Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

2 year old 13 pro is at 83% capacity, I assume that's pretty par for the course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

2 year old 13 pro is at 83% capacity, I assume that's pretty par for the course

Mine is slightly better at 85%

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is slightly better at 85%

:unsmith: nice!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My almost 3 year old 12 Pro Max at 87% :getin:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
God I can't wait for the tracking number updates to break the monotony of battery health percentages.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Almost exactly two year old 13 pro max is 92%.

This last year was the first year I didn’t do a yearly upgrade since they first released the iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was hoping it would be worse so I could get it replaced by AppleCare before putting it in a drawer until one of upgrades again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dexter6 posted:

God I can't wait for the tracking number updates to break the monotony of battery health percentages.

I got you covered today with both.

My work iPhone 12 battery was at 84% so I def needed a new work phone.

I got to order my work phone and upgrade to a 13 Pro and it is literally out for delivery today.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Personally now that devices like the steam deck and the huge influx of the mini emulation devices I definitely use my phone for games a lot less now.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Whoops- maximum battery is at 89% - my lovely memory. :sweatdrop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Almost exactly two year old 13 pro max is 92%.

This last year was the first year I didn’t do a yearly upgrade since they first released the iPhone.

Yeah I used to be an every year guy until the 7 came out and I skipped it. This might be the first year I skip another year as so far the 13Pro is still needs suiting for me. I dunno, it depends on how much Apple will give me for a trade in I suppose.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you're curious, the 15 Pro that I didn't buy yet's battery life is at 100%.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you're curious, the 15 Pro that I didn't buy yet's battery life is at 100%.

:monocle:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
11 Pro chugging along at 78%, next week I'll decide if the new phone is worth it to me or I just pay for a battery replacement!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Excited to graduate to a 15 Plus from a XR. I figure ProMotion is out of the question unless I wanna upgrade to the Pro lineup?

I want a phone with big battery life and it seems like the Plus might be it. Also since there’s at least one telco goon here, what’s the best way to travel overseas (Germany) with a phone? My carrier charges $10 a day for all the fixings, but that seems a little drastic as I’ll be there for 14 days. Are there domestic carriers in Germany (EU? dunno how that goes) that I can sign up for and eSIM it….somehow?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Excited to graduate to a 15 Plus from a XR. I figure ProMotion is out of the question unless I wanna upgrade to the Pro lineup?

I want a phone with big battery life and it seems like the Plus might be it. Also since there’s at least one telco goon here, what’s the best way to travel overseas (Germany) with a phone? My carrier charges $10 a day for all the fixings, but that seems a little drastic as I’ll be there for 14 days. Are there domestic carriers in Germany (EU? dunno how that goes) that I can sign up for and eSIM it….somehow?

We’ll see what the price differences are, but if it’s $200ish I recommend the Pro models honestly. Camera and pro motion are worth it.

For international travel depends if you are VZ or ATT (I assume US). VZ will Auto Unlock a phone after 60 days, so you can get an eSIM overseas and yeah it’s way cheaper than $10 a day. If you sign up for a payment plan with ATT, ATT locks the phone until it’s paid off (not sure if they can do an international unlock).

If you buy and or finance via Apple then of course it’s unlocked.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

buglord posted:

Are there domestic carriers in Germany (EU? dunno how that goes) that I can sign up for and eSIM it….somehow?

If you don’t care about having voice service/SMS, eSIMs are cheap and easy - I’ve had good experiences with Airalo in Europe.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Duckman2008 posted:

We’ll see what the price differences are, but if it’s $200ish I recommend the Pro models honestly. Camera and pro motion are worth it.

For international travel depends if you are VZ or ATT (I assume US). VZ will Auto Unlock a phone after 60 days, so you can get an eSIM overseas and yeah it’s way cheaper than $10 a day. If you sign up for a payment plan with ATT, ATT locks the phone until it’s paid off (not sure if they can do an international unlock).

If you buy and or finance via Apple then of course it’s unlocked.

I’m doing Xfinity Mobile because my mom and her family switched everyone over (I’m in some like 7 person family plan monstrosity), so I’m not sure where that leads me. But I’m also buying the phone outright from apple, no financing at all (unless xfinity mobile has better offers, somehow? but is it safe to assume a phone will be auto unlocked if it’s not financed?)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Kalman posted:

If you don’t care about having voice service/SMS, eSIMs are cheap and easy - I’ve had good experiences with Airalo in Europe.

$26 for 20GB…not bad at all. Does Wi-Fi calling mean I can still call parents if I’m at a hotspot?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I’m doing Xfinity Mobile because my mom and her family switched everyone over (I’m in some like 7 person family plan monstrosity), so I’m not sure where that leads me. But I’m also buying the phone outright from apple, no financing at all (unless xfinity mobile has better offers, somehow? but is it safe to assume a phone will be auto unlocked if it’s not financed?)

Yeah, buying from apple it should be unlocked so just get an eSIM.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

buglord posted:

You can choose a carrier when you purchase it from Apple, or even just have it unlocked when you get it and choose a carrier afterwards. Even if it's financed you still have the options.

I switched quite a while ago from Verizon to T-Mobile because I was taking a few trips a year to Japan and T-Mob works on their networks with no roaming. Of course I would still get a mobile hot spot to carry with me while there because T-Mobs speeds there were like 3G or something.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

XS at 91% :whatup:

I might go to a 15 this year or early next, which would mark 5 years on this phone. It still works brilliantly, though, so who knows! :iiam:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

buglord posted:

$26 for 20GB…not bad at all. Does Wi-Fi calling mean I can still call parents if I’m at a hotspot?

It *should* work fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Verizon will still charge you for TravelPass if you even use WiFi calling but don't quote me on that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I think Verizon will still charge you for TravelPass if you even use WiFi calling but don't quote me on that

I've had the fuckin thing activate when I swear it shouldn't so it wouldn't surprise me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Verizon really pisses me off with their TravelPass. As soon as I landed in Europe I get a text saying I’m now paying $10/day, no opt in or confirmation. Maybe it’s good for some people but I would just get a sim for a local company before doing that. It isn’t a fortune but it isn’t a good deal and I’m unemployed due to striking so I don’t like getting juiced by surprise like that.

Turn off the line under cellular settings before you land if you don’t feel like getting charged.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

Verizon really pisses me off with their TravelPass. As soon as I landed in Europe I get a text saying I’m now paying $10/day, no opt in or confirmation. Maybe it’s good for some people but I would just get a sim for a local company before doing that. It isn’t a fortune but it isn’t a good deal and I’m unemployed due to striking so I don’t like getting juiced by surprise like that.

Turn off the line under cellular settings before you land if you don’t feel like getting charged.

It's also a paltry amount of data lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it’s my fault that everyone is talking about battery health recently so my b. In my defense I only mentioned it in the context of me noticing I have to janitor my phone usage on days I expect to be out the entire day cause I use up a lot of battery looking up public transit and also taking pictures and poo poo.

🚨 In other news there’s a new macos and iOS security update out right now that’s highly recommended. It fixes a particularly nasty zero-day exploit that is actively being used that can be exploited by you simply receiving an iMessage. That’s all. No clicking or interaction required on your end.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Siri thinks I’m my mom? Also my contact card says her name instead of mine.
I did a transfer from Samsung with Move to iOS. I already had two Apple accounts linked together in a Family, both with my name.

Edit: I had to make a contact card for myself? iOS is weird.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 8, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boris Galerkin posted:

🚨 In other news there’s a new macos and iOS security update out right now that’s highly recommended. It fixes a particularly nasty zero-day exploit that is actively being used that can be exploited by you simply receiving an iMessage. That’s all. No clicking or interaction required on your end.

Doesn’t seem to be available for the iOS 17 developer beta, which I guess could be a good sign or a bad sign.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It's also a paltry amount of data lol
Eh, my plan gives us one free day per month per line so we used it in Iceland earlier this year and didn't have any trouble, really. I turned off mobile data for most things, to be fair, but still used maps and Safari and such and only hit the cap once by which time it was late at night anyway.

It's not a lot if you're planning on watching YouTube all day in front of the Louvre I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, my plan gives us one free day per month per line so we used it in Iceland earlier this year and didn't have any trouble, really. I turned off mobile data for most things, to be fair, but still used maps and Safari and such and only hit the cap once by which time it was late at night anyway.

It's not a lot if you're planning on watching YouTube all day in front of the Louvre I guess.

Its 2gb of data for the business travel pass.

Its "unlimited" 3g though but once it hits that its essentially not useable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Its 2gb of data for the business travel pass.

Its "unlimited" 3g though but once it hits that its essentially not useable.

Yeah that's what I had. Like I said, it was fine for a day of checking maps (and you can preload those in iOS 17 so even less usage there) and searching for restaurants and such. I guess if you need to hotspot to do work then it wouldn't be great, sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Verizon has a new plan that includes travel pass for free. It’s an extra $10ish a month and doesn’t include free Disney.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I actually have Verizon but I’m using Airalo in another country RIGHT NOW.

I’ve found that the magic combination to keep iMessage working is to make sure that data roaming on your Primary (Verizon) line is turned OFF, and that your cellular data is set to use the Airalo eSim and make sure “allow cellular data switching” is OFF. But you need to keep your Primary line on and your “default voice line” set to Primary.

With this combo, I can still iMessage people using my regular USA phone number, as long as they are iPhone users of course. I can also call them using FaceTime Audio. I also have a Google Voice number set up in case I need to make any calls to hotels or restaurants or anything else that’s local to the place I’m traveling to. I only found out recently that Google Voice won’t send or receive international SMS messages, which threw me for a loop when I first got here.

I just need to make sure I don’t A) place or answer any phone calls from the Phone app, and B) don’t send any SMS messages - strictly stick to iMessage. Doing either of those things would trigger a TravelPass day. And since I haven’t gotten any texts from Verizon letting me know that my 24-hour Travel Pass session has started, I think it’s working out well for me?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I actually have Verizon but I’m using Airalo in another country RIGHT NOW.

I’ve found that the magic combination to keep iMessage working is to make sure that data roaming on your Primary (Verizon) line is turned OFF, and that your cellular data is set to use the Airalo eSim and make sure “allow cellular data switching” is OFF. But you need to keep your Primary line on and your “default voice line” set to Primary.

With this combo, I can still iMessage people using my regular USA phone number, as long as they are iPhone users of course. I can also call them using FaceTime Audio. I also have a Google Voice number set up in case I need to make any calls to hotels or restaurants or anything else that’s local to the place I’m traveling to. I only found out recently that Google Voice won’t send or receive international SMS messages, which threw me for a loop when I first got here.

I just need to make sure I don’t A) place or answer any phone calls from the Phone app, and B) don’t send any SMS messages - strictly stick to iMessage. Doing either of those things would trigger a TravelPass day. And since I haven’t gotten any texts from Verizon letting me know that my 24-hour Travel Pass session has started, I think it’s working out well for me?

I legit was like "oh snap someone asked about this in the other thread, I’m gonna share this" and I go and see it was you asking the question lol.

It sounds like you’re in the clear and I’m glad the setup is working. Given you still have your Verizon cell on for regular text messages, you should get message if it’s used a travel pass day, so it sounds like you’re good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you'll get a text as soon as you use any data or get a text or whatever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just need to make sure I don’t A) place or answer any phone calls from the Phone app, and B) don’t send any SMS messages - strictly stick to iMessage. Doing either of those things would trigger a TravelPass day.

The fact that you have to be careful about this all the time to not get charged another $10 is so hosed. Can’t believe I can’t just turn off TravelPass completely. Sorry I know this is the iPhone thread but I just got back from a trip where I had to go through a ton of customer service texts and emails because I asked Verizon not to charge me for their ambush service

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

The fact that you have to be careful about this all the time to not get charged another $10 is so hosed. Can’t believe I can’t just turn off TravelPass completely. Sorry I know this is the iPhone thread but I just got back from a trip where I had to go through a ton of customer service texts and emails because I asked Verizon not to charge me for their ambush service

Yeah you aren’t wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be rich and buy their most expensive plan that includes basically every feature imaginable!