Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Enacted after a white supremacist shooting in 2017, Georgia’s terrorism law is a broadly written statute that allows people to face terror charges for damaging property—not just hurting people. Responding to the previous terrorism charges against Stop Cop City protesters, the American Civil Liberties Union decried the new law as “overbroad” legislation that “can be wielded to disproportionately punish people who express political beliefs.”

imo they should just stop the song and dance and bring back the criminal syndicalism laws so they can charge people with terrorism for wrongthink again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/schuy_ler/status/1699514765557522505?s=20

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
lmao

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
these people really just need to choose to not be poor and disabled. :cmon:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Dark poo poo, the part where that lady lost her both her feet got me for some reason. In LA we have people die of hypothermia but it doesn't get so cold that people get frostbite. Also dark that she uses the expression "get back on our feet" after losing both of them, if it wasn't so sad it would be poetic. gently caress those cops for shooting that guy.

Sep 1, 2023
headline: a private security & medical services company to provide social services for New York City's homeless

a $400 million effort

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/06/nyregion/docgo-migrants-contract-adams.html

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
The Repubs are really good at figuring out pressure points that bring out the liberal and "centrist" fascists. What they did with this migrant busing/flying bullshit is a masterclass in cynical politics. If loving with abortion or LGTBQ people doesn't work; just shift the focus to the next population to dehumanize and put the Dems in a position where they're forced to either be decent/humane or freak out and start calling for crackdowns and violence. Get dumb libs to start talking about open borders and calling for the end of whatever humane laws are on the books. The GOP never underestimates people's capacity for petty cruelty, especially when faced with a slight inconvenience.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Love Rat posted:

The Repubs are really good at figuring out pressure points that bring out the liberal and "centrist" fascists. What they did with this migrant busing/flying bullshit is a masterclass in cynical politics. If loving with abortion or LGTBQ people doesn't work; just shift the focus to the next population to dehumanize and put the Dems in a position where they're forced to either be decent/humane or freak out and start calling for crackdowns and violence. Get dumb libs to start talking about open borders and calling for the end of whatever humane laws are on the books. The GOP never underestimates people's capacity for petty cruelty, especially when faced with a slight inconvenience.

This is really true and also liberals are far more likely to trust local and national media than which is just a constant unending stream of panic and moral outrage

I like this one because it’s so loving dumb

That is one scary loving bus!!!

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
What does that even mean? Like there is some level of residual methamphetamines on the bus surfaces? I bet the buses also test positive for poo, blood, and cum and none of it matters. People are so scared of drug use, capital did a real good of scaring the poo poo out americans that for sure.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Good one capital!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This is really true and also liberals are far more likely to trust local and national media than which is just a constant unending stream of panic and moral outrage

Seattle metro will get you there

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

rehash of the old schoolyard canard about cocaine on all the dollar bills, boring!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

JesusIsTehCool posted:

What does that even mean? Like there is some level of residual methamphetamines on the bus surfaces? I bet the buses also test positive for poo, blood, and cum and none of it matters. People are so scared of drug use, capital did a real good of scaring the poo poo out americans that for sure.

Yeah it’s just trace residue that they admit has no harmful effect but then the actual story has a big section on the health and well being of transit employees lol

But it’s just part of the relentless media push to reverse the 2020 decriminalization laws, which has fully succeeded in Washington and is probably inevitable in Oregon

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Only drugs that make big money are allowed

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Love Rat posted:

yeah I’ve never seen anything that turns capital L liberals into frothing monsters as quickly, viscously, and unapologetically as homelessness. there’s an unholy urban-rural alliance there for the taking

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

this piece came out the same day that trimet announced they're going to start arresting more passengers

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride

Sep 11, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

turns capital L liberals into frothing monsters

Same picture

91223_2
Sep 13, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

well we just lost access to our main food supplier and people are already talking about just folding. poo poo sucks.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

well we just lost access to our main food supplier and people are already talking about just folding. poo poo sucks.

What’s this about? Do you do a food pantry?

Anyway, here’s an update on Oregon decriminalization

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/group-files-paperwork-to-modify-oregons-measure-110/

quote:

The initiative would prohibit the use of hard drugs in public places, make possession of lethal drugs (like fentanyl, meth and heroin) a crime again, replace voluntary treatment with required addiction treatment and prioritize diversion and treatment over prosecution and jail.

Will the voters approve this should it make the ballot? Almost certainly

It was inevitable but it’s really sad. We had a chance to go a different direction but carceral solutions are really the only solutions that I think the general public wants. Sure, they don’t really work. But damnit, they feel like they should work!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Carcera, sera

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Without digging in, just based on the article, it looks like it might just recriminalize meth and opioids and such, leaving decrim in place for club drugs, and it would be a hell of a move to reform decrim by recriminalizing drugs poor people use but not the ones rich tend to play with

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

chicago is paying corrupt private security firm giardiaworld gardaworld $29 million to set up most certainly humane and totally adequate tents for all the migrant workers greg abbott bussed up there to freeze to death

92223_2
Sep 22, 2023

92223_2
Sep 22, 2023

The Voice of Labor posted:

chicago is paying corrupt private security firm giardiaworld gardaworld $29 million to set up most certainly humane and totally adequate tents for all the migrant workers greg abbott bussed up there to freeze to death

gardaworld inc. security guards as fulltime body snatchers

92223_2
Sep 22, 2023
no protests, no reflection, nothing. full acceptance.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

In this house we believe no human is illegal

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any Chicago goons looking for a room mate? Be the change

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

In this house we believe no human is illegal

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
they were always gonna legalize just middle class drugs once they realized “urban camping” bans weren’t gonna be a good enough excuse to arrest poor people

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

they were always gonna legalize just middle class drugs once they realized “urban camping” bans weren’t gonna be a good enough excuse to arrest poor people

Yeah, you’re right of course. It’s still a hell of move if it’s really the direction they go

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the ultimate in liberalism.jpg

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

maybe they just meant trump is illegal

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

92223_2 posted:

no protests, no reflection, nothing. full acceptance.

there was something. lightfoot got to look all heroic in the press about a year ago when she in this housed and said of course we'll take these people in

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

:confuoot:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...nd%20sidewalks.

quote:

“I hope this goes to the Supreme Court, and that’s a hell of a statement for a progressive Democrat,” Newsom said in an interview with POLITICO last week. “It’s gone too far. People’s lives are at risk.”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

burnishing his lib credentials really brightly here

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FOX13News/status/1706292516809543961?s=20

homeless, living in the woods, got eaten by alligator

quote:

LARGO, Fla. - A makeshift memorial and flowers lay at the spot where a nearly 14-foot alligator was found with human remains in its mouth. Now, the victim’s daughter is honoring her mother by acknowledging her past and touting her selflessness.

Sabrina Peckham's daughter, 23-year-old Breauna Dorris, said before her mother's remains were found in the jaws of an alligator, she was homeless, living in a wooded area nearby.

"Nobody expects to hear that your mother died under these circumstances," she said.

Every day Peckham would stop by Dorris' home to visit her grandkids.

When Peckham didn’t show up Thursday evening and Friday morning, Dorris knew something wasn't right.

"I knew that she was out here," Dorris shared. "Before her name was even released or she was identified. I knew there were news articles going around about a gator with a human body part in its mouth."

Dorris said despite Peckham's criminal history of trespassing and drug possession, she wants her to be remembered for her heart.

"My mother chose the wrong path in life for sure," she explained. "She was selfless. One hundred percent selfless. She was homeless herself. But that didn't matter. She would give you the last piece of food off her plate. She would give you the shirt off her back if she needed to."

A stranger created a makeshift memorial for Peckham, where the alligator was found. Dorris left pink flowers, Peckham's favorite color, to honor her.

"Knowing that's how she went...it wasn't painless. It wasn't fast. It wasn't easy. She struggled," she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/FOX13News/status/1706292516809543961?s=20

homeless, living in the woods, got eaten by alligator

The daughter has a home, but Mom is living alone in the woods? am I reading this right?