Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

How can Ukraine hope to win now that Russia has invincible planes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

They're plastering all their planes with tires. gently caress me, how stupid can someone be

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Someone in Russia is really confused about what makes the Goodyear blimp airborne.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My favourite dark Russian (well, dark Soviet) joke is genuinely the fact that when the Soviets got M3 Lee tanks from the US as military aid, they very quickly gave the slow and relatively poorly armoured tank a brutal nickname: "A coffin for seven brothers".

Just gonna point out that the nickname is almost definitely a postwar apocryphal nickname because there isn't any sourcing from the war calling the M3 Lee that. The M3 was a buttass ugly tank but everybody used it because it was what the Americans had available and could manufacture it in quick time.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

zone posted:

They're plastering all their planes with tires. gently caress me, how stupid can someone be

Good thing there isn't a big hole in the middle of them, else they'd be pretty useless!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Just gonna point out that the nickname is almost definitely a postwar apocryphal nickname because there isn't any sourcing from the war calling the M3 Lee that. The M3 was a buttass ugly tank but everybody used it because it was what the Americans had available and could manufacture it in quick time.

The T-14 is known as 7 Bribes for 7 Brothers

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

Weirdly I think the British really liked the m3 lee in the north african campaigns since its front armour was actually really good and had a very powerful gun for the time. The fact it was hull mounted also made it much more stable and accurate, and in the desert environments it's downsides of being tall ans unable to go hull down werent quite so acute. Still much worse than the sherman when that arrived.

Right place, right time. The British knew that the M3 Lee/Grant was a stop-gap solution while the US continued development of the M4 Sherman, but it was also good enough for what needed to be done in North Africa. The turret-mounted 37mm was a holdover and pretty laughable in most respects, but suitable for soft targets. The awkwardly-mounted 75mm gun (also called M3... Jesus god almighty) however was a big bad bastard and had an excellent HE round for blowing up infantry positions. The frontal armour was more than adequate protection against the relative 47mm and 50mm pea-shooters mounted on many Axis tanks.

Then the Sherman turned up and the Lee/Grant was hurriedly replaced and hosed off into the East, followed by obscurity, eventually finding itself relegated to "that poo poo thing nobody wants to play" in video games.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

:ussr: says it all really. :shrug:

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Do they think a drone just bounces off when hit?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mmm. olives.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It would be extremely funny if the Ukrainians switched to napalm and burned the planes down, imo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I love the two tires they hanged from the wingtips like a bagel or something.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

War Thunder should release this as a comedy skin.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

bratwurst massage posted:

Do they think a drone just bounces off when hit?

The drones have trypophobia and will be scared away.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

they could have been handed over to Ukraine intact :smith:

Yeah that's a thought. At least they wouldn't have been blowedup then probably.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

Yeah that's a thought. At least they wouldn't have been blowedup then probably.

I'm pretty sure many of them were in fact, handed over to Ukraine intact.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
All of these plane jokes are tired

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Flyinglemur posted:

All of these jokes are plane tired

They wouldn't fly in a more serious thread, that's for sure.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Digging up this one because there's some additional things that can be said about it.

Russia has neither a very healthy or a very young population. IIRC a thing that has been an issue or phenomenon in Russia, going back to the Soviet era, is that while abortions were legal and readily available, they also tended to be the primary means of birth control, with other measures, such such as condoms not being used that much. Probably part of that was very lackluster sex ed for the Soviet (and I presume also modern day Russian) population, and thus also lack of availability of and information about other forms of birth control. Which meant that while a woman could get an abortion pretty easily, STDs were not effectively controlled and in fact were and are noted as widespread and a real social and medical issue.
Then there is the fact that having a lot of abortions, really isn't all that healthy as I understand it, it's not that big of a deal when you have condoms and other means of birth control to rely on before you get to the necessity of having an abortion, but when that's all you get, yeah, it's actually not that great.

soviet birth control was famously ineffective throughout the warsaw pact during the cold war. it wasn't just bad sex ed, it's just that it didn't work for various quality control reasons.

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

I remember someone said they put tires on planes because the drones had pre-programmed imaging of them(or something along those lines) in which they target and destroy when found. The tires were meant to distort that or something?

Why tires though? Why not just cover them with tarps? I'm sure there's heat reflective coverings, so the heat signature of the planes after sunset wouldn't show up? I'm just confused. Someone enlighten me.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

spankmeister posted:

It would be extremely funny if the Ukrainians switched to napalm and burned the planes down, imo

You'll note there haven't been any attacks on airbases recently. Maybe they're retooling some of their cardboard drones to become napalm bombs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Earth Wind And Tires

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1700069382968262711?s=20
Is Ukraine getting close to the former Donetsk airport a sign that Puccia is winning? asking for a friend

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1700069382968262711?s=20
Is Ukraine getting close to the former Donetsk airport a sign that Puccia is winning? asking for a friend

No, but Chinese war tourism is.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Once Russia learns to construct hangars out of tires, they will be unstoppable

zone
Dec 6, 2016

bad boys for life posted:

Once Russia learns to construct hangars out of tires, they will be unstoppable

Assuming they even have enough of those to spare. Murz was complaining a great deal about a lack of tires and those that were there not being in good condition.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

DiomedesGodshill posted:

War Thunder should release this as a comedy skin.

I can't wait for a Russian airman to rush to the forums complaining they got the size and make of the tires wrong, with photo proof complete with geolocated exif data intact.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

I can't wait for a Russian airman to rush to the forums complaining they got the size and make of the tires wrong, with photo proof complete with geolocated exif data intact.

The sad part is that this will almost certainly happen complete with a document of the tyre specifications

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Flyinglemur posted:

All of these plane jokes are tired

They should be retired.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Why don't they just make the plane out of tires? mantappinghisforehead.jpg

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Flyinglemur posted:

Why don't they just make the plane out of tires? mantappinghisforehead.jpg
Smekalka doesn't extend that far, that's too much like honest work

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Why not bury the planes? Sink them in lakes? Take them apart and hide the pieces under people's beds?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Icochet posted:

Why not bury the planes? Sink them in lakes? Take them apart and hide the pieces under people's beds?

That's how we get Transformers

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Cuba arrests 17 for trafficking young men to fight for Russia in Ukraine

Cuba = Western puppet?!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cuba loving hates when weird foreign dickheads show up. one of the unsaid parts of the airplane hijacking craze was that when those guys went to cuba, they would often end up under arrest or in prison or lovely prison hotels because cuba got sick of the heat when a random passenger plane would land in their airport.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023

zone posted:

Presented without comment.

drat she must have one hell of a voice.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

How is the Russian push to the north doing? Any article I see about Ukraine advancement has Russians in the comment section saying how they are winning up north but I haven't heard much there at all.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao, Rybar was posting yesterday about a Russian advance at Mar'inka. While techincally true, Rybar forgot to add that the attackers were loving hosed. Keep posting through it Rybar! Stay classy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

How is the Russian push to the north doing? Any article I see about Ukraine advancement has Russians in the comment section saying how they are winning up north but I haven't heard much there at all.

Today's Report from Ukraine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJD2D6suNE) talks about it. Ukraine has retaken most of the ground Russia took earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

pro starcraft loser posted:

Has anyone got a link to Rybar’s video about how to attack the Abrams? I’ve seen his videos about the Challenger 2 and Leopard 2 and they’re pretty loving funny.