Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone tried Mountain Home?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/370421/Mountain-Home-a-Forged-in-the-Dark-game-of-dwarven-settlementbuilding

I have a buddy who wants to get his Dwarf Fortress on in a ttrpg. How Dwarfy is this? From one to five cat-splosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
I'm trying to design a BitD-adjacent game and was curious, based on the criticisms I've seen here, what the players in the thread might want to/hope not to see in a Blades-ish game about fantasy revolutionaries assassinating adventurers. I jokingly describe it as Monster Hunter except the monsters are high-level D&D characters and the hunters are communist farmers. I'm open to any suggestions that kind of pitch might stir.

But specifically, I'm hoping to have an open-table design, where the persistent elements in every session are the GM, the setting, and the players' targets, but the players, and the Agent characters they play, could be different each time. (They'll be simpler, broader characters than your typical BitD crew.) Play will also be structured into two phases each session: a higher-level, more abstracted Council Phase, where players influence the different parts of the revolutionary group and run quick, one-roll recon and maintenance missions, and a longer, more grounded Agent Phase, where players play as their Agents on a mission or two.

What ideas, concerns, hopes, etc. might you have about a system that tries to wrap up any unfinished missions or unresolved fallout by the end of each session, because the next session might have a completely different roster of players and/or Agents? Would it be frustrating for the real-world time of the game session to be a timer on pulling off a mission? Would resolving unfinished missions with a simple roll if you ran out of time feel hollow? Would you be annoyed if you had to start a session by specifying and dealing with the fallout of an unfinished mission you might not have been a part of in the previous session?

I want the players to feel like they're part of a bigger organization that they don't always have direct control of, and they have to adapt to the state the group is in at the time, working with what they have. Any suggestions to avoid or mitigate potential frustrations with that approach?

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 18, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

JMBosch posted:

I'm trying to design a BitD-adjacent game and was curious, based on the criticisms I've seen here, what the players in the thread might want to/hope not to see in a Blades-ish game about fantasy revolutionaries assassinating adventurers. I jokingly describe it as Monster Hunter except the monsters are high-level D&D characters and the hunters are communist farmers. I'm open to any suggestions that kind of pitch might stir.

But specifically, I'm hoping to have an open-table design, where the persistent elements in every session are the GM, the setting, and the players' targets, but the players, and the Agent characters they play, could be different each time. (They'll be simpler, broader characters than your typical BitD crew.) Play will also be structured into two phases each session: a higher-level, more abstracted Council Phase, where players influence the different parts of the revolutionary group and run quick, one-roll recon and maintenance missions, and a longer, more grounded Agent Phase, where players play as their Agents on a mission or two.

What ideas, concerns, hopes, etc. might you have about a system that tries to wrap up any unfinished missions or unresolved fallout by the end of each session, because the next session might have a completely different roster of players and/or Agents? Would it be frustrating for the real-world time of the game session to be a timer on pulling off a mission? Would resolving unfinished missions with a simple roll if you ran out of time feel hollow? Would you be annoyed if you had to start a session by specifying and dealing with the fallout of an unfinished mission you might not have been a part of in the previous session?

I want the players to feel like they're part of a bigger organization that they don't always have direct control of, and they have to adapt to the state the group is in at the time, working with what they have. Any suggestions to avoid or mitigate potential frustrations with that approach?
You might want to check out Spire too, since it's a concept not too dissimilar from what you're shooting for that was developed in parallel to BitD based on inspiration from pbta.

One thing I'd say that's important mechanically is figuring out how 'expendable' the PCs are or even how winnable the long term goal of the protagonist org is/does the system support ongoing play afterwards?
A common critique of Spire is the game only focuses on the revolution. Like blades generally starts with low level thugs scraping by, but also supports high tier "you run the underbelly of the city." Spire on the other hand is strictly a game about revolutionaries, so the party not succeeding-or the game ending if they do- is baked in.

Limiting scores to a real life timer would be a hard pitch for my group, and I'd say would probably be intimidating for less experienced or confident players since asking questions or having aspects of the game explained to them would quite literally be burning resources. It would also encourage the loudest/quickest person at the table steering things -more so than what already happens in rpgs.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

JMBosch posted:

Sounds like this could share a lot of DNA with Wicked Ones, a BitD hack that I think is still free at DTRPG.

To answer your questions:
1. I think trying to wrap it by session instead of by in-game mission should be a GMing goal, not a rule. Some days things will just run long (and you'll have to cut it); other days, things will run short (and what do you do? Start another mission and risk having to cut it off?) The ways to address a long mission or a mini-mission brought on by a short mission (overly simplistic mission, rushing through the mission, eliding important but not central parts of the mission, etc.) don't sound satisfactory.

2. Yes; see above. You can make it a GMIng goal, but I would hesitate to make it a game rule.

3. Ugh, I already hate engagement rolls and those are just to set initial position. Instead of settling it by roll(s), I'd rather have the mission success adjudicated by GM fiat as a failure, partially successful, completely successful, or critically successful based on performance to date in the mission, if I had to choose, but I really would rather not have it done this way (see #2)

4. Maybe a little, but a GM should be able to find something for me to do, even if it's just being the clock-monkey. I think that this is the preferable way to handle things, rather than try to wrap everything neatly.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Both of you bring up good points, and I'm definitely already looking at Spire and Wicked Ones for inspiration.

Yeah, there are still big issues with session-limited scores/missions. I was drawing inspiration from the old-school D&D open table play. But I'm realizing that the narrative structure of a covert mission with specific goals is much more fragile than the narrative of dungeon delving to explore and loot, and it's much more difficult to justify why an Agent would abandon a mission than why an adventuring party would rush out of a dungeon back to town. GM fiat could probably work for a lot of the interrupted mission resolution, but I'd like to give them a bit more of a structure to work with. Maybe each mission has a primary goal clock and 1+ secondary goal clocks, and if a mission has to be cut short, the GM can make a (quick!) roll for each goal based on how far the clock is, with failure causing stress or something.

In terms of lethality, Agents should be somewhat disposable. I'd probably aim for a good chance of a character dying once every 2 to 4 sessions or so. Making a new one should be fairly quick, but it drains some of the revolutionary group's resources. So intentionally killing off characters who are in bad situations shouldn't be a useable strategy.

For the end game, currently the plan is that for each new player to your playgroup, the GM adds a new adventurer that needs to be taken down. (Each adventurer could take anywhere from like 1 to 5 sessions to take down.) So the bigger your pool of players for your campaign, the more threats need to be toppled to eventually "win" the campaign. If the players are able to eliminate all of the adventurers, they've grown their revolutionary group to be strong enough to rival the current sovereign, who was no more legendary adventurers to hire to protect them.

The intent is that you would wrap up the campaign there, or maybe run one more "adventurer" as the sovereign before wrapping up. Then you could write up a new setting and campaign. But if that's already an existing criticism of Spire, I may have to rethink it. Blades seems to get most of its higher-level play from the faction game, trying to stay on top, right? I still need to work out the mechanics having to do with "society at large," so maybe I can break society into a cast of demographics or interest groups that have their own needs and desires they're pursuing, that the revolutionary group either helps or gets in the way of. But if the council gameplay isn't as engaging as the mission gameplay, it might feel kind of hollow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My game has ended up a lot different from what you’re going for but one thing I’ll say is that it can be hard to really nail down the timing of sessions in a way that I didn’t experience with like 5E. I think because you can get away with less structure in a BITD game and because I do let my players “plan” a little more than the game would like, though, I’ve found this a struggle. Some “simple” scores end up going over two sessions because the players just ended up in a cool scenario they wanted to do more actions/narrate more where others they’re okay blowing through large sections of a score with minimal exposition. I couldn’t really nail down when I was going to go long or short and just planned for both outcomes, including if we started up finishing the previous week’s score. I was helped by having a static group that tended to eschew more of the disposable nature of PCs (at least to the full extent of the game, we still had a little shuffling.)

It sounds like you’ve probably got enough experience that you’re aware of this and how to manage it though so maybe it’s not a big revelation.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 18, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

JMBosch posted:

have you looked at band of blades? i haven't played it, but my impression is that it has a similar loop: what really persists between sessions is the military company and the high ranking soldiers. individual missions are played using the grunts of the company, who can survive to join later missions, or die with no big impact on the company itself

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
I had looked at Band of Blades briefly. I like the asymmetric player roles, but I also saw a big review complaining that it was too resource-management-heavy for the party to engage with much else and that keeping all of its plates spinning in the air was really draining on the players. If anyone's had experience playing or running it, I'd be interested to know if you felt similarly or not.

I'm definitely moving away from the rigid session structure for my game, though. It'll probably be more rewarding (and less frustrating to run) for it to flow more like BitD does, following the fiction and just bringing in the different mechanics when needed. The revolutionary group will now be much more distant and abstract, focusing much more on the Agents, and I'll probably cut some of the "Councils Plotting Missions" phase and reabsorb the remains of that into the Agent's actions. It might have been a bit of the ol' hubris to try cramming systems for running a radically democratic, multi-council revolutionary government and a low-level civil war into my game about, essentially, assassinating fantasy billionaire adventurers to stop genocide and environmental destruction. Refocusing on the various human and non-human communities that are impacted by the adventurers' actions and how the Agents form connections with them, rather than on the various sectors of society wanting revolutionary change.

But I'll still need some kind of "bridging" mechanic to hold on to some sense of continuity between the sessions, regardless of where the last one left off and the next one is starting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JMBosch posted:

I had looked at Band of Blades briefly. I like the asymmetric player roles, but I also saw a big review complaining that it was too resource-management-heavy for the party to engage with much else and that keeping all of its plates spinning in the air was really draining on the players. If anyone's had experience playing or running it, I'd be interested to know if you felt similarly or not.

This sounds like it was written by someone who never played BitD because BoB's campaign phase resource management is roughly as complex as BitD's, and is entirely confined to the campaign phase (also like BitD). The in-mission "resource management" (spending stress) is exactly identical.

If you have specific questions I can answer them as I just finished running the campaign, but I would suggest just reading the game in full.

e; though one piece of completely fair criticism you can levy against BoB is that like a lot of PbtA/FitD hacks it assumes complete mastery of the game it's a hack of. The BoB rulebook places too much apparent focus on the campaign mechanics, because those are the most different from BitD, and fails to stress that the vast majority of the campaign phase needs to be spent roleplaying the Legion's life (with the actual campaign mechanics being something you sort out in a few minutes).

If you don't already have experience playing/running BitD it's easy to make the mistake of thinking the campaign phase is a pure mechanical phase and all roleplaying happens in the missions, and end up with a really unsatisfying experience.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 20, 2022

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you don't already have experience playing/running BitD it's easy to make the mistake of thinking the campaign phase is a pure mechanical phase and all roleplaying happens in the missions, and end up with a really unsatisfying experience.
Found the review again. Probably clicked it because of the inflammatory title. He's coming from playing "lots of S&V, and a bit of BitD," and looking again, it seems like he probably did something very similar to what you're warning against. He talks about trying to ensure all the players were aware of all the potential options for modifying position, effect, etc. every roll. He might have created some of his own problems from approaching the game in a more boardgame-y fashion, which, to be fair, is a problem I have when I work on my designs too.

How many sessions did it take for your campaign to get to the end in BoB? And how long were your sessions? Would you be able to give a rough ratio of how much of that time was spent doing what?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JMBosch posted:

How many sessions did it take for your campaign to get to the end in BoB? And how long were your sessions? Would you be able to give a rough ratio of how much of that time was spent doing what?

The campaign ran for ~14 months with one session every other week, for a total of 29 sessions, which were generally around 3 hours long (sometimes a little shorter or a little longer if we hit a natural break point).

We made the mistake of not spending nearly enough time in campaign phase free play scenes at the start, so for maybe the first third of that we were jumping from mission to mission as quickly as possible, which really hurt the experience. After course-correcting, we started splitting the time roughly 50/50 between mission and campaign phases.

Most of the time this was literally a full session in a mission followed by a full session for one campaign phase (including the time spent generating new missions, doing the mechanical bits, and roleplaying what the Legion was up to). Rarely, this would be a shorter mission and a shorter campaign phase in the same 3 hour session, just because not every mission has enough meat to it to justify spending 2-3 hours.

Generating missions usually took me about 30 minutes, which I would try to do between sessions when possible, but sometimes it made more sense to do it with the players present. Doing campaign actions would usually take 20-30 minutes as the players discussed what the Legion needed most. The rest of the campaign phase was spent in free play scenes deciding what was happening to the various legionnaires and command staff during or between missions.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
Thanks for the breakdown; that helps give me more perspective. Guess I need to focus on making all relevant "modes" of play interesting and versatile enough that each group will find the balance they like most, and provide enough GM guidance to make sure they don't lose the forest for the trees.

I don't mean to hijack the thread for design talk. I'm just interested in how to hit a similar "game feel" to something like BitD without simply lightly tweaking the FitD system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
We did a post-mortem on the campaign after it ended and I had a bunch of notes which I'd been meaning to write up for this thread, as well, so I took the time to do so just now.

Here are the things myself and my group took away from my running BoB for them, split into three categories (the stuff you absolutely need to know, small mechanical things I would consider houseruling, and some more minor points about the fictional framing of the whole campaign):

Important game things:
  • Do not ever skip out on roleplaying what's going on with the Legion between missions. The book puts too much emphasis on the actual campaign mechanics when in reality those should be taking very little of your campaign phase, proportionally-speaking. Playing through what the various legionnaires do between missions (especially anyone who did something memorable in previous missions) is the absolute meat of the campaign phase and where you should be spending 80% of your campaign phase time; it's how you make the Legion and the legionnaires into actual characters your players will remember and care about.

• Corollary to the above, the game tells you the Lorekeeper role is optional. It is lying. The Lorekeeper is probably the single most important campaign role to make sure someone is running, after the Commander. If you don't have enough players for a LK and no one wants to double up on roles after assigning the Commander/Marshal/QM, give it to the GM, because some form of Back at Camp scenes have to be set after every mission (obviously, if the LK playbook list of scenes ever runs up against the fiction as established in play, disregard it and make up your own) otherwise the Legion doesn't exist as a character.

• Make the players actually roleplay as their command staff characters in the campaign phase/Back at Camp/free play scenes so they exist as characters instead of purely as a gameplay function. In addition to occasionally catching up with them and how they do their duties, any time something important happens or is revealed in a mission, or some legionnaires do something dumb/bad/obviously in breach of discipline or regulations, it's time for a scene where the command staff discuss what to do among themselves after someone made their report (and as GM, it's your job to point out where the command staff's personality traits are going to cause them to butt up against each other until players start naturally roleplaying them).

• Don't make the mistake of leaving the Chosen out of these scenes, either. The Chosen is effectively the GM's campaign phase character and should be played accordingly. Actively involve them and their mystical bullshit in the campaign phase scenes. Their being with the Legion is the main reason why the retreat to Skydagger Keep is the campaign's entire objective, and they can't participate in most missions, so this is needed to make their presence felt.

• If you want the Broken to be a significant presence, make them show up and do stuff relatively early, and consider framing some free play scenes from their perspective. There isn't really a natural escalation point for them to suddenly appear in person, and we ended up just not seeing them at all (though several lieutenants and elites made appearances and a few missions dealt with foiling some of their plans).

• Don't pull your punches when it comes to NPC death. The book doesn't do a good job of explaining this, but legionnaires not being actively played by a player are best treated as just ablative HP for the squad - whenever the squad as a whole is taking harm, you should be killing or at least seriously wounding one NPC legionnaire for every level of harm the squad takes. This is a consequence players can resist like any other.

Mechanical quibbles:
  • The way resistance stress costs work has been iterated-on since Band of Blades came out, generally to smooth the cost out. For example, Brinkwood has resistance rolls cost 0 stress on a crit, 1 stress on a 6, 2 stress on a 4-5 and 3 stress on a 3-, instead of just making them cost 6-roll stress. I like this more because it's a lot less swingy, and we ended up swapping to these costs halfway through the campaign.

• Non-specialists getting zero XP out of secondary missions didn't make sense and felt bad, so we ended up awarding them 1XP per secondary mission (vs. 2 for specialists). You could probably just give 2XP to everyone and not break anything.

• The way morale loss from casualties works and the way it ties in to the number of campaign actions you get can be really wonky if your players don't grasp its importance ahead of time. You may end up having to treat NPCs with kid gloves (in a way that damages the war-horror part of the fiction) because otherwise the morale cost would significantly hamper the players' ability to take actions during the campaign phase. On the flipside, if no one is really dying, morale is absolutely trivial to replenish because Liberty gives so much free morale (and players will want to take Liberties to restore stress anyway).

The end result here is that if you're having legionnaires die at a reasonable clip as dictated by the fiction and the genre, players are basically forced to spend one of their campaign actions on Liberty every campaign turn in order to keep up with morale loss from mission casualties, and if they dip to medium morale they are now unable to do anything except Liberty as their single campaign action or else they'll drop to low morale and no longer be able to recover morale. I'll also add that fiction-wise, having the Legion party after every single mission is a bit silly.

• A solution to the above would be for morale loss to be per mission where there were casualties instead of per casualty; i.e. if any number of legionnaires (or NPC allies) died in a mission, Legion morale goes down by 1 (I would also suggest -1 morale if the Legion outright fails a mission they chose to go on). Liberty would then not restore any morale on a basic action, and only restore a small amount on a boosted action. This smooths out the morale loss/gain so losses are less frequent and less swingy, but also harder to overcome.

• Minor gamefeel thing: high rolls on Advance ticking in more Time segments feel pretty bad, and the next time I run BoB I'll just flip the numbers entirely (i.e. 1 = 3 segments, 2-3 = 2 segments, 4+ = 1 segment). Yes, it breaks the universal resolution system but it feels significantly better as a player.

• Less minor issue with Advance: I also don't think crits should exist here - my players actually technically lost the campaign by rolling a crit and filling in the last Time clock as they were advancing to Skydagger, which felt like absolute poo poo to everyone involved after 14 months of playing the game (we ignored this and pushed on to Skydagger and they just took fictional penalties for having the undead a day behind them instead of a week). If you want to put more Time pressure on them as a GM, just throw +1 Time or Pressure into mission penalties and force them to make hard choices on which missions they're taking.

• We never rolled a single long-term project action, and the only acquire asset was when the players were forced to roll one to get boats to cross from Westlake to Eastlake. Part of this is because of the morale issue I listed above, and part of it is just because LTP/AA have less obvious results than Liberty/R&R/Recruit. I would be tempted to change the campaign action structure so that you get one campaign action no matter what, but having high morale also gives you a free LTP/AA action, and low morale gives you -1d to engagement rolls instead of losing you your last action. This encourages players to to LTP/AA and also stops the weird morale death spiral.

• Side note: it's weird that there isn't even a single-page epilogue for what happens when you lose the campaign due to running out of Time. We only realised this when I went to look up how the campaign should end from the aforementioned crit Advance roll.

Verisimilitude stuff:
  • The book doesn't offer any reasons why you can't just deploy the Chosen as a nuke every time there's a mission with serious stakes. Come up with an excuse - mine was that the Chosen had to suppress their power most of the time so that they didn't act as a gigantic beacon above the Legion's head telling the Broken exactly where they were at all times. You could also decide that Ettenmark taxed them pretty heavily in some way or another (they got wounded, or expended most of their power fighting the Broken and now need several weeks of rest) - whatever works for your group.

• YMMV as I played with a bunch of wargamers/history nuts, but a lot of stuff about the Legion's size and capabilities doesn't add up. Going from any sizeable number of soldiers (even just 500-1000) to just 40 people would have a much larger impact on morale and unit cohesion than the game suggests, and it really feels like they should have some baggage and camp followers (beyond Labourers as a game resource).

• For the same reason, the entire Legion top brass all magically surviving and going on to command the last 40 soldiers felt a little too convenient. Since one of the later missions has you meet the Banner Guard, who are a unit inside the Legion, we ended up deciding the Legion had multiple companies all with their own command staff (the Commander isn't the commander of the whole Legion, but a person with the rank of commander, in charge of a single company), and that the part of the Legion you play is one such company that's been reduced to roughly half strength. The Banner Guard ended up being another company (the elite one), and this led to a cool moment where we got to roleplay through the player-Legion realising they weren't the last surviving legionnaires.

• The above change in the fiction made us all wish there was a choice in setup of what type of company you are, so you'd pick between e.g. engineering/logistics/assault/etc. and get some small campaign phase bonuses and different starting Rookie stats - mostly because the idea of playing the rearguard paper-pushing logistics guys triumphing over the Cinder King's forces through loophole-abusing supply contract negotiations despite rookies who don't know how to shoot their guns would be really funny.

• Finally, having missions always involve a single squad no matter what can feel very artificial and limiting. I recommend occasionally ignoring the limitation entirely when it makes sense, i.e. if you want to come up with missions that require 2-3 squads to hit different objectives at the same time and running those as mini-missions that the players play through one by one. The game is already troupe play, so bouncing between squads like this isn't particularly taxing on anyone, and it can really help the game feel more like you're involved in an actual war.

As an example: I ran the mandatory Fort Calisco assault mission as a three-squad affair where one squad had to take out an undead picket camp to make them think an assault was coming from one direction and draw forces away, then two squads lead an assault on the main undead camp - one of them took the Chosen to raise hell, and the other set out to blow up the siege weapons. Everyone loved this and I should have done it more frequently and earlier in the campaign.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 21, 2022

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

One thing you should do which I saw in the RITS hack but came up with independently is just like trauma and vice and background, you should make roleplaying Harm an xp trigger. This way players actually remind you when they have -1D on a roll.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dex_sda posted:

One thing you should do which I saw in the RITS hack but came up with independently is just like trauma and vice and background, you should make roleplaying Harm an xp trigger. This way players actually remind you when they have -1D on a roll.

oh this is clever

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dex_sda posted:

That's a neat idea that also makes curing harms less of an ASAP thing

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Walker posted:

Blades in the Neath

Very early WIP sheets for playbooks and crews. Hoping for critique from TG goons.

Design and setting notes:
• A major conceit in the Fallen London setting is that people do not die if they are killed. Well, they do, but they get better after a narratively appropriate amount of time. There's some changes to the Harm and Trauma rules reflecting this.
• There's no ghost field or unified source of magic, but there are a lot of weird phenomena and I want every playbook to have access to at least one. The Whisper is largely unfinished because I wasn't sure about a more specific focus than "person who does witchcraft".
• PCs in Fallen London inevitably usually get to tier III or IV just by nature of being protagonists. A crew of thugs and lowlifes will have to fight for every centimetre of turf.
• I wanted to distill the crew types down to Shadows, Firebrands (Bravos with revolutionary flavor) and Wheelers (combined Smugglers/Hawkers). Not sure how well I handled that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Clarifying rules question: you can spend a Coin to improve the result of a downtime activity, but does that extend to Train? The way it’s written doesn’t make clear whether Train is an exception among downtime activities, but since it doesn’t involve a roll it’s unclear how the normal “spend a coin to improve” mechanic would apply. Another player in a group I’m in was wondering if they could spend a Coin to get +1 XP and put themselves over the line to get another dot in an action.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pirate Radar posted:

Clarifying rules question: you can spend a Coin to improve the result of a downtime activity, but does that extend to Train? The way it’s written doesn’t make clear whether Train is an exception among downtime activities, but since it doesn’t involve a roll it’s unclear how the normal “spend a coin to improve” mechanic would apply. Another player in a group I’m in was wondering if they could spend a Coin to get +1 XP and put themselves over the line to get another dot in an action.

Rules-as-written I'd say you can't. You're not improving the result of a die roll and you can't train more than once per downtime. The Crew training upgrades give 2xp for each category when training though if they already have one of those they've overlooked.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 29, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lemon-Lime posted:

We did a post-mortem on the campaign after it ended and I had a bunch of notes which I'd been meaning to write up for this thread, as well, so I took the time to do so just now.

Heya I know this is very late, but thanks for this. I've never run a Band of Blades game but it is always something I would love to do at some point, and I wanted to thank you for making this list of hints and tops and telling your story.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This is admittedly judgemental and maybe speaks to me and my players, but the minute players start really drilling into how to get extra XP out of training, it feels like I’ve started to lose the thread of the system and what I should be pushing people toward. I had to really lay into making people come up with little described vignettes for training because that started to want to spend every last resource on that because it led to better dice. I get it, but I feel like my players let me down a little in being too worried about mechanical outcomes and I tried to redirect the energy desperately once they figured out how to say “I want to gain experience without any fiction/play.”

Maybe this is not relevant to your situation but having DMed Blades for over a year now whenever a player starts poking into “But what about this, but with training?” It starts to raise red flags for people trying to extract a more mechanical result than the fiction first approach the game and myself as GM try to cultivate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is admittedly judgemental and maybe speaks to me and my players, but the minute players start really drilling into how to get extra XP out of training, it feels like I’ve started to lose the thread of the system and what I should be pushing people toward. I had to really lay into making people come up with little described vignettes for training because that started to want to spend every last resource on that because it led to better dice. I get it, but I feel like my players let me down a little in being too worried about mechanical outcomes and I tried to redirect the energy desperately once they figured out how to say “I want to gain experience without any fiction/play.”

Maybe this is not relevant to your situation but having DMed Blades for over a year now whenever a player starts poking into “But what about this, but with training?” It starts to raise red flags for people trying to extract a more mechanical result than the fiction first approach the game and myself as GM try to cultivate.

I’m not the GM this time, so I’m not necessarily steering the group, but this is my whole group’s (GM included) first time playing Blades so there’s definitely a learning process for us in figuring out the sort of landscape of the system and what comes first at different times.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I’m not the GM this time, so I’m not necessarily steering the group, but this is my whole group’s (GM included) first time playing Blades so there’s definitely a learning process for us in figuring out the sort of landscape of the system and what comes first at different times.

I love the system but I’ve come to realize that my group isn’t great for it, as they want more mechanical depth I’m not willing to try and host as a GM.

Again though, maybe not relevant for you hopefully! Its a great system if you have very “fiction first” players and while I know the book says it, I can’t emphasize enough that it really does live or die around that. My players really want to play a Bethesda RPG in terms of mechanical depth, and now that they’ve sniffed out how the dice work, I’m considering a hard stop and trying to find a more appropriate system and/or a different GM.

E: I feel like I’m offloading my own games baggage too much. The takeaway I want to express is that any rules are fine if they fit the fiction. Improving outcomes in downtime might not fit the book but if someone made it a good story I’d let them have whatever outcome they were shooting for.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'd suggest Burning Wheel if you do change games. It might scratch their fondness for diving into mechanics while really tying their powergaming into their characters' motivations and beliefs. I don't particularly like reading or running Burning Wheel, but it really does get people to think about their roleplay better.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Lemon-Lime posted:

[*]The way morale loss from casualties works and the way it ties in to the number of campaign actions you get can be really wonky if your players don't grasp its importance ahead of time. You may end up having to treat NPCs with kid gloves (in a way that damages the war-horror part of the fiction) because otherwise the morale cost would significantly hamper the players' ability to take actions during the campaign phase. On the flipside, if no one is really dying, morale is absolutely trivial to replenish because Liberty gives so much free morale (and players will want to take Liberties to restore stress anyway).

The end result here is that if you're having legionnaires die at a reasonable clip as dictated by the fiction and the genre, players are basically forced to spend one of their campaign actions on Liberty every campaign turn in order to keep up with morale loss from mission casualties, and if they dip to medium morale they are now unable to do anything except Liberty as their single campaign action or else they'll drop to low morale and no longer be able to recover morale. I'll also add that fiction-wise, having the Legion party after every single mission is a bit silly.

[*]A solution to the above would be for morale loss to be per mission where there were casualties instead of per casualty; i.e. if any number of legionnaires (or NPC allies) died in a mission, Legion morale goes down by 1 (I would also suggest -1 morale if the Legion outright fails a mission they chose to go on). Liberty would then not restore any morale on a basic action, and only restore a small amount on a boosted action. This smooths out the morale loss/gain so losses are less frequent and less swingy, but also harder to overcome.

I'm also very late to this but I do like this idea as well as removing campaign action restrictions based on morale (and changing it with some other mechanical difference).

It was very difficult as a GM to really hammer home the "War is hell, people are gonna die" part when every single individual rookie death is so mechanically devastating. It's easy enough to replace them with new rookies but the actual morale loss is enough to sink the whole campaign. Even just losing a couple soldiers in a mission would be enough to lead to a morale/stress spiral that they would be hard pressed to get out of, especially if they dipped low enough to lose out on campaign actions altogether.

Other than that though I absolutely loved the setting and the other mechanical bits and bobs. I would just definitely look for an alternative to how morale works for sure.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That always seems like a hard mechanical problem to me. If you don't have any comeback mechanics, then you end up not really engaging with anything that starts a negative spiral because its better to just scrap the whole thing and start fresh - or just turn off the system - than deal with it, which means you basically have a binary between flawless runs and "we just quit." On the other hand, anybody who's seen speedrunning or thought about strategy games knows that if comeback mechanics are too strong then the optimal strategy becomes counterintuitive e.g. feed a redshirt into a woodchipper at the start or end of every mission.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm also very late to this but I do like this idea as well as removing campaign action restrictions based on morale (and changing it with some other mechanical difference).

It was very difficult as a GM to really hammer home the "War is hell, people are gonna die" part when every single individual rookie death is so mechanically devastating. It's easy enough to replace them with new rookies but the actual morale loss is enough to sink the whole campaign. Even just losing a couple soldiers in a mission would be enough to lead to a morale/stress spiral that they would be hard pressed to get out of, especially if they dipped low enough to lose out on campaign actions altogether.

Other than that though I absolutely loved the setting and the other mechanical bits and bobs. I would just definitely look for an alternative to how morale works for sure.

Yeah, as a player in said campaign, i definitely felt like it took a while to get into killing people at the rate we really needed to. I felt like the legion in general needed more resources to allocate, and opportunities to get odds and ends.

I think there's something to be said for adding some mechanic to give a random thing going into each stop on the journey, or an opportunity to get random things without spending campaign actions.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
How complex can flashbacks get? Is it always supposed to be a single roll, or can you do an entire mini-heist to establish how you prepared for the current one?

In connection, is it possible to nest flashbacks? Like, if a flashback goes wrong, can you flashback to an even earlier time to establish how that was you plan all along?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Let your players run wild with flashbacks IMO. They are one of the best features of this system and with the right players they can become some of the best moments at the table.

In our experience, flashbacks usually don't need rolls because they usually don't involve things that have much risk. As an example, I was a player in my group for a couple of weeks, and I used a flashback to tell a mini story about acquiring a deadly poison. I had just served a bunch of bad guys from a sealed bottle of brandy and the flashback was to establish that the Brandy was poisoned.

As a rule of thumb, we use flashbacks to let players create the past in a way that can affect the present. It lets things get cinematic. If your players want to engage in flashbacks that involve things like rolls, then it's not really a flashback IMO but there definitely isn't a rule against that and if everyone enjoys it, then I say go for it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In our experience, flashbacks usually don't need rolls because they usually don't involve things that have much risk. As an example, I was a player in my group for a couple of weeks, and I used a flashback to tell a mini story about acquiring a deadly poison. I had just served a bunch of bad guys from a sealed bottle of brandy and the flashback was to establish that the Brandy was poisoned.

The rules definitely imply that rolling for flashbacks is the usual outcome:

https://bladesinthedark.com/planning-engagement posted:

Flashbacks
The rules don’t distinguish between actions performed in the present moment and those performed in the past. When an operation is underway, you can invoke a flashback to roll for an action in the past that impacts your current situation. Maybe you convinced the district Watch sergeant to cancel the patrol tonight, so you make a Sway roll to see how that went.

The GM sets a stress cost when you activate a flashback action.

0 Stress: An ordinary action for which you had easy opportunity. Consorting with a friend to agree to arrive at the dice game ahead of time, to suddenly spring out as a surprise ally.
1 Stress: A complex action or unlikely opportunity. Finessing your pistols into a hiding spot near the card table so you could retrieve them after the pat-down at the front door.
2 (or more) Stress: An elaborate action that involved special opportunities or contingencies. Having already Studied the history of the property and learned of a ghost that is known to haunt its ancient canal dock—a ghost that can be compelled to reveal the location of the hidden vault.

After the stress cost is paid, a flashback action is handled just like any other action. Sometimes it will entail an action roll, because there’s some danger or trouble involved. Sometimes a flashback will entail a fortune roll, because we just need to find out how well (or how much, or how long, etc.). Sometimes a flashback won’t call for a roll at all because you can just pay the stress and it’s accomplished.

What I'm curious about is if people always handle flashbacks in a single action - with or without rolling - or if they sometime involve elaborate mini-adventures?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SimonChris posted:

How complex can flashbacks get? Is it always supposed to be a single roll, or can you do an entire mini-heist to establish how you prepared for the current one?

They're flashbacks, they're happening as a break in the actual action to set something up for immediate resolution as soon as the flashback is over. If they start involving more than a roll or taking more than a couple of real-time minutes to resolve, they should have been a regular score instead.

This is both RAW and also best practice if you want the game to flow at all when flashbacks are used.

That said, anything is fair game as long as it fits within those limits - if you can work your way through your entire mini-heist in that single roll and a few minutes of talking about what happened, that's totally a valid flashback. So would a flashback that involves weeks of building up a contact or whatever.

SimonChris posted:

In connection, is it possible to nest flashbacks? Like, if a flashback goes wrong, can you flashback to an even earlier time to establish how that was you plan all along?

Is it possible? Sure, why not.

Do you want to do this? No, for the reasons outlined above.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 8, 2023

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

SimonChris posted:

What I'm curious about is if people always handle flashbacks in a single action - with or without rolling - or if they sometime involve elaborate mini-adventures?

For pacing's sake, flashbacks are best boiled down to a single discrete "focal point" where we see how well the scoundrel actually pulled it off, even if that moment would have required a bunch of off-screen support. Remember also that a single roll, whether action or fortune, can already encompass a lot of time/activity: e.g. if your flashback involves "recruit a gang of toughs to show up and back me up," you don't need to play out a bunch of scenes of seeking out willing gang bosses and haggling with them individually, just roll Consort and maybe drop some Coin. If you really feel like a flashback needs more than one action to resolve, it probably has a high stress cost due to complexity.

SimonChris posted:

This is definitely going to start hitting those "unlikely or complicated action" qualifiers and will almost certainly warrant increasing stress costs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SimonChris posted:

IME the majority of flashbacks are the zero stress type which almost never involve a roll.

Also, rolls and subsequent consequences really kill the flow of the game and can complicate the current scene if the GM isn't quick on their feet.

I'm not against rolls in flashbacks at all, but players generally don't want to face them.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just kind of like the idea of running a fractal heist where individual actions expand into earlier heists. I realize that's not the normal way of doing things, and the sub-heists would need to be very short, but it could be cool setup for a particularly epic score.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Consequences for partial/failed rolls in flashbacks just happen outside of the flashback, in the current score, not inside the flashback.

In general, I treat rolling as a flashback cost. If a flashback already costs 2 or more stress, I'm less likely to ask for a roll, because the stress already paid for it. Instead, I'm more generous about what a 0-stress flashback can accomplish, but I generally ask for a roll.

SimonChris posted:

I just kind of like the idea of running a fractal heist where individual actions expand into earlier heists. I realize that's not the normal way of doing things, and the sub-heists would need to be very short, but it could be cool setup for a particularly epic score.

Yes, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing this, and it would be fun if everyone's on board, especially in a oneshot or a big climactic heist. In normal play, flashbacks don't work that way because otherwise the game would grind to a complete halt every time someone tries to flashback, which goes against the intent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Consequences for partial/failed rolls in flashbacks just happen outside of the flashback, in the current score, not inside the flashback.

Yeah, that's what I see people struggle with tying the two together. If it's something simple like a failed bribe -> guards on high alert it's not much of an issue, but it's rarely that straightforward for folks.

quote:

Instead, I'm more generous about what a 0-stress flashback can accomplish, but I generally ask for a roll.

That seems opposite of what's intended by the scale quoted above. More complicated flashbacks cost more stress because they can achieve more. The complication naturally leads to more rolls to pull it off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

That seems opposite of what's intended by the scale quoted above. More complicated flashbacks cost more stress because they can achieve more. The complication naturally leads to more rolls to pull it off.

No, the stress cost has absolutely nothing to do with requiring more rolls; a 6 stress flashback should still take only one roll to resolve.

What the stress cost measures is how much suspension of disbelief is required for everyone to accept that the stuff being depicted in the flashback happened ahead of time while no one was looking.

It's there to prevent players from doing constant asspulls. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 8, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree with that last part. Generally we think of 0 cost as not even requiring an actual flashback scene, it's just a note of "hey I did a very small thing a few days ago". Mostly obvious stuff that won't be a big change in the current scene. 1 stress requires a bit more detail and maybe a roll depending on the goal. 2 is a full setup that definitely will cause a roll.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
It's also worth remembering that flashbacks are probably going to have a different level of risk/effect than they would if you were doing them mid-heist, just because you're doing it at an earlier point when you're more prepared to be doing things. So, that flashback has much better odds of being controlled than anything you'd do normally, so you can probably just give them a slightly tricky choice and it will fit. You flashback to bribing a guard to let you onto the roof and roll a failure, but since you're bribing them on your terms it was controlled so the results can just be "your man on the inside held up his end of the bargain and left the roof access unlocked; however, now that you're up here, you see that the shutters on the window you were going to rappel to are closed. Are you going to rappel down anyways and try to open the shutters with your rear end hanging out in the wind, or are you going to improvise?". You can just give them a minor complication to work around on their flashback and call it a day.

This won't help with riskier flashbacks, but those are also meaty enough that you'd hopefully have an easier time thinking of something bad to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think the tricky part is getting players to engage with complicated flashbacks that can cause current complications, because at that point why not just face the current situation as is? As players learn the system and get more bold with the power these systems give them they get way more creative, but getting them there is tricky and often requires being led towards it or seeing another player do it first.