Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh, you can get away with 18 STR. There’s that book, and you can put those points elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The 18/## strength numbering was always hilarious. What a broke-rear end garbage nonsense system. 18 strength? Haw, just the tip of the iceberg! Now you gotta deal with that sweet sweet 1-100 numbering too!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Edit: wrong thread

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have discovered I can stick my familiar in my backpack and get the free hp without babysitting. A++

I have also discovered an "I win" button for early game wizard wars, and it's "stinking cloud and web and bows on my non-wizards"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BG1: could use some advice for micromanaging my party for general fights

Also, is it wrong that I resent having to micromanage my party like each encounter is a WoW raid boss fight?

Also also question: I assume I should be knocking on each and every door early on in order to level up? I kind of skipped out on doing this on my way to the mines, and now I'm off on the Minsc quest and I fear I am underleveled for what is to come

(yes, I kind of took a hiatus after clearing the mines some months back)

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bilirubin posted:

Also, is it wrong that I resent having to micromanage my party like each encounter is a WoW raid boss fight?

Also also question: I assume I should be knocking on each and every door early on in order to level up? I kind of skipped out on doing this on my way to the mines, and now I'm off on the Minsc quest and I fear I am underleveled for what is to come

If youve done the mines you are fine for the minsc quest in terms of levels. I wouldnt worry about levels like that tbh, its not final fantasy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

there's an option on the character screen to set an AI script for every party member. if you don't know what to use, the best option is usually called a "classname ranged script" that has them start at range and swap to melee if someone rushes them. this cuts down on the micromanaging in general a lot, but in general, pausing and managing your six people doing different things is the way the game is played.

if you cleared the mines and hit level 2, you're at the right level for the gnoll stronghold with minsc. clearing out the notable content on every map is how you get most xp at the stage of the game you're in, using a visual walkthrough like this is the easiest way to find the important stuff: https://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough.php

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you go into the Character screen and click on Customize, you can define a script for your characters. You turn party AI on by clicking on the lap button or hitting the A key. The AI scripts are fine for general encounters, but you'll probably still need to micromanage for harder fights.

Leveling is going to be slow in comparison to other games. You're not going to get that many breadcrumb quests in towns, so you'll need to strike out in and explore wilderness extras. BG1 is kind of open ended in terms of quest design. Other than timed quests that is.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

This is very much a "find your own way" 90's CRPG design game. Pretty much every house has something in it, but it can just be a 5 GP necklace, or it can be a small quest, a nifty item or two, or an ambush. This is especially true once you get into the Big Citytm. And similarly, exploring the big wilderness areas will reveal random mobs of varying difficulty (and corresponding XP rewards, for the most part), some small "quests", (mini-)dungeons, and recruitable people even. Wandering around aimlessly and being a burglar-murderhobo gets you stuff, is what I'm saying.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I systematically explore every inch of every map to rid the world of fog of war, idk if that's what the devs intended though

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I systematically explore every inch of every map to rid the world of fog of war, idk if that's what the devs intended though

Same, and yes I think it was intended since when these games were made it was peak gameplay to explore and remove fog of war.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jay Rust posted:

Simplify your life by using Clairvoyance in every zone.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Bilirubin posted:

For early BG1, give everyone in your party missile weapons. Bows or slings or darts, whatever they can use. Make sure you have auto-pause and stop party movement when spotting an enemy. Your party will halt when you see the first in a group of enemies. Unleash your firepower and kill whatever it is. Step forward, and you'll see another enemy, your characters will stop, and the game will pause. Unleash your firepower again. Repeat until the entire group is dead. It's cheesy, but a very effective way of dealing with the groups of hobgoblins, xvarts, kobolds, and wildlife you'll find roaming in packs throughout the Sword Coast.

Don't be afraid to abuse the quick-save. There are a few gently caress you areas and encounters scattered throughout the game, and being able to immediately load a quicksave from 20 seconds ago is far preferable to loading an autosave from god knows how long ago.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cool thanks all! As we are level 2 I guess we are GTG. Also thanks for clarifying how the AI works in detail

Arivia posted:

there's an option on the character screen to set an AI script for every party member. if you don't know what to use, the best option is usually called a "classname ranged script" that has them start at range and swap to melee if someone rushes them. this cuts down on the micromanaging in general a lot, but in general, pausing and managing your six people doing different things is the way the game is played.

if you cleared the mines and hit level 2, you're at the right level for the gnoll stronghold with minsc. clearing out the notable content on every map is how you get most xp at the stage of the game you're in, using a visual walkthrough like this is the easiest way to find the important stuff: https://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/walkthrough.php

So there is a secret portal at the end of the mines that leads to an encounter with another group of bounty hunters with both OP ranged and a couple mages. After the final battle I was low on items and spells so I constantly wiped. After reload I skipped going in there for later assuming I was just outclassed currently. I guess its more a mattter of getgud

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Cool thanks all! As we are level 2 I guess we are GTG. Also thanks for clarifying how the AI works in detail

So there is a secret portal at the end of the mines that leads to an encounter with another group of bounty hunters with both OP ranged and a couple mages. After the final battle I was low on items and spells so I constantly wiped. After reload I skipped going in there for later assuming I was just outclassed currently. I guess its more a mattter of getgud

Yeah, that particular encounter you're probably gonna want a few more levels under your belt. They aren't going anywhere so you can always go back (and should, they've got some nice equipment).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hi five my fellow oblivious-as-a-child BG enjoyer! Let us revel in our youthful ignorance together! Back when all you needed was a spellbook full of identify and magic missile until you got fireball and what's crowd control for that won't cause damage which means things take longer to die!
I still have to consciously get over a mental block to use Command because it feels like the spell description is written like an insult for idiots who want their opponents to "die" (sleep).

Mostly reminded well after this replay because

docbeard posted:

Yeah, that particular encounter you're probably gonna want a few more levels under your belt. They aren't going anywhere so you can always go back (and should, they've got some nice equipment).
I think all these jokers are susceptible which helps break up the flow of combat to where you don't get rocked.

75% of the original BG can be solved by telling knuckleheads to die and waving scary sticks. For the final 25% there's the paralyzing stick.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Yeah, those jerks are a really nasty surprise. Crowd control - Command, Hold Person, Stinking Cloud, anything that keeps them from acting while you pepper them with missile fire. Seriously, ranged weapons are OP in early BG.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Simplify your life by using Clairvoyance in every zone.

But then how will I track which areas I haven't exhaustively explored yet?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

docbeard posted:

Great, thanks for confirming my suspicion, and for letting me know that heading to the gnomes is ok where I'm at.

(I did wander around in the map below that party and found one of my first magical edged weapons in a haunted grave)

I'll clear out the rest of the towns I have gone through later at some point I guess. I don't want to play on the rails of the main quest, but I also don't want to waste a lot of time farting around unproductively

now I want to play but work calls...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh and add me to your GoG @ Bilirubin5

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(BG 1) I think I'm about at the end of Durlag's Tower. I think there's only one room left, in fact. (I'm impressed that some other adventurers got past all those traps and puzzles.)

I'm preparing a bunch of buffs and potions to use, and I'll attempt to save after casting them all so I don't have to cast them all again upon reload.

Breaking the Mirror of Opposition: A bad idea, or the best way to win?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(BG 1) I think I'm about at the end of Durlag's Tower. I think there's only one room left, in fact. (I'm impressed that some other adventurers got past all those traps and puzzles.)

I'm preparing a bunch of buffs and potions to use, and I'll attempt to save after casting them all so I don't have to cast them all again upon reload.

Breaking the Mirror of Opposition: A bad idea, or the best way to win?

It's a bad idea. Easier to fight him straight up imo. He has a few nasty abilities but as long as you can avoid his dispel hitting everyone you should be fine.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So has this theoretically cool fight in b3 of durlag always been hosed in reality or did the ee break it?

Well if you fuckers aren't playing by the same rules I am, then I am spamming aoes into the fog of war.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SirSamVimes posted:

So has this theoretically cool fight in b3 of durlag always been hosed in reality or did the ee break it?

Well if you fuckers aren't playing by the same rules I am, then I am spamming aoes into the fog of war.

From 1999 to today, this has always been the correct response to the chess match

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the fireballs did not stop coming until I stopped receiving experience

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah, that scene in the first Harry Potter book/film was really jarring for Baldur's Gate veterans.

Why is a group of three wizards not simply emptying their spellbook into the fog of war instead of farting around playing chess by the rules?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sebzilla posted:

Yeah, that scene in the first Harry Potter book/film was really jarring for Baldur's Gate veterans.

Why is a group of three wizards not simply emptying their spellbook into the fog of war instead of farting around playing chess by the rules?
Being level 1 wizards they only two spell slots and they were both filled with that spell that turns people's snot into bats

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zephro posted:

Being level 1 wizards they only two spell slots and they were both filled with that spell that turns people's snot into bats

Our wizards are cooler than yours

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had an Ironman run end on that chess match once because one of the pawns reached its promotion square and transformed into a queen which apparently chunks the character standing on the same tile as them. I don't know if this is a BGEE or SCS bug or if it was just always that way. It was the first time I've ever seen it happen and I laughed when it did.

Usually I just fireball that encounter to death because this is always truth

Wicked Them Beats posted:

From 1999 to today, this has always been the correct response to the chess match

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Started towards the gnome's keep, discovered not all of my party are yet level 2 when Khalid leveled. I think I just have Minsc remaining to get to 2. Should be plenty of randos to attack on the way

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just in case you're not having autocorrect issue, you're going to be fighting gnolls, not gnomes. Gnomes are those funny little dudes, and gnolls are big dog-headed humanoids. Putting them into naptime still works, though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

right, sorry, typed the wrong g named fantasy race. Not enough coffee yet.

e. similarly, I should caffeinate before trying to play. BUT, I think I might be figuring out how to navigate around the world map after many misstarts? I was trying to get to the gnoll keep via the XVart village part of the map but wound up north of where I was trying to go (Archaeological sites perhaps?) and turned back. Apparently all I needed to do with travel south from there first but I am dumb and am trying to follow roads or some poo poo. But there are level appropriate quests to the immediate south of Nashkel so I will wander down that way and then head west. Should help to level Minsc at any rate

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 8, 2023

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I think I tried playing by the rules once before giving up and shooting fireballs. I did let one or two pawns promote for additional xp.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

right, sorry, typed the wrong g named fantasy race. Not enough coffee yet.

e. similarly, I should caffeinate before trying to play. BUT, I think I might be figuring out how to navigate around the world map after many misstarts? I was trying to get to the gnoll keep via the XVart village part of the map but wound up north of where I was trying to go (Archaeological sites perhaps?) and turned back. Apparently all I needed to do with travel south from there first but I am dumb and am trying to follow roads or some poo poo. But there are level appropriate quests to the immediate south of Nashkel so I will wander down that way and then head west. Should help to level Minsc at any rate

Generally speaking, the direction you exit a map 'reveals' a new map in that direction, so if you leave by the top edge of a map you might find a new map up north, if you exit on the left edge you find a map to the west, and so on. It was a good idea to follow the road down to Nashkel, but you're getting to the part of the game that's best used for wandering the wildernesses (though there are some high-level encounters hidden away every now and then :ohdear:) looking for fun and games.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m seeing conflicting info searching this up but does removing a party member remove any romance you have currently in BG2? I just want to solo something and leave everyone outside the door but I’m not sure if there are any negative effects on relationships. I see that with Jaheira it does mess up the romance but not sure about with others?

(I’m in chapter 3 and looking at the members I have I wouldn’t lose anyone permanently, it’s just relationships getting messed up I’m wondering about unless there are other negative effects I don’t know about).

Edit: I ended up reloading and removing everyone in another building, leaving before they could talk to me. After the solo fight I went back in and none of them were technically removed (the all came back up to me to ask if I actually wanted them to leave and I accepted them all back into the party). Well except Jaheira…she still left but I found her outside the Harper building. Hopefully this will not mess any romance stuff up; it’s not really that important but I never finished this romance route in the past with Aerie and would like to see the end whenever she decides to continue it. Although I might have messed it up at some previous point since after I told her I didn’t want to sleep with her (in the nice way) she hasn’t initiated any other dialogue.

rio fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 8, 2023

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you want to check you can activate the console and put in the following command:

C:GetGlobal("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

If that returns a 1 or 2 then the romance is progressing or active, respectively. A value of 3 means the romance is over.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you want to check you can activate the console and put in the following command:

C:GetGlobal("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

If that returns a 1 or 2 then the romance is progressing or active, respectively. A value of 3 means the romance is over.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the console (playing on iPad). My pc copy is long gone but that wasn’t the EE anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes it ends the romance, although possibly only if you're past a certain point?

Best thing to do, if you want to drop someone temporarily but not end the romance, is put them alone in a separate area so they can't reach your PC (like one of the rooms in the copper coronet with the door shut for e.g.) and boot them. That way the "did you really want me to leave?" dialogue doesn't trigger until you go and pick them up again, and you can just select the "no it was a mistake, stay in the party" option and it'll be as though you never kicked them at all.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Yes of course I love you, that's why I bundled you into this locked room and left you there without food or water for three weeks! Anyway welcome back to the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One of the shortcomings of the game is the way it interprets "please just wait here for an hour" as "gently caress you I hate you WE ARE BROKEN UP LEAVE ME ALONE FOREVER".