Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Google maps just updated their street view of Lytton BC, famous for getting to like 120F and then promptly burning to the ground. The whole town is gone but you can still see where the businesses were and their reviews. It's pretty eerie.

It burned down a second time last year, and it looks like it's burning down a third time this year: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/kookipi-wildfire-damage-1.6959313

You know, just to be sure.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fell Mood posted:

What does that report say is the cause of a sudden increase in the rate of warming?

I was thinking of the SR15 report, but I'm sure the AR6 reports have similar conclusions:

quote:

In the 2020s, internal climate variability leads to higher warming than projected, in a reverse development to what happened in the so-called ‘hiatus’ period of the 2000s. Temperatures are regularly above 1.5°C of warming, although
radiative forcing is consistent with a warming of 1.2°C or 1.3°C.

if climate models are us going up the trail to the top of the mountain of doom, the trail is bumpy in ways that average out over the long run. so we were cooler than we should be in the oughts, and now we're hotter than we should be

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Fell Mood posted:

So does anyone know what unforseen feedback loop has been triggered? My theory is that the deep ocean has been absorbing excess heat for decades and has finally stopped. It seems liike something has changed just within the past year.

One of the experiments that Exxon commissioned in the 70s was related to determining how much carbon (and possibly heat?) was stored by the ocean; did they ever publicly release their findings?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's summer

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TehSaurus posted:

sorry for your loss but I bet your meltdown will own so who can say if it is good or bad

I'm not a glacier :confused:

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Lets look at this glass half full, not half empty. Think of all the new land that will be opened up to oil drilling and mining. Its not like that ice was doing anything for GDP growth.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Trabisnikof posted:

I was thinking of the SR15 report, but I'm sure the AR6 reports have similar conclusions:

if climate models are us going up the trail to the top of the mountain of doom, the trail is bumpy in ways that average out over the long run. so we were cooler than we should be in the oughts, and now we're hotter than we should be

My mistake. I thought we were hotter than expected. In reality it seems like we had a reprieve in the 2010s due to vairabilty, and now things are "normal" or rather in line with expectations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom posted:

One of the experiments that Exxon commissioned in the 70s was related to determining how much carbon (and possibly heat?) was stored by the ocean; did they ever publicly release their findings?

"How much heat?"

*Points outside*

"That much"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:golfclap:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

smoobles posted:

it's summer

oh, that's what it is [cranks A/C]

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bdelle harvey shocked face at newest climate news

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

:perfect:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

who wants to be a bdellionaire

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
things seem really bad in Greece

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

I'm going with "But, if we act now"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
"free market"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
got linked this in a discord
https://www.okdoomer.io/nobodys-driving/
which one of you is this lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Covid thread has been following her for years. She’s awesome. One of us!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

TehSaurus posted:

Covid thread has been following her for years. She’s awesome. One of us!

uh, this isn't the shining endorsement you think it is lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Truga posted:

Kinda like the cut of this girl’s jib. Makes me think of Tim Watkins’ stuff over at https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Truga posted:

this instantly made me think about a video i saw years ago where a woman in a pickup driving on a divided highway didn't like that someone merged in front of her. the truck driver tailgated the car for awhile then raced up to pass the car, took her hands off the wheel to give the car driver double middle fingers, and the truck immediately swerved hard to the left and hit the centre ditch

if the truck had slammed into the car instead it would have been a great metaphor for the situation we're currently in i guess

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cold on a Cob posted:

if the truck had slammed into the car instead it would have been a great metaphor for the situation we're currently in i guess
lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Kinda like the cut of this girl’s jib. Makes me think of Tim Watkins’ stuff over at https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk

read some stuff of his before and yeah it's great

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1700012820471963676?s=20

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1699939104245555556?s=20

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/09/roadkill-endangered-animals-amphibians/675241/

quote:

But roadkill is also a culprit in our planet’s current mass die-​off. Every year American cars hit more than 1 million large animals, such as deer, elk, and moose, and as many as 340 million birds; across the continent, roadkill may claim the lives of billions of pollinating insects. The ranks of the victims include many endangered species: One 2008 congressional report found that traffic existentially threatens at least 21 critters in the U.S., including the Houston toad and the Hawaiian goose. If the last-ever California tiger salamander shuffles off this mortal coil, the odds are decent that it will happen on rain-​slick blacktop one damp spring night.

When an aggregation of libidinous herps boils over a road, the outcome is what some biologists call, none too scientifically, a “massive squishing.” Squishing statistics are both appalling and abstract, in the way that astronomical death tolls often are: nearly 28,000 leopard frogs killed over two separate two-year periods on a Lake Erie causeway; up to 10,000 red-​sided garter snakes slain in one season in Manitoba; 2,500 toads flattened on a French road. In Indiana, scientists who counted more than 10,000 crushed animals found that 95 percent were reptiles and amphibians. You’ve probably never heard one pop beneath your tires, but in many places herps—​not deer, not squirrels—​make up most vertebrate roadkill.

For a long time, however, few considered roadkill a threat. Cars might have been pulverizing millions of frogs each year, but millions more crawled in the wings. Even Henry David Thoreau considered wagon-​flattenings cause for perverse celebration. “I love to see that Nature is so rife with life that myriads can be afforded to be sacrificed … that tender organizations can be so serenely squashed out of existence like pulp,” Thoreau raved in Walden, “tadpoles which herons gobble up, and tortoises and toads run over in the road.”

Many biologists concurred. Roadkill was widely considered “compensatory mortality,” a form of death balanced by the scales of life. If more frogs were flattened, the thinking went, maybe fewer would get eaten by predators, or there would be more food for their tadpoles. “When you deal with a group like amphibians, which have a high reproductive rate, people just think, Well, they’ll be able to compensate for road mortality,” a Canadian biologist named Lenore Fahrig told me. “The idea that roads actually have effects on populations, I don’t think that was on anybody’s radar at all.”

In the 1990s, she noticed that the herp carnage was worse on a quieter road near her Ottawa home than on the busier one—even though frogs readily cross busy streets, fewer cars had somehow produced more death. Fahrig puzzled over the conundrum and came up with a hypothesis: The busy road didn’t have many frogkills, because there weren’t many frogs left to kill. Traffic, she suspected, had already wiped out the local population.

Given enough time and traffic, roadkill could indeed diminish a population, even extirpate it. Roadkill was not exclusively a source of compensatory mortality: It could also be additive mortality, death that never came out in nature’s wash.

The diminishment of herps is a hard problem to grasp. Utter extinction, the fate that befell the passenger pigeon and the Carolina parakeet, is a concept universally understood. Yet extinction is rarely instantaneous, and the gradual ebbing of abundance that precedes it strains language. Some researchers have called such insidious losses “defaunation”; others know them as “biological annihilation.” The biologist E. O. Wilson favored “Eremocene”: the age of loneliness, a near and desolate future in which humankind bestrides an empty world, or perhaps drives over it.

This article reminds me of when I got to see a northern alligator lizard on the road. I helped it along to get to the other side, but as I turned back from walking my dog, discovered it had gone back out onto the road and someone hit. Car culture is depressing on so many levels but roadkill seriously breaks my heart.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

cat 7 then Boston

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, roadkill as a partial explanation for insect die off has definitely been a thing for a while. It's telling that just about everyone (myself included) talks about insects mostly in terms of how much we remember them being plastered all over our windshields twenty years ago.

Not a biologist and obviously just shitposting, but it certainly seems like roadkill can contribute enough to weaken local population and make them vulnerable to other threats, such as a rapidly changing climate and endless human encroachment, so that it contributes to massive population decline even if the numbers don't seem that bad on their own.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the bugs are gone because Joe Biden is making me eat them all

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

go away

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i mean its no endorsement of a senile rapist for president but its pretty good

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mad?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

You endorse and defend a rapist president. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I, too, have strong opinions about that particular president.