Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

celadon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_from_Nowhere

dunno if anyones read this book by jg ballard but its kinda a fun read and weather related

basically a westwardly wind starts up at a few miles an hour across the whole globe and gets steadily stronger each day, day after day. soon people cant drive, soon rivers are picked up into the air, etc. and the main characters are trying to figure out how to get to what, if anything, would be safety

He cwrote it in like 2 weeks as a widower taking care of a newborn, so it's probably his worst book. Then again Ballard's GOAT so still worthwhile. The Drought and The Crystal World are miles better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lake Charles reportedly moving eastward at 100mph, will impact Hurricane Lee midday Wednesday

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

smoobles posted:

Lake Charles reportedly moving eastward at 100mph, will impact Hurricane Lee midday Wednesday

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Petey posted:

I read something from a “weather enthusiast” on twitter last night that Lee might get so strong it plows through and changes the trough. does that make any sense at all

No. That makes no sense.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

No. That makes no sense.

Lee’s already rewriting the rules on cyclones, why not go for gold?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

being interested in weather is such a conflicting thing sometimes. on the one hand, hurricane lee is loving amazing and exciting and i want to see what it can do and how much damage it could cause at landfall. i want to joke about it scouring florida off of the world map without any guilt. kinda like katrina -- whooooa, unprecedented weather event! so loving rad!

but then you see all the heartache, chaos, and wrecked homes and lives, and it feels awful. just awful. why did i cheer on that hurricane when it ended up doing that?

i want cool weather things to happen that don't end up hurting people. like, lee staying out in the ocean is objectively the best way for it to exist and be studied.

unrelated but my cat just took a poo poo and ran into the kitchen screaming at the tops of her lungs about how good of a poo poo it was. typical goon.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

i want cool weather things to happen that don't end up hurting people.

That’s why I’m rooting for a NoVa landfall

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lee’s already rewriting the rules on cyclones, why not go for gold?

Probably not cuz there's gonna be another hurricane to the east and it's gonna attract Lee away toward to the east than going up north and west

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

Probably not cuz there's gonna be another hurricane to the east and it's gonna attract Lee away toward to the east than going up north and west

Hurricanes have gravity fields now? Calling bullshit on this one

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Lol Nova Scotia already had the biggest wildfires ever and massive flood in the last 2 months. Now maybe a cat 5 hurricane. LMAO I liked the place rip

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my cat is norris posted:

being interested in weather is such a conflicting thing sometimes. on the one hand, hurricane lee is loving amazing and exciting and i want to see what it can do and how much damage it could cause at landfall. i want to joke about it scouring florida off of the world map without any guilt. kinda like katrina -- whooooa, unprecedented weather event! so loving rad!

but then you see all the heartache, chaos, and wrecked homes and lives, and it feels awful. just awful. why did i cheer on that hurricane when it ended up doing that?

i want cool weather things to happen that don't end up hurting people. like, lee staying out in the ocean is objectively the best way for it to exist and be studied.

unrelated but my cat just took a poo poo and ran into the kitchen screaming at the tops of her lungs about how good of a poo poo it was. typical goon.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

DrHub posted:

Lol Nova Scotia already had the biggest wildfires ever and massive flood in the last 2 months. Now maybe a cat 5 hurricane. LMAO I liked the place rip

It's the universe just smacking the poo poo out of all the folks talking about how New England, the Atlantic provinces, and the GL area would ride out climate change with minimal impacts

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vesi posted:

Phoenix is supposed to burn to ashes and then be rebuilt, it's cyclical

But at least it's not wet! :getin:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/volcaholic1/status/1700099264087474378?s=20

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SourKraut posted:

But at least it's not wet! :getin:

No, it's creepy

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
good thing we stopped ghg so the oceans wont get any warmer
https://twitter.com/WeatherProf/status/1700197920023122418?s=20

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

:dudsmile:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NbergWX/status/1699870260864684267?s=20

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hurricanes talk to each other now? Calling bullshit on this one

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

NeonPunk posted:

Hurricanes talk to each other now? Calling bullshit on this one

the hurricane group chat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

took a minute to figure it out but it reminds me of Wheelie

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

what if I… put my low pressure zone … next to yours.. aha ha, just kidding…
unless..?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/53rdWRS/status/1700142461404827971?s=20
https://i.imgur.com/Ea97KLy.mp4

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

doom

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
drat I love P3 orions and hurricanes. My favorite things.

I'd ask for a ride along but 1. that's probably not a thing, if only because 2. :barf:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

nope, dont like that

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hurricanes have gravity fields now? Calling bullshit on this one

Do you believe in "gravity?"

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

what if I… put my low pressure zone … next to yours.. aha ha, just kidding…
unless..?
There it is. The hypercane.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

tuyop posted:

I hope the weather doesn't take my house already, I haven't even gotten it clean yet!

the friend you sent masks to sent me a hurricane projection along with hopes that you'll be okay! She's a meteorologist. Best wishes to ya, hopefully things change.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry