Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
yea i really dont know how anyone can look at the way the UC is portrayed and see them as anything but shiny space facists. you'd have to take the propaganda and whitewashing at face value to see them in a positive light, which is kinda the whole point of portraying them this way

trizzNPH fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

JerikTelorian posted:

I think his implicit trust in you here is because he is the only other person anyone knows to have touched one of these and gotten a weird vision from it and is euphoric to know that he isn’t some weird lunatic like people (even his collection of space explorer weirdos) think.

What is weirder to me is that Constellation as a group just kinda agrees that yeah, you definitely also saw that vision that only one person in the history of human existence can attest to. I guess they believe it because when you bring the artifact piece they see it do a bunch of magical poo poo like float in the air so all bets are off.
Barrett is above all else a chaotic good archetype: never without trust in his own judgment, even (especially) when he’s making wild decisions. He’s the clearest and most immediately recognizable type, and consequently the least bland person in the org. They chose as well as they could, putting him up front.

Constellation is edgeless and simple, but I think in large part that stems from the way it’s meant to evoke a nostalgic fantasy of American space age optimism, minus all the contexts which shaped and haunted that fantasy.

That is to say, the space race is often thought of (sometimes explicitly, mostly implicitly) as a peak in American cultural history, a time of unity and progress, more or less immediately preceding its fall into cynicism through the Vietnam war, high-profile assassinations, Watergate, etc. Of course there was always turmoil. But in the cultural imaginary, Apollo 11 and the space race could drown out everything else. There was no malaise or confusion.

Constellation tries for that spirit out of context, perhaps underestimating how crucial the turmoil beneath it was to defining it. This is not an uncommon tack in contemporary spacefaring sci fi. I made the Star Trek comparison earlier in the thread but the other major touchstone here is The Martian — I haven’t read the book, but the film adaptation at least goes hard on that specific fantasy: capable people from all across the world united to solve a crisis in a work-forward manner, going problem to problem thoughtfully but without hesitation.

You could look at The Martian and think, wait a second, would so many national and multinational bureaucracies fall into lockstep so quickly, using all this logistical power and expending all of these resources, rocket fuel, etc, over weeks at a time, all to save a single guy? Would China, previously uninvolved in the entire project to that point, come through in the clutch moment on behalf of said guy? Probably not. But they do, and they do.

That world in which everyone comes at everything like an engineer, rolling up their sleeves to Science the poo poo out of things, that’s as much the NASA-punk fantasy as Starfield’s visual design. It’s why other political factions might consider Constellation nerds or dreamers, but still basically trustworthy. They represent all of humanity, the way Stretch Armstrong did. Internally everybody relates collegially and nobody puts a hard stop on proceedings even when things get more metaphysical than they’d like, because that’s not how you Get Things Done. Everyone’s a Gould or a Sagan, nobody’s a Dawkins. Which was probably a good call, tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Who cares? It’s a video game.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It is extremely American though.

To the point where you wonder if the only people to escape earth were Americans (not impossible given all the NASA stuff everywhere).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

trizzNPH posted:

yea i really dont know how anyone can look at the way the UC is portrayed and see them as anything but shiny space facists. you'd have to take the propaganda and whitewashing at face value to see them in a positive light, which is kinda the whole point of portraying them this way

Because of the way the UC leadership seems willing to actually respond to problems once made aware in the UC storyline, I unfortunately suspect Bethesda intends you to view them as thought provoking and "possibly just made bad by a few bad apples" rather than categorically bad.

Which is not me disagreeing with your conclusion that the UC is terrible, mind, I'm just not convinced that the writers agree.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Well now I have to make a Taiyo warship in olive green and CCCP theming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a very Bethesda thing to make it so that the guaranteed companion (Vasco) isn't able to go into the temples.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Scoss posted:

I am successfully using the top DLSS mod from nexus currently with no issues. The game pass filepath is different from steam obviously but the game directory is laid out the same and I just followed the instructions.

Good to know, I will try again. Got every other mod working fine, it was just that mod that didn't want to work, even after following the instructions, but maybe I missed something.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the Freestars are run by the worst kind of capitalists and are afraid to do anything to them because it just isn't done. They also suck.

(The game clearly wants you to treat the UC and the Freestars as the two Good factions and side with one of them despite the fact they are all scum.)

The Crimson Fleet are backstabbing murderers who show no care or dignity to anyone which, ironically, makes them feel at least like they're straightforward about their lovely behavior.

Because the game is not well written and almost universally tries to paint the UC as the Good Guys who don't want you to hurt or murder people and discuss their code of honor they expect you to uphold and poo poo. You're introduced to them through your first real companion and an affable friendly guy, whereas the Crimson Fleet is introduced with you being told to murder someone and then when you step into their base you see one guy kill another over some credits.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because of the way the UC leadership seems willing to actually respond to problems once made aware in the UC storyline, I unfortunately suspect Bethesda intends you to view them as thought provoking and "possibly just made bad by a few bad apples" rather than categorically bad.

Which is not me disagreeing with your conclusion that the UC is terrible, mind, I'm just not convinced that the writers agree.

Lol come on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jeez, this game is the anti QoL game. For example, I have two groups of medikits, the big group legits ones and 2 stolen ones marked with the red icon (which is stupid because how the hell you are going to differentiate between both? whatever).
What do you think the game does when you hit the 'quick heal' key? Consume the legal one, not the stolen one, of course. That's silly, but what's bad is the next thing: if I open the inventory and specifically click on the stolen one to heal myself consuming it, it doesn't use it, it uses one of the 'legal' group. Maddening!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

No, they do the covert crap stuff too. They're all business people pretending to be cowboys. Like their leading council is full of utter power-mad shitheads and the closest thing they have to any kind of 'helpful' people are less than a dozen people for every planet in the system, each of which is told to just let anything that might cause loss of profits to slide.

Like gently caress even the Ranger questline is just mission after mission of "gently caress you, newbie, stop being loving stupid, of course we're not going to actually solve any problems, how dare you accuse the obviously guilty person of anything don't you know how rich they are?"

Yeah the Ryujin questline showed that the Freestar collective is just as chock full of corporate control as the UC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Welp, I’ve started getting repeating POI bases. And there doesn’t seem to be much variation, besides the loot.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

imo this game rules. we got a new bethesda game with lots of cool poo poo and it is stable. the modders can add other stuff later.
I am a bit sad that they won't be releasing a gamepass version of starfield script extender, but that just means I will have to rebuy the game on steam at some point in the future.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

trizzNPH posted:

Because the actual writing doesn't back that up. They are presented as 'hard choices' who can be convinced that working with other groups and doing the right thing is absolutely okay and they even praise and reward you for like exposing their lovely secret ops. Freestar is the same where the writing doesn't actually want to make you dislike them so you can go in and shoot one of their leaders in the loving face and everyone just goes "Huh well ok" despite nearly making GBS threads themselves earlier at the idea of saying something mean.

If you look at the actual world they set up, yes, the UC Is a loving monster atrocity and you'd be right to burn them to the ground. In actuality the worst you can do is kind of upset some people while everyone on both sides tries super hard to go "I hate those guys but MAYBE they're not as bad as I think."

Private Speech posted:

Is that better or worse than some of the "research" UC did though? Not like UC cares about the common man either way, see the well and new atlantis, cydonia, new homestead, etc.

Freestar just seems like standard space capitalism with pretensions of rural life to me, which is better than fascism.

If you look into it? Yes, absolutely. They have an incredibly bloody history and a lot of raw scumminess under the hood. Both they and the UC are tediously painted as "making hard choices" in slightly different flavors.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

Who cares? It’s a video game.

ok grandpa

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is the blandest poo poo I've ever experienced even beating my diet after surgery

GOTY?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rinkles posted:

Welp, I’ve started getting repeating POI bases. And there doesn’t seem to be much variation, besides the loot.

The way probabilities work it's likely you'll see repetitions long before you see all of them, but yeah they're mostly the same (but IMO still more varied than Skyrims cave/ruin/tomb trifecta).

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So for that Burden of Prood quest, I just teleported all the evidence to me and turned them in.

I missed like 75% of the evidence.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Constellation is edgeless and simple, but I think in large part that stems from the way it’s meant to evoke a nostalgic fantasy of American space age optimism, minus all the contexts which shaped and haunted that fantasy.

this part in particular is funny to me because starfield is fallout in the other direction

instead of nostalgia for a dead world that never existed, it's optimism for a future that might exist

the vibe actually does resonate with me, not least because a) optimism is cooler than cynicism and b) Bethesdas efforts with fallout were trash garbage compared to 1, 2, or NV

specifically, I can accept their surface level vision of our NASA future more readily than I could accept their offensively anodyne vision of what fallout represented

it is possible the quest stories will surprise me with some interesting viewpoints or ideas about this future, but I doubt it :v:

and I'm generally ok with that, as an "original IP" it doesn't carry the creative baggage that they had with either fallout or post Morrowind (kirkbride? though he still consulted) elder scrolls

which is to say, it's a Bethesda rear end Bethesda vision of the future, and I can more easily enjoy their flavor of vanilla when I'm not wondering where the snarky fallout is, or the insanity of CHIM

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Before release, Todd Howard mentioned how they used Traveller as their main inspiration. So, having inherited a massive set from a passed relative, I started digging into it out of interest. The system is neat, and I can see where they were 'inspired by,' especially 2300AD.

But where it really misses is in how well Traveller handles the massive expense of spaceship ownership and operation. There's almost no expense to speak of and buying and building new ones is relatively cheap - it'd be like pawning a few old car stereos in trade for a brand new Semi that never needs gas. The whole economy in Starfield feels completely tacked-on and low-effort - people will randomly just hand you $2,000 while you're walking down the street for being you. Money means so little and is so easy to come by that it undercuts any struggles the various characters are going through as the result of not having any.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Kaddish posted:

So for that Burden of Prood quest, I just teleported all the evidence to me and turned them in.

I missed like 75% of the evidence.

Can you give some hints for who you can implicate? I managed to get like 3 people in jail but I assume it is many more.
Edit: I should have just googled, here it is in case anyone else is looking for it: https://gamerant.com/starfield-all-evidence-burden-of-proof/

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Private Speech posted:

It is extremely American though.

To the point where you wonder if the only people to escape earth were Americans (not impossible given all the NASA stuff everywhere).
That Paradiso quest suggests that either Yiddish is a dead language in the settled systems or at least my Neon street rat's ears has never heard it before. So if only Americans escaped Earth then uh...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mark me down as a guy who also appreciates the optimism in this game and the hilariously stark contrast my murder sprees have against it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Private Speech posted:

The way probabilities work it's likely you'll see repetitions long before you see all of them, but yeah they're mostly the same (but IMO still more varied than Skyrims cave/ruin/tomb trifecta).

I wish they found a way of adding some permutability (I haven’t seen any yet, anyway), like what Prey Mooncrash did to add variety to runs.

Skyrim dungeons did feel interchangeable after a while, but I don’t think any (or many ) were literal copies. There was usually something unique.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

BULBASAUR posted:

somebody had a guide for cheesing fitness, what was it again?

thunderspanks posted:

If anyone is thinking of maxing out fitness but doesn't want to deal with the insane grind of doing almost 200 full o2 depletions for the challenges, here's a tip:
go to your ship, unequip anything that boosts o2 and stand by a bed.
load the gently caress up on as much stuff as you can, get that encumbrance as high as possible.
turn off "autosave on sleep".
Sprint into the wall or bed until o2 is depleted and co2 is full- a lot of people are complaining about the challenge not working but that's because you must max (or maybe a a hair before it's maxed out) for it to trigger.
Sleep for 1 hour- immediate full recovery of o2.
repeat.

It'll still take some time, I think it took me the better part of an hour to get to level 4. Just queued up some youtube on my other monitor and after a few mins muscle memory took care of the rest. Now I can sprint for what feels like minutes at a time! (I also took alien DNA though which adds a bunch)

edit: while it's not as good as having a not lovely storage system, maxing out fitness really helps with the encumberance penalties, too

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 8, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

this part in particular is funny to me because starfield is fallout in the other direction

instead of nostalgia for a dead world that never existed, it's optimism for a future that might exist

the vibe actually does resonate with me, not least because a) optimism is cooler than cynicism and b) Bethesdas efforts with fallout were trash garbage compared to 1, 2, or NV

specifically, I can accept their surface level vision of our NASA future more readily than I could accept their offensively anodyne vision of what fallout represented

it is possible the quest stories will surprise me with some interesting viewpoints or ideas about this future, but I doubt it :v:

and I'm generally ok with that, as an "original IP" it doesn't carry the creative baggage that they had with either fallout or post Morrowind (kirkbride? though he still consulted) elder scrolls

which is to say, it's a Bethesda rear end Bethesda vision of the future, and I can more easily enjoy their flavor of vanilla when I'm not wondering where the snarky fallout is, or the insanity of CHIM

See, I don't get this at all.

There's like no optimism to be found in the world in the slightest. Earth is a ruined hellhole and humanity went to the stars and instantly splinted into Fash, LiberCap and Religious Zealots and had a galactic war involving mechanical weapons of mass destruction vs bio-engineered death beasts. The world is largely stagnant and terrible with most people living in absolute poo poo conditions under horrible rulers and unlike Fallout there's not even any meaningful way to improve their lot in life.

poo poo the biggest icon of hope in the game, the Artifact turns out to just be part of an multiversal Battle Royale where the biggest sociopaths in the universe get hold of godlike powers and then are encouraged to go to other universes to continue building up their power, even the 'good' ones.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

This goes back to my critique that the game isn't taking into account that many locations are in vacuum and thus, you shouldn't be able to hear gunfire or footsteps. Still need to formally test this since I have Sarah with me and I usually encounter pirates inside places with no room to maneuver. I suppose if you kill one at least they might have something that alerts his squad, like how when you shoot Combine in Half Life 2 they make that boooo-beeeeeep noise and their dispatch calls out unit down.

Cut to Sarah walking around on a 0% oxygen moon without a spacesuit

Thinking about it, all the space stuff would be a lot more evocative if they actually gave a poo poo about sound design in general for places without atmosphere, the sealed helmets you're constantly wearing, etc.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If you like your current spaceship, don't do the Mantis sidequest. Especially if your ship is unregistered, as it will delete the contents of your hold on completion.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I think the sound design is pretty weak in the game overall.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I think the sound design is pretty weak in the game overall.

Everything about it is weak

At all times as I run around the environments in the game I just wish the time were spent on the next TES game instead

Even the skyboxes in this game are terrible.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Holy crap this game looks 100x better with those hideous washed out color filters disabled.

Who the gently caress added those in and said to themselves "yes, this is definitely an improvement." Jesus.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

If you like your current spaceship, don't do the Mantis sidequest. Especially if your ship is unregistered, as it will delete the contents of your hold on completion.

? My cargo transferred over to the mantis w/ no issue

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ImpAtom posted:

Because the actual writing doesn't back that up. They are presented as 'hard choices' who can be convinced that working with other groups and doing the right thing is absolutely okay and they even praise and reward you for like exposing their lovely secret ops. Freestar is the same where the writing doesn't actually want to make you dislike them so you can go in and shoot one of their leaders in the loving face and everyone just goes "Huh well ok" despite nearly making GBS threads themselves earlier at the idea of saying something mean.

If you look at the actual world they set up, yes, the UC Is a loving monster atrocity and you'd be right to burn them to the ground. In actuality the worst you can do is kind of upset some people while everyone on both sides tries super hard to go "I hate those guys but MAYBE they're not as bad as I think."

If you look into it? Yes, absolutely. They have an incredibly bloody history and a lot of raw scumminess under the hood. Both they and the UC are tediously painted as "making hard choices" in slightly different flavors.

:psyduck:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

oswald ownenstein posted:

Everything about it is weak

At all times as I run around the environments in the game I just wish the time were spent on the next TES game instead

Begging people on my hands and knees to stop playing games they hate

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Im basically just waiting for the initial blastwave of players to go by. people who hate the game will move on, mods will be aplenty, dlc will be coming, peace on earth in our time

also, were you a facepuncher?? i cant msg you but name is hella familiar

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Holy crap this game looks 100x better with those hideous washed out color filters disabled.

Who the gently caress added those in and said to themselves "yes, this is definitely an improvement." Jesus.

What mod are you using for that, on that note?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

trizzNPH posted:

? My cargo transferred over to the mantis w/ no issue

I had a recently stolen ship that was unregistered and it deleted/ moved somewhere all of the cargo.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

DaysBefore posted:

I don't hate the game, it's just really weak.

I've enjoyed everything they've put out - except stuff like Battlespire and Reguard, and of course 76 - but Fallout 3/4 were great, and I loved Oblivion even when this forum poo poo on it 24/7 a decade ago.

It's just weak and I'm disappointed and constantly finding new things to be disappointed about

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oswald ownenstein posted:

i have found that where you land on a body has little, if any, impact on the skybox and it drives me fuckin insane

i land on the side of a moon facing its parent planet to try and get a nice view of the gas giant it is orbiting and it isn't there, then i land in 20 other spots including poles and still can't see it, it's annoying. in fact i've not found a single moon that's the closest to its gas giant parent in which you can actually see said gas giant from any location on its surface. i wanna build a nice outpost to admire the views, starfield, c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

See, I don't get this at all.

There's like no optimism to be found in the world in the slightest.

someone hasn't stumbled across the singing starship :colbert:

(or the magic school bus, lord I wonder how many more comedy one shots are in this)

quote:

poo poo the biggest icon of hope in the game, the Artifact turns out to just be part of an multiversal Battle Royale where the biggest sociopaths in the universe get hold of godlike powers and then are encouraged to go to other universes to continue building up their power, even the 'good' ones.

that's just the diegetic insertion of us as players into Starfield the video game :v: