Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/09/roadkill-endangered-animals-amphibians/675241/

This article reminds me of when I got to see a northern alligator lizard on the road. I helped it along to get to the other side, but as I turned back from walking my dog, discovered it had gone back out onto the road and someone hit. Car culture is depressing on so many levels but roadkill seriously breaks my heart.

I moved back to the US last year after living in Japan for the better part of a decade and the amount of dead animals on the highways is shocking. It's like a couple small mammals every mile and and a deer every ten. I can't recall ever seeing roadkill in Japan, and I was in a very rural area with tons of twisty mountain roads. Tons of alive monkeys and deer, pheasants from time to time, a bear once, none of them plastered into the pavement.

First time I went to Texas I was greeted with a parade of smushed armadillos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Driving out one spring break I saw a bald eagle flying and on the way back home it was smashed on the road. Metaphor for the American Dream? :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Driving out one spring break I saw a bald eagle flying and on the way back home it was smashed on the road. Metaphor for the American Dream? :ohdear:

:911:

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

What a lovely thing to see after three days of no internet connection.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/09/roadkill-endangered-animals-amphibians/675241/

This article reminds me of when I got to see a northern alligator lizard on the road. I helped it along to get to the other side, but as I turned back from walking my dog, discovered it had gone back out onto the road and someone hit. Car culture is depressing on so many levels but roadkill seriously breaks my heart.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Dokapon Findom posted:

I recently saw one on the side of the road eating road kill. I don't know how this alters your metaphor.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ben shapino posted:

i mean its no endorsement of a senile rapist for president but its pretty good

nah, covid thread is full of psycho freaks who do stuff like threaten service workers who dare make fun of their hazmat suits. it's not a normal place, and any endorsement coming from it is incredibly sus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

nah, covid thread is full of psycho freaks who do stuff like threaten service workers who dare make fun of their hazmat suits. it's not a normal place, and any endorsement coming from it is incredibly sus

:crnasickos:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

You are the last person to tell anyone they are a psycho or a freak.

Yeah but those were sexual harassment accusations, e.g. inappropriately touching her shoulders, making remarks about her legs, etc. They are definitely very believable, considering how much more commonplace such behaviors were back then, and also the fact that Biden himself appears to have trouble understanding the concept of personal space. Very inappropriate and cringe stuff.

The rape allegations though were first made during the 2020 election season, at least AFAIK.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TheOceanCleanup/status/1699799949276221844?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i would think insects not splattering on windshields as much anymore is chiefly due to chemicals sprayed on highways like herbicide, west nile prevention, radioactive salt water, etc. and general habitat loss from development along those roads as well.
killing a billion bugs/min for a century with cars is still bad tho and not helpful.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's rapists and racists all the way down, and not even climate death will change that. Human nature owns

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I recently saw one on the side of the road eating road kill. I don't know how this alters your metaphor.

at an old postdoc, we would x-ray bald eagle carcasses, because they commonly had bullet fragments in them. many of them were hit by cars, and the ones that switched to roadkill scavenging were little fatties, which i think contributed to them not dodging cars that well.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I moved back to the US last year after living in Japan for the better part of a decade and the amount of dead animals on the highways is shocking. It's like a couple small mammals every mile and and a deer every ten. I can't recall ever seeing roadkill in Japan, and I was in a very rural area with tons of twisty mountain roads. Tons of alive monkeys and deer, pheasants from time to time, a bear once, none of them plastered into the pavement.

First time I went to Texas I was greeted with a parade of smushed armadillos.

Americans do not give a gently caress about animals on the road, that’s for sure. I still remember the sickening “thwack!” of a van hitting a fawn right in front of me. No attempt to slow down, let alone swerve. Just “this baby animal is in my way and I GOTTA GO FAST.”

In summary, all climate catastrophe should be inflicted on America (plus most of Europe and Australia)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

but at least our microplastic friends will still make it to the sea :unsmith:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Americans do not give a gently caress about animals on the road, that’s for sure. I still remember the sickening “thwack!” of a van hitting a fawn right in front of me. No attempt to slow down, let alone swerve. Just “this baby animal is in my way and I GOTTA GO FAST.”

In summary, all climate catastrophe should be inflicted on America (plus most of Europe and Australia)

just on humans in general really

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://nitter.net/WxNB_/status/1700083931800907936#m

quote:

Nahel Belgherze
@WxNB_
The Thessalian plain in central Greece has literally turned into one enormous lake.

~70,000 hectares of land are under water.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lakes are good though, so that seems like good news.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

it's good to get the once in ten thousand year storms out of the way, now everyone can rebuild secure in the knowledge that this cannot statistically happen again which provides much needed security for the no doubt much larger populations of the future

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Make Room! Make Room!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Are we past the "stop showing me that chart" phase, or is that still in effect?

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1698410404693594417?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
avatar tower restored, my reign of hypocrisy continues

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

avatar tower restored, my reign of hypocrisy continues

You need to get on this banning collapse thing. Where we at with microplastics too? They be fucky.

C'mon, ban hammer. Rooting for ya.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the cops ran over those climate protesters outside burning man because if the hippies couldn't get in then the pigs couldn't arrest them for having fentanyl test strips (burning man is the only place in the nation they are illegal lmao)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Who was dishing out the Ebola strips then? :question:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1700298796670882232?s=46&t=NfFUqnrTGI_gdViBS3OzCg

lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao!

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1700303432924475500?s=46&t=NfFUqnrTGI_gdViBS3OzCg

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Who was dishing out the Ebola strips then? :question:

ebola is mild it turns out

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rime was right

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Are we past the "stop showing me that chart" phase, or is that still in effect?

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1698410404693594417?s=20

how is only the last three years so much higher? is this some crank poo poo?

don’t reply with a weed/meth joke

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

gummy bears?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

rime was right

yeah idk why people act like we build these things and they will last forever

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

we can burn them and make electricity

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cold on a Cob posted:

how is only the last three years so much higher? is this some crank poo poo?

don’t reply with a weed/meth joke

comedy option is bitcoin

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

i would think insects not splattering on windshields as much anymore is chiefly due to chemicals sprayed on highways like herbicide, west nile prevention, radioactive salt water, etc. and general habitat loss from development along those roads as well.
killing a billion bugs/min for a century with cars is still bad tho and not helpful.

part of it is because modern cars mostly don't have flat front surfaces for insects to impact and stick against & hydrophobic clearcoat & stuff like rain-x is more common
stuff's dying but even if it wasn't if you're in a newer car the only spot you'll find much bug is around your radiator & grill

between about 35 & 60 they'll actually kill a lot less smaller bugs(honeybee/fly sized) than older cars too, the airflow basically sweeps them out of the way if it's not a direct impact, so they're much less likely to take out entire swarms of something. still obv. doesn't help with the stuff under the tires though & cars make much less noise on approach now which makes it worse

i think an unaddressed part of this problem is the kind of assumption that animals are always crossing the road, or wandering onto it, and not that they're drawn to parts of road & hanging out on&above it because black asphalt will hold and radiate heat better than most things in most places and some animals are instinctively drawn to open, flat areas, snakes & reptiles love em for basking
i think the roads work like kinetic bug & lizard zappers more than a dangerous barrier and i think the damage caused increases with the local density of animal life and rate/speed of traffic on a curve that's more exponential than linear, i bet there's hotspots that kill a shitload of stuff, esp. in places like Florida

a lot of animals lives could prob. be saved from studies to find the most heat soaked and populated strips of road in places with vulnerable species and just shade them better or put unused asphalt or some other cheap sunlight soaking material alongside it with a plastic barrier wall alongside even portions of the roads to block some of them
it would be really easy to find the worst spots traffic & heat wise w/ thermal cameras and i bet it would make a big difference for insects and lizards/amphibians especially, but ive never seen anything focus on that angle

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i figured the massive global biodiversity loss was contributing to the global phenomenon of 99.9999999999% drops in insects impacting automobiles but I guess we somehow developed aerodynamics that means a 1980s car and a 2020s car are completely different and the 2020s car just shuffles the insects, that are definitely still there, out of the way of the cars.

Modern aerodynamics are so good that trucks the size of small houses and 20,000lb SUVs also have this insect repulsion effect. Even 18 wheelers use this technology too.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm blaming 20-30 years more brake and tire dust building up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i got these hybiscus teabags that claim no plastic on the package but if it steeps all day in my work cup and i forget to toss the bag, the bottom of the tea feels gritty...probably not plastic heh heh phew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I think we discussed this a few years ago but the roads in and of themselves breaking up land into a series of disconnected chunks is bad for insects and other living things, before you even get into the poison-treated monocrops and whizzing automobiles

Still, gently caress cars

Some shithead in a car hit my dog on purpose when I was a kid. Guess he should have been lighter so the aerodynamics would have pushed him out of the way.