Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

harrygomm posted:

this is kinda what i was thinking but it’s been a while. i know i completed the battle pass levels well before i finished the season journey stuff, at least. could be worth trying to do some dungeons in a group with others who want to wrap up the battle pass, it makes em go a lot quicker
Malignant Tunnels also seem to give a decent chunk of progress and are a bit shorter / easier.

My biggest problem is I kind of want to respec my druid from werebear into earth / storm, but like someone else said there are so many moving parts to a decent build it's not just a case of respeccing; there's the paragon board, as well as having to redo all of the gear aspects and enchantments. I really can't be arsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

harrygomm posted:

i picked up sorc as my second class specifically because everyone was saying it was fun to blast around with. obviously slotting in barber was a big boost but i’ve been playing more or less the same build since level 1. maybe it’sa late bloomer. maybe it’s just fatigue at playing a low level character for the 6th time or whatever

this is kinda what i was thinking but it’s been a while. i know i completed the battle pass levels well before i finished the season journey stuff, at least. could be worth trying to do some dungeons in a group with others who want to wrap up the battle pass, it makes em go a lot quicker

i think this nails it for me. seems like NMD really should give a paragon point for a full clear as a baseline. that’s still what, 200 nmd (4 points/level for levels 50-100). kind of like the badge system wow had for a while

Sorcerer in my experience struggles to clear over-leveled content. This will make leveling annoying despite sorcerer AOE and teleport.

I have done two sorcerers, one as lightning stun spam and one with fireball. Lightning is much more efficient, fireball much more hilarious. But the sorcerer's survivability and access to real damage is based on its cooldowns.

Rogue having multiple avenues to access near 100% uptime on vulnerability from early game-onward is bizarre compared to most if not all sorcerers needing to slot in the frost vuln trigger to get anywhere. I guess the consolation prize is that sorcerer does not feel difficult to gear, and you can stunlock bosses extremely quickly.

All the classes are very far apart on overall build balance.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 7, 2023

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Ugh I'm grinding this bone spear necro out but I'm so bored of it.

Does getting carried through a Lilith kill count for the seasonal journey? How much are they and where do I sign up for one?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I hope they add some celery and water because the bones are good

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Aexo posted:

Ugh I'm grinding this bone spear necro out but I'm so bored of it.

Does getting carried through a Lilith kill count for the seasonal journey? How much are they and where do I sign up for one?

it does yeah. dunno how much but i’ve seen people talking about it being discussed on the official diablo discord. i’m sure you could also find it on d2jsp. i’d offer to help but i don’t think i could carry a second reliably, if you’re even playing HC

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
https://old.reddit.com/r/diablo4/comments/16cpxth/exploration_item_power_distribution_in_nmd_t21100/

same idea as a previous post, linked in that OP, but a larger sample size showing that item power doesn’t really scale well with NMD tier, especially post 40. also some speculation that dungeons with a large contingent of goat mobs might drop less overall items.

shorter version: item power is not a good reason to push high NMD either

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Anecdotally, but running 70+ NMD seems to make the gear drops >95% Ancient at least. I know I've had runs without a single Sacred drop, unlike 40-ish NMD where maybe a third at least are Sacred.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah this one was different in that they were only picking up ancestral and not recording % of drops as one quality vs the other on a tier by tier basis. it might therefore make sense to run higher level NMD so you get a higher volume of ancestrals which can then potentially roll higher ilvl, not sure where the sweet spot would be. i imagine it’d be hard to reliably target eg dungeons with only spiders so you can farm something they have a higher chance of dropping, especially if you’re trying to thread the needle of nmd level + affixes also

oh well doesn’t really matter that much i don’t think, not the same kind of loot driving endgame like D2 where i’d want to do that kind of farm

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Punkreas posted:

Anecdotally, but running 70+ NMD seems to make the gear drops >95% Ancient at least. I know I've had runs without a single Sacred drop, unlike 40-ish NMD where maybe a third at least are Sacred.

I’d agree with this, even in the high 50’s I noticed I’d started picking up yellows without bothering to check if they were ancestral or not, a high enough percent were higher level.

Still 95% utter trash ofcourse

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm at level 88 with a Pulverize druid and just had a Tempest Roar drop. Pulverize is working pretty well but I know nothing about the relative power of different builds and when they might hit a ceiling. Should I respec to something else around Tempest Roar?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
if you’re good with your clear speed as bear, no need to change it up. if you’re looking to do uber after nearing 100 ll bulwark bear and shred/nado wolf are much better options so swapping now to get used to it and to find supporting gear may be beneficial

personally i’d swap to shred in a heart beat because i think the teleporting around auto aim playstyle looks silly fun. and nado wolf does have better aoe clear speed than i think any other druid build, so if the stutter step casting playable looks cool maybe swap for that

pulverize normally hits its wall with single target dps first so that’d be the benchmark i’d go by. and any wolf build should beat the pants off of normal pulverize. unless they stealth fixed the poison stacking build for wolf i think it is the best dps build in the game. they did fix the rogue poison build so i imagine the druid one will get nerfed by next season. so exploit early exploit often if you want to see that

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
For renown fully carrying over with the next season, do we know if a pre-season character will activate it? I finished it preseason but not this season. I’m in my 80s and pretty much done playing for now so if I can skip having to do it again that would be great.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

It does, yeah

quote:

Paragon Points, Skill Points, Potion Charges, and Obol capacity upgrades will now carry over into a new Season once achieved with an Eternal or previous Seasonal Realm character.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23989476/season-of-blood-is-dripping-into-sanctuary

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I can believe that I'm 91 and still missing like 4 glamours on each item.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i have all 5 classes at like 60 or 70+ and same. i never did find a resource which just lists all of the slots so o can compare with mine to see what hasn’t dropped. i’m assuming it’s either cash shop or the uber uniques or something

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I can believe that I'm 91 and still missing like 4 glamours on each item.

I hope one of them requires salvaging a Shako to obtain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New patch notes.

Mostly bug fixes, but they boosted the XP season blessing from 8% to 20%.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bamhand posted:

I hope one of them requires salvaging a Shako to obtain.

No reason to keep it at the end of the season! Wearing that as a transmog on your seasonal characters forever more is dope as hell

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005
The main thing I'm interested in at the moment is if the full renown on my seasonal softcore character will carry over to hardcore.

I know that seasons and starting a new character won't keep me interested long-term, but hardcore will. Just thinking if I should wait until season 2 to start hardcore fully, but don't want to do renown again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hardcore is entirely separate until they state they've changed it. Sorry!

Good news on that XP boost to 20%, though is it still additive or..? :haw:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Does the seasonal xp bonus apply to eternal characters? It feels like it shouldn't, but my eternal character I'm playing with my wife seems to have been levelling ever so slightly faster. If they boost it from 8% to 20%, just lol.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Doomykins posted:

Hardcore is entirely separate until they state they've changed it. Sorry!

Good news on that XP boost to 20%, though is it still additive or..? :haw:

honest to god this time i tried going to the twitter of that one dev who answers stuff like this first, same guy who answered + vs x for bonus xp weekend and i have no idea how to find out anything. it is just showing random tweets in a random order from that last like 10 years. how does anyone use that site lmao

anyway the ashes were previously additive, don’t know if that also got changed with the boost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Does the seasonal xp bonus apply to eternal characters? It feels like it shouldn't, but my eternal character I'm playing with my wife seems to have been levelling ever so slightly faster. If they boost it from 8% to 20%, just lol.

pretty sure yeah. i remember reading stuff on the in game tooltip that some stuff applies to seasonal and non seasonal characters alike

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

harrygomm posted:

ll bulwark bear

What is this build?

harrygomm posted:

shred/nado wolf are much better options so swapping now to get used to it and to find supporting gear may be beneficial

Maxrolls has 2 Shred builds, one is lightning and the other poison. Does poison have the advantage?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New patch notes.

Mostly bug fixes, but they boosted the XP season blessing from 8% to 20%.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

cool I'll take whatever I can get XP wise

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Listerine posted:

Maxrolls has 2 Shred builds, one is lightning and the other poison. Does poison have the advantage?
Creeper is great and I've been using a bunch of aspects / passives to turn it into a buff. One of the nicest feeling ones is the one that makes earth skills detonate the poison damage instantly for 130% damage, but I'm not maths savvy to know which is better:

A) instantly explode the poison damage using pummel (with the aspect that makes it an earth skill) or landslide, taking a huge and satisfying chunk out of the enemy health, or;

B) Leave the poison going and take advantage of all the +dmg vs poisoned enemies buffs from the paragon grid for all of the skills I hit it with while poisoned.

The chunk A takes out of its health is significant, especially if surrounded by 2 or more adds meaning I get an extra 45% damage on top of the other 4x10% damage* buffs to poison damage / vs poisoned enemies. But I just don't know which ends up doing more damage!

* No idea if they're + or x sorry

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Listerine posted:

What is this build?

ll bulwark is apparently wolf not bear and also does not need tempest roar, but crone staff. my bad on that, haven’t played my druid in a while so i haven’t been keeping up. can’t speak specifically to this site or build but at a glance it all looks correct

https://app.mobalytics.gg/diablo-4/builds/druid/low-life-crone-bulwark

apparently the build w/ shred i was thinking of is called shrednado, just a random planner i found that describes it. this is one of the first builds that killed uber lillith in preseason and afaik had only gotten stronger

https://app.mobalytics.gg/diablo-4/builds/druid/shred-nado

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

They should just make the XP boost permanent because midgame leveling is a loving slog after the first character. The paragon system is neat but the downside is that you spend level 1-50 feeling like you're just waiting to actually start playing your real build. The relative lack of enemy / dungeon variety doesn't help much either.

Ironically D2's system of "gently caress it, just skip everything and power-level to the endgame in 30 minutes" remains the most compelling in terms of rolling alts and getting into the fun loot treadmilling.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ironically D2's system of "gently caress it, just skip everything and power-level to the endgame in 30 minutes" remains the most compelling in terms of rolling alts and getting into the fun loot treadmilling.

Not getting people right into the dumpster diving that is the loot treadmilling system is probably one of D4s better decisions.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Listerine posted:

I'm at level 88 with a Pulverize druid and just had a Tempest Roar drop. Pulverize is working pretty well but I know nothing about the relative power of different builds and when they might hit a ceiling. Should I respec to something else around Tempest Roar?

Hear me out... try the Gigashred Werewolf Tornado Blaster Grasshopper Druid Build.

You ever kill The Butcher without knowing you even spawned The Butcher?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

pseudanonymous posted:

Not getting people right into the dumpster diving that is the loot treadmilling system is probably one of D4s better decisions.

I mean it's kind of the whole game, and more broadly the entire ARPG genre, no? The campaign / sidequests / dungeons are all enjoyable enough, but outside of chasing newer, shinier gear there's not a whole lot else that would keep most people coming back for more. D3 Grifts were at least fun to blast through at max speed and you were leveling gems and stuff the whole time so it felt like you were making some sort of progress even if you got poo poo drops, but the combination of a much slower pace, a more involved respec process, much less frequent "oh poo poo" drops, and a lack of any real secondary / tertiary goals to progress (beyond the battlepass, I guess?) definitely hasn't gotten its hooks as deep into me so far.

I *do* still like the game a lot overall, it just very much feels like the endgame was a little undercooked, which by all accounts seems to be the case on the development side.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I kinda prefer the loot treadmill because my character gets stronger VS my character rotation is the same as soon as I get my last aspect in place and now I'm just making the dungeon level go up but everything dies at the same pace. D2 at least my loot treadmill sped up as I approached my dream build.

The mid level grind is awful but I do really enjoy the first 50 levels where I can kinda do whatever for my build and it works. Still thinknthr best approach to these game sis let everything be broken and only nerf something if it's just absurdly outperforming and even then who cares seasons are 90 days.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

this loving world boss thing is driving me insane

Ashava is dead, the timer is still going, and I haven't gotten credit for the kill 15 world bosses seasonal quest

the other guy in the screenshot has the exact same issue. we're both standing here waiting to see if we get credit once the timer expires lol.

edit: never got credit. went out of my way to log on just to kill a world boss for no reason :haw:

Ehud fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 9, 2023

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I never saw one with a timer but there were times I had to wait over a minute for it to proc on the season journey page. Extremely annoying.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
starting level being 50 might be a decent compromise between "its diablo you're meant to have all your progress wiped every 3 months" and "that loving sucks rear end" crowds.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It bugs me that the various build sites seem to only produce content for the current season. Maxrollgg appears to have straight up overridden their eternal builds and tier list with season 1 builds and tier lists.

I’d love to check out eternal builds. Am I missing a toggle or something on these websites?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's a lot of work to make good and up to date guides for even current content but also at this point d4 content is generating basically zero clicks so there's no point doing it right now. eternal has even less interest than seasonal, so i particularly would not expect to see anything there :\

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i think d4builds has a toggle when creating a build for seasonal or not. if you can find any old guides from eternal they might still be preserved in their old state, but not sure how relevant they’d be if patches changed stuff

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The endgame build fantasy of D4 is all about combining ludicrous aspects to make insanely overpowered builds that can kill literal gods in under a second, and the seasonal content has extra aspects as well as the hearts that fully enable that.

Given that the seasons are free and your character passes into eternal at the end of it anyway, it makes sense that everything is about seasonal play, because if you want to play with meta builds that do ridiculous poo poo, seasonal is the best place for that

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Eternal Builds are identical to Season 1 builds, just don't blindly stack crit to benefit a Barber or assume you have defensives from other hearts. You'll be missing a few seasonal aspects. :v:

The skill trees, gear priorities and paragon boards are gonna be identical. D4 isn't that deep for builds.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think at the moment one of my big pet peeves is that the description of ranges of abilities is pretty dogshit.

I get that 'close' and 'distant' enemies are a thing, but on Druid for example, nowhere does it say that Landslide is a ranged ability that will occasionally target distant mobs who are behind the giant elite who definitely qualifies as close and should really be exploding instead.

Or the aspect that gives pulverise a shockwave that 'travels forward.' How far forward? Who knows! Why not invest resources in seeing if it's a useful distance, or a wet fart that tickles one, maybe two extra enemies!

I also understand that they don't want to bog down players with too much info, but that's what the advanced tooltips are for, right?