Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How do the "digital nomads" who work for Google or whatever live in like Bali then? Is it a "get a job and then move out of the country" thing?

Usually. You need to spend 183 days in a country to be a resident, sometimes people will be a resident in the US and work from another country on a tourist visa. This isn't legal but the risk is mitigated as the employee has a US address and residency and there would be an uphill climb to try to claw back taxes. I know a LOT of people just do that.

You can get a digital nomad visa, which depending on the country has different rules, but you typically need to prove you will make a certain income to get the Visa, so you need to get the job first, which means you need residency first. Also most of those visas require residency in the first place, not just a passport.

What you can't really do is just apply to US jobs while not a resident and be like "Cool, send my check to this country". A US company may have a presence in your country, but they will almost certainly have different job codes and roles. They *might* be willing to relocate you but that's kind of a pipe dream for a junior person. Obviously that situation is different if you are more in demand.

ultrafilter posted:

Different companies have different rules for who can work where. Google has historically been very permissive, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start being more restrictive now.

It's not just rules, you need to pay taxes in another country if the person is a resident. You don't have a presence or a tax-ID, they can't work for you without a special Visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've been getting a decent number of interviews with jobs of varying qualities. If I get one, how do I gracefully handle getting a contract offer from a mediocre job while still wanting to continue the interviews I have scheduled elsewhere? The other jobs are more interesting, pay better, and have better growth possibilities but if those don't pan out I do still need to pay rent with this mid job.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hazardousmouse posted:

I've been getting a decent number of interviews with jobs of varying qualities. If I get one, how do I gracefully handle getting a contract offer from a mediocre job while still wanting to continue the interviews I have scheduled elsewhere? The other jobs are more interesting, pay better, and have better growth possibilities but if those don't pan out I do still need to pay rent with this mid job.

At some point you have to make a decision, and while you have the option of backing out of an accepted job or leaving a job shortly after starting, I'd really only consider that for an exceptional opportunity as that does burn bridges and you will find your professional world gets really small really quickly as you move through it.

So if you land somewhere with a company you can say "I need X amount of time as I am considering/waiting for other offers". This honestly works for you, companies want to land a person who is in demand. But you have to actually set a timeframe. 1 week is fine, 2 weeks is pushing, more than that you actually just don't want that job.

Which is a another point: Don't counter for a job you don't want. It's ok to tell a company "I am removing myself from consideration" if you don't think you're going to get what you want, salary or otherwise. I think there's benefit to getting to the finish line with a company you discovered you don't want to work, but you don't have to actually negotiate with them after they give you an offer.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I suppose I was just afraid they'd pull an offer if I didn't immediately jump all over it. Thanks, I could stand to pause and take a breath in this process.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

It's not just rules, you need to pay taxes in another country if the person is a resident. You don't have a presence or a tax-ID, they can't work for you without a special Visa.
I think that's the trick of being a nomad. You never stay long enough to establish residency, and since the USA is weird and taxes citizens no matter where they are it kind of works out. Kind of.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that's the trick of being a nomad. You never stay long enough to establish residency, and since the USA is weird and taxes citizens no matter where they are it kind of works out. Kind of.

Your actually need to make a lot before the US claws some back, I think it's 120k now which is a lot in most countries.

The nomads either work on a tourist visa (illegal), or get a special visa that allows them to work without paying local taxes (or paying just a token amount). Those countries don't care if your paying taxes in the US, they still want both you and the company to pay local taxes too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah I think the other thing that makes it work is that you just bounce before the country you're in realises you're working and they don't catch you breaking the law.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Alrighty, hello folks! I'll cut to the chase.

I got a job at a medium-sized company out of bootcamp. I've been there for a year and a half now. I've gotten promoted and done really well there. I have no qualms with the job, I like the people I work with, I'm consistently challenged, I'm allowed to fail in order to learn and grow, I'm trusted among my peers and supervisors, etc.

At the same time, I haven't updated my resume since I got hired. It would be silly for me to not at least keep myself ready in case a great opportunity comes along, especially since I'm currently hybrid and want to work fully remote. I'd like to see if I can better my situation in terms of pay/benefits/flexibility without sacrificing general enjoyment of the work culture.

Quick questions for the thread:

1. My current job is extremely stable. I just got married and want to have a kid within a 2-year window. I know that if I want better pay / benefits / flexibility, I more or less need to enter a true tech company (which my current employer is not). But tech is so volatile as an industry. Is my impression incorrect, or should I plan to stick with my current job until tech hiring / potential for being laid off gets better? I feel like it might be a while before it gets better and I may as well go for an opportunity IF it seems right for me.

2. Is it customary to separate two different positions with the same company on my resume to "tell the story" of how I progressed there? Or is that a weird thing to do that only works on LinkedIn but shouldn't be anywhere near a resume? If not, how would I get across that I got promoted quickly?

3. Along the same lines, in my yearly review, after which I was promoted, I got the rare "extraordinary" performance tag. Is that something acceptable to bring up in a resume and/or in an interview? Or is that kind of information seen as confidential?

4. Soft skills are a huge part of why I have been successful in my current role, but it's very difficult to tie that to tangible metrics which businesses will care about. Is there a way to think about how to write about soft skills? I mean stuff like, I am the only engineer at my level who consistently goes outside of his own team and builds relationships at the chapter-wide level, which in turns allows me to be very self-sufficient in getting information I need myself from people who have it, instead of relying on my Product Owner to eventually reach out to the person. Also things like mentoring multiple newly-hired engineers and helping to fast-track their onboarding and development, etc.

5. I only have one job as a software engineer. Before that, it's been retail management. Would it be wise to just fill my resume with accomplishments at my current job and omit the retail because who cares about that now? Seems like it makes total sense to me but I've also never seen a resume ONLY list work experience from the past 2 years.

I have to dust off the old resume-writing and I'll probably have something to show the thread for brutal tearing apart next week.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 3, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1. I think avoiding tech companies would be a mistake. There was a spike in layoffs but it was pretty contained and the hiring landscape for good developers is still tilted heavily in the developers direction. I feel like you'd be giving up $100k plus over a few years because you don't want to be laid off, when another job can't make that promise anyway, and if you do you'll probably have a job before your severance runs out.

2. Especially for your first job, yes list the promotion. You don't need two sections but just have a line like
Luxury Dog Watches, Inc
Junior Dog Watch Maker June-May
Intermediate Dog Watch Maker May-present

3. It's not confidential, but it's tacky and I just would be skeptical. Show how you got that rating with your promotion and responsibilities instead.

4. Show that with your responsibilities. Make up a little role for yourself. "Designated primary inter-team liaison to work across business units". Work in some stories of how you have a +5 on charisma rolls during the interview. You can also list those in a skills section but don't flood it with soft skills.

5. Yeah, I like to see a small "other experience" section listing jobs without details. One benefit you have over a recent college grad is I won't have to teach you how to do the basic job poo poo. Take a little time to show you weren't just smoking pot and playing video games before the boot camp.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 3, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lockback posted:

5. Yeah, I like to see a small "other experience" section listing jobs without details. One benefit you have over a recent college grad is I won't have to teach you how to do the basic job poo poo. Take a little time to show you weren't just smoking pot and playing video games before the boot camp.

This is especially resonant with me and I appreciate this advice. It is fairly valuable for you to know that I've held management positions before. I'll do that, thanks.

The re-assurance around tech companies is also very nice to hear. I think you're right generally that I would be walking away from a significant bump in money and benefits and flexibility just for fear of being laid off, which is fairly unpredictable anyway and could happen to any company.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 3, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, actually. "Successfully managed a Dairy Queen" is a plus. Managing stupid hormonal teenagers who think they know everything is a good chunk of the easy to managing up to the VP level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Yeah, actually. "Successfully managed a Dairy Queen" is a plus. Managing stupid hormonal teenagers who think they know everything is a good chunk of the easy to managing up to the VP level.

VP level is totally different, there you're managing stupid hormonal adults who think they know everything. In both directions. It's a completely different game

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Another question. I know how important metrics are but am in a situation where my entire first year and a half has been working, with the rest of the entire large chapter of engineering teams, on a web replatform, ie. replacing our legacy code with a modernized code and releasing a brand spanking new UI. I've done other stuff as well for mobile here and there, but it's been 95% web replatform.

We are just releasing the entire new website into production next month. So I'm not going to have metrics on how my work will contribute to the company financially for a little while. How can I write about this?

I'm a bit at a loss as to the process for gathering relevant metrics in general. I've never had to do that for a resume. The company releases monthly reports with general metrics but those are really hard to accumulate/isolate into "my part", especially when things like user traffic or app rating has been more or less flat for a while.

The things I can think of off-hand with valuable metrics are that 1) I have fixed a LOT of defects and can gather a number for that, and 2) I was involved in implementing data caching for AWS lambdas used by our mobile app (and notably, mobile and web share customer data), which will hopefully soon have some good performance metrics.

What do you people do in terms of gathering metrics when you work for a pretty large company?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One option is to describe the importance of the application by its business relevance and its traffic stats. For that, the traffic volume of the old site will do. If the rewrite is more efficient, quantify how much faster it responds, or its peak capacity (load test for this), or money saved by a smaller infrastructure footprint. Even if it's not specifically your achievement, you probably played some role. The ability to explain the approach taken will do just as well in most interviews.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

spiritual bypass posted:

One option is to describe the importance of the application by its business relevance and its traffic stats. For that, the traffic volume of the old site will do. If the rewrite is more efficient, quantify how much faster it responds, or its peak capacity (load test for this), or money saved by a smaller infrastructure footprint. Even if it's not specifically your achievement, you probably played some role. The ability to explain the approach taken will do just as well in most interviews.

Those are numbers I'm not really going to have for a little bit, maybe a month or two, but I'll be sure to include them when that time comes. We are in the final stages of performance testing now. It's difficult to figure out what I can put in a resume if I start writing it now in terms of having hard metrics.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I wouldn't expect a lot of hard metrics from somebody with only 18 months experience.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't expect a lot of hard metrics from somebody with only 18 months experience.

That's fair, and because I'm not a tech lead or anything there are things which are out of my purview. I just want to get as many tangible things which stand out as possible. Lockback I feel like you're taking what my brain thinks about what I should do and slapping it around, in the best way. I do appreciate your help (and anyone else in here).

Basically, I got this first job because my bootcamp instructor loved me, I was far and away the best student in his course. He's high up at the company so he made it very easy for me. No live coding. I was coming in at the entry level and he knew I'd do well.

If I'm being honest with myself, the "my job is really stable and that's why I am hesitant to leave" isn't really the case. I think I just am really dreading/fearing the brutal tech interviewing process and putting myself through that. I was so happy to have gotten this job without needing to do any of it. But I find myself needing to get out of my comfort zone because I know I can get better opportunities.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

fawning deference posted:

2) I was involved in implementing data caching for AWS lambdas used by our mobile app (and notably, mobile and web share customer data), which will hopefully soon have some good performance metrics.
How many variables was previous data gathering capturing? How many are you capturing now? What's the percentage increase there? These days data is basically money so you're indirectly saying "I built an asset worth eleventy bajillion for the company".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So here's the thing: you're still junior. You sound like you have skills and whatnot, and can probably land an intermediate job, but your not going to be able to look not like a junior and honestly you shouldn't. I think it's probably smart to look around and see what's out there, but also you may find it better to put in another 6-12 months to get in a better place in regards to what you want to do. No reason not to do both, look around while also positioning yourself at the current place to get the right kinds of experience.

Also, my company rarely does live code reviews. We're not the only one. Not every place is FAANG code gauntlets.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lockback posted:

So here's the thing: you're still junior. You sound like you have skills and whatnot, and can probably land an intermediate job, but your not going to be able to look not like a junior and honestly you shouldn't. I think it's probably smart to look around and see what's out there, but also you may find it better to put in another 6-12 months to get in a better place in regards to what you want to do. No reason not to do both, look around while also positioning yourself at the current place to get the right kinds of experience.

This is actually what I plan on doing. I'm "soft" looking right now. I probably will put in another 6-12 months, but I want to be ready to submit a resume and go on an interview if I see a really great opportunity or a friend of mine wants to refer me to their company, etc. I'd like to get prepared now.

Out of curiosity, when do you see an engineer as not junior anymore in terms of what you see on a resume? 3 years? SE 2 level? Either/both?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Usually somewhere in the 3-4 year mark, but it depends. Some people take longer and that's ok.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plus things are wildly variable depending on what a company is actually looking for. In terms of my technical skills I'm a pretty lazy security nerd and you could probably get to be better than me with a good six months of solid effort. On the other hand, I have an awful lot of experience in not pissing off other business units and understanding what it is they're actually trying to achieve. Seniority is going to depend in what direction your career grows and what your company actually needs from your role.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Haven't been getting tons of traction lately, and while I know that's end of quarter / end of summer weirdness, it is making me wonder if my resume could be better. What I am wondering is how I have my skills section laid out. I don't wish to post my actual resume, so instead I am just going to ask generally: how do you thread denizens typically like to see a set of skills laid out? Do you include the years of experience etc? The field is software development, if that matters.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Haven't been getting tons of traction lately, and while I know that's end of quarter / end of summer weirdness, it is making me wonder if my resume could be better. What I am wondering is how I have my skills section laid out. I don't wish to post my actual resume, so instead I am just going to ask generally: how do you thread denizens typically like to see a set of skills laid out? Do you include the years of experience etc? The field is software development, if that matters.

The context of things matter and it’s kinda low use/high effort for us to guess. There’s lots of software resumes with skills sections ITT you can find through search to answer that question.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, you can post just the skills section too.

Generally, I don't list years but I kinda like a "I know these things really well" and "I have some experience in this" from developers. But like CFP said context matters so I have no idea if yours is any good or not.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Whatever you do, don't make progress bar graphics for how good you are at something.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

Yeah, you can post just the skills section too.

Generally, I don't list years but I kinda like a "I know these things really well" and "I have some experience in this" from developers. But like CFP said context matters so I have no idea if yours is any good or not.

The resume is from this template, shared by user Wash Bucket a while back: https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/jakes-resume/syzfjbzwjncs

So I have them formatted like this:

Category A:: Skill 1, Skill 2, Skill 3, In order of confidence and experience level
Category B, next one down: Skill 4, Skill 5, Skill 6
Category C: Skill 7, Skill 8, Skill 9
Category D: Skill 10, Skill 11, Skill 12

Repeat that for 8 categories and 34 total skills. Virtually all of them are things someone has asked for, and aren't just things like Microsoft word. Looking at it again it seems like that's far too many and includes poo poo I hate like Javascript. (Though the example of Jake's Resume does have over 20.) So I should cut it down. Looks like people say it should be 15. (Much of this section was created following the advice of someone whose qualifications I am beginning to doubt . Previously I had 9-15 across three columns.)

It takes up the first quarter right below my contact info on top. I have it ordered as Title, Skills, Experience, Education. I have no projects worth sharing.

I keep trying to google this topic to find examples out in the wild, but so many of the ones have these weird stylish columns in them which I want to avoid. Also, even the good examples I find online (such as ones here https://resumeworded.com/software-engineer-resume-examples) have an introductory segment like "Software Engineer with X years experience in full stack development. Assisted team in adding stairs to Jeffy's house" etc etc. Is that the type of thing modern resumes have on them? I just don't get how that's different from an "objective" statement which OP says to avoid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can take a template and just change what you don't like. There's no 1 resume template that will get you jobs. It's about telling a story, which is why we always say "Post it" so we can try to understand the story you're trying to tell.

34 skills seems like a lot, but I don't know. Are you listing things in skills that are better listed in your experience section? Depends on your experience section. Generally I think intro's are wastes of space, but sometimes if you are struggling with a coherent narrative they can help set that up. It's like a narrator giving exposition at the beginning of a movie: It's always a bad choice but sometimes it's needed because of how everything else is done.

I would say if you don't want to be asked about it, don't list it. So that may mean don't list Javascript if you hate it. But again, I might look at your resume and say "Yeah, you need to list more languages and frameworks because you look pigeonholed".

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lockback posted:

34 skills seems like a lot, but I don't know. Are you listing things in skills that are better listed in your experience section? Depends on your experience section.

Okay, so this reminds me of something I have been wondering about. I had an contact with a recruiter who was asking me to make changes to the resume. Fair enough. The issue was he was very unclear about what he actually wanted. Eventually I managed to get him to say he wanted me to include things like programming language names within the experience bullet points. So instead of saying saying , "<ACTIONED> <PROBLEM> for <RESULT>" you'd say "<ACTIONED> <PROBLEM> with C# for <RESULT>" or something. I mostly remember the interaction because this guy was the loving worst, but I did get curious about repeated information in resume bullet points.

For myself, I just hate the way those sentences work most of the time. Too many prepositional phrases just make it so blaaaaah though I imagine it's possible to make them okay. I typically avoided any proper nouns in my bullet points where avoidable to make them stand alone. Previously, I imagined not repeating within a resume was superior because it could display a broader range and that repeated information was bad in the same way it would be inside of a paragraph of normal human prose.

Now I wonder if maybe that is wrong. Should I be putting any skill high points in there multiple times to increase the odds of being seen and reinforced?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Depends.

For primary stuff, yes. If you are a Java developer than that is a skill and it should be highlighted in experience. If you worked a little bit on your CICD pipeline but you aren't really interested in DevOps or diving into that, then you should highlight that in experience but not as a skill. That's why I think you probably have to move some of those 34 skills into the experience story, but you still need a skill section to tell me what your core strengths and highlights are.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Getting really tired of companies where the first round of questions are like,

"So, what made you fall in love with our company? What do you like best about us? :allears:"

Look buddy, I've applied to 30 other jobs this week and your vague job description just so happened to mention one of the technologies I'm experienced with. Right after the page and a half of mission statements and company values. I just want to know what this job ACTUALLY is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm doing the rounds right now, and due to how the demand for my job is in the UK right now I'm really enjoying when the recruiters ask if I've heard of the company I'm applying for and I go just go "no". They just have to sell me on it.

Also holy poo poo is searching for a job different after hitting five years XP in the field. I hit "Open to Work" at 5PM on Monday and I've already got two interviews lined up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, I've thought on it. I created a redacted version of my resume but I still don't wish to post even that to the general internet for reasons. It's just not how I typically interact with the web. However, I have no issue with the people here specifically seeing it.

If anyone is willing to help, ping me in PMs with your email or message me at magnetic dot north dot SA at gmail dot com and tell me your SA handle. I know this goes against the principle of having a thread where the value comes from others reading and learning from comments, but I hope some of you will be willing to indulge me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Please forgive the double post.

Here's an screener/ interview question: What do you do if they refuse to move on until you say a number? Had that happen today. After a while I just hung up. I'd like to practice some more flim-flam to potentially leave them on the hook or coax them past it, though I consider it an incredibly bad sign so maybe it's just not worth the bother. If they care that much they are clearly trying to gently caress me.

I also might need to start leading with this instead of it happening after trying to describe my career to an uninterested drone for 25 minutes. Stop wasting my motherfucking time.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

If they refuse to move on until they have pressured you into giving up your leverage in pay expectation, they can kiss your rear end. gently caress them.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Here's an screener/ interview question: What do you do if they refuse to move on until you say a number? Had that happen today. After a while I just hung up. I'd like to practice some more flim-flam to potentially leave them on the hook or coax them past it, though I consider it an incredibly bad sign so maybe it's just not worth the bother. If they care that much they are clearly trying to gently caress me.

I also might need to start leading with this instead of it happening after trying to describe my career to an uninterested drone for 25 minutes. Stop wasting my motherfucking time.

The more you practice flim-flam the better you get at it. I like to turn the tables and respond with a question (like a politician): I don't have a number in mind right now, what's the range for this role? There are other more important factors that I need to know first, can you tell me more about this aspect of the business or the culture? Oh that's confidential? Yeah I'd like to know more about that before making any decision.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Magnetic North posted:

The only thing to do is agree with them that this process will not be moving forward and hang up. Your instinct is correct: if by the second or third step in the dance they are still refusing to proceed without you giving away your position, it's not worth the bother to continue. They are only looking to staff the position with the cheapest possible minimally qualified candidate, and that isn't you.

e: ^^^^ I'm assuming with what I wrote that MN knows the steps of the dance.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 8, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As usual, the negotiation thread is great for this buuuut...

Mantle posted:

The more you practice flim-flam the better you get at it. I like to turn the tables and respond with a question (like a politician): I don't have a number in mind right now, what's the range for this role? There are other more important factors that I need to know first, can you tell me more about this aspect of the business or the culture? Oh that's confidential? Yeah I'd like to know more about that before making any decision.
This is broadly what I've been using this week. I say that my expected salary will depend on the work, the benefits, the flexibility in schedule, how often I'm expected to be in the office, and the culture, and that everything is flexible depending on how much I like what's on offer or how much I like the people interviewing me. If that doesn't work I ask for the budget for the role. If THAT doesn't work I say "look it sounds interesting but I'd like to know more before putting a number on it, so I'm happy to talk to <whoever> if they like the look of my CV and see how it goes". That last one has never failed, because the recruiter has hit a KPI of making an introduction and their boss is now off their back.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah it went like this.

:abuela: What is your expecation?
:words: *elaborate and extended flim-flam that ends with me asking for the range* (most recruiters stop here)
:abuela: Okay, but what is your expectation?
:rolleyes: Well, what's the range?
:abuela: I can only say after you've said a range.
:mad: Well, why don't you tell me the range and then I'll tell you?
:abuela: I cannot say until you say a range, then I can send it to the hiring manager.
:tizzy: *hangs up*

Arquinsiel posted:

If THAT doesn't work I say "look it sounds interesting but I'd like to know more before putting a number on it, so I'm happy to talk to <whoever> if they like the look of my CV and see how it goes". That last one has never failed, because the recruiter has hit a KPI of making an introduction and their boss is now off their back.

That's the good stuff. Once I hung up I felt that there would be a way through if I wasn't so loving annoyed. It's the first time that I one of the "I am obviously a non-technical speed bump" screeners resist so hard. It's usually the "I've been doing this for 20 years and you listen here you little poo poo" old guys who give me poo poo. Not that I put up with it from them either, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the convenient things about my company having gotten a poo poo reputation for pay rates of late is that when recruiters ask what I'm making and I say "not enough" they just chuckle and say "yeah" and move on.