Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SubNat posted:

Another Bethesda-ism: Writing 1 specific line, and then having multiple voice actors repeat it verbatim. It's pretty typical of them to just have a pool of specific lines that all the incidental voice actors will say.
I'm currently on a space cruise. Over the course of the last 2 minutes or so, 4 different characters/voices have repeated the exact same line about how 'it would be nice with an open bar, but of course trident is gouging us for every credit they can.'

It's a bespoke line that is -probably- only used in this exact, unique, faction mission. And they still did the 'eh have every character repeat it and 2 other canned sentences' thing.
Walking through a ballroom, having half a dozen generic npcs repeat 'Are you here for business, or pleasure?' takes it to the point where they feel like a parody of themselves.
(I think there's 4 or 5 lines that get repeated constantly by every single npc in the room.)

I'd forgive a lot more in the game if it had just given me a ME1-Mako equivalent to bounce glitchily around on the planet surface with.

I don't get this. If different actors are recording those lines, why not make them a bit different?! It'll ...cost the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've complained about it ever since Oblivion came out and it didn't have spears, left and right pauldrons and gloves like Morrowind, but the march of reduced complexity in apparel/equipment options in Bethesda games.

Starfield follows the Fallout paradigm, where you have a bare handful of equipment slots to use to get bonuses: suit, helmet, jetpack, clothing. And again like Fallout it's "grounded" so you don't get, like, rings or amulets to further diversify your enchantments, cause let's be honest that exactly what my special spacesuit I found that magically halves the weight of all carried weapons: a piece of enchanted gear.

Do I want to be able to assemble a clown suit of a spacesuit from a dozen different pieces, juggling and judging the armor and protection stats of each and all that? Maybe not, but a few more options would be nice.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Sep 7, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Arrath posted:

Do I want to be able to assemble a clown suit of a spacesuit from a dozen different pieces

:yeah:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

50% armor boost but your boots loudly honk with every step

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

You say "but" like that's a debuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can I get calliope music instead of the honking shoes?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Something I enjoyed in earlier Bethesda games was the organic exploration; you're on the main road to Main Objective, but you see points of interest just off the beaten path and get sidetracked. Starfield's travel system takes a lot of this away. You won't be running across other things to do on the way to Main Objective if you're teleporting to the Main Objective Area on Main Objective Planet. Each planet only has a modest number of points of interest anyway, and from what I've seen, markers that I might run a kilometer to reach can just be an outpost with one person in it or a small cave with a few resources, with little or nothing in between. Since the basic form of travel is essentially fast travel, if you want to go out of your way you've essentially got to decide to do so in advance and that doesn't feel the same to me at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So what exactly does one do in Starfield? I just googled to see and you don't have vehicles or mounts. Is it simply just wandering around looking for people to shoot or hit with large pipes? I must be underestimating how much people want a sci-fi game if we're fine with less movement options than like, Far Cry 2 and both Rage games.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Something I enjoyed in earlier Bethesda games was the organic exploration; you're on the main road to Main Objective, but you see points of interest just off the beaten path and get sidetracked. Starfield's travel system takes a lot of this away. You won't be running across other things to do on the way to Main Objective if you're teleporting to the Main Objective Area on Main Objective Planet. Each planet only has a modest number of points of interest anyway, and from what I've seen, markers that I might run a kilometer to reach can just be an outpost with one person in it or a small cave with a few resources, with little or nothing in between. Since the basic form of travel is essentially fast travel, if you want to go out of your way you've essentially got to decide to do so in advance and that doesn't feel the same to me at all.

That's basically the only thing I play bethesda games for (and the only thing they do well/uniquely imo) so I'm struggling to understand the appeal of Starfield. The combat? The plot?

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Triarii posted:

That's basically the only thing I play bethesda games for (and the only thing they do well/uniquely imo) so I'm struggling to understand the appeal of Starfield. The combat? The plot?

well, you see, it's a new AAA video game, and what are people going to do, NOT play it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

So what exactly does one do in Starfield? I just googled to see and you don't have vehicles or mounts. Is it simply just wandering around looking for people to shoot or hit with large pipes? I must be underestimating how much people want a sci-fi game if we're fine with less movement options than like, Far Cry 2 and both Rage games.

There are, in fact, quite a lot of sidequests and activities, I am finding so far. So that's nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh it has mini games now? That's a good sign. I only played Skyrim (wasn't my type of game) but that's the only one I'm familiar with.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After playing the Boomer Shooter turbo overkill for the last couple of days, the thing dragging all other first person shooters down is the actual combat/shooting. I'm firing my rocket launcher so that I can use my grappling hook on the rocket to fly up into the sky and rain death down on my opponents, and traversing landscapes by using a sniper rifle that transports me into the target's body telefragging them, I am averaging about 3 kills per second when in the middle of a combat arena, and I am replenishing both my health and armour via cutting through swathes of enemies with my chainsaw leg.

Then I think of practically any modern Ubisoft shooter or the plethora of modern games that include nothing but stodgy slow combat against a handful of enemies at a time using iron sights and wonder why we went down that path instead of the majority of big name first person shooters being full of chaotic glee.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Because doing all of that crazy poo poo on a controller while fighting against the technical constraints of consoles is hard.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm old and tired and my reflexes are shot so my ideal shooter combat is either sniper rifle at very long distance with an enemy that doesn't move around too much, or waves of mooks and a rocket launcher with a big explosion. I realise this is a 'me' problem.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Because doing all of that crazy poo poo on a controller while fighting against the technical constraints of consoles is hard.

Also multiplayer.

As much as I love high mobility shooters (Ultrakill is just straight up fun) - they get insufferable the moment you introduce other real people. They feel good in single player because the entire scenario is designed and telegraphed to make you feel like a badass, but the moment you go online there's a dozen coke addled gremlins wall running circles around you and landing perfect weapon juggled 360 noscope headshots.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
My 43 year old rear end liking Boomer shooters, soulslikes and fighting games may be an aberration I guess. Here's to my reflexes and muscle memory crumbling into dust at some indeterminate point in the future. 😅

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Starfield has some of its hype because A) there still aren’t a ton of space opera RPGs compared to fantasy and B) it’s also that kind of space game that ticks the boxes for people who want to just fly a spaceship and visit a hundred planets and like run cargo and fight pirates and so on, the Elite thing, and those always generate excitement even if none of them can be the perfect detailed simulation that rabid core audience seems to want (see also Star Citizen).

And like yeah it’s a AAA Bethesda RPG even if critics are starting to look at those a little more closely compared to the rapturous receptions of FO3 and Skyrim.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Feats requiring 4 class levels and not just 4 levels in Baldur's Gate 3 sucks. The max level is 12, so you can only get 3 feats max, and this means if you want to pick up levels in another class you either have to commit for 4 levels or only have 2 feats.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Starfield is also on Gamepass which surely helps. I know if it weren't for that I'd just be waiting a year to buy it for half price with all the dlc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Here's hoping it's on October's Humble Bundle

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i thought about resubbing to game pass for starfield but for whatever dumb reason gamepass will only let me install games to the system drive and i dont want to dedicate 140 gigs of ssd space to it when im still playing baldurs gate

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Starfield has a painfully low inventory amount for the sheer amount of stuff you collect. Even the ship inventory is small. Even worse, there doesn't seem to be a good way to centralize this stuff and store it somewhere. I'm sure you are supposed to make an outpost, but I don't think I have everything I need to do that yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you don't have enough room on your ship just buy more cargo space.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I cant tell if I like Starfield or not because randomly, even while saving, it will suddenly decide to drop half the game's frames and nothing but fully rebooting the game gets them back

what the gently caress

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Meowywitch posted:

what the gently caress

You bought a Bethesda game at launch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captain Hygiene posted:

50% boost to armor, but -100% stealth penalty.

Unless you get an entire clown suit (Honking shoes, loose baggy pants, stuffed shirt, cotton gloves, red nose and fright wig). Then it becomes 200% stealth bonus because everyone actively ignores/avoids you. This locks you out of all face to face dialogue options though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leal posted:

Feats requiring 4 class levels and not just 4 levels in Baldur's Gate 3 sucks. The max level is 12, so you can only get 3 feats max, and this means if you want to pick up levels in another class you either have to commit for 4 levels or only have 2 feats.
*pulls out a big whiteboard, when you briefly regain consciousness an unknown time later you hear* ...and so the actual issue here is a la carte multiclassing. 5e was perfectly suited to leverage archetypes as an evolution of 4e's multiclass system to fill most of the actual use cases for a la carte multiclassing without the many, many downsides but noo, they had to revert to 3.x because.. *you mercifully fade back out*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think limiting ASI to feats was Larian's attempt to somewhat balance multiclassing, since they removed the base ability score requirements from 5E. Some are still really really good (Tavern Brawler, Alert, Great Weapon Master, etc.) although what I would probably do is give every feat at least 1 ASI to make it easier to hit your breakpoints.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Splicer posted:

*pulls out a big whiteboard, when you briefly regain consciousness an unknown time later you hear* ...and so the actual issue here is a la carte multiclassing. 5e was perfectly suited to leverage archetypes as an evolution of 4e's multiclass system to fill most of the actual use cases for a la carte multiclassing without the many, many downsides but noo, they had to revert to 3.x because.. *you mercifully fade back out*

But then, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4u4aB-ElE&t=5s

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

50% boost to armor, but -100% stealth penalty.

Unless you get an entire clown suit (Honking shoes, loose baggy pants, stuffed shirt, cotton gloves, red nose and fright wig). Then it becomes 200% stealth bonus because everyone actively ignores/avoids you. This locks you out of all face to face dialogue options though.

All face to face dialgoue besides guards. When they try to arrest you for breaking the law, your normal options for evading arrest appear but the last one is "[SLAPPY]: 'Say officer, would you like to take a sniff of this pretty flower on my lapel?' "

The first part actually kinds gives me mime vibes, and I'm surprised more games (besides, I'm assuming, Hitman) don't have mime costumes. Literally looking more and more suspicious/like a burglar or convict, until you apply the face paint + beret and suddenly nobody wants to even look at you!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is basically the conceit behind The Filth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Death to Status Q!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

I agree, D&D really would have been a much better game system if we just went from 2nd/AD&D to 4th, and cut out the horrible Abomination that is 3rd/3.5.

Things dragging games down: Fighters losing their massive defenses against magic.

Edit: Oh god don't take this seriously.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Sep 8, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Breetai posted:

You bought a Bethesda game at launch.

Well game pass but yeah

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm glad I saved getting to Nowhere in Forspoken for the last optional area, because my GOD it was hard. Navigating treacherous cliffs was stressful enough, but then a Breakstorm hit while I was navigating so I couldn't see poo poo. I have no idea if that was a scripted breakstorm but it made getting through that area so hard due to infinitely spawning enemies and no visibility. I've got there now though, so the last few trophies are in reach. There's a few areas where simply getting through them is the challenge and then the next fast travel point isn't until the area is done, which is an interesting change, really gets you good at platforming. I do like that getting all the monuments of each type gives you a little speech from each Tanta discussing how they expect you to use their power, it's a cute way of telling you you have them all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randalor posted:

I agree, D&D really would have been a much better game system if we just went from 2nd/AD&D to 4th, and cut out the horrible Abomination that is 3rd/3.5.

Things dragging games down: Fighters losing their massive defenses against magic.

Edit: Oh god don't take this seriously.
Man I don't know what point you're making here but I'm happy you're having a good time.
"Hey you, you're finally awake. As I was saying the 3.x/5e multiclassing systen adds all the cons of point buy with little of the pros and hey, hey, no cutting in line"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

After 250 hours I'm finally burned out on Baldur's Gate 3. I'm at a point in Act 3 where I have 5 major paths to go

1 path that obviously ties into the Cleric's personal story
1 path that obviously ties into the Rogue's personal story
1 path that I recognized the name of, and if I do it out-of-order the scripting gets fucky (also another party member's personal quest)
1 path that also can make things funky if I do it too early
1 path that requires killing a bunch of cultists and hoping they don't kill a plot-important character Warrior Githyanki

I do want to do those personal quests, but I don't have any of those party members actually in my party right now. You get 3 new ones in Act 2/3 and I've been running around with them, because they all know each other already.

And moving poo poo between parry members loving sucks. That's the thing stopping me. Game is 10/10 great otherwise, but I'm done dragging and dropping individual items between inventories and balancing carrying weights, just to bring along a party member for their personal story, and I'm not doing the missions without them. I think I've got my money's worth for a first playthrough and I'll probably keep all those saves so when my second playthrough catches up, I can compare/contrast.

In a year. When the modding scene releases "BetterInventory/BetterUI Unofficial Patch"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

freelancer mode in hitman seems really loving cool but it adds so much weird new poo poo in scenarios that are ridiculously high-stakes that it's hard to actually figure some of it out before accidentally losing a campaign. i wish there was some kind of training mode where you could choose a level and type of scenario with a few complications if you feel spicy and run through it without tying it into the reward system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For as middling as the Outer Worlds was, it had the good sense to have the one inventory. Party members outside of the player don't have their own poo poo, but their presence alone increases your carry-weight.