Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Watching again and I noticed the damage Garp does to Marry isn't fixed. Establishing that the crew does not have someone with the skill set need to maintain their ship....:smith:

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
They have someone who can cobble together temporary fixes though. I don't recall the manga having Usopp working in a shipyard at all, so if not, nice to see they added that detail here to explain why he has any carpentry skill at all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Unfortunately, he's a poo poo and barnacle technician, not a shipwright.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hope we get an extremely lovely patch for it in season 2

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I Am Fowl posted:

Unfortunately, he's a poo poo and barnacle technician, not a shipwright.

Exactly. He fixes the Going Merry like someone who has watched a shipwright work while cleaning poop. Or like how I would fix a ship after watching a YouTube tutorial.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

side_burned posted:

Watching again and I noticed the damage Garp does to Marry isn't fixed. Establishing that the crew does not have someone with the skill set need to maintain their ship....:smith:

is this a thing that matters in the One Piece universe? Because I'm pretty sure they don't even have enough people to man the ship if they're gonna get at all technical about it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It matters for the merry specifically. It's a member of the crew.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

is this a thing that matters in the One Piece universe? Because I'm pretty sure they don't even have enough people to man the ship if they're gonna get at all technical about it.
Not to give away any specifics, but yes. Certain things get handwaved away for fun, like how hard it would be for five people to man a ship like that, but other practical things are relevant for the sake of a good story. This world may be cartoony, but it adheres to its own rules, and what matters and what doesn't feels carefully chosen to create certain emotions.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
God imagine if it got far enough for it to matter

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Phenotype posted:

One Piece Manga spoilers: I got like, a full flashback from this. I was back there, crying.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Generally speaking, for this thread in particular, if people are mentioning a particular bit of foreshadowing, it's a pretty safe bet that it's going to be a very important plot point way down the line (though there's a high chance that it's a point that the live-action is unlikely to ever reach).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, it'd need to get to maybe season 4 in order to reach that particular plot point, even if the live action show covered one major Grand Line arc per season.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm enjoying the show, though after episode 5, I believe people in One Piece don't understand unconsciousness. It's like the opposite of CollegeHumor Batman not understanding death.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it works differently in the OP universe

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

RE: Fish eye lense

I found myself appreciating it more often than not. When they do a fish eye closeup of a strawhat pirate, it convincingly conveys a sense of cartoon portrait to them for me.

But also I appreciated when I think they used it in a brief scene of Nami running toward the camera near the end there. I was thinking if they didn't do it the way they did, she would necessarily look slow. Seemed like a smart way to make her look like she was going cartoonish quickly naturally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone crashed into my car today and totaled it and at the moment of the crash I was listening to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flysqk6WfQE

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Someone crashed into my car today and totaled it and at the moment of the crash I was listening to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flysqk6WfQE

drat, hope you’re okay!

The brand synergy they have right now is on point. This show got me to buy One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 since they had a sale going for it, and both of them have me thinking about rereading some select chapters. Not crazy enough to do a full reread cause it is looooong, but maybe some favorites.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

plowed through this show yesterday it rocks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't watched episode 8 yet but I have to ask, am I missing something with this fishman racism plot? The guys speaking up against racism are all portrayed as ruthless gangsters who want to enslave the world in retribution and are accompanied by hiphop beats every time they're on-screen?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I haven't watched episode 8 yet but I have to ask, am I missing something with this fishman racism plot? The guys speaking up against racism are all portrayed as ruthless gangsters who want to enslave the world in retribution and are accompanied by hiphop beats every time they're on-screen?

Hard to answer without spoilers, even if episode 8, but yeah, it goes waaaaaay deeper later in the series. Like super later, though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Yes, the fish men shown in Arlong Park are pirates that are bad people, and they are also victims of racism. There are fish men elsewhere in the world who are just normal people living their lives and there are also fish men who are heroes.

It is explored very much in depth several times later on in the plot, but I'd be shocked if we get that far with Netflix seasons because the budget would have to be insane because of the special effects needed.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

In the anime Arlong talks mostly about how fishmen are better than humans. It's clear that humans mistreat fishmen but Arlong doesn't lean on it as a justification like he does in the live action.

The live action comes a little too close to a reverse racism theme that's not as present in the anime/manga (at least in this arc, I haven't seen the whole thing). It's one of the very small number of problems with the show.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The writers of the show definitely have seen up through the recent arcs from the manga. They’ve integrated some stuff that makes a bit more sense knowing more about the fishmen’s history. They may have wanted to explore further in this version, but time constraints on the episodes probably prevented them from it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

HPanda posted:

The writers of the show definitely have seen up through the recent arcs from the manga. They’ve integrated some stuff that makes a bit more sense knowing more about the fishmen’s history. They may have wanted to explore further in this version, but time constraints on the episodes probably prevented them from it.

It's this. I honestly really like that they did stuff like that and integrated stuff we learn later but Oda maybe hadn't come up with originally. It fleshes everything out nicely.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But I can definitely see how it looks weirder to someone unfamiliar with future events.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah it technically makes the world more cohesive but it might have honestly been a mistake to mention the Fishmen slavery plot point this early because it comes off way different when there are no sympathetic fishmen characters yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, that makes sense. Glad to hear it's not as bad as it appears from episode 7, but it does seem a little odd in today's political climate to include that as a first look at that part of the world in a version of the series that isn't guaranteed to see the resolution of it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 12, 2023

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

the comic hasn't really resolved it either. it's just addressed it MORE.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, that makes sense. Glad to hear it's not as bad as it appears from episode 7, but it does seem a little odd to include as a first look at that part of the world in a version of the series that isn't guaranteed to see the resolution of it in today's political climate.
I kind of agree. This adaptation played up the sympathetic aspects that we only learned later in the source material, but also kept the fact that they were purely monstrous villains in their actions. In the manga it was an interesting recontextualization that didn't need to directly square with the visceral evil of Arlong, since it had been ten years since we had seen that evil when we learned the nuance.

Clearly the intent, and the way it plays in the original story is "here are some monsters... or are they? Ten years later you'll discover they're victims of heinous oppression, and their malevolence did not come from nowhere."

But when you give just enough of their backstory to touch on that sympathy, but not enough to let us understand the oppression, it comes off dangerously close to, "these people who complain about imagined oppression are actually cruel hypocritical monsters."

That is an issue considering the chances of actually getting to the proper Fishman story is vanishingly small. At this point in the manga/anime we did just think they were basically just monsters. There wasn't really any nuance until much later.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Some more detailed thoughts:
  • Zoro is the B99 meme that's just "I met Luffy 30 minutes ago and if anything ever happened to him I would kill everyone in this room and then myself"
  • really puts a fine point on Disney's reluctance to let Ms. Marvel use stretchy powers for silly ha ha times
  • also puts a fine point on the incredibly bad acting of all the women in the LA Cowboy Bebop. Nami is a much better realised Girl Character than they managed with Faye or Julia in that shitbag show - her actress does an incredible job of communicating tension, grief, being closed off, violently suppressing emotion. Really, I don't know much about acting as a craft, but the character has incredible pathos in this show and half of it is the actor
  • why does the clown whip so much rear end
  • the wanted poster interactions are tight as hell
  • I can say this as a home of sexual: Mihawk might be the cuntiest cartoon man I have ever seen
  • Can't believe Luffy did a slide deck presentation to venture capital on "this is why you should give me a boat"
My brain did have a moment of "what are we doing" re: fishman racism, and are Marines cops, or who are the cops, or what is actually the police situation here. Tried to remember this is an anime written in the 90s for children where everyone wears their thoughts on the outside. But I wouldn't blame people for being turned off about it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
"Local law enforcement" in OP basically only ever amounts to a local militia, or the army of a reigning kingdom, the latter of which do exist in East Blue but aren't really relevant until later on; they visit a few on the Grand Line. The Marines are basically worldwide seacops though, yeah. Most of the OP world is ocean, so the only armed forces the World Government employ (openly, at least) are the Marines.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My very first SA avatar was buggy the clown, and I wore him proudly for years even before he came back years later in the story to be cumulatively increasingly awesome with every appearance

Buggy is my favorite non-strawhat even now

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Also worth saying, not in the least as a girl often in despair, the scene where Nami asks Luffy to help her is really beautiful. Both actors knock it out of the park, and also god drat, what a cool thing that I surely must take for granted in media if it surprised me so much: someone in a genuinely desperate situation asks point blank for help and then someone else says, hell yeah. No ego, no questions asked. Possibly this is a credit to Luffy as a character, I guess. There's nothing cloying or condescending about it. Hard to describe why I liked it so much, but it really moved me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There are indeed normal police officers in the One Piece world but we get no elaboration on them beyond the fact that a future character was once one.

Doc Fission posted:

• why does the clown whip so much rear end

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Doc Fission posted:

Also worth saying, not in the least as a girl often in despair, the scene where Nami asks Luffy to help her is really beautiful. Both actors knock it out of the park, and also god drat, what a cool thing that I surely must take for granted in media if it surprised me so much: someone in a genuinely desperate situation asks point blank for help and then someone else says, hell yeah. No ego, no questions asked. Possibly this is a credit to Luffy as a character, I guess. There's nothing cloying or condescending about it. Hard to describe why I liked it so much, but it really moved me.

It's basically the ultimate Luffy Moment early on, the thing that immediately illustrates his character and how he works. One of the most moving early moments in every version of the story and I'm glad it resonated just as well with you as it did with me who knew it was coming. It's really excellent stuff.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lmfao its so funny
and no, the later parts of the story do not make this choice any less weird

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Invictus posted:

My very first SA avatar was buggy the clown, and I wore him proudly for years even before he came back years later in the story to be cumulatively increasingly awesome with every appearance

Buggy is my favorite non-strawhat even now

I'd agree except for one other character: (manga/anime spoilers) Bon Clay/Mr. 2 exists and they're the most clutch friend in the world and they rule.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The Luffy/Nami scene is definitely one of the most emotional in the anime/manga. I think the other two of my top 3 for the entire series would be the end of Alabaster and Robin at Ennies Lobby. One Piece hits hard sometimes.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpartanIvy posted:

The Luffy/Nami scene is definitely one of the most emotional. I think the other two of my top 3 would be the end of Alabaster and Robin at Ennies Lobby. One Piece hits hard sometimes.

I'm up to date on the manga but just as a note for those who aren't, this post is about the manga/anime and not Top 3 moments of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doc Fission posted:

this is generally agreed to be one of if not THE main scene of the series that "sold" it to most people reading the manga or watching the anime. Arlong Park in general is great but that scene is so perfectly done, and it's only the first of many incredible emotional beats