Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

Speaking of incumbents: Nancy Pelosi is running again despite being 83 goddamn years old and despite using a promise to step aside to win over objectors during the 2020 House speaker election. I can only assume that she's interpreting "limit my time to four years" as including nonconsecutive speakerships. Grover Cleveland would be proud

She's running for re-election for her seat to congress, but not leadership.

She promised to step aside from leadership, but never promised not to run for re-election again. People kind of assumed that she might retire because she is old and stepped down, but she is apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Dudes are weird.

Between 1/3 to half of men are extremely uncomfortable showing any emotion or affection to another man, but men are WAY more comfortable being naked with another man than a woman would be with a naked woman.

13% of men age 18-25 said they would be very uncomfortable saying "I love you" to a romantic partner.

I love the 4% of men who would not be comfortable eating food with another male friend at a restaurant.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1700091582769152001

My completely unscientific opinion on the changing room gender imbalance is that, per my wife and other women I've asked, young women in the locker room are highly unlikely to be exposed to a ~50 year old using the hair dryer to blow dry their genitals. Old people sitting naked on a bench in front of the locker for 10 minutes, leaking their juices all over everything? Universal experience. But Young Nudity-Shy Zachack had his illusions about modesty and propriety shattered when he witnessed a dude with his leg up on a counter, gym hair dryer blasting away at his balls, in front of everyone.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

haveblue posted:

Speaking of incumbents: Nancy Pelosi is running again despite being 83 goddamn years old and despite using a promise to step aside to win over objectors during the 2020 House speaker election. I can only assume that she's interpreting "limit my time to four years" as including nonconsecutive speakerships. Grover Cleveland would be proud

She's running for Congress not for speaker

EDIT: The article even literally says:

quote:

According to a person familiar with Pelosi’s thinking about her 2024 decision, Pelosi believes democracy hangs in the balance in the upcoming election as she works to reelect Biden and make Jeffries the next House speaker

Riptor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 8, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zachack posted:

My completely unscientific opinion on the changing room gender imbalance is that, per my wife and other women I've asked, young women in the locker room are highly unlikely to be exposed to a ~50 year old using the hair dryer to blow dry their genitals. Old people sitting naked on a bench in front of the locker for 10 minutes, leaking their juices all over everything? Universal experience. But Young Nudity-Shy Zachack had his illusions about modesty and propriety shattered when he witnessed a dude with his leg up on a counter, gym hair dryer blasting away at his balls, in front of everyone.

Why would old man ball drying make men more comfortable being naked with other men while women have such high levels of discomfort changing around other women? Old man testicle exposure therapy completely desensitizing a large chunk of men?

This poll also destroys all my illusions that Porky's was a documentary and all women love hanging out together in changing/locker rooms.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Why would old man ball drying make men more comfortable being naked with other men while women have such high levels of discomfort changing around other women? Old man testicle exposure therapy completely desensitizing a large chunk of men?

This poll also destroys all my illusions that Porky's was a documentary and all women love hanging out together in changing/locker rooms.

Literally, yes. It's been a while since I saw data, but one of the causes of gym shyness (not nudity) and then falling off from going is the false perception that everyone is judging you for not looking like a muscle-god/dess in a room covered in mirrors; the reality is that if you're just working out then no one really cares what you look like because they are focused on their own workouts. Similarly, if no one is staring and pointing at someone straddling the Dyson air dryer then it's pretty clear that zero people give a poo poo what your body looks like, so just take off your clothes and get on with life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Zachack posted:

Literally, yes. It's been a while since I saw data, but one of the causes of gym shyness (not nudity) and then falling off from going is the false perception that everyone is judging you for not looking like a muscle-god/dess in a room covered in mirrors; the reality is that if you're just working out then no one really cares what you look like because they are focused on their own workouts. Similarly, if no one is staring and pointing at someone straddling the Dyson air dryer then it's pretty clear that zero people give a poo poo what your body looks like, so just take off your clothes and get on with life.

I think that is plausible, but it doesn't really explain the huge gap between men and women. I don't think the fact that sometimes an old man is drying his balls in a locker room would explain the large gap by itself. It's basically 7/10 women who would be uncomfortable in a changing room or locker room, but less than half of men. It is literally the only thing on the poll that men are more chill about than women and by a huge degree too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dudes are weird.

Between 1/3 to half of men are extremely uncomfortable showing any emotion or affection to another man, but men are WAY more comfortable being naked with another man than a woman would be with a naked woman.

13% of men age 18-25 said they would be very uncomfortable saying "I love you" to a romantic partner.

I love the 4% of men who would not be comfortable eating food with another male friend at a restaurant.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1700091582769152001

a third uncomfortable wearing pink? back when i had to dress office formal, pink dress shirts were the only think that kept me going

zoux posted:

Whitmer, Newsom, Beshear, Shapiro, who else? I mean besides RFK and Marianne Williamson

haha, this accurately reflects the public appetite for a kamala harris campaign

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm sure it's cyclical and it'll come around again but what was the high water mark for progressive/lefty politics prior to Bernie?

LBJ six decades ago, so super excited for the revival of progressivism in the 2080s when I'm nearing 100 or mercifully already dead in the climate wastelands. Thank you, Joe loving shithead Biden and all the idiots who voted for you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I certainly don't frequent normie political circles very much, but I haven't heard anything but negative stuff about Kamala. Also the GOP has been gearing up for her for years and hopefully we learned that lesson with Hillary

Byzantine posted:

LBJ six decades ago, so super excited for the revival of progressivism in the 2080s when I'm nearing 100 or mercifully already dead in the climate wastelands. Thank you, Joe loving shithead Biden and all the idiots who voted for you.

Good news, Joe loving shithead Biden passed the most significant climate change legislation in US history.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I think that is plausible, but it doesn't really explain the huge gap between men and women. I don't think the fact that sometimes an old man is drying his balls in a locker room would explain the large gap by itself. It's basically 7/10 women who would be uncomfortable in a changing room or locker room, but less than half of men. It is literally the only thing on the poll that men are more chill about than women and by a huge degree too.

Women are under huge pressure from a young age to be acutely aware of their appearance at all times.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Old and middle-aged dudes just love their semi-public nudity.

See: Joe Biden.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 8, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Women are under huge pressure from a young age to be acutely aware of their appearance at all times.

Yeah I assume it’s just an extension of women’s general socially forced discomfort with being judged or leered at or in danger. Those things don’t disappear if you’re in a womens locker room.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Edit: nvm

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dudes are weird.

Brits are weird, you mean. You shouldn't apply data from Great Britain to the rest of the world. There are other cultures!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the Semafor article weirdly understates the “brought the left into the fold” aspect of the situation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes this should be easily countered. For them, once a baby comes out they don’t give two shits what happens after that.

I also laugh at the idea that they think they can wrangle this issue after spending 50 years wanting this and encouraging psychos to run for office that are willing to do whatever is necessary to ban abortion completely

Won't have to counter it when every Republican in the ruby red gerrymanders they've been building for decades just keeps up with blanket opposition to abortion, as their base insists on.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Name Change posted:

Won't have to counter it when every Republican in the ruby red gerrymanders they've been building for decades just keeps up with blanket opposition to abortion
Look at what has happened in several red states with abortion. People have come out in droves for ballot initiatives and similar things to prevent full bans going into effect. There is no popular support for anti-abortion policies on a whole and even in red states it's not very popular.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look at what has happened in several red states with abortion. People have come out in droves for ballot initiatives and similar things to prevent full bans going into effect. There is no popular support for anti-abortion policies on a whole and even in red states it's not very popular.

I just think the Republicans have built up a backbench of people who can win in rural areas because they don't have to compete with anyone, are otherwise largely incompetent, and not one of them cares what Nikki Haley thinks.

They are not going to be able to run away from their base on this issue, draconian hatred of women's rights is a plank of the party.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

zoux posted:

Whitmer, Newsom, Beshear, Shapiro, who else? I mean besides RFK and Marianne Williamson

Pritzker.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

Pritzker has a good shot if he wants to take it and isn't in jail on charges of being a governor of Illinois, I think. Last I checked he was popular and had a good track record, and Democrats lately have seemed fond of extremely large men.

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the Semafor article weirdly understates the “brought the left into the fold” aspect of the situation.

Yeah I think I have to come down on "vaguely left democrats are largely mollified" side of things. This also means that I actually have to give some credence to the "nooooooo, we can't have a centrist doing good policy, it'll absolutely gut enthusiasm for radical change" argument I've pooh-poohed in the past.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really early but of the potential back bench candidates Pritzker (somehow) looks the best. Whitmer can probably win but she's not very progressive overall. She has, however, signed several good bills that the MI Dems have gotten through the state legislature at least.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Yeah I think I have to come down on "vaguely left democrats are largely mollified" side of things. This also means that I actually have to give some credence to the "nooooooo, we can't have a centrist doing good policy, it'll absolutely gut enthusiasm for radical change" argument I've pooh-poohed in the past.

Only if you care more about being radical than good policy outcomes. Otherwise you’re describing the healthy functioning of representative democracy.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

koolkal posted:

Nude swimming was normal for many people until the 50's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I assume it’s just an extension of women’s general socially forced discomfort with being judged or leered at or in danger. Those things don’t disappear if you’re in a womens locker room.

Also men are still more socialized than women for sports and other such physical activity that comes with communal changing rooms. Not to mention being basically encouraged to take off their shirt and run around essentially half naked in public when it's hot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

Only if you care more about being radical than good policy outcomes. Otherwise you’re describing the healthy functioning of representative democracy.

Oh I wasn't stating a position on the conclusion, just that the logic to get from point a to point b seems to hold up after I'd sneered at it in the past. I do in fact value good policy now over maybe having a stronger radical movement that might someday do something in the future if we're lucky.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Results don't really surprise me except for a few:

The near-third of a men being uncomfortable with pink just feels wrong. I dunno if I knew anyone after high school who balked at pink, and quite a few who actively look for it.

The sharing a bed thing also feels weirdly high, but I figure there's spacial considerations to take into account. Like, I'm not uncomfortable with it, but I'm also something like 5'6, and weigh less than 150 pounds. If I were 6'4, 200ish... ehhhh. I wouldn't want to share a bed with another me.

I'm a little disappointed it didn't bring up what percentage of men would be uncomfortable sharing a bed with a platonic female friend. Because, for me, that would be much more uncomfortable than a male friend.

I'd be similarly interested what the numbers are for crying in front of the opposite gender and how that compares to crying in front of the same gender. For both genders.

I also have doubts that women's issue with public changing rooms is necessarily entirely due to discomfort with being nude in front of other women, and more with the changing rooms being public. If even one person at some place like the gym makes you feel uncomfortable, even a little bit, are you gonna get naked anywhere without a lock?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

zoux posted:

Good news, Joe loving shithead Biden passed the most significant climate change legislation in US history.
can't really say this factoid is comforting

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

koolkal posted:

If you check the age bracket stuff, older men are much, much more comfortable with it than young men, so that it almost entirely what is skewing the numbers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

zoux posted:

IL gov Pritzker will run, book it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My money is on Newsome right now. He looks the part, and is just super confident and good in the spotlight. He went on Fucker Carlson and came out looking pretty solid. That bodes well for public matchups with chuds

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Newsom looks like he was grown in a vat to run for president, and is definitely already president in a Roland Emmerich movie.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Veryslightlymad posted:

The near-third of a men being uncomfortable with pink just feels wrong. I dunno if I knew anyone after high school who balked at pink, and quite a few who actively look for it.
Okay, now take that same population, prime them with questions that are effectively “are you okay with XX or are you Straight??”, and ask if they’re “comfortable” wearing pink

The modern internet should have disabused everyone of the notion that there is any activity on Earth that men won’t respond to with “that’s pretty gay, dude” if you talk them up to it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The 4% of men who wouldn't eat out with a friend.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The reason is simple. This generation has been primed about this gendered understanding of color by portrayals in mass media.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Discendo Vox posted:

I might be confusing him with someone else in the Politico cinematic universe, but I feel like writing about how the progressive caucus secretly hates the rest of the Democratic party and mostly referencing his Twitter feed has been David Weigel's shtick for several years.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

My money is on Newsome right now. He looks the part, and is just super confident and good in the spotlight. He went on Fucker Carlson and came out looking pretty solid. That bodes well for public matchups with chuds

I also think he will 100% be the Democratic nominee in 2028, and for the same reasons. He's also clearly campaigning for that 2028 nomination already, even if he hasn't claimed to.

The dude is clearly a political animal, will be interesting to see him going after the GOP whose base clearly loves it's amateurs the most.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Name Change posted:

Newsom looks like he was grown in a vat to run for president, and is definitely already president in a Roland Emmerich movie.

Poor judgment though.

See: dude’s first marriage

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

James Garfield posted:

I might be confusing him with someone else in the Politico cinematic universe, but I feel like writing about how the progressive caucus secretly hates the rest of the Democratic party and mostly referencing his Twitter feed has been David Weigel's shtick for several years.

I don't recall if that was his angle specifically; at least back in the day he was known for covering the right wing from a very deadpan humorous angle before that particular worm turned (his beat during his time at Slate was, iirc, entirely inside the "circus tent"), and that he's actually some flavor of libertarian.

Also he's terminally online, and it's probably cost him a job at the Post twice over.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

yronic heroism posted:

Poor judgment though.

See: dude’s first marriage

I suspect that there are plenty of voters who can relate to having a crazy ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really early but of the potential back bench candidates Pritzker (somehow) looks the best. Whitmer can probably win but she's not very progressive overall. She has, however, signed several good bills that the MI Dems have gotten through the state legislature at least.

Yea I really hope Whitmer doesn't run. As you say she has done some good things in Michigan but at the national level it'd definitely be bad to have yet another dem that opposes any form of single payer.