Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s what genius looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

PoundSand posted:

Legit psycho poo poo, feels so abnormally off the wall that someone recording this happening and uploading it to social media could go viral. Managers do a lot of incredibly dumb power trippy poo poo but this is diagnostically insane.

I really do think he could catch a few diagnoses. And it’s been getting increasingly worse over the last year or so. Which I think is directly responsible for why our numbers have gotten worse, but good god ask him to micromanage less and he’ll go apeshit. Last time he ended up basically yelling that he is the best there has ever been at his job and threatened three time a day meetings at 10am, 6pm and 2am to go over every shift’s numbers. I will be surprised if those meetings don’t start in the next month. I hope I don’t see it.

Also his brother is his boss’s boss so he’s not going anywhere. Like, he got where he did on “merit,” not that connection because his brother wasn’t there when he got hired, but now I don’t see any way he leaves. Except maybe after everyone good quits and he wants to go find the next plant to ruin.

Bondematt posted:

Is this a crime? This should be a crime.

Part of me wants to send it to some higher up people but I know it will just make my life much worse. I’m undecided on whether to do an exit interview and just unload on the poor HR person or not.

Also it’s not just emails. If anyone has forgotten to reply “understood” (it MUST be “understood,” no variation like “ok” or “got it” is acceptable) to any of his WhatsApp screeds that’s his chance to go through the list with everyone on the call and make you go do it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Yeah, while that's legitimately infuriating, I'd be more inclined to speculate about his mental health at that point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does he care what the replies are or just that the reply flag is there? Does he even care if they're replies to him?

Please reply to them all changing the recipient to yourself - auto filtering those into a junk folder or something to hide them away - and see if he notices. Science needs answers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Our intranet homepage - that you cannot avoid when opening a new browser window or a new tab because changing it is locked down - currently has a big banner reminding everyone that the 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day.

So I guess that's how things are going...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BiggerBoat posted:

They absolutely are, in addition to many of them but even being real jobs but poo poo more akin to MLM's. I got scores of replies from companies telling me I'd make a great salesperson and "team leader", even though my resume is nothing but illustration, graphic design and printing work.

That's because if you have any skill at anything whatsoever, you an easily learn what it takes to sell things to people, most sales jobs are easy and most salespeople are absolutely terrible at it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I feel like it takes a special kind of sociopath to be good at sales, like it's definitely not something just anyone can be good at.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Biplane posted:

I feel like it takes a special kind of sociopath to be good at sales, like it's definitely not something just anyone can be good at.

That's just what sociopaths who work in sales want you to think

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Scientastic posted:

That's because if you have any skill at anything whatsoever, you an easily learn what it takes to sell things to people, most sales jobs are easy and most salespeople are absolutely terrible at it

sales owns, you just promise impossible solutions to impossibly stupid applications and when it falls through its the engineers fault while you're busy carrying your bags of money to the bank

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

blatman posted:

sales owns, you just promise impossible solutions to impossibly stupid applications and when it falls through its the engineers fault while you're busy carrying your bags of money to the bank

So what you're saying is that I can make disturbing amounts of money as long as I have no regard for human life or the well-being of others?

Hmmmm.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Biplane posted:

I did call center sales (probably doesn't count but meh) right after high school for a pretty reputable US food company. It was a mix of people who were there to sort of "skate by" with the minimum, or the ridiculous, overblown, way-too-energetic coke addict personalities that tried shoveling anything they could at customers. My breaking point was having my bitchy manager shadow a call while sitting next to me, I called this sweet old lady & she couldn't afford our food any more because her husband passed & she was on a fixed income now. I apologized, gave my condolences & ended the call - my manager then had the loving gall to ask incredulously "why didn't you try selling her something cheaper???"

Walked the next day without giving notice because gently caress taking advantage of people like that. Just felt super scummy & ghoulish.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I did call center sales (probably doesn't count but meh) right after high school for a pretty reputable US food company. It was a mix of people who were there to sort of "skate by" with the minimum, or the ridiculous, overblown, way-too-energetic coke addict personalities that tried shoveling anything they could at customers. My breaking point was having my bitchy manager shadow a call while sitting next to me, I called this sweet old lady & she couldn't afford our food any more because her husband passed & she was on a fixed income now. I apologized, gave my condolences & ended the call - my manager then had the loving gall to ask incredulously "why didn't you try selling her something cheaper???"

Walked the next day without giving notice because gently caress taking advantage of people like that. Just felt super scummy & ghoulish.

Almost literally my experience with call center sales lol, except we were hocking iPhones to seniors, not food.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ravus Ursus posted:

So what you're saying is that I can make disturbing amounts of money as long as I have no regard for human life or the well-being of others?

Hmmmm.

i regret to inform you that that's always been the case

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In fact, that is precisely how you make disturbing amounts of money.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

Hmmmm.

If you want to maximize your amoral profits, become a sales engineer. All the lies and over promising of generic sales, but with the added bonus of using word vomit technobabble that convinces managers and raises every red flag possible for the people who will be tasked with actually using the piece of poo poo software you're foisting on them.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Can I instead make a living wage with my morals uncompromised doing work that keeps me away from people?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ravus Ursus posted:

Can I instead make a living wage with my morals uncompromised doing work that keeps me away from people?

If you figure this out please let me know

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ravus Ursus posted:

The forest service doesn't hire often.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

01. Money
02. Morals
03. Sanity

Pick two.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Two is a luxury.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ethics cost more than rent and rent is too dang high

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I'm being legit stalked by a B2B sales psycho right now and I keep trying to tell him I don't have any say in budget and he keeps trying to force me to arrange meetings with the people who do, and he won't take no for an answer. He's offered me like $5k in free poo poo (training, meals out, travel) as well, but no such thing as a free lunch etc.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cynic posted:

I'm being legit stalked by a B2B sales psycho right now and I keep trying to tell him I don't have any say in budget and he keeps trying to force me to arrange meetings with the people who do, and he won't take no for an answer. He's offered me like $5k in free poo poo (training, meals out, travel) as well, but no such thing as a free lunch etc.

Tell him you've set up a meeting, give him details, then hang up.

He will eventually get the point when he keeps trying to go to meetings with no one present. "Sorry, I asked but I guess they were busy"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tell him the other company got you a rolex and some quality blow.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tell him to give you $5k straight up, then never talk to him again.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

goatface posted:

Tell him the other company got you a rolex and some quality blow.

My wife used to work in corporate sales and pretty sure the quality blow is not a problem. Only problem is I like my job, and actually have good management right up to c-suite here so this guy turns from a potential free meal into 100% irritation who is just trying to sound out how much it will cost to make me torpedo my career to advance his.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would simply say "SOX" and end any medium of conversation any time I was contacted.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Biplane posted:

If you figure this out please let me know

Same

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

The forest service doesn't hire often.

They had a huge hiring frenzy at I think the start of this year, or maybe last year. Except they would not accept anyone with less than a Master's in Forestry :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Forklift driver and crane operator are in high demand. The mobile container cranes at the port are my favorite.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

cynic posted:

Welcome to the club. Police won't do anything about this. I get e and in-person stalked by textbook publishers and laboratory supply reps.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Agree to a meeting with them and then violently poo poo yourself while in the meeting, maintaining eye contact the entire time and pretending nothing is wrong.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Agree to a meeting with them and then violently poo poo yourself while in the meeting, maintaining eye contact the entire time and pretending nothing is wrong.

What if they’ve already beaten OP to the punch?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Then you buy whatever they’re selling, because they have already won.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Agree to meet up with him and then beat him to death. Plea temporary insanity and cite your posts. You should be able to plea your way from Murder 2 to Manslaughter, and thats only 2-5 years for first time offenses, so you should be golden.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Agree to meet, but only at neutral sites like restaurants and never show. Keep doing this to let him get more and more unhinged, then finally agree to a meeting at your office, but never tell the people she's supposed to be meeting or security.

It'll solve itself.

Or just start responding to his emails with lorem ipsum and communicate on his phone calls exclusively with kazoo.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Or stop gate keeping and put the sales rep in touch with the real decision maker so it’s their problem to deal with because they actually have a say in the buying process. People with no say in the purchasing process slowing down the sales cycle is hilarious but counter productive. Once the sales rep realizes there’s no opportunity they will move on. Stop slowing that down.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Or stop gate keeping and put the sales rep in touch with the real decision maker so it’s their problem to deal with because they actually have a say in the buying process. People with no say in the purchasing process slowing down the sales cycle is hilarious but counter productive. Once the sales rep realizes there’s no opportunity they will move on. Stop slowing that down.

sales rep spotted

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

No, the sales people will provide tribute if they want access. This dragon horde isn't going to accumulate itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Only do this if you hate the person with actual purchasing power that you fob them off to.