Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Bregor posted:

I can’t tell you what a pain in the rear end it used to be just to go watch some cutscenes :smith:

"All right we got six people, all looking to do the battlefield, everyone ready?"
"just gotta catch a couple cutscenes then I will be"

Naturally thats a multiple hours long hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Capital Letdown posted:

"All right we got six people, all looking to do the battlefield, everyone ready?"

I actually grimaced reading this. Yeah.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 55: Fenrir

Found him.

I was already breaking things with Carbuncle before we met, it's fine.

I can say nothing yet again.

Tenzen that's...

Alright Tenzen.

I don't need to say more than that. We both feel used. Irreversible damage has been done but we can make that damage count. We have to make it count.

We need to get to the elevator at B. As you can see from the drawings on the map we have a number of hidden walls to pass through. There is also a lower level accessed by holes in the inner ring, the purple on the map represents the lower level. So basically we go around the outer ring then drop down a hole to get to the elevator. Kuluu architecture is almost as bad as Zilart architecture.

No traps at least.

At the bottom is a Fenrir door.

Like last time I have no idea how the machine works but there is only one button so...

I also don't get it.

Zwoop!

Heavens Tower

The yep this feels like the past alright, you can tell by the color! Through my many trips to the past I've become sort of an expert on the subject. It feels wrong to be comfortable with this. Anyway there is Fenrir and... is that Esha'ntarl?

This is important.

poo poo.

We need to find Prishe.

Zoops are cheating.

I mean the Zilart have been taken care of for the most part. No one ever believes me about the floating sky machine. Well some pirates I guess.

I don't think Prishe would start the end of everything... Willingly... Probably...

They've done a poo poo job so far.

Ugh... The more I think about Louverance the more I want to deck him... I don't know why...

Later Tenzen. We'll catch up on our traumas soon.

That's my catchphrase, don't wear it out!

Nope.

Even I have my own motives.

And I will get right on that...

Right after I quiet a rainbow.

Next time: I have words with Carbuncle

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 6, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

For some reason this reminds me of that Dril tweet about drunk driving.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Capital Letdown posted:

I had an LS mate who wanted to get throught CoP; his initial shouts got about 15 ppl to join. The whole thing was, "we'll do the battlefields for you, but since we're meeting once a week, doing the cutscenes inbetween is on you." By the end it was him, me, and a friend of his from another LS and the three of us begging our friends/LS mates for help.

Fat and Useless posted:

Chapter 55: Fenrir

I love Esha'ntarl; she's the best. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Melomane Mallet posted:

"Tell me when and where and I'll fuckin merk 'em." She's great.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Melomane Mallet posted:

Yeah I would say we’re getting to the good part of CoP, but a. all of it is good, and b. we’re still in Three Paths

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

56: Three Paths Interlude 1: End Of The Rainbow

I am being used to hasten a reset of the world. Not just me either, Carbuncle is using other adventurers as well. Unknowingly they gather more and more energy from the sleeping avatars and soon they will awaken.

The war between the terrestrial avatars and the sleeping gods will not happen. I'm stopping this.

Prelude

I hold back my rage until I know what Carbuncle wants.

And what if they didn't learn anything from us? What if they took a look at what is going on right now? They'd torch the place.

You want to try and bring Fenrir back.

The amount of energy you'd need for that is absurd. Not to mention I'd probably die in the process. Doing this is irresponsible even if the sleeping gods weren't in danger of waking up soon.

If I don't do it he'll get some other poor fool.

I need to figure out a way to stop Carbuncle from doing this. First off I have no intention of summoning Fenrir. Second I'm done with summoning, I'll not bring about our end if I can help it. Just taking the avatar's power shouldn't set off the alarm clock, using it will.

These are meant for 18 adventurers much like the five Ark Angel fight.

Anyway she's right I belong to neither the Zilart nor the terrestrial avatars. My mortality is the only thing keeping the current world taped together.

If I don't build up and use full force these avatars will kill me once they get low on health. The elementals disappear once you finish the avatar. The elementals notably share hate with the avatar so whatever is tanking this gets blasted. Oh by the way no trusts allowed.

When defeated they all say the same thing...

Again...

and again...

and again...

more...

It hurts.

Before I can say no the power bursts forth.

Ifrit... But I didn't summon him?

Well Carbuncle what have you learned.

Fighting these one at a time nearly killed me.

They are feeding off the fountain's power. They say it is the source of all magic. If it goes so does Fenrir's soul. We've started the end.

I'm not channeling them. They exist inside of me. Like you wanted.

Better terrestrial avatars than you have tried me.

The gimmick here is once you knock enough health off Carby the gods start tagging in.

I have enough hanging over my head. I don't need to worry about my supposed allies killing me too.

I'll smash every last ruby if I have to.

Today is not the day I die nor is it the day I let an apocalyptical war break out caused by my hands.

Sorrow

And now I stand here. The power of the sleeping gods and the power they took from the fountain inside of me. Am I still mortal? Have my chains been broken yet?

I won't destroy the fountain and those connected to it today.

I broke one chain at least.

Something inside me feels different. I've felt off even before I started eating gods. But it's not a bad kind of off... It is a lot more noticeable when I'm alone. This is something for me to ponder later. Let's go help Ulmia search for Prishe.

Next time: The second path

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 6, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

There is no longer a god?

Yes there is, and its name is Visaria :devil:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Get carbonked.

Shame you couldn't keep the power of multiple gods, I feel like that would've helped make some of the coming fights easier.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

What happens if you go "Nah, i'm good"?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Regallion posted:

What happens if you go "Nah, i'm good"?

Good question.

Carbuncle destroys himself to force the energy out of you.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 57: A Prishe Hunt

So when looking for Ulmia the obvious choice is the church. I hate the church. Let's try church adjacent first.

That... Yeah that sums it up.

Yeeeeeeeah...

Right. Where is she anyway?

On one hand I don't have to go deal with the church right now. On the other I'm going to have to go deal with the church later because Ulmia won't just ignore them.

My Ulmia is in danger sense is tingling.

Oh good she's in one piece.

Adorable. She's fine(probably). Everything is fine(except the poo poo that ain't).

Oh I had a message or something...

*Insert Visaria complaints here*

One person in the church has my back.

Church drama!

Like I said back at the mother crystal, it's fine as long as you don't sing the whole thing. Though even just part of it seemed to have funky effects when Prishe did it...

*Insert snide Visaria comment here*

Does anyone else have a headache all of a sudden? Just me?

Understood. Song equals sword. Do not sing song.

... and you believed that? What the hell am I saying? You innocent little bean, of course you thought that. Just the goodest.

Speaking of headaches.

Headaches upon headaches.

Next time: Dissidia if you squint hard enough

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like notable stretches of this plot is lurking around in the background while other people discuss the plot, then sneaking off to solve the problems they're only going to talk about, not actually solve themselves(or are planning to solve in patently stupid ways).

Hoyota
Oct 3, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like notable stretches of this plot is lurking around in the background while other people discuss the plot, then sneaking off to solve the problems they're only going to talk about, not actually solve themselves(or are planning to solve in patently stupid ways).

Short and concise synopsis of FFXI right here folks.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

But why do stuff, or show you others doing stuff, when you can just have Elvaans drone on and on about it?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

For better or worse I cut next to nothing out.

Sometimes you just get one of these where Ulmia has just been waiting for you or Prishe to show up and you get a little background info on something like how the sword and song came to be and then they remind you not to forget the other paths of 3 paths. Also you have a cat following you, go see Prishe and Shantotto.

As you get deeper in the expansions the game will start to do scenes where the adventurer isn't present like 14 but we will never get the 14 levels of meanwhiles. The ending* of the game happened when Heavensward was coming out and the golden formula was just starting to have a real form. Rarely does something actually push plot forward if YOU don't push it. Everything in this game is both your fault and you solving it. No really that is the actual plot of this LP.

Also as we go the animation starts playing a role giving cutscenes a little more life. Visaria doesn't punch fist and nod as much as the warrior of light, yet. Sometimes you get a panic emote. She will eventually learn to whip out her weapons. There is a cutscene post Chains with Prishe where the animation is Hildibrand-like and I will never be able to capture it in screenshots. Hell I can barely take a shot fast enough to capture a cat girl listening at the door before she bolts, I had to go to video for that. The fourth crystal was a NIGHTMARE to capture.

*first ending

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

As you get deeper in the expansions the game will start to do scenes where the adventurer isn't present like 14 but we will never get the 14 levels of meanwhiles. The ending* of the game happened when Heavensward was coming out and the golden formula was just starting to have a real form. Rarely does something actually push plot forward if YOU don't push it. Everything in this game is both your fault and you solving it. No really that is the actual plot of this LP.

Oh, I wasn't really complaining about the adventurer's presence, just...

One of my persistent bugbears when it comes to FF14 is how the adventurer is always present but never really part of what's going on. Everyone just talks over you, comes to a conclusion(usually one the player, if given a voice, could have come to like twenty hours of playtime ago because it's blazingly obvious), then looks at you and goes: "Gee, John Adventure, you ready for this?" and you do a hearty canned emote and the scene is over. The game wants you so badly to feel like you're an important protagonist but is so bad at actually getting it across.

I realize that there's a limited amount of story interactivity possible in an MMO unless you want the design team to start getting institutionalized from stress, but the execution was driving me insane.

I feel like I could've dealt with it better if the game just stated you were in no way fated or important, but the actual fated, important people could for [reasons] not go do things, so you had to be their number-one legbreaker simply because of competence and a worrying degree of enthusiasm for snapping villainous shins in half.

FF11, it feels like, has a bit less kayfabe going on in that regard. It seems to be a bit more earnest about the fact that what's happening is everyone else's story but you're really excellent at turning a villain's skull inside out when they're about to interrupt the proceedings with a war crime. So it feels more like it acknowledges your actual role as the protagonists' bodyguard rather than as a protagonist in your own right.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, I wasn't really complaining about the adventurer's presence, just...

One of my persistent bugbears when it comes to FF14 is how the adventurer is always present but never really part of what's going on. Everyone just talks over you, comes to a conclusion(usually one the player, if given a voice, could have come to like twenty hours of playtime ago because it's blazingly obvious), then looks at you and goes: "Gee, John Adventure, you ready for this?" and you do a hearty canned emote and the scene is over. The game wants you so badly to feel like you're an important protagonist but is so bad at actually getting it across.

I realize that there's a limited amount of story interactivity possible in an MMO unless you want the design team to start getting institutionalized from stress, but the execution was driving me insane.

I feel like I could've dealt with it better if the game just stated you were in no way fated or important, but the actual fated, important people could for [reasons] not go do things, so you had to be their number-one legbreaker simply because of competence and a worrying degree of enthusiasm for snapping villainous shins in half.

FF11, it feels like, has a bit less kayfabe going on in that regard. It seems to be a bit more earnest about the fact that what's happening is everyone else's story but you're really excellent at turning a villain's skull inside out when they're about to interrupt the proceedings with a war crime. So it feels more like it acknowledges your actual role as the protagonists' bodyguard rather than as a protagonist in your own right.

Chains is Prishe and Selh'teus' wild ride. We are the designated driver of the story. Hell a lot of characters actually make things worse for the adventurer.

If the adventurer never exists or fails at something, things go very very wrong. Time and the world are both active characters in 11. Both of them HATE you and the poo poo you do to them. They hate it more when you don't do the poo poo you do to them.

With out spoiling it there is one story that is purely the adventurer's with a side of someone else whos life we've turned into an unending hell. Because of how badly existence buckles when you don't exist you are clearly some semi-divine load bearing drywall. We will get to this more after Chains is done.

I think you actually could make 11 a single player game with a player voice and probably even 14 with some work since WoL is very much their own character. For 11 you'd need to cut some redundant information you are given though as that has been one of Visaria's biggest gripes so far(GATE BAD SWORD NO). Heck some of the choices in 11 have actual weight in my mind like the carbuncle prime fight and not giving back the fountain's power. No the game is not going to let you do that but you force the game to rip it from you. Some choices are extremely mean compared to 14 where on your most rear end in a top hat day you may kill someone's god even if you don't have to.

What is neat with 11 and 14 is you can see places where they learned from each other and where they didn't. Adoulin(3-27-13) is a proto-ff14arr(8-27-13) and has elements of the 2010 ff14 in it especially some dire map design. But this is much later and a whole update can talk about 11 and 14. Koji Fox is probably responsible for every Tarutaru vocal tick.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

That guy's name is Bonarpant

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 58: Sin Hunters

Anyone seen a dingus around here?

I gave back the fountain juice. I should be normal. Anyway while you are awake, have you seen my dingus?

Thanks.

That is okay! Probably! I'm sure Diabolos is fine with whatever. The Prishe darkness thing is less okay but also maybe normal in a not normal way...

Oh right I never resolved that... Sorry 'bout that. Do you have my dingus?

Zoops! Anyway I'm not really welcome in like half of the city, can you figure out this Prishe thing instead?

Good they aren't after me or Ulmia.

While I've accepted death this is still new to Ulmia.

Alright what is the plan here... Kick Yoran at them... Run to zoop? No. Ulmia can't zoop... Try and make it to Shantotto and die a much faster death?

Would you stop crying Yoran I'm trying to think.

Ulmia... I... You sweet.... sweet bean. I'm kicking the Tarutaru.

Watch those spicy words Ulmia.

Got a plan Prishe?

Don't get excited we may still explode.

Look man... It wasn't me this time.

Come here Yoran you are gonna stare into this corner.

Should I have been wearing gloves when I went magicite gathering? Is it safe to stand next to Prishe? Who knows?

The question wasn't answered... Is this tingly feeling inside of me because I touched the funny rocks? Just to be clear I did NOT put one near my mouth.

Also what are we doing now Prishe?

An unstoppable force.

And so we follow Prishe to the middle of nowhere.

Memories light the corners of my mind. Screw this place...

Nah.

Oh so that is what it was for I guess?

I'd kinda also like to know the plan Prishe...

I'm going to be fighting aren't I?

Beastmaster, Dragoon, Dark Knight. This fight isn't very hard here but in the high tier version the extra targets complicate things.

I actually let Prishe do most of the work.

Things are gettin' fuzzy...

I'm letting Prishe run off this time, she'll get lost in the maze that is Uleguerand anyway.

Me and Prishe were definitely just in Shikaree Z's mind.

I think we just pulled an Eald'narche...

But that is impossible for both of us because of the emptiness. Right?

Next time: Prishe probably shouldn't be in charge of the magicite but I don't have gloves on

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love Prishe. "Time to go THROW DOWN with Bahamut." Drop kick him, DROP KICK HIM.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I love Prishe. "Time to go THROW DOWN with Bahamut." Drop kick him, DROP KICK HIM.

Esha'ntarl's plan is exactly this.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh you’re back at Attohwa Chasm. Climb the rock again! :v:

The Mithran Trackers are dope. That mission fight was fun at 75 cap, there was also a repeatable fight where you could get some good loot (at least the dagger was cool, don’t know about the rest) and the HTMB is still fun now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bregor posted:

That mission fight was fun at 75 cap, there was also a repeatable fight where you could get some good loot (at least the dagger was cool, don’t know about the rest) and the HTMB is still fun now.

This was the Hagun fight wasn't it? And you DID have the climb the drat rock for every repetition, or something? I never played melee jobs.

Say what you want about Prishe but at least she doesn't just sit around and let the player do everything.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This was the Hagun fight wasn't it? And you DID have the climb the drat rock for every repetition, or something? I never played melee jobs.

Say what you want about Prishe but at least she doesn't just sit around and let the player do everything.

Hagun fight was the antlion ENM in the same zone, and yeah I climbed that drat rock once a week to do it. Mithran Tracker fight was a once a week quest but not technically an ENM IIRC.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alright. Ima do it. Ima gonna finish Ulmia's path tonight and then after that we have a fun mystery update(s).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just found this! One can say I'm a... fan. of FFXI.

I played it for about 17 years before moving on to XIV in 2020. Tried to get into XIV since 1.0 but it never quite clicked until that time.

But nitpick from me, I absolutely hate the AI upscaled texture packs for XI. They muddle the detail too much and make everything look so weird and fake.

Look at what they did to my boy! :negative:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 8, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

Just found this! One can say I'm a... fan. of FFXI.

I played it for about 17 years before moving on to XIV in 2020. Tried to get into XIV since 1.0 but it never quite clicked until that time.

Where's the new watch that was sold out last time I checked to maybe buy it?

Kazy posted:

Look at what they did to my boy! :negative:

I keep it to 1k instead of the higher version. Mainly it makes the armor look nice which I have to stare at for hours on end. When you get to writing and stuff on the walls, yeah it breaks a bit.

As you can see there are little points to the crown that get lost and the griffons look more griffon. Even rear end in a top hat's face and hair have really good shading on the left picture.

Remember kids, this is a freakin' PS2 game(STILL developed on a PS2 dev kit singular). What the devs and the community have done to it over 21 years is pretty impressive(positive/negative).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Finally caught up! :v:

Fat and Useless posted:

Where's the new watch that was sold out last time I checked to maybe buy it?

I have less disposable income these days :negative:

Fat and Useless posted:

As you can see there are little points to the crown that get lost and the griffons look more griffon. Even rear end in a top hat's face and hair have really good shading on the left picture.

Remember kids, this is a freakin' PS2 game(STILL developed on a PS2 dev kit singular). What the devs and the community have done to it over 21 years is pretty impressive(positive/negative).

That looks a lot better. Everything was too smoothed out and looked to painted in the higher res stuff. Poor Rochefongue looked ironed smooth.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 59: The Star Of Tavnazia

The Uleguerand Range sucks. Imagine snow. Okay now imagine more snow and an underground tunnel network that leads into the inside of the mountain. Okay but only one of these unmarked entrances is the correct one we are looking for. Oh and one of the entrances is on a one way giant rear end slope you slide down and you pray you hit the right hole or you are going around the whole entire map again for a second try because you were off by a hair.

Look at this poo poo, this is the above ground map. There is no tunnel map. You'll get lost for days if you aren't watching where you are going and fall down a random hole in the middle of the field.

LOOK AT IT!

It took me a very long time to find the correct wind pillar. I don't want to talk about it.

I should not have been bare handing the magicite. Frickin' Kam'lanaut... Anyway yeah, go on Prishe.

Well that's one mystery solved.

Note to self: Don't walk around with chunks from the Star of Tavnazia or you'll make a Shadow Lord happen maybe.

Wait... You shouldn't be here I think? Something is different and I can't think of what it is...

I... I think... I think I've finally gone insane. Louverance has finally driven me insane.

(This isn't my Louverance is it?)

(I don't have the guttural voice in the back of my mind telling me to punch him... He won't even stare at me while I stare at him.)

(The truth...)

This one is the real Louverance N Mistalle.

The word luck is like a pin in my skull.

I think that is what we are looking for.

Look at her go. No hesitation. Just pure Prishe.

I know better than to try but we all dash after Prishe.

And fail.

Well. Whatever this was just happened. This feels more normal for me. Learned how the Shadow Lord was made and now Prishe has run off again but this time with a doom shard. Good old one to two ratio. Also I guess I have sin hunters to worry about now. Also Louverance(?)... Hrm. This might be a new record.

I'm so tired of almost dying and not knowing it.

That seemed important. I'm sure it will come up again later. Ulmia is probably safe with the Mithra.

Bah, she would have been fine.

Any answers to the questions I have would just make me mad I think. But I kind of want them.

Next time: Let's take a break and listen to Visaria's backstory or something

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The Snoll Tzar was definitely one of major roadblocks for groups back in the day. Was a hell of a fight, iirc because it can do Berserk multiple times which boosts its attack, and also can self destruct, ending the fight immediately (iirc whether you survive or not).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

omg is that a crab mount

Tell me more about the mounts.

But mostly just the crab.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

omg is that a crab mount

Tell me more about the mounts.

But mostly just the crab.

Visaria has rode the crab several times! There is a red one and a blue one!

All mounts have the same speed. All sorts of monsters can be ridden, most mounts come from monthly login points. They still add new ones. Some mounts are absurdly large and are kinda impossible to use like the adamantoise. There are even little quests for some mounts like Eald'narche's floating platform and we talked about Fenrir as a mount before.

I heard there is even some kinda weapon mount that would make someone say "o that's a mega mount". It's a rather large pain in the rear end to make though.

Kazy posted:

The Snoll Tzar was definitely one of major roadblocks for groups back in the day. Was a hell of a fight, iirc because it can do Berserk multiple times which boosts its attack, and also can self destruct, ending the fight immediately (iirc whether you survive or not).

Update after the next one has horrible bomb explosions for degenerates who enjoy that stuff.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like I must have missed the Crab Rider before, somehow.

Do mounts do anything other than make you faster?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kazy posted:

Yeah, it was basically a damage race IIRC, but at least you could farm those items that delayed it from asploding.

Fat and Useless posted:

Look at this poo poo, this is the above ground map. There is no tunnel map.

ffxi.txt

My Hume used the Fenrir mount because glowing moon wolves are cool. My Taru used the Adamantoise mount because it was hilarious :3:

Also, the Louverance stuff was always really confusing, especially when you'd go a few days or weeks between cutscenes.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

PurpleXVI posted:

Do mounts do anything other than make you faster?

They are pretty much only for movement speed*. Nowadays, you get mounts through various npc's/monthly events/wherever. A lot of different in game monsters and such are optional. You can just choose to ride a mount from the menu, as long as you're in a zone that allows them(dungeons wouldn't allow a mount, for example).

Back in the day, however, it was only classic Chocobos. You could not activate them from the menu, you had to pay gil and rent them from various locations. I think you'd get like 30 minutes worth of riding (which was usually enough to travel to wherever you needed).

You could rent them from chocobo stables in cities, which were relatively cheap. Or you could rent them from some set locations out in the world - they kindly set up chocobo rentals beside the telepoint-crags, for example. These ones were more expensive than renting from the city.

The pricing also was not fixed - it was variable and basically had peak pricing rates (I'm not sure if it was based on times, or just based on the amount of people renting from that particular spot). It wasn't uncommon to get a group together to grind exp, teleport to a crag in order to travel to the camp, and then have one of the six members of your party go 'oof that chocobo is too expensive, i'll walk' which turns a 10 minute travel into a 30 minute one.

Later on in the games development they added a chocobo whistle, and a quest that let you raise a chocobo of your own (and you could get colours!). I don't think most people bothered with this. Then it eventually got overshadowed by the current mount system.

*That being said, there was a chocobo digging function, in which you could use an item to make your chocobo dig for treasure out on the overworld. Nobody really did this, I think it mostly dug up vendor trash that probably cost about the same as the items to dig.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The other benefit from mounts is nothing will aggro you while riding, seems obvious but wanted to point it out.

Also I raised a blue chocobo back in the day, but didn’t feed it the right greens or carrots or whatever and it was slow as hell…

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006

Bregor posted:

The other benefit from mounts is nothing will aggro you while riding, seems obvious but wanted to point it out.

Also I raised a blue chocobo back in the day, but didn’t feed it the right greens or carrots or whatever and it was slow as hell…

Excellent point I took for granted, yes.

I was thinking about how I said it gave 30 minutes of riding time - I should clarify it’s up to 30 minutes. If you got to your destination in 8 minutes and then dismounted, that’s it it’s just over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

60: Three Paths Interlude 2: Once Upon A Time

Once upon a time there was a lonely young princess. Dreams and a pair of knives were all she had to her name. She had no past and she has no future.

One day she went to go seek work with the famous cat burglar Nanaa Mihgo. Unfortunately Nanaa wasn't hiring at the time. I don't know what she expected really.

The Tenshodo however had a big job it needed done and it is calling for a bunch of able-bodied thieves. Normally Nanaa doesn't work with other thieves but this screams gil to her.
"What luck! A job and if Nanaa thinks it is big money then it must be!"

Eagerly our princess dashed off to Jeuno with spirits high. The thief part was unfortunate though. Sure she sometimes takes things without asking... but she needs to! It's all she's ever known.

Upon arriving at the Inn a buff man standing behind a pair of doors gives her an eyeing and determines she is thief enough.

"So many people and Nanaa is here too!"

Aren't large groups counter-intuitive for thieves? Probably. But our girl is pretty naive at this point in her life and doesn't realize this is probably a set up.

The king of thieves Atarefaunet. How cool the princess thought.

"I bet that he could even be my father!"

The princess was occupied trying to make the math work with her imagined dead father, this was difficult for her because she didn't know her age. She assumed it worked. She was a princess of thieves.

This is totally not what is being planned. Once again however I feel I must point out our princess hasn't been constantly stabbed in the back at this point in her life and will believe whatever one may say to her.

As she went to pick up her envelope she couldn't help but stare at the man. He looked to be the type of serious that comes from living for longer than you want because you have to while being hunted by death. Kinda sad.

Her gaze didn't go unnoticed and she got the "tough customer" for that. Stop staring at people princess!

A Galka staying in Selbina was to be her target. How hard could a signature be to get?

All she had to do was travel to the inn and ask for him.

Oh Goddess, she is going to die!

She quickly scurried outside. Best not agitate him. Well more so.

"No sir?"

Before she could ask any questions the Galka was already back inside the inn. This is fine she has been stealing food her whole life. Not from Quadav though... How hard... could it be?

Steal has a 5 minute cooldown(so does Mug but that only steals gil). The specific Quadav themselves aren't much of a problem though, they aren't too deep into Beadeaux.

2 tries! While wearing a + steal chance necklace... Still she did it, that is what counts!

And with that taken care of she could now go back with her head held high that she... got a signature...

Good work princess.

She does as she is told.

Looks like a cheap 50 gil knife to me... She'll treasure it forever. She probably would have preferred gil though. The last thing she had eaten in the past few days was that stew. It wasn't very good.

Okay. Well maybe Nanaa will have work now!

No. No she didn't. But she gets the stealing joke.

"Can I have some food?"

How bad could a few signatures be she thought to herself. Again.

Oh dear. Maybe our princess is going to have a bad time.

Her first target was in Sauromugue Champaign. On the map she was given were some dots, these were the towers she'd need to check. Oh and she doesn't know it but the correct tower changes each day.

Of course it was the last tower she checked. She has a special talent for these sorts of things. What was at the tower? Why a goblin who had a grapnel for her to borrow.

In order to climb a tower you need to be wearing nothing or you are too heavy. She specifically needed to climb the tower with the blue line heading to it.

"U-um... H-hello ma'am. I need your signature again. Please."

Please do not pressure the princess. She will break easily if perceived too hard.

If she had time to think about whether Nanaa or her target was more dangerous then she had time to take her rear end out to Dangruf Wadi to find some goblins.

Dangruf Wadi sucks for a princess like ours. Half the area is filled with level 90+ monsters. She will in fact need to pass through them a few times. Good luck princess. Oh I hope she picked up salt and lizard eggs before coming...

If she fails she'll need another of their favorite item. Luckily she is very skilled. The luckiest of princesses.

This next goblin likes gausebit grass which is used for a wide number of things. Gausebit grass is very expensive just straight buying it from the market because of the high demand and our princess is broke... But it drops from hares in Dangruf Wadi at about a 40% chance! On her way to the next goblin she snags a few. One for now and one for selling later!

The next one was behind an illusionary rock wall and down a pit. Don't ask how she knew where to find it, she doesn't know either and it scares her a little.

To get to the falls she needs to go through all of Dangruf Wadi again(for the 4th time, she accidentally went to the goblin spots out of order) and take the northern exit. Yes all of it. Yes past the level 90 things. Yes yes get to it princess.

This gobbo loves using bomb toss repeatedly. Bomb toss hurts.

Adventurers? Sounds worse than being a thief. Good thing our princess will never fall for that gig.

So he thought that our princess would be lucky enough to live and set Gambilox back on the path of not being murderous.

Touching.

According to canon the princess will have her heart broken 50 updates ago if she could remember any of the events that took place in this story.

Obviously our princess doesn't die.

"L-lowest number wins!" she squeaks out.

There is no hiding the fear in her eyes.

There is still no hiding the fear in her eyes. Nanaa will probably protect her though. That's how this works. That's what she believes anyway. It isn't what will happen.

The princess went off to sell her grass and get a meat mithkabob after a job well done. Seems she had recovered from her brush with death, that's good!

By the time she got back it seemed like Nanaa had cracked the code. It was hard to tell as Nanaa always has an aura of smug.

"I wonder what kind of meat this is?"

Next time: Digging deeper