Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ChairmanMauzer posted:

…most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another.
Alien (the movie): most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remulak posted:

Alien (the movie): most people are genuinely incompetent to some degree or another

I don't agree. They were space truckers but they weren't dumb and they acted in the most common sense way possible.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

ChairmanMauzer posted:

A lovely world to live in. AKA a world where Weyland-Yutani is in charge of everything.

A corporatocracy where nepotism and brown nosing gets you to the highest positions. Unless you tow the company line you get nowhere and get sued/blacklisted into obscurity.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it'll make a lot more sense if you start thinking of weyland not as a visionary space and robot pioneer but as basically musk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fatrick posted:

A corporatocracy where nepotism and brown nosing gets you to the highest positions. Unless you tow the company line you get nowhere and get sued/blacklisted into obscurity.

Where Burke is an upper level executive.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Owlbear Camus posted:

it'll make a lot more sense if you start thinking of weyland not as a visionary space and robot pioneer but as basically musk

Bingo.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

redshirt posted:

Indeed. So why crew with a ship full of morons?

Why did some billionaires go down to the Titanic in a tincan piloted by a moron?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wintermutant posted:

Why did some billionaires go down to the Titanic in a tincan piloted by a moron?

If I was Captain, it would have gone down different.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

if I were there I would have simply gotten David in a rear naked choke and made him turn the Ship around

spores would not affect me I'm built different

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sigma grindset would have ensured the Prometheus returned safely

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I feel like the film also came out around the time of peak scientist fetishisation, with all kinds of fedora tipping redditor logic nerds falling over backwards to jerk each other off about how smart and tactically sensible real cultured men of the 21st century would react in any situation, and that all scientists and engineers especially are intellectual titans incapable of any fault.

Naturally, the decade then went on to prove time and again that believing as such is the mark of an absolute rube. People are no drat good and cannot be relied on. Hell, an hour reading the OHSA thread is proof enough.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also Damon Lindelof should be exiled for his crimes. The dude can't write.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biplane posted:

Hard disagree

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Remulak posted:

Did IQs just drop sharply…

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Biplane posted:

I was pretty mad at his handling of Star Trek: Into Darkness and Prometheus but I was surprised his Watchmen tv show was genuinely good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I was pretty mad at his handling of Star Trek: Into Darkness and Prometheus but I was surprised his Watchmen tv show was genuinely good.

Same with the leftovers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Important to remember that the Nostromo is a Spartan, worn down, aged space truck and the Prometheus is like the world's first trillionaire's personal space yacht. Its like comparing a decades old cargo ship to Jeff Bezos brand new half-billion mega yacht.

I understand your point about the financiers and it would make sense if it wasn't just soooooooooooooooooooo completely different. Going from the future where the ship looks like an 80s computer and people are wearing jeans and t-shirts to just 30 years in the past where everything looks like loving Tony Stark made it was just way too much. Even Covenant died it down a bit and closed the gap to this strange reversal in progressive technology.

Prometheus and Covenant both suck anyway. It's a shame.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ChairmanMauzer posted:

....his Watchmen tv show was genuinely good.

Yup, he hit it out of the park with that one. There's good world building, good character development, the plot is interestingly bizarre, and dumps a lot of the history of racism (real and in-universe) on you. The show opens on the Tulsa Race Massacre, which surprised the hell out of people who had never heard of it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think I forgot to post this last night.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Went to a brand new bar that opened up a week or two ago that is a self-proclaimed nerd bar. They did have a laminated bar with a map of Middle Earth which I happen to have above my fireplace so I was sort of interested.

It was kind of a clusterfuck at first with the taps putting out all foam and flat beer and a bunch of alcohol issues but they were very nice and had ski-ball. And a Terminator 2 pinball machine. And an AvP game. The bartender gave me maybe 2 free pints due to all of the problems but it was a fun night. :downs:

The T2 pinball game lost a rubber band on one of the paddles when I was playing and told the owners and we were standing around for like 15 minutes on how to fix it because is some proprietary old poo poo but they had someone come like a half hour later and remove the top and replaced the paddles with new bands and gave me 3 free games.

I forgot to play this one:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Yup, he hit it out of the park with that one. There's good world building, good character development, the plot is interestingly bizarre, and dumps a lot of the history of racism (real and in-universe) on you. The show opens on the Tulsa Race Massacre, which surprised the hell out of people who had never heard of it.

I loved it too for these reasons.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

There's just no way in hell he wrote watchmen and the leftovers on his own.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biplane posted:

There's just no way in hell he wrote watchmen and the leftovers on his own.

You have it reversed. He wrote those on his own but the others he had “help”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ChairmanMauzer posted:

wait was there a different watchman TV show that came out since the bad one or something

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Owlbear Camus posted:

wait was there a different watchman TV show that came out since the bad one or something

There was an HBO miniseries that came out in 2019 that is set after the comics/movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zymgtV99Rko
It's incredibly well done & has Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross putting in some great score work too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh, Aliens: Dark Decent is back on sale for -25% or $29.99. Cheaper than last time.

Still not sure if I want it though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

Indeed. So why crew with a ship full of morons?

The canon explanation according to the Weyland-Yutani Report book is that staffing the mission was under the purview of Vickers, and she actively recruited the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to internally sabotage the mission because she hated her father and wanted him to fail.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The canon explanation according to the Weyland-Yutani Report book is that staffing the mission was under the purview of Vickers, and she actively recruited the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to internally sabotage the mission because she hated her father and wanted him to fail.

So the "We trained him wrong on purpose" defense.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's honestly a very dumb plot line if it's true.

I understand the WY choice for Gorman if that's even true, but someone hiring an entire crew of fools on a massive and giant and existentially important exploration is just so stupid.

It really just appears to me that it was a retconned explanation of why the movie was so bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I haven’t seen Covenant but in re: Prometheus, it was a bad idea to make an Alien movie that’s all about unlikable shitheads. The characters in the first three movies don’t all do the right things, they lose their heads and make mistakes, some of them are even terrible people but they still scan as humans. The point of view of the movie is fundamentally sympathetic to them. It’s about normal people finding the strength they need to survive the ultimate horror. When they fail, you’re supposed to be pity them and be horrified by their fates. That never happened for me with Prometheus because the movie too obviously has no respect for its human characters. They’re interchangeable fuckheads and even the filmmakers think they deserve to die.

Basically what I’m saying is, they should go back to making Alien movies about working stiffs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I hate to say it but at this point just stop making Alien movies. The entire universe is being slowly dumbed down and destroyed, unfortunately by Scott, the creator.

Do something new if you're going to make an Alien movie. Well poo poo, Prey, which was simple and back to the roots and fantastic. We don't need to know where the predators originated or their entire loving backstory of existence. I don't care. I like alien with big cannon on shoulder that murders people.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

skasion posted:

Basically what I’m saying is, they should go back to making Alien movies about working stiffs.

Yes more Working Joes in aliens movies :getin:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

skasion posted:

I haven’t seen Covenant but in re: Prometheus, it was a bad idea to make an Alien movie that’s all about unlikable shitheads. The characters in the first three movies don’t all do the right things, they lose their heads and make mistakes, some of them are even terrible people but they still scan as humans. The point of view of the movie is fundamentally sympathetic to them. It’s about normal people finding the strength they need to survive the ultimate horror. When they fail, you’re supposed to be pity them and be horrified by their fates. That never happened for me with Prometheus because the movie too obviously has no respect for its human characters. They’re interchangeable fuckheads and even the filmmakers think they deserve to die.

The crew of the first movie is entirely competent, dealing with something entirely unexpected.

The Marines of the second movie are competent for what they were trained/prepared for, but they got blindsided.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Yeah I think its fair to say that what really did the marines in the hive was less to do with Gorman's inexperience and disarming most of them and more the sheer misfortune that Frost just so happened to be the one carrying all the ammo and also just happened to be right on front of Dietrich when she accidentally discharged her flamethrower. Had this not been the case and she hit nothing as she was abducted, Frost and Crowe may have survived long enough to re-arm the marines, or at the very least the lack of massive explosion and chaos could mean a less disasterous retreat out of the hive.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

That still doesn't wash imo.
The dumbest pilots still got them to where they wanted to go.
The dumbest pilots landed with no problems. And took off later, and did what they intended to do to the engineer ship.
The dumbest scientists managed to load up the equipment, do everything right, and properly investigate and map out the place.
The dumbest scientists managed to bring the head back or whatever they were trying to do with it.

They did everything right, except when they needed to shoe in the dumb action pieces that they couldn't get properly write.
Take the Fiefield zombie. They could have wanted til the storm ended, then went to go get them, find the bodies, and bring them back, then Fiefield could have attacked.
But no, somehow he crabwalked a few miles, collapsed at the door and waited until someone momentarily forgot what a spacesuit and what a healthy human shape should look like.
Because they wanted to have an action sequence with the flamethrower.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah I think its fair to say that what really did the marines in the hive was less to do with Gorman's inexperience and disarming most of them and more the sheer misfortune that Frost just so happened to be the one carrying all the ammo and also just happened to be right on front of Dietrich when she accidentally discharged her flamethrower. Had this not been the case and she hit nothing as she was abducted, Frost and Crowe may have survived long enough to re-arm the marines, or at the very least the lack of massive explosion and chaos could mean a less disasterous retreat out of the hive.

Is Gorman even to blame from that initial encounter? Would a more experienced leader done anything differently?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I think I forgot to post this last night.

You also forgot to name and locate the place. A working T2 machine is a treasure.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

redshirt posted:

What kind of world is that the best people?!?!

Alien / Idiocracy crossover?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Oh, Aliens: Dark Decent is back on sale for -25% or $29.99. Cheaper than last time.

Still not sure if I want it though.

Honestly it's amazing, it plays like Aliens and even if I was a bit put off at first it truly grows on you and I ploughed through it in like 4-5 days because it was all I could think about, and it is both gorgeous and amazingly thematic in all the best ways

I think you're gonna love it, fellow Alienseer (it's what we Alien heads call each other, I think)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Is Gorman even to blame from that initial encounter? Would a more experienced leader done anything differently?

Probably not. It was a military operation and every major event that happened in the movie could not have been predicted.

The loving entire area got blown to nothing because one of their small arms ruptured the giant fusion reactor. You can't predict or anticipate or meticulously plan out something like that.

To be clear, I 100% hate fan fiction, fan theories, or any of that imaginary poo poo. Absolutely hate it. It's so dumb and you are working on the knowledge of what you are being physically presented, which other people have created and written down and had tons of stuff cut out.

You want to know the truth? Ask whoever wrote it. Not some fat nerd filled with nostalgia coming up with their own ideas of what it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mllaneza posted:

You also forgot to name and locate the place. A working T2 machine is a treasure.

The Checkpoint in Kenosha, WI.

I'd say it's a work in progress. I hope they do ok, but I don't think they'll last long. At all.