Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cornwind Evil posted:

And history shows that in the end, the character eats the person. Ric Flair has repeatedly destroyed Richard Felair's life because you can't LIVE as Ric Flair, but Felair is almost enslaved to it from sheer repetition and familiarity. Terry Bollea let his bad experiences and the meteoric rise of Hulk Hogan make him decide that reality was how he defined it, and it would always be defined for what was best for him, no matter what else had to be damaged or broken. Jim Hellwig was said to have been cored out and more or less killed by his overwhelming Warrior character, and while I can't say what the life of Randall Poffo, lifetime baseball player and catcher would have been like, but I strongly suspect that Randy Savage took all the negative traits of the man and made them worse. Heck, I'll even apply it to my guy, Bret Hart, who is sort of like Punk in how he views wrestling as a serious thing, and how he really did see himself as a hero to many, despite in the end he was still a character putting on a show. Steve Williams needed years to detox from the wrestling life, and even now he's still doing his things under his Steve Austin name. Dwayne Johnson managed to redirect the nature of the business into an actual acting career, and I'm pretty sure even he's done his share of bad things. And as I analyzed, it really seemed like John Cena the man was a pale ghost who barely existed, everything given to John Cena the Character.

For the record, Steve Austin is the legal name of the former Steve Anderson (Steve Williams was Dr. Death), he changed it in 2006 or 2007.

And Flair / Fliehr (not Felair) is just your garden-variety alcoholic narcissist and sex monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If TK has ever been in an actual fistfight in the whole of his life, I'd be amazed. The sons of billionaires don't get into fistfights. They don't have to.

This was kind of where I was going with my original comment. This story paints the dude as someone who is so accustomed to and/or uncomfortable with face-to-face confrontation that his mind immediately goes to 'OMG I'm gonna die' at the first sign of physical conflict. And if that's true it would make him a wuss by definition.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I saw a thing where Flair went over meal prep and nutrition and one thing he said was when he went into kidney failure his doctor said drink lots of water but he didn't say he couldn't drink alcohol (woo). Kidney failure.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Flair spent much of his career enjoying pre-MeToo and SpeakingOut attitudes. The Plane Ride from Hell was talked about as though it was a delightful romp for almost two decades. And I remember people saying it was ridiculous to call “grabbing Becky Lynch in the middle of a live PPV match and forcibly kissing her against her will” a sexual assault.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This was kind of where I was going with my original comment. This story paints the dude as someone who is so accustomed to and/or uncomfortable with face-to-face confrontation that his mind immediately goes to 'OMG I'm gonna die' at the first sign of physical conflict. And if that's true it would make him a wuss by definition.

What happened was a little more than that. Being uncomfortable in the face of violence should be the norm, and that is what had happened. Punk choked someone and then got in the face of someone else. Being afraid doesn't make that someone a wuss, come the gently caress on.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s okay if you’re still a CM Punk fan and don’t like Tony Khan but you could also be a reasonable adult about it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

yeah sure please tell us what a hardass you are, we're all going to be very impressed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Just can't stop the toxic masculinity from leaking into this thread lol

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TK should have just done what a strong brave man would do and pull out his gun and shoot CM punk, that's always solved every problem

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tony Khan should ask his Dad to get the Jacksonville Jaguars to beat up CM Punk.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

rndmnmbr posted:

"I will be there, like I said, in the Coliseum! Not because I love you, Maximus, but because I hate Commodus! Not because I love Rome, or the people of Rome, but because I hate Commodus with a passion! What I am going to do is, I am going to give Commodus an extreme makeover! I am going to give him a two-fisted makeover! I’m going to lower his eyes! I’m going to widen his nose! I’m gonna fatten his lips, and I’m gonna realign his teeth! And then I’m gonna pull every hair out of his head! I’m gonna put my foot so far up his rear end in a top hat, he’ll have to go the valetudinaria to get it out!"

-Terrius Funkus, AD 42.

Aeternum!

Aeternum!

Aeternum!

Aeternum!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I was wrong, your take isn't a particularly dumb one.

It's an insanely stupid one.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Lunge should be a finish.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Prof. Crocodile posted:

post on your main corny

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are we in wrestling posting kayfabe mode?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in video games and home alone if a tv falls on you you might get electrocuted, or at least it'll get stuck on your head and you will have to walk around with it on your head maybe forever

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tony kahn must go on a spiritual journey to get in contact with his inner carnie

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tony kahn must go on a spiritual journey to get in contact with his inner carnie

so, a somewhat larger-than-usual pile of cocaine, got it

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

He will never sneeze again.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Defiance Industries posted:

TK should have just done what a strong brave man would do and pull out his gun and shoot CM punk, that's always solved every problem

Arn Anderson wasn't booked for All In, otherwise this wouldn't have been an issue.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Timby posted:

For the record, Steve Austin is the legal name of the former Steve Anderson (Steve Williams was Dr. Death), he changed it in 2006 or 2007.

small note:

Austin was definitely Steve Williams when he played college football (wikipedia suggests it was his stepfather's name), and I remember him telling a story on his podcast about him getting pissy with someone when he first broke in and was told that he couldn't use his real name because gimmick infringement

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I absolutely believe that Tony absolutely did not fear for his life and he’s just doing PR right now.

I don’t think Wrestling is a good audience for this kind of PR but that’s Tony for you

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Tony Khan should ask his Dad to get the Jacksonville Jaguars to beat up CM Punk.

It's not too late, Tony. They can be to Chicago and back in time for their Sunday game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

small note:

Austin was definitely Steve Williams when he played college football (wikipedia suggests it was his stepfather's name), and I remember him telling a story on his podcast about him getting pissy with someone when he first broke in and was told that he couldn't use his real name because gimmick infringement

Yeah, Dr. Death Steve Williams was the top draw in WCCW when he first started in the business. The promoter told him to come up with a new name and he couldn't think of one. Eventually the promoter said "Fine, you're Steve Austin now."

Austin responds, "What, like the Six Million Dollar Man?"

The promoter tells him "Hell yeah like the Six Million Dollar Man."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

It's not too late, Tony. They can be to Chicago and back in time for their Sunday game.

TK could buy Mindy's bakery and shut it down out of spite

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Or he could buy it and keep it open but ban CM Punk from it forever

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I absolutely believe that Tony absolutely did not fear for his life and he’s just doing PR right now.

I don’t think Wrestling is a good audience for this kind of PR but that’s Tony for you

Mostly because the Wrestling audience is going to call him a wuss for what happened while shriveling into a pile of sobbing flesh when met with even the slightest form of social push-back.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If anyone lunges at me I will suplex them, put them in camel clutch, break their back, then gently caress him in rear end and THEN they will be HUMBLE. But I am no...uh, Michael Jacksons. Yes, God bless. Thank you Gene Mean.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yea I just read it as lawyers advising him to use that wording to allow him to fire him with cause. He is right though that no one should feel unsafe at work and Punk attacking anyone is enough of a problem and reason to let him go.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mulaney Power Move posted:

If anyone lunges at me I will suplex them, put them in camel clutch, break their back, then gently caress him in rear end and THEN they will be HUMBLE. But I am no...uh, Michael Jacksons. Yes, God bless. Thank you Gene Mean.

Nah, you will calmly assess that this situation will not require such action and then communicate those plain facts to the aggressor, disabling them with your superior perception and reasoning power.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Nah, you will calmly assess that this situation will not require such action and then communicate those plain facts to the aggressor, disabling them with your superior perception and reasoning power.

Yeah that sounds like an AEW wrestling gimmick

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tony Schiavone: "He calls this falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, and folks that's a banned move!."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Just Chamber posted:

Yea I just read it as lawyers advising him to use that wording to allow him to fire him with cause. He is right though that no one should feel unsafe at work and Punk attacking anyone is enough of a problem and reason to let him go.

No there's literally video of the whole incident that was reviewed by legal. TK isn't making this up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Just Chamber posted:

I mean at the end of the day that’s it Punk hosed Punk no matter what his fans like to believe

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Grendels Dad posted:

that's punk's gimmick

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cubone posted:

that's punk's gimmick

To say this happened and everybody got up and clapped, sure. The thing is there is a concerning number of goons (i.e. bigger than one) who will actually suggest there is some merit to this bullshit view.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I don't find it that concerning. what are they gonna do, be wrong to death?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cubone posted:

I don't find it that concerning. what are they gonna do, be wrong to death?

Give others the idea that this is a healthy way to look at things.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Give others the idea that this is a healthy way to look at things.

oh. better keep talking about this forever then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hey shieky baby, you want to smoke the marijuana?