Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
<watching the post-apocalyptic episode of Family Guy while drinking Diet Coke>

"This horror can't come to pass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87RqbumdrCY

Not seen it yet. Could be good! Solod has a meltdown about tech stuff

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Burns posted:

I think UA needs to consider switching to other communications systems seeing as Starlink is basically compromised.

They knew about it when it happened, so ... I'm sure it's been under consideration

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean was he instructed to turn it off? Doubt it, but did he think less of screwing about with it - maybe take some joy in it - because he's hopped up on the conservative brainworms he's rewarded for supplying to everyone else?

This Something Awful Poster finds it plausible?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Burns posted:

I think UA needs to consider switching to other communications systems seeing as Starlink is basically compromised.

they didnt use starlink for no reason lol, its capabilities are not easily replicated

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

they didnt use starlink for no reason lol, its capabilities are not easily replicated

You can compensate for compromised network, if you are aware that your network is compromised. Its not ideal of course but you basically should treat all networks as compromised on a hot war if you are not United States.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean was he instructed to turn it off? Doubt it, but did he think less of screwing about with it - maybe take some joy in it - because he's hopped up on the conservative brainworms he's rewarded for supplying to everyone else?

This Something Awful Poster finds it plausible?

to be clear:

the way this broke publicly is Musk told a reporter very recently that he, on his own personal initiative, decided what was happening near and around Ukraine was too close to a line that he personally felt would cause Russia to seriously consider retaliating with nuclear weapons. he ordered starlink disabled in the affected area to prevent the steps he thought would result in nuclear war from being taken.

per his own claims, he did this entirely on his own. this is generally supported by:
1) him proposing multiple "peace plans" that amount to "ukraine can gently caress off"
2) him being an authoritarian bootlicker in the past
3) him turning twitter into a right-wing shithole over the last few years
4) over those same last few years, proving again and again that he is a deeply, deeply, deeply stupid man who desperately wants to feel smart and important.

as far as the DoD is concerned, they already demanded that their own deployment of starlink tech be done on their terms and under their whole and unshared control. that was opening negotiations. so they won't care directly, the two system are not directly comparable.

the justice department may very well take issue with the matter, but they are currently busy prosecuting insurrectionists and traitors, so taking up the case of someone who materially aided and abetted a US strategic rival may need to wait a year or two.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Coolguye posted:

the justice department may very well take issue with the matter, but they are currently busy prosecuting insurrectionists and traitors, so taking up the case of someone who materially aided and abetted a US strategic rival may need to wait a year or two.

There's no federal statute against abandoning customers or refusing to provide services outside US jurisdiction so Justice would have no standing.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

?????????
this is an even more bizarre cope compared even to the cope tires

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

air defense wont work unless the tech priests soothe the machine spirits

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
placebo air defense

Burns posted:

There were some recent reports of Satcube satellite internet terminals delivered to Ukraine, but Starlink terminals are provided in such numbers that it will take time to deliver anything else in comparable quantities

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
Does anyone know what these drones were aiming at and may have destroyed? Wikipedia lists frigates, diesel electric submarines, landing craft and small craft as makeup of the Sevastopol based fleet but nothing that would seemingly warrant nuclear retaliation. They sank the Moskva, after all, albeit in international waters iirc.

Maybe Elon had a yacht parked next door.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

tiaz posted:

Starlink almost certainly has this capability by virtue of how it works, though I don' t know if they've built in tooling to make it easy. Low earth orbit means the satellite can only "see" a relatively small horizon of about 2500km. That sounds like a lot but remember that's the absolute limit: for it to be usefully high and unobstructed in the sky for your terminal to talk to it, it'll have to be closer than that, and at orbital speed the satellite will cross that entire 2500km in a few minutes. Even if you did away with signal strength calculations entirely, "what satellite is this terminal talking to?" can relatively quickly (I'm guessing 20-60m so you see a number of satellite transits) give you a pretty good idea of where it is. With signal strength over time it'll be even faster, because you can tell when the satellite was probably closest to the terminal.

It's much more precise than that. All transceivers in the system are directional (phased array antennas), the earth's surface is divided into ~24km wide hexagonal cells, and the satellites point their beams at the center of the appropriate cell. So the system needs to know the location of every receiver at ~24km accuracy to be able to talk to them. Signal strength is near zero at 15km away from the center of the cell being aimed at, which is what gets them their great aggregate bandwidth, because they can do SDMA, and reuse the same frequencies for clients that are only two cells away from each other.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Huggybear posted:

Does anyone know what these drones were aiming at and may have destroyed? Wikipedia lists frigates, diesel electric submarines, landing craft and small craft as makeup of the Sevastopol based fleet but nothing that would seemingly warrant nuclear retaliation. They sank the Moskva, after all, albeit in international waters iirc.

Maybe Elon had a yacht parked next door.

Most likely Elon wanted to "disrupt the world politics" as all rear end in a top hat silicon valley types do, and be the one who brokers the peace by saving few Russian auxiliary ships and somehow convince the Ukrainians to give up the land and/or Putin to stop the war.

The guy is an idiot. He did it because he could, and saw a Nobel Peace prize in his drug-fueled hallucinations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean I'd think if the law isn't capable of punishing someone for giving military aid to a foreign dictator then the law could be changed.

But USA put a bunch of senile founder-priests in charge of it and told them to interpret an ancient text so...

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tuna-Fish posted:

It's much more precise than that. All transceivers in the system are directional (phased array antennas), the earth's surface is divided into ~24km wide hexagonal cells, and the satellites point their beams at the center of the appropriate cell. So the system needs to know the location of every receiver at ~24km accuracy to be able to talk to them. Signal strength is near zero at 15km away from the center of the cell being aimed at, which is what gets them their great aggregate bandwidth, because they can do SDMA, and reuse the same frequencies for clients that are only two cells away from each other.

Ah, thank you for the greater detail! Even the worst case I described would be pretty quick, but this is almost as good as the terminal submitting its own gps fix when it comes online.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

the popes toes posted:

There's no federal statute against abandoning customers or refusing to provide services outside US jurisdiction so Justice would have no standing.

Does Musk still have security clearances for SpaceX? Revoking those would seem like an obvious step, seeing how he's openly collaborating with hostile powers.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Musk can't gently caress off soon enough.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Der Kyhe posted:

Most likely Elon wanted to "disrupt the world politics" as all rear end in a top hat silicon valley types do, and be the one who brokers the peace by saving few Russian auxiliary ships and somehow convince the Ukrainians to give up the land and/or Putin to stop the war.

The guy is an idiot. He did it because he could, and saw a Nobel Peace prize in his drug-fueled hallucinations.

That plus Russian and Chinese money.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Use rubbers for protection :chaostrump:

the popes toes posted:

Pretty sure the DoD has some clauses pertaining to national security that could be invoked if they really wanted to get out in the open with it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Does Musk still have security clearances for SpaceX? Revoking those would seem like an obvious step, seeing how he's openly collaborating with hostile powers.

Security clearance for private companies depends on need and the ability to pass certification. Elong doesn't need a clearance actually, if SpaceX is processing classified but the engineers accessing whatever network is "classified" would. But it's probably a low clearance, like "confidential" unless they are working on nat security products, in which case it would be "secret". But again, Elong doesn't need the clearance. The USG can simply choose not to renew contracts, of course.

Mistle posted:

Pretty sure the DoD has some clauses pertaining to national security that could be invoked if they really wanted to get out in the open with it.
DOD has no jurisdiction regarding civilians. Again, they could just choose not to renew contracts.

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 8, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Disco Pope posted:

Look, I'm not beyond nuclear anxiety, but the dumbest thing here is that Elon was definitely a manipulatable asset because he'd been smoking weed and playing Fallout 4.

The problem is that it isn't just Musk who's easily manipulateable. It's a lot of "experts" who think that Ukraine is failing and need to start negotiating. There was one guy who said that Ukraine shouldn't get F-16's because they could be used in Crimea

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Some real characters here

It was mostly before my time, but am I wrong to think classic era Rush despised Russians? Some of his old quotes are pretty unequivocal

El Rushbo posted:

Peace can’t be achieved by “developing an understanding” with the Russian people.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Aleks Jjzhōnss

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the popes toes posted:

yeah that's

that's definitely the net effect that's happened here

definitely

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aid and comfort, baby.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

yeah that's

that's definitely the net effect that's happened here

definitely

Well, what statute/law do you propose he's violated, specifically? Genuinely curious if you can point to some, or are you just going on visceral gut feeling here

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Well, what statute/law do you propose he's violated, specifically? Genuinely curious if you can point to some, or are you just going on visceral gut feeling here

If those sets were ordered by the government for the sole use in Ukraine, at least breach of that contract?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Flavahbeast posted:

Some real characters here

It's really funny how the Russians overtly taunt the right wingers in America yet the right wingers are too loving stupid to pick up on it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

If those sets were ordered by the government for the sole use in Ukraine, at least breach of that contract?

The Sevastopol service denial situation that occurred happened before they had signed contracts with the US DOD to supply unrestricted terminals. I'd also suggest that the success of drone boat attacks on the Kerch and the attempted strikes into the Sevastopol port in the last few months can be directly attributed to those unrestricted, non-geofenced terminals that the DOD supplied to Ukraine.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Karate Bastard posted:

Move aside grandin we have more shriveled balls to nuke

:canada: standing down

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mederlock posted:

the Logan act seems like it would apply

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

pro starcraft loser posted:

It's really funny how the Russians overtly taunt the right wingers in America yet the right wingers are too loving stupid to pick up on it.

Is that Solovyov loving with him? I just assumed it was genuine praise

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mederlock posted:

It doesn't have to be legally actionable, he could just have... a mysterious FSD accident.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mederlock posted:

18 U.S. Code § 953 - Private correspondence with foreign governments. aka the logan act. it's not used often because frankly nobody is loving dumb enough to do what's talked about therein but in the 1850s some rich rear end in a top hat got indicted on it because he sent a letter to a mexican politician and undermined a US treaty currently under negotiation. a rich man with a politicized interest undermined a US effort by pulling private strings. very similar to what musk has done.

does it actually apply? hell i dunno i'm not a lawyer. frankly the fact that you thought it was appropriate to ask this question is hilarious, an act of poor faith and stupidity only topped by me giving it an honest answer from my background reading that had nothing to do with law. but there's a US interest in ukraine, that is undeniable, and elon musk just admitted publicly that he's hosed around with it, that also is undeniable. i'd say that it's more appropriate for you to give a cohesive defense as to why he's got nothing to worry about.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Coolguye posted:

18 U.S. Code § 953 - Private correspondence with foreign governments. aka the logan act. it's not used often because....
The Logan Act has never been used.

Burns
May 10, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

It doesn't have to be legally actionable, he could just have... a mysterious FSD accident.

I am sure whatever Elon's end will take form it will be exceedingly ironic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the popes toes posted:

The Logan Act has never been used.

untrue, it's been used twice

now if you said it hasn't been used since the civil war youd be correct

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

evilweasel posted:

untrue, it's been used twice

now if you said it hasn't been used since the civil war youd be correct

Ah. Apologies. But was a successful conviction obtained as a result of the Act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the popes toes posted:

Ah. Apologies. But was a successful conviction obtained as a result of the Act?

Nope.