagine what it’s worth on console. Use that poo poo.

There are only 2 and they are going for 20div a pop.

(Lmao)

I’m assuming the effect doesn’t go up by 81% double if I put it in the darkness enthroned belt, right?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Season 1: mageblood
Season 2: finally something good

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

nexous posted:

Season 1: mageblood
Season 2: finally something good

*this league

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Frank Frank posted:

I dunno what BIS is but ok, I thought it looked good but every time I’ve been excited about something like this, it turns out to suck. Thanks! Finally caught a break this league.

Best in Slot

heisenberg posted:

1 - Use it
2 - "He can't keep getting away with this"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Frank Frank posted:

BIS = best in slot

Frank Frank posted:

There are only 2 and they are going for 20div a pop.

(Lmao)

I’m assuming the effect doesn’t go up by 81% double if I put it in the darkness enthroned belt, right?
the amount of multi you get per jewel goes up but the cap does not, so as long as you have four other ghastly eye jewels on your character you do not want to put it in the belt

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
the frank frankening will continue until morale improves

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

theshim posted:

BIS = best in slot

the amount of multi you get per jewel goes up but the cap does not, so as long as you have four other ghastly eye jewels on your character you do not want to put it in the belt

Excellent. Thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Current build status for my first real POE character: https://poe.ninja/pob/lhh

Getting from 91 to 92 is degrading. I can do t16 rare maps only dying occasionally, but then I risk a mission or unique map and lose all my XP. At least I'm finding currency and floor divs in the meantime; I'm up to three. If anyone sees anything I can upgrade for 1 div or cheaper that will greatly increase my DPS and/or survivability, feel free to suggest. I know my resists are way past max, but I'm saving up for a Skin of the Loyal or Skin of the Lords which don't have resists, so I needed to max out without body armor.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

LifeLynx posted:

Current build status for my first real POE character: https://poe.ninja/pob/lhh

Getting from 91 to 92 is degrading. I can do t16 rare maps only dying occasionally, but then I risk a mission or unique map and lose all my XP. At least I'm finding currency and floor divs in the meantime; I'm up to three. If anyone sees anything I can upgrade for 1 div or cheaper that will greatly increase my DPS and/or survivability, feel free to suggest. I know my resists are way past max, but I'm saving up for a Skin of the Loyal or Skin of the Lords which don't have resists, so I needed to max out without body armor.

Your life is very low. Spend 10-20c per slot on each slot to upgrade to a gear with life on it.

Your jewels are not good, spend those points on your passive tree rather than jewel slots until you can afford them.

Your cast when damage taken is level 11 and it should be level 1.

Run Uber lab

Awakened support gems are a good investment for your 6l

Skin of the Lords should be the last thing on your mind right now. A good one is 20div meanwhile you could increase your dos by 1000% for 5d

Edit: for reference, my cold dot build

nexous fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:negative: At least all the points put towards leech can go to other stuff now. I didn't think I'd get got by PoE but here I am. I've had spell leech since like level 40, thinking this entire time "hell yeah dude, I have so much passive energy shield regen from my dots, they're always on stuff, dealing spell damage to it!" I was about to invest in more of it to "really be tanky!"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

theshim posted:

the frank frankening will continue until morale improves

The last useful floor drop I saw was during the campaign, what morale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s why you want 5 other ghastlies btw

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

4 others, the Gaze itself counts as 1.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes but you can’t get to 100% chance to poison with only 4

I guess if you use UID or chance to poison gem

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm realizing with mild dread(I don't think I could put anything else on it) that "+X% elemental damage to attack skills" may very specifically exclude spells, despite them being skills I use to attack with. :thunk:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Skills have tags. In this case, it applies to any skill with the 'attack' tag.
For instance, if you look at boneshatter, you can see it has the attack tag, along with some others.

If you look at a spell like arc, instead of having the attack tag it has the spell tag.

The listed tags are helpful for figuring out what applies to what.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I'm usually good about that but I can definitely fix a handful of these errors that have added up. Do any tags apply to the DoT skills aside from "Duration"? Duration and Curse have been my guidelines thus far. Kinda like my necromancer years ago, I just typed Minions into every search bar until Act 10 was done.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I'm realizing with mild dread(I don't think I could put anything else on it) that "+X% elemental damage to attack skills" may very specifically exclude spells, despite them being skills I use to attack with. :thunk:

Yeah. Its a good habit to look at the skill tags when you’re considering item interactions. PoB can reveal this too, albeit indirectly unless you create some fake items to mess around with.

I did the same thing though last league, so dont feel too bad

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Bane is scaled by spell damage because of a special line on the gem, but generally spell damage will not scale damage over time that is caused by a spell - it's for hit damage. There are plenty of stats that do affect chaos dots, though. This is a quick and not exhaustive list but I think it covers all the relevant ones for bane - damage over time, generic "increased damage", damage over time multiplier, chaos damage, chaos damage over time, chaos damage over time multiplier.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I see Frank Frank is still at it!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Yeah I'm usually good about that but I can definitely fix a handful of these errors that have added up. Do any tags apply to the DoT skills aside from "Duration"? Duration and Curse have been my guidelines thus far. Kinda like my necromancer years ago, I just typed Minions into every search bar until Act 10 was done.

Let's look at Bane:

Chaos, Trigger, Spell, AoE, Duration, Hex

Chaos - It deals Chaos damage
Trigger - Bane prevents the direct use of the linked Hex skills as Bane itself will cast those Hexes when cast. One note: a skill cannot have two different triggers applied to it, it will be completely disabled in that case.
Spell - It is a spell you cast
AoE - It has an area of effect
Duration - the debuff from Bane lasts a certain amount of time
Hex - It deals with the application of Hexes

And Bane itself has the line "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effect". So the things that would scale Bane's damage would be:

Generic damage
Generic spell damage
Chaos damage
Area damage
Damage over time (note: Multiplier is better than Increased, because the former is a More and Mores are multiplicative with each other while Increased are additive)
Duration (increasing the duration doesn't increase the rate it deals damage, but increases how long the debuff lasts/decreases how often you need to cast it to maintain 100% uptime)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 8, 2023

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
To add a lil sidebar, the chaos damage specificity is one of the biggest reasons people are recommending you drop cold snap. If you scale chaos (or cold) damage through items or passives each item affix/passive/support gem is basically a lost opportunity to scale up either cold (or chaos, respectively) dps. Even if you’re getting something besides damage/defense from the unoptimal affix/passive/support gem (ie frenzy charges) there’s often a less costly way to add the same effect or better.

You could keep cold snap for the frenzy charge effect but use those gem sockets for some other spells (look at defiance banner, you may be able to fit it)

wemgo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 8, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want to apologize to my pick

I was wrong and posted an inartful save in an attempt to regain face. This was vain and unnecessary. It is ok to be wrong 🙏

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Whoah, Bane damage gets scaled by area damage? TIL.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

wemgo posted:

To add a lil sidebar, the chaos damage specificity is one of the biggest reasons people are recommending you drop cold snap. If you scale chaos (or cold) damage through items or passives you will lose an opportunity to scale up either cold (or chaos, respectively) dps. Even if you’re getting something besides damage/defense from that skill gem (ie frenzy charges) there’s often a less costly (more optimized) way to add the same effect or better.

You could keep cold snap for the frenzy charge effect but use those gem sockets for some other spells (look at defiance banner, you may be able to fit it)

Yeah, I've had a lot of extra slots so been using whatever but I think I can narrow it down to Important Chaos Things and a filler I can rapid fire. Cold Snap feels innately strong enough to drop and blow up little guys funneling in through any choke for easy frenzies, I can drop Frost Bomb and maybe some other things and shoot for a higher concentration of purple magics.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Yeah, I've had a lot of extra slots so been using whatever but I think I can narrow it down to Important Chaos Things and a filler I can rapid fire. Cold Snap feels innately strong enough to drop and blow up little guys funneling in through any choke for easy frenzies, I can drop Frost Bomb and maybe some other things and shoot for a higher concentration of purple magics.

You should try vaal cold snap if you havent! Become the blizzard!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

External Organs posted:

Whoah, Bane damage gets scaled by area damage? TIL.

Nope, I hosed up. It applies a debuff in an area that deals damage, it is not AoE damage itself (like Caustic Arrow's ground effect).

This will not be the last time I make such an error because PoE.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

wemgo posted:

You should try vaal cold snap if you havent! Become the blizzard!

oh right, I have a burner secondary wand and a vaal cold snap leveling just for achievement progress! I've barely touched Vaal spells, but collecting the gems constantly.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Im having weird luck this league. I think im 40-50 hours in and have found a bunch of high-value items but only a single floor div. Im not complaining, but i do find myself wondering if they changed something

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

I'd guess it mostly shines when you're running Delirium maps or something where just having a lot more monsters will pay off reliably. I like having the bosses show up from time to time so I unchecked it for the moment.

Yeah I'm doing it with delirium and harvest. I'll probably try it out, the bosses aren't very scary for me but they do slow me down a lot (and also as I just learned, normal beyond mobs stop spawning when they appear). Also I hate how long they take to drop their loot :argh:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

For some reason I found zero divine vessels until level 95. When I bought some I dropped them on the ground to make sure it wasn't my filter. Nope, just didn't get any

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Flavahbeast posted:

For some reason I found zero divine vessels until level 95. When I bought some I dropped them on the ground to make sure it wasn't my filter. Nope, just didn't get any

They feel like one of the more bizarrely feast-or-famine drops drops nowadays. One league you'll get a dozen in the first few days and the next none at all.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im trying to set up PoB so that it reasonably accurately calculates srs damage, and found that when i add a lvl1 temp chains gem to my srs to simulate my AG, my dps does down. Whats with that?

Then I spent a bunch of currency to get 100% poison chance without using a CtP gem, swapped in void manipulation and watched it go down again. Is there a different gem i should be using that is better than the flat chaos from CtP? Its going to be withering touch, isnt it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
On the official POE trade, is there a way to search in a non-strict way? For example, if I want to search for "+% to max life", I don't care how it got on there; explicit, implicit, fractured, crafted, who cares. I mean sometimes I do, but usually not. The worst thing is searching for an item and figuring out which modifier category it is by retyping a modifier until something shows results.

Don't get me started on +1 to levels of cold skill gems vs. +1 to levels of cold spell skill gems.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im trying to set up PoB so that it reasonably accurately calculates srs damage, and found that when i add a lvl1 temp chains gem to my srs to simulate my AG, my dps does down. Whats with that?

Then I spent a bunch of currency to get 100% poison chance without using a CtP gem, swapped in void manipulation and watched it go down again. Is there a different gem i should be using that is better than the flat chaos from CtP? Its going to be withering touch, isnt it

It won't pick up the extra curse mod from your AG's Windscream's boots (I'm assuming this is what you're doing), so you need to add that in Configuration --> Custom Modifiers

If you're using UiD instead of SiS, yes, Withering Touch. Wither is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

LifeLynx posted:

On the official POE trade, is there a way to search in a non-strict way? For example, if I want to search for "+% to max life", I don't care how it got on there; explicit, implicit, fractured, crafted, who cares. I mean sometimes I do, but usually not. The worst thing is searching for an item and figuring out which modifier category it is by retyping a modifier until something shows results.

Don't get me started on +1 to levels of cold skill gems vs. +1 to levels of cold spell skill gems.

You're looking for a "pseudo" search. Not all mods have a pseudo search filter though. But for example if you put in ~pseudo strength on the stat filter it will come up with "Pseudo +# total to strength" and it will count +strength implicits, explicits, +all attribute rolls, +strength and dex/int rolls, etc.