Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best practice is to have a water resistant printed map as fallback when/if your gadgets fail.

You can't really buy your way out of this problem, the closest you'll get is an Inreach. Which by all accounts is an excellent solution but it's still electronics and can still fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

something like the garmin gpsmap line or the inreach explorer

none of the watches are going to do what you want, and as above all of the options will be less reliable than a piece of paper

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I actually really like using my Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire on the trail, but if you're using the gps the entire time it goes from 15 days of battery life to more like 3-5. I do like the logging and tracking features tho, it helps me pace myself by keeping my heart rate in check.

I always carry a map and compass as a backup and have some experience orienteering so. Two is one and one is none and all that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

xzzy posted:

Best practice is to have a water resistant printed map as fallback when/if your gadgets fail.

You can't really buy your way out of this problem, the closest you'll get is an Inreach. Which by all accounts is an excellent solution but it's still electronics and can still fail.

It's also just really fun to navigate with a map and compass. I love spotting a ridge or water feature and figuring out where I am, where I'm looking, etc. Maps are fun to collect too. They're relatively cheap and don't take up much space.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive always wanted to get into using a map and compass more but have found it very difficult in the midwest. Our sea of trees and lakes in the boundary waters makes it a lot harder skill to master as compared to out west when Ive tried at least.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Thanks all! I'll take the overwhelming advice and go with a map and compass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ive always wanted to get into using a map and compass more but have found it very difficult in the midwest. Our sea of trees and lakes in the boundary waters makes it a lot harder skill to master as compared to out west when Ive tried at least.

Arguably that's when it's more important because there's no peaks to navigate off of. It's pretty easy to recognize "oh that's mt jimbob and my car is parked at the southwest slope and the sun is getting low so I know where west is, I'll just follow this valley in that direction." That's not to say you can't get lost in the hills, it happens all the time when people head into thick forest. But when the world is flat you really gotta have some mechanism to identify out what pond you're standing next to and using it to pick a heading to get yourself out.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I just got back from a hiking trip in the alps, and my phone was a mess for navigation. It kept overheating and freezing, and had it rained it would’ve been useless. I’m thinking it’s time to get a smart watch with some sort of trail navigation. Something that I could copy a GPX to and then follow. I don’t need any fitness features - just reliable, precise navigation. Is there any product like this? The Garmins seem to be stacked with unnecessary logging features.

Bonus if I could also use it for directions when cycling around town.

I'll second what everyone said about the value of carrying a paper map and compass (and knowing how to use them).

Having said that, I use Gaia GPS on my phone every hike and have never had overheating or freezing issues. Granted I only open it occasionally on the hike, not constant usage. Your initial problems may be due to issues with the phone or app itself (unless you're looking for constant usage, I could see that causing overheating).

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

TBF, the overheating was because I had the phone in my pocket and it was 30C/86F.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Honestly I've had the worst reliability problems with physical maps

-Easy to blow away in wind
-Non laminated easily torn, damaged by water
-Laminated not really foldable, doesn't fit in pocket, not so practical to keep checking, basically a kite

I've sent at least two maps into loving orbit. Now I just make sure there are at least 2 phones on a trip.

Edit: compass is essential either way, unless/until smartphone compasses are worth a poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Generate a map on caltopo with your route and waypoints and whatever info layers you want, then print it on regular paper and shove it in a ziplock bag.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Morbus posted:

-Laminated not really foldable, doesn't fit in pocket, not so practical to keep checking, basically a kite

I've sent at least two maps into loving orbit. Now I just make sure there are at least 2 phones on a trip.

Edit: compass is essential either way, unless/until smartphone compasses are worth a poo poo

A good technique here is to re-fold the map so the section you're looking at is exposed, and then use the map while it's still folded. Still tricky to re-fold the map or work in the rain, but it makes things a little more convenient.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Fool posted:

Generate a map on caltopo with your route and waypoints and whatever info layers you want, then print it on regular paper and shove it in a ziplock bag.

I've done this! It's nice to have a map of just the area you're going to be in. Not as unwieldy as a full map.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Morbus posted:

you need a map case

https://www.amazon.com/map-case/s?k=map+case

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Arguably that's when it's more important because there's no peaks to navigate off of.

Oh I completely agree! I’m just bad at it despite my previous attempts. One day I’ll master it but it’ll probably be years from now.

I’m in the midst of a big gear sell off and trading gear. Got a Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul headed my way for a 3 season pack. Still need something for winter with straps and ties off and with a good hip belt to connect my pulk too.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

waffle enthusiast posted:

Someone in the general bearshit thread was talking about bringing a tarp backpacking. I’ve been looking off and on but the ones at REI (e.g. Kammok/MSR) seem pretty pricey for just a 8’x10’-ish tarp — perhaps because of bells and whistles?

Is there a solid option for a moderately sized (ideally non-catenary) tarp for a backpacking kitchen/shelter that’s less than $150 or is that just kind of the sweet spot now?

Check out Paria, I've been impressed with their tent so far for the cost and they have a tarp for $80 ish.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
With the duration of fire bans this summer, I realize I should have a 2nd gas burner for larger groups. Up until now I've used a pocket rocket and either a camp fire or my firebox nano.
Rather than buying a second small stove and needing to carry a 2nd can of fuel, I was thinking of just getting a 2 burner stove.

It seems the Jetboil Genesis is the only real option that's light weight/compact enough to take on anything more than a car camping trip, or that will fit in a canoe barrel.

Just wondering if I'm missing any alternatives or if anyone has thoughts on the Jetboil. Merci

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Math You posted:

With the duration of fire bans this summer, I realize I should have a 2nd gas burner for larger groups. Up until now I've used a pocket rocket and either a camp fire or my firebox nano.
Rather than buying a second small stove and needing to carry a 2nd can of fuel, I was thinking of just getting a 2 burner stove.

It seems the Jetboil Genesis is the only real option that's light weight/compact enough to take on anything more than a car camping trip, or that will fit in a canoe barrel.

Just wondering if I'm missing any alternatives or if anyone has thoughts on the Jetboil. Merci

Do you really want a 2 burner stove, or do you just need something beefier to boil lots of water for a group? There are a lot of options if that's the case (jetboil sumo, or just any larger stove + larger pot...)

Sorry I don't have any experience with the 2 canister burner stoves

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

A good technique here is to re-fold the map so the section you're looking at is exposed, and then use the map while it's still folded. Still tricky to re-fold the map or work in the rain, but it makes things a little more convenient.

Yeah, the problem I always had with keeping a foldable map in a ziploc etc. is that, in wet weather, it's just a matter of days until the map gets wet, eventually ink starts blurring or paper tears etc. My hands are wet, water is dripping off my rainjacket hood while I read the map, the bag is getting rained on, it's just one of many losing battles vs. water. Laminating or putting the map in a case fixes this, but now it becomes pretty unwieldy and not pocketable.

At some point, the reality is I've had zero smartphone related failures in several years, and I'm gonna be using one anyway for GPS. 2 phones on a trip is backup enough for me. Plus, taking a map bearing is quicker and 100% accurate on a phone, vs. having to faff around with a flat surface/clipboard/whatever to get a paper map nice and flat. Also I can instantly switch between map layers to show/hide things like slope angle shading or satellite images, superimpose my track, and automatically read elevation from the topo data. I can check the map one handed and stow it in my pocket. I don't have to use a printer or worry about how to divide an itinerary into pages/detail zones. It's just a better experience overall imo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Taking a paper map is still a good precaution and you could prevent running by printing it on a color laser printer at a Kinkos or something

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phone is absolutely my go-to for all navigation, but you gotta have a backup plan. Paper can get wet and the ink runs, phones can run out of battery or malfunction if dropped. There's workarounds for everything but it still comes down to redundancy, and a piece of paper weighs almost nothing so it's zero burden to stuff in the bag.

Or I guess you could memorize the terrain as you walk through it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The community just needs to normalize sextant use.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I prefer to just rely on my excellent sense of direction and good luck.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

The phone is absolutely my go-to for all navigation, but you gotta have a backup plan. Paper can get wet and the ink runs, phones can run out of battery or malfunction if dropped. There's workarounds for everything but it still comes down to redundancy, and a piece of paper weighs almost nothing so it's zero burden to stuff in the bag.

Or I guess you could memorize the terrain as you walk through it.

This 100%. There’s a reason planes with high end electronic systems still also have analog gauges.

Unless it’s a zone I know really well, I always carry an analog map and a (real) watch with me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Apart from anything else using a touchscreen in the rain sucks. A map in a mapcase weighs almost nothing and always works.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

withak posted:

superultralight navigation strats

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I train for that in minecraft.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xzzy posted:

I train for that in minecraft.

Simply leave a trail of lit torches behind you wherever you go.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Morbus posted:

Do you really want a 2 burner stove, or do you just need something beefier to boil lots of water for a group? There are a lot of options if that's the case (jetboil sumo, or just any larger stove + larger pot...)

Sorry I don't have any experience with the 2 canister burner stoves

I, a monster, sometimes cook things that involve boiling water in two separate vessels or even sauteing /frying things in a pan.
I can get by with 1 usually but it's definitely more difficult when cooking for 4-6.
I'll usually ask someone else to bring a stove which invariably ends up being an old school Coleman stove we have to lug around.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
For any Oregon goons, REI opened a new “resupply” store just outside of Portland. It’s 100% used gear and is a proper full sized store. Lots of good deals to be had.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

withak posted:

pre-RIP to this lad

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

yoohoo posted:

For any Oregon goons, REI opened a new “resupply” store just outside of Portland. It’s 100% used gear and is a proper full sized store. Lots of good deals to be had.

I'm bummed out that all of the stores are now redirecting their returns to that store instead though. Now if I want to look through used deals its going to be a 35min drive instead of a 5min drive.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

cerious posted:

I'm bummed out that all of the stores are now redirecting their returns to that store instead though. Now if I want to look through used deals its going to be a 35min drive instead of a 5min drive.

Ah I didn’t realize that’s what was happening. There’s so much gear there that I figured they were drawing from a much larger selection of stores, while still keeping garage sale sections in stores that weren’t the one immediately next door.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking for a sled I can pull behind myself while snowshoeing this winter. Partly it will be to haul a toddler on our regular snowshoe adventures, but I also have wanted to try some basic winter camping for a while. Nothing real serious yet--probably just walking a couple hundred feet from my car at a sno park at first, but I do know of some lakes nearby that I could in theory do eventually.

I see some really fancy sleds/polks out there, but I don't really want to drop a ton of money in case it doesn't get used too much. On the other hand, this is a whole category that I know absolutely nothing about, so I'm worried about buying too cheap. Is something like this good enough? https://www.amazon.com/Shappell-Jet-Sled-Multi-Purpose/dp/B002RWBPQM/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DIY pulk sleds are pretty common, you can find dozens of walkthroughs out there and it'll save you a lot of money. The sled you linked will almost certainly work but you'll want to affix stiff poles instead of just the string (so the sled isn't constantly smacking you in the back of your legs).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I followed these ( https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/diy-make-your-own-pulk-sled ) instructions to make mine and it was really straightforward.

The grommets are optional if you don't have the tool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Fool posted:

I followed these ( https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/diy-make-your-own-pulk-sled ) instructions to make mine and it was really straightforward.

Grommet setters are inexpensive and very useful tools to own that open up your options for repairing and constructing new gear. Not trying to be contrarian, I just found I use mine way more than I expected to so now I suggest them to anyone. I've got a big one for like tarp grommets and a small one for stuff like little bags, leather work, oddball little repairs and improvements. I've put cords on 3-4 palm leaf cowboy hats for coworkers with it, they're a fun little tool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Three tools I use way more than I thought I would was a rivnut installer, a grommet tool, and a speedy stitcher.

Oh and a glue gun.

Not necessarily for hiking gear but they definitely get used a lot on that stuff. They're just handy tools for life.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've never used a rivnut tool but I can see applications for one in my life. I just got a Scamp camper this year and the seller threw in a pop rivet tool and about 1000 rivets. Sooo many things are held together with rivets around my house now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

xzzy posted:

DIY pulk sleds are pretty common, you can find dozens of walkthroughs out there and it'll save you a lot of money. The sled you linked will almost certainly work but you'll want to affix stiff poles instead of just the string (so the sled isn't constantly smacking you in the back of your legs).

The Fool posted:

Thanks! I was vaguely aware of DIY pulk systems, but that link looks to be a great guide.

I noticed one of the reviews for the sled I linked said that it's a bit too wide for their snowshoe track, which was a hassle. The reviews are overall very good, but most aren't for snowshoeing.

I can see actual expedition pulk systems like this Granite Gear one are more tapered on the base, which makes sense now that I think about it. They also cost far more than I want to spend, though. The only inexpensive streamlined shape I could find was this REI one, which according to recent reviews went downhill in quality.

Will I regret getting that wider flat-bottomed sled (which is otherwise well-reviewed) for pulling behind me while snowshoeing?