Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah I’m actually really excited to watch the defense. David Long Jr is another injury prone guy that’s a high level starter when playing so it should be fun for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hope we beat the Chargers, but Tua plays poorly so I can complain :colbert:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I actually don't understand why the Miami hype seems so much more muted now than it was earlier in the offseason. Losing Ramsey sucks but it was already a team that probably would have beat Buffalo in the postseason with even an adequate QB2.

Guess there's just no air left in the room with all the Jets hype.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

think the Dolphins hype train died down after Jalen Ramsey's injury. Which is a bit much, that's not enough to pencil them in as a solid 4th in the division, but I get it with the Jets hype.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Miami hype died easily because nobody had any genuine faith in it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think it's reasonable to dial back the hype. The uninjured Dolphins are a top 3 roster, but X, Long, Armstead, Tua and Mostert are all notoriously injury prone, Ramsey is already injured and Waddle, Smith and Jeff Wilson are already nicked up.

And they're in a brutal division with a brutal schedule

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Dolphins have two great WR's and added one of the best DC's in football to a defense that has a lot of talent on it. I can't see them not being good even if i think Tua is pretty mediocre.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.theonion.com/2023-nfl-season-preview-afc-1850808622/slides/2

Bills

Strength: They probably won’t have a guy nearly die on the field again.
Weakness: All the talent on the roster will really force the Bills to struggle to get blown out in the playoffs.
Prediction: Another division title will propel the Bills into the upper echelon of NFL teams who just can’t get it done.

Dolphins:

Strength: While the secondary lacks top-tier talent, several of the cornerbacks were able to watch game film and identify which plays were passes.
Weakness: Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa apparently did jiujitsu training this offseason to learn how to get sacked better, if that gives you an idea of where this team is at.
Prediction: Jalen Ramsey’s season-ending injury won’t sink the Dolphins hopes the way Tua Tagovailoa’s upcoming one will.

Patriots:

Strength: The newly signed JuJu Smith-Schuster and Ezekiel Elliott could be huge upgrades to the offense if they end up playing quarterback.
Weakness: One sad old man clinging to faded glory is still the biggest upside this franchise has.
Prediction: The kind of season that will make Patriots fans act like they haven’t won a championship since 1899.

Jets:

Strength: Aaron Rodgers’ arrival has the Jets poised for an entirely new era of dysfunction.
Weakness: Aaron Rodgers didn’t bring enough magic crystals.
Prediction: Aaron Rodgers will bring the Jets to the dazzling heights of repeatedly failing to convert third and short.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://twitter.com/DavidFurones_/status/1699800374637629623?s=20

Plus we’ve got that sweet sweet Renaldo Hill insider info :ninja: 🥷

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

Hard to poke holes at the defense, but defenses don't tend to be as consistent year-to-year as offenses and the Jets had incredible injury luck with their D last year.
A fair point. They can't consistently expect to be as healthy on defense but they also suffered from some of the worse defensive turnover luck in recent memory that tends to regress at a higher rate than injury luck.

The defense should absolutely turn the ball over at a higher clip than last year in any case.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://twitter.com/danieloyefusi/status/1699828152543977594?s=46

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
does the Phins GM intentionally go after injury prone dudes or is it a long streak of bad luck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SKProFootball/status/1699840804787786175

[michael jackson eating popcorn]

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Zach Wilson finally gets his revenge.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing but 100% focus on football. We are so loving back.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

The Dolphins were pretty meh last year and did pretty much nothing in the offseason yet they are winning the super bowl huh?

mcmagic posted:

The Dolphins have two great WR's and added one of the best DC's in football to a defense that has a lot of talent on it. I can't see them not being good even if i think Tua is pretty mediocre.

I'm convinced mcmagic is actually two different people account sharing btw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I can think they are better than the Patriots without thinking they are winning the superbowl, no? They were better last year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sorry I'm just really upset that my team is staring down the barrel of Lamm and Eichenberg vs Bosa and Mack

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah we seem to sign injury prone dudes risk be damned and wouldn’t you know it we keep getting injured

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

the phins offense is like a beautiful old jag. when that bad boy's running it's a loving sight to behold but uhhh that doesn't happen often

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Armstead was an excellent tackle and scheme fit, and the only reason he was available was cuase he's injury prone. I have no issue signing him, I detest the hand waving of the backup situation

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Armstead was an excellent tackle and scheme fit, and the only reason he was available was cuase he's injury prone. I have no issue signing him, I detest the hand waving of the backup situation

How many teams in the NFL have reasonable backup tackle situations? Even if you try to get good backups (like the Jets did) it's still impossible.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Armstead is “questionable but in doubt” lmao for WEEK ONE

I say this every year but Grier needs to have a knife at his back during the entire season and if he even looks at anything but offensive line at any stage you end it.

I’m kidding of course I’m just so tired of this same ol song

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I'm really skeptical of the Dolphins' alleged improvement over the offseason, basically comes down to Ramsey and Long, one of whom is already out most of the year, and Fangio. I could buy the defense being better but I could also buy it being pretty much the same.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I'm really skeptical of the Dolphins' alleged improvement over the offseason, basically comes down to Ramsey and Long, one of whom is already out most of the year, and Fangio. I could buy the defense being better but I could also buy it being pretty much the same.

It's also quite a few folks who were injured last season returning. Plus our shiny new CB from the draft who has looked incredibly promising. But yeah, it'd be foolish not to be skeptical. Miami needs everyone to stay healthy and it just likely wont happen.

Side note how the hell does Indy have Ryan Hayes as their backup LT? Holy poo poo. He wasnt good in the pre-season... how

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'll believe Miami has turned a corner when they win a playoff game in my adult life.

I was 15 when we last won a playoff game. I am about to turn 38.

Been tricked into optimism too many times.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looks like we're going to get a pretty healthy matchup on both teams.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the Bills real problem on defense other than injuries was coaching. And that’s back to where it was when it was a real strength.

Any upgrade at guard puts the offense way ahead of where it was last year. Plus second year OC might learn a thing or two? Again, Buffalos problems have been coordinators not as much players

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ehud posted:

mcmagic posted:

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of lovely lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the gently caress up mcmagic" to this post!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

People he works with say he's an entirely different guy after he has his lunchtime bathroom trips

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

i do think fangio by himself is enough to improve the defense albeit probably not to a top 10 defense, its the whole o-line situation that seems like the most glaring concern.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So how's the Dolphins OL and running game.

Asking for no particular reason

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Their oline is bad, and so their run game will probably also be bad.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

does the Phins GM intentionally go after injury prone dudes or is it a long streak of bad luck?

Armstead has never been able to stay healthy, so none of his issues should be surprising. He’s never played a full season and in half of his seasons he’s missed six or more games. Even when he does play he’s often limited by injury. Great player when his healthy, which isn’t often enough.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

a neat cape posted:

So how's the Dolphins OL and running game.

Asking for no particular reason

If Armstead doesn’t play, then real bad. The running game is good when they use it, which is inconsistent. It probably won’t be good though, if Armstead doesn’t play.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

right, I mean Armstead is injury prone and that was an known issue when we signed him. I don't think it's a situation of MIA evaluating players and disregarding those concerns-- even with those concerns he was the consensus best tackle in FA

IMO there's plenty to complain about in terms of how MIA approached the OL this season, but it was clearly a priority last year and signing Armstead was a reflection of that. i'm not looking back a year and regretting not sticking with Jesse Davis

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That feels like exactly what 3-5 of us have been saying

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh yeah I know it's nothing new, was more responding to Relentlessboredomm and the sentiment of "why is MIA always surprised that they sign injury prone players who proceed to get injured"

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Jets suck.
Fish suck.
Pats suck.

bills BITHC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat