Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a handy chart of all the movie kaiju that have attacked the US, pre-Monsterverse

None in Louisiana? Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh man, this new flick looks seriously awesome.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Here's a handy chart of all the movie kaiju that have attacked the US, pre-Monsterverse

is the giant claw antimatter buzzard the biggest monster in a kaiju movie?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Godzilla is massively pissed off at humanity

Who isn't?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DeimosRising posted:

The only one I can find that might rival the fearsome Antimatter Space Buzzard is Cthulu from Underwater. Not strictly a kaiju movie though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

It had a wingspan of 600 feet, it's huge. That's bigger than any of the classic King Ghidorahs.
(Monsterverse KG has a wingspan of 800 feet)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

david_a posted:

The only one I can find that might rival the fearsome Antimatter Space Buzzard is Cthulu from Underwater. Not strictly a kaiju movie though

The adult version of the Cloverfield monster from The Cloverfield Paradox is probably thousands of feet tall, but that's not really a kaiju movie either.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It had a wingspan of 600 feet, it's huge. That's bigger than any of the classic King Ghidorahs.
(Monsterverse KG has a wingspan of 800 feet)

Iirc in the movie they just say it’s as big as a battleship but it’s big enough to easily fit a jet fighter in its mouth and they’re usually ~50 feet long, and it absolutely dwarfs the Empire State Building. It’s a big girl

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on Apple+ debuts in November. So we get the Gamera animated show this week on Netflix, Godzilla Minus One in December and Godzilla + Kong in April. Nice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfhhmzlPfaU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've watched the first 2 episodes of Gamera now and although the people animation suffers the same way as the Godzilla Earth ones do, the Kaiju action is top notch. I'm digging the story as well- unlike the aforementioned Godzilla animated trilogy, this series is not afraid to actually come through with the goods (gently caress mecha Godzilla being a city).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Godzilla The Movie The TV Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec27RCzb6qI

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Doesn't look bad. It's cool that they brought back John Goodman. I've never been interested in the lore of Monarch but I'll watch anything with Godzilla in it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
That trailer already has more Godzilla than I had been expecting when the show was announced. (It's probably at least 97% of the Godzilla in the show.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mantis42 posted:

Doesn't look bad. It's cool that they brought back John Goodman. I've never been interested in the lore of Monarch but I'll watch anything with Godzilla in it.

I'd be interested in the lore of Monarch if it was the organization we see in 2014 and Skull Island. I'm less interested in the version from KotM and on.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Even then there's no mystery to it past the first act of Godzilla 2014. What are they hiding? Oh kaiju, and now everyone in the world knows. What's the point of them again?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's really got me excited is the little details that indicate the show is going to be about a world where Godzilla is an accepted fact. How do governments and society adapt to what is essentially this new kind of natural disaster

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw what reminded me of Kumonga so I'm hopeful for more giant enemy spider action.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arc Hammer posted:

I saw what reminded me of Kumonga so I'm hopeful for more giant enemy spider action.

I think that shot, and any of the shots of John Goodman, are just footage from Skull Island. I think.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

I think that shot, and any of the shots of John Goodman, are just footage from Skull Island. I think.

If you're talking about the crab thing at 54 seconds, that's definitely not one of the spiders from Skull Island. It's been awhile since I saw Skull Island but I don't remember Goodman speaking to camera like that. And if he did I doubt he awkwardly really emphasized the word "legacy" like that, that's something you do for the trailer for a TV show with legacy in the title.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
I figured the crab thing was Scylla?

Edit: Rewatching the trailer, I'm definitely wrong about this.

Pyswagoras fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 9, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s definitely a scene where he ran off at some point and made that before he got gobbled up by a skullcrawler

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pyswagoras posted:

I figured the crab thing was Scylla?

Yeah I read it as an obvious sop to the 8legged monster they teased in trailers and such but didn’t use. It’s fan service and fans don’t even know it!

Edit: nvm I’m misremembering I think. What was that monster carcass they used in a trailer and cut from the movie?

fr0id fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 9, 2023

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

fr0id posted:

Yeah I read it as an obvious sop to the 8legged monster they teased in trailers and such but didn’t use. It’s fan service and fans don’t even know it!

Edit: nvm I’m misremembering I think. What was that monster carcass they used in a trailer and cut from the movie?

I think that one got labeled Vishnu.

https://unpublished-villains.fandom.com/wiki/Vishnu

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

Occupation
Multi legged Kaiju

Hobby
No information

Crimes
Mass destruction
Attempted murder

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
does godzilla understand he isnt meant to go near the godzilla evacuation route?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have they said when the Kurt Russell scenes are meant to take place? Since they've focused a lot on San Francisco I'm curious if they're going to set it between G14 and King of the Monsters, but it could just as easily be set after GVK if Godzilla is more active.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Gripweed posted:

What's really got me excited is the little details that indicate the show is going to be about a world where Godzilla is an accepted fact. How do governments and society adapt to what is essentially this new kind of natural disaster

Right? Little details like the Godzilla Evacuation Route are grounded in realism. More moments like that please. I doubt this is going as far as the bananas advanced tech suddenly introduced in KOTM/GvK.

As fun as the Monsterverse is, the bleak and brutalness of Minus One is the tone I want to see right now, and it probably has more to say than the Monarch show.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Have they said when the Kurt Russell scenes are meant to take place? Since they've focused a lot on San Francisco I'm curious if they're going to set it between G14 and King of the Monsters, but it could just as easily be set after GVK if Godzilla is more active.

Shneak posted:

Right? Little details like the Godzilla Evacuation Route are grounded in realism. More moments like that please. I doubt this is going as far as the bananas advanced tech suddenly introduced in KOTM/GvK.

As fun as the Monsterverse is, the bleak and brutalness of Minus One is the tone I want to see right now, and it probably has more to say than the Monarch show.

Everything I've read/heard is that the modern portion is set immediately after 2014 and well before King of Monsters. Therefore, the tone is, and again, take it for what this is worth, supposed to be more grounded for it. Obviously that could change depending on how long the show runs and how close the timeline gets to KoM.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Godzilla Evacuation Route at what looks like an airport just reminds me of the gag on the Simpsons where they're trying to fly out of Japan and get hassled by kaiju

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
I feel like using an airport to evacuate an entire city isn't the most efficient evacuation plan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I feel like using an airport to evacuate an entire city isn't the most efficient evacuation plan

Yeah I'd assume it's not an airport but like a subway or a train station, something where they can reroute trains or subways to get the maximum amount of people away from the area as quickly as possible. Down near the Gulf you'll see Hurricane Evacuation Route signs which point towards major arteries which point away from the coast and will also have inbound lanes switched to outbound when necessary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved pacific rim’s bunkers and Charlie realizing it’s
bullshit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I loved pacific rim’s bunkers and Charlie realizing it’s
bullshit

It does feel authentic that what the governments build is just kind of a sop to public concern (except the Jaegers) and their real defense is "I hope it doesn't get this far inland."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
For those who missed it, looks like we're having another Millennium series revival screening this November: Godzilla 2000.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/godzilla-2000-2023-event-74696

Kinda hoping for the dub on this one since I think it's got better pacing and music/sound choices, but IIRC both of the Kiryu movies were shown subbed last year.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

For those who missed it, looks like we're having another Millennium series revival screening this November: Godzilla 2000.

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/godzilla-2000-2023-event-74696

Kinda hoping for the dub on this one since I think it's got better pacing and music/sound choices, but IIRC both of the Kiryu movies were shown subbed last year.

The dub for this pierces right through my childhood nostalgia like CRAP through a goose!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1702165668244652177?t=T90Zlpx-XuKqhBLwdGDhFQ&s=19

Helpless people on a subway train
scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 14, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea okay but you're still more likely to get eaten by godzilla on the way to the train station than on the train

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mantis42 posted:

yea okay but you're still more likely to get eaten by godzilla on the way to the train station than on the train

Yeah but that's because they didn't follow the Godzilla evacuation path signage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Have we ever seen G actually eat a fool before? Nothing jumps to mind

If not then it wouldn't surprise me if this one will be the first