Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, didn't the Shirley Mansontron adopt a kid and become a CEO or something? See, I actually liked that, she was the only other one other than T2's OG that interested me because she clearly had something else going on than "10 KILL TARGET > 20 GOTO 10", unlike T3, Genysis, and Dark Fate's T-1000 knock offs. Plus the urinal scene was hilarious.

Yeah! Her interactions with the kid (who is initially the only one who suspects she isn’t who she pretends to be) are great. I would have liked to have seen how all that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Yeah! Her interactions with the kid (who is initially the only one who suspects she isn’t who she pretends to be) are great. I would have liked to have seen how all that turned out.

Now we're talkin like a Terminator!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, didn't the Shirley Mansontron adopt a kid and become a CEO or something? See, I actually liked that, she was the only other one other than T2's OG that interested me because she clearly had something else going on than "10 KILL TARGET > 20 GOTO 10", unlike T3, Genysis, and Dark Fate's T-1000 knock offs. Plus the urinal scene was hilarious.

Yeah, there was a LOT going on there.

I was just always quietly horrified that the kid knows that Mansonbot killed and replaced her family but is going along with it because who's gonna believe a kid?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I loved the show because it did not give a gently caress about weight loss.....
LOL just kidding.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, there was a LOT going on there.

I was just always quietly horrified that the kid knows that Mansonbot killed and replaced her family but is going along with it because who's gonna believe a kid?

It's ages now so I can't recall, was she actually scared/show it? Maybe she thought mom just became cooler and got superpowers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

It's ages now so I can't recall, was she actually scared/show it? Maybe she thought mom just became cooler and got superpowers.

No. She knew it wasn’t her mom and the T-1001 had little ability to mimic human emotions.

I always remember the scene where the Terminator manages to convince the girl to sit on its lap and the kid goes “Your lap is cold!”
:stonk:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mllaneza posted:

The thing I feel most cheated of by the Sarah Connor Chronicles cancellation is any exploration of what the T-1000 faction were up to. They were very well set up as a third faction beyond Skynet v Humanity and then... cancelled. For Salvation. Fuckers.

The one good thing about the cancellation is that Derek's death was one of the best deaths I've seen in a TV show and it probably wouldn't have happened if the show was renewed.

No fanfare, no people screaming his name, no dramatic slow motion, just Derek rounding the corner into a Terminator who shoots him dead center in the head and steps over his corpse without breaking stride. That's what would happen to anyone and I liked how they let a main character die like that. Plus the suddenness and violence of it had far more impact than lingering on it would have. Like it makes you think if that really happened and didn't let you process it before continuing the chase.

I would have preferred that the show continue because it was great, but I'll take what I can get.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I prefer my death by Termintator to be cold and impersonal.

Just like a death by Alien should be strung out and OH MY GOD I'M STUCK HERE IN THIS GOOEY WEBBING HELP ME!!!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

The one good thing about the cancellation is that Derek's death was one of the best deaths I've seen in a TV show and it probably wouldn't have happened if the show was renewed.

If I remember, that last season was a miracle that it even happened in the first place, so thankful for all that, but when that scene happened that was pretty definite in that they weren't coming back.

Which sucks because they set up a bunch of poo poo that would have been good threads for at least another season or two.

Every now and again when someone talks about a character getting written out or a show ending I'll think about that scene in particular and just darkly laugh to myself.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I loved the episode where the Terminator overshoots its temporal mark by like a century and accidentally kills the architect of a given building where it's going to stage it's intended assassination.

So it simply becomes and architect and real estate magnate to build exactly the building it's supposed to assassinate the guy in and Amontillados itself into the wall for decades to Kool aid man out when the target is slated to be there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I loved the episode where the Terminator overshoots its temporal mark by like a century and accidentally kills the architect of a given building where it's going to stage it's intended assassination.

So it simply becomes and architect and real estate magnate to build exactly the building it's supposed to assassinate the guy in and Amontillados itself into the wall for decades to Kool aid man out when the target is slated to be there.

Trying to understand this sentence....

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

redshirt posted:

Trying to understand this sentence....

(dates and names made up)
A terminator is supposed to kill a guy in 1985 in the Crenshaw building
He accidently goes back in time to 1915, before the crenshaw building is built.
So the terminator, in order to complete his mission, ensures that the Crenshaw building is built by buying the land and designing the building and overseeing construction.
During construction, he ends up building a niche behind a finished wall for him to hide in for 70 years. Once his target is having the event in the Crenshaw building that he was originally supposed to be sent to, he busts out of the wall to kills his target.

Edit:
It's so much better than I remembered:
https://terminator.fandom.com/wiki/Myron_Stark

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 7, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

So the terminator, in order to complete his mission, ensures that the Crenshaw building is built by buying the land and designing the building and overseeing construction.
During construction, he ends up building a niche behind a finished wall for him to hide in for 70 years. Once his target is having the event in the Crenshaw building that he was originally supposed to be sent to, he busts out of the wall to kills his target.

Edit:

Dumb rear end Terminator.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Edit:

Isn't there a bit where the Terminator is remarkably progressive by employing both white and black workers, because it sees them all equal in the end (as ashes when Judgement Day comes around)?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Isn't there a bit where the Terminator is remarkably progressive by employing both white and black workers, because it sees them all equal in the end (as ashes when Judgement Day comes around)?

I feel like this also works with The Alien.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You ever think a facehugger messes up the landing and implants a human host in the eye socket?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

I feel like this also works with The Alien.

Humans are either threats or hosts, and can even be both sometimes :)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Wakes up in sticky webbing oh my god oh my god!!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redshirt posted:

"Wakes up in sticky webbing oh my god oh my god!!"

This is why you don’t jerk off high before you fall asleep.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

You ever think a facehugger messes up the landing and implants a human host in the eye socket?

Buddy...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Parkingtigers posted:

Humour aside, this sort of thing is one of the better arguments for the intelligent design aspect of the larger Prometheus storyline. There seems to be an implicit order to the way biology works in the film series (maybe to you, nerd, real life?), in that everything is just compatible. I'm far too stoned right now to elucidate anything like it, but I think there's something to be said for the compatibiilty argument to be a subtle hint that 'Ridley Scott's Alien Universe' is more ordered than we know.

That said, it's still and it will always be still so much cooler that those dogshit prequels never existed and we stayed in the cosmic dark about what the xenomorph actually is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Humour aside, this sort of thing is one of the better arguments for the intelligent design aspect of the larger Prometheus storyline. There seems to be an implicit order to the way biology works in the film series (maybe to you, nerd, real life?), in that everything is just compatible. I'm far too stoned right now to elucidate anything like it, but I think there's something to be said for the compatibiilty argument to be a subtle hint that 'Ridley Scott's Alien Universe' is more ordered than we know.

That said, it's still and it will always be still so much cooler that those dogshit prequels never existed and we stayed in the cosmic dark about what the xenomorph actually is.

I want to love Prometheus, but I just can't get over how dumb that crew is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

redshirt posted:

Are you, like, just completely blind to the world around you? People being loving Morons is the norm. Hell, just look at the critical mass of dumb shits from all walks of life on these very boards.

Prometheus was just what happens when some rich lady hires a bunch of SA posters in 2093 or whenever. The novelisation probably has a whole section about Jeffrey - now existing in the cloud - wondering why revenue's tailed off for the last couple of years.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Are you, like, just completely blind to the world around you? People being loving Morons is the norm. Hell, just look at the critical mass of dumb shits from all walks of life on these very boards.

Prometheus was just what happens when some rich lady hires a bunch of SA posters in 2093 or whenever. The novelisation probably has a whole section about Jeffrey - now existing in the cloud - wondering why revenue's tailed off for the last couple of years.

I'd hire loving competent truck drivers I assure you.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think an issue is that it's hard to get over how dumb they are when the space truckers in the first movie are not dumb.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Azubah posted:

I think an issue is that it's hard to get over how dumb they are when the space truckers in the first movie are not dumb.

Right? They all get killed, but it's not because they are complete morons.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

redshirt posted:

Right? They all get killed, but it's not because they are complete morons.

In fact, considering they had no weapons and one of them was actively working against them, they did pretty well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Imo Prometheus sucks primarily because it's supposed to be a prequel to Alien yet looks like it's set hundreds of years further into the future.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

redshirt posted:

I don't want to overstate the case but it must be remembered that this is a crew that signed up for a secret possible suicide mission to unknown space at the behest of a howard hughesesque weirdo where they were read into literally none of the details before leaving Earth, because dollar signs.

I'm sure Weyland wanted the best and the brightest, but what he got was the best and the brightest from among people desperate or naïve enough to sign on for something like that.

Biplane posted:

Imo Prometheus sucks primarily because it's supposed to be a prequel to Alien yet looks like it's set hundreds of years further into the future.

Yeah stuff like Rogue One and Isolation shows you can lean into the "dated" 70's production design and as long as the original design language was solid it'll still look cool who gives a poo poo. Strange New Worlds kind of splits the difference and gives it a bit of polish and minor retcon refinement while still not completely abandoning it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 8, 2023

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

redshirt posted:

It really is such a huge contrast from Alien. Like, sure they have an agent sabateur on the ship working against them, but at least the decisions and actions have some kind of basis in logic. Ripley not wanting to break quarantine, catch the Alien and toss it while traveling in groups, blow the ship when they know they can't stop it, etc.

Vs: let me, the biologist who should loving know better, reach out and touch a giger-esque space penis and see what happens.

So many good ideas weighed down by the colossal anchor that is just the raw stupidity or pointlessness of everyone on that ship. The only one who isn't an idiot in that movie is David, and maybe Shaw. Everyone else was either dead weight with no function to the story, a detriment that forces the movie forward by serendipitously acting against their character, or logically shouldn't have loving been there in the first place.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Biplane posted:

Important to remember that the Nostromo is a Spartan, worn down, aged space truck and the Prometheus is like the world's first trillionaire's personal space yacht. Its like comparing a decades old cargo ship to Jeff Bezos brand new half-billion mega yacht.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alien has an increasingly-desperate crew still grieving the gnarly death of one of their own, while also trying to dodge the thing that ate its way out of his chest and is growing at a frightening rate and picking off the remaining crew one by one. No blood found when Parker recovered the flame unit, so the assumption is that Dallas got taken somewhere while still alive (and probably going to become another host, somehow).

When the Prometheus suits came out for Aliens: Fireteam Elite, we called them idiot suits and did a few joke runs in them where we died stupidly after running around like morons :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Important to remember that the Nostromo is a Spartan, worn down, aged space truck and the Prometheus is like the world's first trillionaire's personal space yacht. Its like comparing a decades old cargo ship to Jeff Bezos brand new half-billion mega yacht.

Indeed. So why crew with a ship full of morons?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

redshirt posted:

Trillionaires who are making a last ditch hail mary to obtain the secret of eternal life by travelling halfway across the universe are notoriously slapdash about their personal safety.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

I was just commenting on the difference in ship aesthetics re: one ship looking more hi-tech despite being earlier in the timeline.

As for crew competence, if I were to try to pull from possible in-universe explanations I've heard previously, perhaps the crew were all on the nutball fringe of their respective fields to agree to go on such a mission. Another I heard, possibly here in the past, was that Vickers may have been intentionally trying to sabotage her father's mission by hiring incompetents so she could take the reins herself. Or that maybe space exploration protocol weren't really established at this point as compared to Nostromo-era because this ship was one of the first to have a go at extra solar exploration (but, really they still should have know better.) None of these reasons are really spelled out in the movie; ultimately, the reason is that they're incompetent because they were written to be.

It did used to bother me more when the movie first came out, but after the last 10 years of seeing how people react to adversity, the unknown, and crisis scenarios, I'm much more comfortable accepting as reality that most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I was just commenting on the difference in ship aesthetics re: one ship looking more hi-tech despite being earlier in the timeline.

As for crew competence, if I were to try to pull from possible in-universe explanations I've heard previously, perhaps the crew were all on the nutball fringe of their respective fields to agree to go on such a mission. Another I heard, possibly here in the past, was that Vickers may have been intentionally trying to sabotage her father's mission by hiring incompetents so she could take the reins herself. Or that maybe space exploration protocol weren't really established at this point as compared to Nostromo-era because this ship was one of the first to have a go at extra solar exploration (but, really they still should have know better.) None of these reasons are really spelled out in the movie; ultimately, the reason is that they're incompetent because they were written to be.

It did used to bother me more when the movie first came out, but after the last 10 years of seeing how people react to adversity, the unknown, and crisis scenarios, I'm much more comfortable accepting as reality that most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another.

I can't let it go. I'd demand a crew of the most excellent people.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt posted:

I can't let it go. I'd demand a crew of the most excellent people.

Plot twist: they were the most excellent people :twisted:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Plot twist: they were the most excellent people :twisted:

What kind of world is that the best people?!?!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt posted:

What kind of world is that the best people?!?!

A lovely world to live in. AKA a world where Weyland-Yutani is in charge of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

A lovely world to live in. AKA a world where Weyland-Yutani is in charge of everything.

Hmm, interesting point.