Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Tiny Timbs posted:

It honestly feels like the story is being quasi-buried

Agreed, this is incredibly problematic. Industry profits from war, okay, that is problematic. That sucks but it's a precedent as old as organized warfare.

That a billionaire could foil a legitimate strike against an enemy that invaded its neighbor for illegitimate reasons, against near-universal condemnation, that is committing genocide against the nation it invaded. That has to be a war crime, or treason or something. I am probably way out of my league, is there not some sort of emergency measure Biden could enact to take away Musk's capacity to do things like this? Does he have so much power now that he can do things like this with impunity?

That said, Ukraine bears part of the responsibility to invest so heavily in a company that has that much control over its war aims when it is headed by a loving lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Huggybear posted:

That has to be a war crime, or treason or something.

It is absolutely none of those things. Running your defense comms on donated wireless comms from an overseas, private provider is inherently risky. One of those risks is that the foreign private company might just turn off the free comms without warning or change their quality of service.

Now that the US has a contract, there are contractual standards for starlink to uphold rather than whatever they decide to provide Ukraine for free as far as service.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Back Hack posted:

That is a feature, not a bug!

Well obviously, seagulls are not bats 🙄

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

It is absolutely none of those things. Running your defense comms on donated wireless comms from an overseas, private provider is inherently risky. One of those risks is that the foreign private company might just turn off the free comms without warning or change their quality of service.

Now that the US has a contract, there are contractual standards for starlink to uphold rather than whatever they decide to provide Ukraine for free as far as service.

very little of the service was actually free afaik. most of it was and still is individual units paying for starlink terminals. iirc the concession the company provided early on was providing a higher tier of service to users in Ukraine for no added cost, but I believe that actually ended pretty early on and that was when elon was in the news complaining about how much money it was costing the company and threatening to turn off the service if someone didn't start footing the bill, which was when the US apparently agreed to foot the bill.

the 'we're giving them starlink for free' thing was just musk trying to extract goodwill out of a popular cause

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-starlink-spacex-military-use/32264837.html

the 'free starlink' as described in here is, i believe, that the company was providing access to the starlink network itself to Ukraine. there's a whole bunch of bullshit swirling around about the arrangement with starlink/ukraine and musk et al have basically been able to say whatever the hell they want because Ukraine is very aware of just how hosed they are if starlink ever stops working and their needs and use of the service go far beyond whatever the US has specifically contracted for

if you've got any particularly authoritative sources you can link on the subject I'd love to see them because I haven't seen much

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 8, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah I doubt there is much to be done to Musk/Starlink in a direct legal manner unless contractual provisions were violated, but hoo boy Musk pissing off the defense establishment is the definition of a gently caress around and find out situation. They can apply pressure and pain in a million different indirect ways especially considering space X is almost completely dependent on government contracts to be profitable and Tesla on tax credits and pretty much everything Musk does besides twitter interacts with a lot of government regulation bodies.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I doubt there is much to be done to Musk/Starlink in a direct legal manner unless contractual provisions were violated, but hoo boy Musk pissing off the defense establishment is the definition of a gently caress around and find out situation. They can apply pressure and pain in a million different indirect ways especially considering space X is almost completely dependent on government contracts to be profitable and Tesla on tax credits and pretty much everything Musk does besides twitter interacts with a lot of government regulation bodies.

I'm sure his stunt during the Ukrainian attack got him a real fun talking to that he's still fuming about inside but he won't dare do anything about. Not until the ketamine starts talking, anyways.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nervous posted:

I'm sure his stunt during the Ukrainian attack got him a real fun talking to that he's still fuming about inside but he won't dare do anything about. Not until the ketamine starts talking, anyways.

So that's why he's been ranting about the Jews ruining him

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The Artificial Kid posted:

The point is you can’t snipe a hundred drones per second by predicting their paths and leading them with a single bullet, because they can add random bubble to their trajectory, or even (potentially) watch for muzzle flash 200 times per second and add a random dodge manoeuvre whenever that happens.
I think your problem is you're not fundamentally understanding how little time a projectile moving at around a kilometer per SECOND gives a drone, that can do maybe 200 kilometers per HOUR, to maneuver.

Those drones you're talking about juking around may as well be effectively sitting still for the most part.

Their juking is effective and impressive on human perception time scales but not on bullet time scales or vs a computerized aiming system with radar.

It won't matter one bit if they can detect the muzzle flashes or not if by the time it takes for the drone to start to maneuver the projectile has already either hit the drone or exploded near the drone and 'shotgunned' it with fragments.

Also the sorts of cheap mirrors you can that are light enough to put on tiny drones won't reflect lasers, were talking something like 30-100KW range (which already exists BTW), that are going to be used for anti drone duty. It'll burn holes right through them. You need special, and rather expensive and heavy for something covering most or all of the drone, mirrors to do that.

Drones are going to change things but I think you're way overvaluing what their effect could be and letting some scifi vids influence your thoughts too much here.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuna-Fish posted:

There are terminals/service in use from very many different sources. The first ones (iirc like 1500) were bought by USAID and shipped nominally only for relief work. SpaceX rounded the USAID shipment up to iirc 5000 with a direct donation, and then also said that starlinks operating in Ukraine don't need a paid contract. Then a lot of civilians started ordering starlinks in europe and shipping those to ukraine, numbers here are at least in the high tens of thousands, around this time they started being used for military communications a lot. Then SpaceX restricted areas where they could be used, and after some discussion, Pentagon directly purchased some from SpaceX and shipped them to Ukraine with separate (more expensive) contracts that let them operate them anywhere. I think at some point SpaceX also went back on the "starlinks operating in ukraine don't need a contract" thing, but I'm not sure.

thanks for the info, i hadn't realized a big chunk was aid and civilian purchased

if this is all the case, i'd presume turning off service in combat areas is in their legal rights for terminals and service contracts of civilian origin. anything directly contracted by the pentagon is a lot more iffy though, unless starlink somehow got some wild carveouts in whatever contract was signed

edit:

MikeC posted:

I wonder if this assumes whether or not the Russians build new lines of defense as Ukrainians continue their push which they have been doing.

That is the issue with this type of slow grind. The Russians are given time to build out secondary and tertiary lines of defense as time goes on. It no longer becomes a question of breaching positions since there will always be more but rather finding a way to make the manpower equation, both in terms of those currently in uniform as well as those not yet in uniform, work for Ukraine despite the numbers being slanted against them.

I have posted before about the upcoming manpower crunch the Ukrainians are approaching. Those who want to serve are already in service leaving those less enthusiastic, and older Ukrainians to be drafted. It appears that draftees for the AFU are not getting substantially more or better training than Russian mobiks with a recent article posted showing they get 4 weeks in some cases being shipped to the front (in Kharkov Oblast in that particular article).

This is where the pessimism from even the highest ranks of the US military comes from. The math just doesn't add up in the long term and without a collapse from the Russian army.

i can see the concern, but there are three rebuttals i can think of. one, it assumes that new fortifications can be constructed/enhanced and defending troops become familiar with the ground at a rate that keeps pace with the ukrainian advances. two, it assumes that the terrain maintains more or less the same defensibility, when the initial series of lines would have naturally be on the best defensible ground in the area. third, and i think most important, is that on the southern front russia doesn't have an immense amount of ground to continually fall back on. for perspective, the tweet mentions that the work on the fortifications is 40km behind the line. if the the russians were driven back to works 40km south of robotyne that would put them well south of tokmak, a major road junction, and over halfway to melitopol, which would be the one remaining crossroad maintaining an overland connection between donetsk and crimea

in the balance who knows, but if the ukrainians keep up the advance, and the russians aren't able to effectively counter attack, an entirely attritional end to the war isn't guarenteed

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 8, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i was wondering about general preparations for the winter and came across this press release from last month

"european commission posted:

The EU has reached its target of filling gas storage facilities to 90% of capacity roughly 2½ months ahead of the November 1 deadline, according to the latest figures released today by Gas Infrastructure Europe. Aimed at optimising EU preparation for the coming winter, the gas storage regulation of June 2022 set a binding EU target of 90% filling storage facilities by 1 November each year, with interim targets for EU countries. Gas storage is key for security of supply in Europe as it can cover up to one-third of the EU’s gas demand in winter. The figures published today show that gas storage levels have reached 1024 TWh or 90.12% of storage capacity (equivalent to just over 93 billion cubic metres (bcm) of natural gas).

EU Commissioner for Energy, Kadri Simson said:

Today’s confirmation that we have met our gas storage requirements so far ahead of schedule underlines that the EU is well-prepared for winter and this will help to further stabilise markets in the coming months. The EU energy market is in a much more stable position than it was this time last year, in good part because of the measures we have taken at EU level. But we have seen in recent weeks that the gas market remains sensitive. The Commission will continue to monitor the situation, so that storage levels remain sufficiently high as we enter the next winter. Let me recall that we can further strengthen our position through investments in renewables and energy efficiency.

The EU has taken a wide range of measures following the energy crisis triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to be better prepared for the winter. The gas demand reduction regulation (August 2022) stimulated a 18% drop in gas consumption from August 2022 to May 2023, and has now been extended for a further year. In terms of finding alternative sources of gas, the Commission has spearheaded a concerted international outreach for alternative gas supplies – notably in the form of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). In addition, the EU Energy Platform (through #AggregateEU) has already hosted two calls for joint purchases of gas, with a third call to be launched in the second half of September. Key investments at EU and national level have also increased the EU’s LNG import capacity and reinforced the resilience of the EU gas system.

On the EU Energy Platform, Vice-President of the European Commission Maroš Šefčovič said:

The two first calls for joint purchasing of gas had very positive results, with a total combined of 22.9 bcm of gas demand matched by supply. I am pleased that the EU Energy Platform contributed to the EU reaching its target for gas storage early on and more generally to EU energy security ahead of the winter. It shows that we can have significant added-value by joining forces, pooling our demand and working together to guarantee stable and affordable gas supplies to the EU market.

after the shaky situation this time last year, i find it a bit remarkable how well in hand the energy situation is in europe

it just goes to show that despite the various bits of disfunction, the eu is not to be trifled with when all of its member states actually all move in unison

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Huggybear posted:

Agreed, this is incredibly problematic. Industry profits from war, okay, that is problematic. That sucks but it's a precedent as old as organized warfare.

That a billionaire could foil a legitimate strike against an enemy that invaded its neighbor for illegitimate reasons, against near-universal condemnation, that is committing genocide against the nation it invaded. That has to be a war crime, or treason or something. I am probably way out of my league, is there not some sort of emergency measure Biden could enact to take away Musk's capacity to do things like this? Does he have so much power now that he can do things like this with impunity?

That said, Ukraine bears part of the responsibility to invest so heavily in a company that has that much control over its war aims when it is headed by a loving lunatic.

In a fair world, the optics alone on this should have been enough to make Musk radioactive from a business point of view.

But in reality? Last month, Musk personally over-rode a ban on someone posting CSAM and said "we deleted the material and no one looked at it. This is fine." and so far he has had no consequences over that one.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Losses continue to pile up

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1700070078149013553

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
549 tanks captured also seems... impressive. Like sure quite a lot were probably only in condition to use for parts of what not but that's still a poo poo load of tanks.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't know how it stands now after the delivery of western armor and attrition from the counter offensive, but there was a period about a year ago where the majority of ukranian armor in service was captured from the russians

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I wish everyone would quit giving Elon so much credit. He is first and foremost a complete liar. Starlink is not that great of a service, if Ukraine is controlling drones through it they could easily be losing connection due to poor bandwidth. I also sincerely doubt it’s even one of the top 5 most important thing for Ukraines communications.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 8, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it just goes to show that despite the various bits of disfunction, the eu is not to be trifled with when all of its member states actually all move in unison

A dangerous thing to demonstrate, too. Like with Covid, showing that a large body like the EU can actually get poo poo done flies in the face of long-standing dogma of several large parties in member states that are firmly opposed to the idea of government solving people's problems.

Covid brought the beginning of debt mutualisation, the energy crisis bought an impetus to integrate energy networks and drive electrification and decarbonisation using funding mechanisms introduced due to covid, and now the war is providing very good arguments for defense integration and cooperation.

Couldn't have asked for a better set of crises if you are a European Federalist.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Antigravitas posted:

A dangerous thing to demonstrate, too. Like with Covid, showing that a large body like the EU can actually get poo poo done flies in the face of long-standing dogma of several large parties in member states that are firmly opposed to the idea of government solving people's problems.

Covid brought the beginning of debt mutualisation, the energy crisis bought an impetus to integrate energy networks and drive electrification and decarbonisation using funding mechanisms introduced due to covid, and now the war is providing very good arguments for defense integration and cooperation.

Couldn't have asked for a better set of crises if you are a European Federalist.

Better yet: showing that a large, international body like the EU can actually get poo poo done flies in the face of even longer-standing dogma of several large parties in member states that it is not necessary, and perhaps even counterproductive, to weaken international organisations and attempt to solve everything at the national level.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

i am a moron posted:

I wish everyone would quit giving Elon so much credit. He is first and foremost a complete liar. Starlink is not that great of a service, if Ukraine is controlling drones through it they could easily be losing connection due to poor bandwidth. I also sincerely doubt it’s even one of the top 5 most important thing for Ukraines communications.

While Musk is a complete lair and never to be trusted, there has been reports from Ukrainian army sources about Starlink, one being really useful for them, and also secondly being used and than suddenly going out after going into certain places which might be seen as "Russian owned", so he isn't the only one claiming that the Starlinks being used in Ukraine are being Geo-ristricted.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

i am a moron posted:

according to ukrainians it is very important

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

i am a moron posted:

Jack Watling and Michael Koffman disagree. Both are opponents of the idea of wunderwaffen, both believe that force employment is more important than specific tactical capabilities, and both have written that if there's one thing that kept Ukraine in the fight in 2022, it was Starlink.

Secure comms which are (for practical purposes) impossible for Russia to jam are more important than tanks, F-16s, or ATACMS.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

dr_rat posted:

While Musk is a complete lair and never to be trusted, there has been reports from Ukrainian army sources about Starlink, one being really useful for them, and also secondly being used and than suddenly going out after going into certain places which might be seen as "Russian owned", so he isn't the only one claiming that the Starlinks being used in Ukraine are being Geo-ristricted.

I saw some claims at some point that Starlink was geofenced to prevent the Russians from using it, and this was causing some issues near the front line during offensives because of delayed and/or inaccurate information about how far UA forces have advanced.

I also 100% believe Musk is playing games.

My personal, admittedly speculative, theory is that there is likely a geofencing policy that is for good reasons, but Musk is periodically subverting it for his own dumb purposes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jarmak posted:

My personal, admittedly speculative, theory is that there is likely a geofencing policy that is for good reasons, but Musk is periodically subverting it for his own dumb purposes.

I can imagine geo-fencing being in place just for things like price and legislative reasons (some countries are pretty strict about how you access the internet). Also it's possible it's either made up, a case of existing geofencing loving up and them not bothering to fix it which seems quite unlikely, or him actually loving around to get some praise from the Russians/poo poo head fascist poo poo heads he talks to on twitter.

At this point unless there's an investigation into it that's public/one day becomes public, we'll never know I guess. :shrug:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Ynglaur posted:

Jack Watling and Michael Koffman disagree. Both are opponents of the idea of wunderwaffen, both believe that force employment is more important than specific tactical capabilities, and both have written that if there's one thing that kept Ukraine in the fight in 2022, it was Starlink.

Secure comms which are (for practical purposes) impossible for Russia to jam are more important than tanks, F-16s, or ATACMS.

I might be taking for granted how exactly Ukraine is fighting the war. I’m not sure what’s okay to say/not say about the capabilities of it either, but how are radios not the comms lynchpin of like… any military? Using starlink (or any commercial ISP) runs counter to so many things I might be taking for granted. I don’t see how that could possibly be more secure than what I was taught to use. I really figured this is just Elon marketing himself again, ‘ooo look at me I can influence geopolitical stuff like wars’.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I might be taking for granted how exactly Ukraine is fighting the war. I’m not sure what’s okay to say/not say about the capabilities of it either, but how are radios not the comms lynchpin of like… any military? Using starlink (or any commercial ISP) runs counter to so many things I might be taking for granted. I don’t see how that could possibly be more secure than what I was taught to use. I really figured this is just Elon marketing himself again, ‘ooo look at me I can influence geopolitical stuff like wars’.

Neither radio nor Internet are secure. That's why you used encryption for your comms. Internet just has more bandwidth.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Nenonen posted:

Neither radio nor Internet are secure. That's why you used encryption for your comms. Internet just has more bandwidth.

Radio can absolutely be secured in ways I am sure I can’t talk about on an Internet forum but may be public knowledge idk. Way, way more secure than running data over a consumer ISP. Seems like a giant loving opsec problem

Edit: like I said I might be take some things for granted. Seems loving bananas something as basic as, like, the first thing I was taught as a radio jockey isn’t available to Ukrainians

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 8, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

i am a moron posted:

Radio can absolutely be secured in ways I am sure I can’t talk about on an Internet forum but may be public knowledge idk. Way, way more secure than running data over a consumer ISP. Seems like a giant loving opsec problem

Yes, just like over Internet or telephone lines. Radio is just a medium, it can't be trusted any more than the other media.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I dont think you know what you’re talking about.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

i am a moron posted:

Apparently. Either you know this better than Ukrainians themselves, or you don't have a clue either :shrug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Edit: like I said I might be take some things for granted. Seems loving bananas something as basic as, like, the first thing I was taught as a radio jockey isn’t available to Ukrainians

What, like spread spectrum frequency hopping?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I think you're mistaking your specific domain knowledge for a much broader understanding than it really is.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
‘How am I in this war?’: The untold story of Elon Musk’s support for Ukraine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/07/elon-musk-starlink-ukraine-russia-invasion/

This is marked as an opinion column, so take it as you will, but it's a good writeup and summary of this whole issue with Elon. Basically he was happy to wear the superhero cape initially until he was threatened by the Russian ambassador and then he folded like a house of cards. I'm going to try and phone post some excerpts but I'll be skipping a lot of the summary part.

About the sub attack that Musk personally thwarted:

quote:

By September, however, both Musk and military leaders in Ukraine and the United States were realizing the complexity of their relationship. One Friday evening that month, just after spending a week with Musk, I was back home in New Orleans watching a football game at my old high school. (The occasion was that it was one of the final games for the school’s superstar quarterback, Arch Manning.) My phone started vibrating with messages from Musk.

“This could be a giant disaster,” he texted. I went behind the bleachers to ask him what the problem was. He was in full Muskian crisis-hero-drama mode, this time understandably. A dangerous issue had arisen, and he believed there was “a non-trivial possibility,” as he put it, that it could lead to a nuclear war — with Starlink partly responsible. The Ukrainian military was attempting a sneak attack on the Russian naval fleet based at Sevastopol in Crimea by sending six small drone submarines packed with explosives, and it was using Starlink to guide them to the target.

Although he had readily supported Ukraine, he believed it was reckless for Ukraine to launch an attack on Crimea, which Russia had annexed in 2014. He had just spoken to the Russian ambassador to the United States. (In later conversations with a few other people, he seemed to imply that he had spoken directly to President Vladimir Putin, but to me he said his communications had gone through the ambassador.) The ambassador had explicitly told him that a Ukrainian attack on Crimea would lead to a nuclear response. Musk explained to me in great detail, as I stood behind the bleachers, the Russian laws and doctrines that decreed such a response.

Throughout the evening and into the night, he personally took charge of the situation. Allowing the use of Starlink for the attack, he concluded, could be a disaster for the world. So he secretly told his engineers to turn off coverage within 100 kilometers of the Crimean coast. As a result, when the Ukrainian drone subs got near the Russian fleet in Sevastopol, they lost connectivity and washed ashore harmlessly.

When the Ukrainian military noticed that Starlink was disabled in and around Crimea, Musk got frantic calls and texts asking him to turn the coverage back on. Fedorov, the deputy prime minister who had originally enlisted his help, secretly shared with him the details of how the drone subs were crucial to their fight for freedom. “We made the sea drones ourselves, they can destroy any cruiser or submarine,” he texted using an encrypted app. “I did not share this information with anyone. I just want you — the person who is changing the world through technology — to know this.”

Musk replied that the design of the drones was impressive, but he refused to turn the coverage for Crimea back on, arguing that Ukraine “is now going too far and inviting strategic defeat.” He discussed the situation with President Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark A. Milley, explaining to them that he did not wish Starlink to be used for offensive purposes. He also called the Russian ambassador to assure him that Starlink was being used for defensive purposes only. “If the Ukrainian attacks had succeeded in sinking the Russian fleet, it would have been like a mini Pearl Harbor and led to a major escalation,” Musk says. “We did not want to be a part of that.”

Musk continues to be a giant loving idiot w/r/t historical and geopolitical issues.

On the additional restrictions:

quote:

In early October, Musk extended his restrictions on the use of Starlink for offensive operations by disabling some of its coverage in the Russian-controlled regions of southern and eastern Ukraine. This resulted in another flurry of calls and highlighted the outsize role that Starlink was playing. Neither Ukraine nor the United States had been able to find any other communication systems that could match Starlink or fend off attacks from Russian hackers. Feeling unappreciated, he suggested that SpaceX was no longer willing to bear some of the financial burden.

Shotwell, president of SpaceX, also felt strongly that the company should stop subsidizing the Ukrainian military operation. Providing humanitarian help was fine, but private companies should not be financing a foreign country’s war. That should be left to the government, which is why the United States has a foreign military sales program that puts a layer of protection between private companies and foreign governments. Other companies, including big and profitable defense contractors, were charging billions to supply weapons to Ukraine, so it seemed unfair that Starlink, which was not yet profitable, should do it for free.

“We initially gave the Ukrainians free service for humanitarian and defense purposes, such as keeping up their hospitals and banking systems,” she says. “But then they started putting them on f---ing drones trying to blow up Russian ships. I’m happy to donate services for ambulances and hospitals and mothers. That’s what companies and people should do. But it’s wrong to pay for military drone strikes.”

Shotwell began negotiating a contract with the Pentagon. SpaceX would continue to provide another six months of free service to the terminals that were being used for humanitarian purposes, but it would no longer provide free service to ones used by the military; the Pentagon should pay for that. An agreement was struck that the Pentagon would pay SpaceX $145 million to cover the service.

But then the story leaked, igniting a backlash against Musk in the press. He decided to withdraw his request for funding. SpaceX would provide free service indefinitely for the terminals that were already in Ukraine. “The hell with it,” he tweeted. “Even though Starlink is still losing money & other companies are getting billions of taxpayer $, we’ll just keep funding Ukraine govt for free.”

Shotwell thought that was ridiculous. “The Pentagon had a $145 million check ready to hand to me, literally. Then Elon succumbed to the bullshit on Twitter and to the haters at the Pentagon who leaked the story.”
Fedorov tried to smooth things over by sending Musk encrypted text messages lavishing him with thanks. “Not everyone understands your contribution to Ukraine. I am confident that without Starlinks, we would be unable to function successfully. Thanks again.”

Musk shouldn't be anywhere near this conversations ffs.

quote:

Fedorov: The exclusion of these territories is absolutely unfair. I come from Vasylivka village in Zaporizhzhia region, my parents and friends live there. Now this village is occupied by Russian troops, and there is complete lawlessness and outrage—the residents are impatiently waiting for liberation. . . . At the end of September, we noticed that Starlink does not work in the liberated villages, which makes it impossible to restore the critical infrastructure of these territories. For us it is a matter of life and death.

Musk: Once Russia is fully mobilized, they will destroy all infrastructure throughout Ukraine and push far past the current territories. NATO will have to intervene to prevent all of Ukraine falling to Russia. At that point, risk of WW3 becomes very high.

Fedorov: Mobilization in Russia can lead to the overthrow of Putin. This is not a war of Russian people and they don’t want to go to Ukraine.

Musk: Russia will stop at nothing, nothing, to hold Crimea. This poses catastrophic risk to the world. . . . Seek peace while you have the upper hand. . . . Let’s discuss this. [Musk included his new private cell phone number.] I will support any pragmatic path to peace that serves the greater good for all of humanity.

Fedorov: I understand. We look through the eyes of Ukrainians, and you from the position of a person who wants to save humanity. And not just wants, but does more than anybody else for this.

Edit- added some bold

ummel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 8, 2023

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

i am a moron posted:

Anything you can do to keep radio signals secret you can also do on a transmission line, and anything you can do on a transmission line (other than maybe some freaky quantum poo poo) you can simulate via the internet.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Lol now I see why the russian government loves to just throw the nuclear threats around all the time, sometimes it works!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Starlink has to be very high on the priority list for Russian Electronic Warfare operators. The blackouts could very easily be the result of jamming.

e. per effort post above Musk really is geofencing. What a loving tool.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 8, 2023

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I spoke personally to Vladimir Putin... 's representative. He told me I was a big important man and I was about to save the world

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Lol now I see why the russian government loves to just throw the nuclear threats around all the time, sometimes it works!

Only, as it turns out, on one hopelessly mentally regressed person.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Has a virus or back door ever been "contracted" by radio? I wonder if you could spoof a radio transmitter and highjack a drone that way.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Can you jam a satellite connection (without attacking the satellite itself)?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

russians itt trying to bait people into breaking opsec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Can you jam a satellite connection (without attacking the satellite itself)?

Sure, just get line of sight to one of the ends of the connection and spit enough random noise at it that it can't tell signal from noise. Getting line of sight to the satellite is easy, but you need a beefy transmitter to be able to overpower whatever other transmitters are talking to it. Getting line of sight to the ground receiver is trickier, but if you can get there then it's pretty simple to jam.