Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Ha ha ha my sleep schedule is super broken ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

My new calendar is out!

You can preorder it on gumroad here: https://shinmera.gumroad.com/l/2024

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Another Dakka Orkgirl as I did my daily art early

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Gnossiennes posted:

I like Scott Robertson's books for industrial design sketching & rendering (How to Draw & How to Render -- not very inventive names, but they are really good resources for learning technical perspective and design rendering!).

Oh, nice. I've had those two books on my bookshelf for ages now. I'll bump them up in my queue and finally give them a whirl. Thanks.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Excellent!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Smik posted:

Excellent!

Thanks! I’m enjoying your dailies and also everyone else’s varied styles btw, I need to comment more. Are your drawings digital or pen and ink? I’m not entirely sure, but they look digital if I had to guess?

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

digital penitence posted:

Thanks! I’m enjoying your dailies and also everyone else’s varied styles btw, I need to comment more. Are your drawings digital or pen and ink? I’m not entirely sure, but they look digital if I had to guess?

Yes, I use digital: Clip Studio Paint with the "Real G Pen". I use that brush specifically because it looks like pen and ink. I'd like to try mucking about with Blender sometime too from what I've seen other goons do!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I realized I gotta step it up if I want to finish this sketchbook before the year is over, so here is today's page:

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Claeaus posted:

I realized I gotta step it up if I want to finish this sketchbook before the year is over, so here is today's page:

I'm quite curious about the creature on the lower-right.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Forgot to post this from last night:

Currently working on a VN background:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Smik posted:

I'm quite curious about the creature on the lower-right.

I just wanted to try and make something with a fat face. Then it kind of turned into a bird creature after I had drawn the head

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Smik posted:

Forgot to post this from last night:

Currently working on a VN background:

These have all been fantastic. Can you provide any details about the types of brush styles you're using to attain this type of line work? You mentioned it's Clip Studio Paint, which I've used before. But are you using any specific brush style configs to get these very unique, and very beautiful, results?

The heavy lines in contrast to the fine lines are particularly well done.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

IkeTurner posted:

These have all been fantastic. Can you provide any details about the types of brush styles you're using to attain this type of line work? You mentioned it's Clip Studio Paint, which I've used before. But are you using any specific brush style configs to get these very unique, and very beautiful, results?

The heavy lines in contrast to the fine lines are particularly well done.

I don't think I've adjusted the Real G-Pen at all, I'm just varying my pressure. It's funny I never thought my linework was anything special.

Anyhow, discovered that for the VN Contest drawing over images whose copyright you don't know about is also a no-go so I've had to redo my basement. Since the protagonist gets spirited away at night I'm taking some liberties with how stuff looks. This is going to be a base room I can hopefully re-use a bit.

Also this guy

Smik fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 7, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been letting the art slip, gotta renew the habit.

So I drew the dodgeball idiots

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
In a cynical attempt to get some attention on social media, I decided to do this year's Swordtember prompt-a-day challenge. I did last year's in 3D and I had a lot of fun with it, but it was very time consuming, so this time, I decided on an art style that was quicker and more fun to iterate with.

Here's the results from the first week!

Day 1: Witch

Day 2:

Day 3: Rogue

Day 4: Dragonslayer

Day 5: Spymaster

Day 6: Knight Errant

Day 7: Oracle

7 down, 23 to go.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love those!

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

ZnCu posted:

In a cynical attempt to get some attention on social media, I decided to do this year's Swordtember prompt-a-day challenge. I did last year's in 3D and I had a lot of fun with it, but it was very time consuming, so this time, I decided on an art style that was quicker and more fun to iterate with.

Really nice! I've never heard of "Swordtember". What social media do you use? I'm kind of out of touch with the art scene and I just kinda post to Tumblr on occasion after an art project completes.

Not this month though, between the Terry Fox 10KM Run for Cancer Research and the Spooktober game jam I've no time.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

HopperUK posted:

I love those!

Thank you!

Smik posted:

Really nice! I've never heard of "Swordtember". What social media do you use?

Swordtember is pretty new. It was started in 2020, I think as a reaction to the issues around Inktober. It doesn't really have a large audience yet, but unlike Mermay or Smaugust, doing a sword a day is a very achievable goal for me.

I'm on Twitter, Mastodon, and Bluesky, but have less than 500 followers combined because I'm terrible at self-promotion.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I've been letting the art slip, gotta renew the habit.

So I drew the dodgeball idiots

Love this, your sketch of Jason Bateman is hilarious.

This one is looking very Giger inspired!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Love this, your sketch of Jason Bateman is hilarious.

Thank you!!

Omg I love this pic. The hair! The expression! There's so much movement in it.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Thank you!!

Agreed, that's a great picture.

My daily

Also did this for my VN I'm working on for Spooktober. Maybe a trigger warning for horror?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ZnCu posted:

as a reaction to the issues around Inktober.

Huh?

*googles*

Huh.

(I enjoy seeing your work, y'all.)

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Some sketchwork practice

These ones have been cleaned up a bit more but still WIPs

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Thank you!!

Smik posted:

Agreed, that's a great picture.

Thanks! :) I was going for more realistim at first, but then just leaned into stylization, especially with the hair.
That's just how they work out, sometimes.

White Light posted:

Some sketchwork practice

These ones have been cleaned up a bit more but still WIPs

Nice! Some of your looser linework reminds me of the artwork from the first Sugarcubes album:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#2048: "I really am terrible, aren't I"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

day 88

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

vesta :swoon:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

She's an icon she's a legend and she is the moment, etc etc

Day 89

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Have you done Nan? My mother is deeply fond of Nan.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Uthor posted:

Huh?

*googles*

Huh.

(I enjoy seeing your work, y'all.)

Huh is right. The guy who invented inktober copywrited the name inktober and the art community threw a sh*t fit. It isn't like you can't just make an ink drawing every day of october and call it whatever you want.

Ugggghhhh....

This is fantastic BTW.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

sigma 6 posted:

Huh is right. The guy who invented inktober copywrited the name inktober and the art community threw a sh*t fit. It isn't like you can't just make an ink drawing every day of october and call it whatever you want.

The bigger issue is that the dude was accused of plagiarism, I think. Still, that's not really a reason to stop doing a neat thing. Just call it something else, like you suggest

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

King of Solomon posted:

The bigger issue is that the dude was accused of plagiarism, I think. Still, that's not really a reason to stop doing a neat thing. Just call it something else, like you suggest

Consistency is all that matters TBH. A prompt list is just an excuse to be consistent. Anyways...

https://brushwarriors.com/inktober-alternatives/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Trying to sketch some more proper scenes and not just free-floating monsters on a page