Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Personally I like Blue Sky atm because I can look at interesting posts and not see garbage reply after garbage reply from blue checkmarks.
Its certainly not as useful as Twitter used to be but a refreshing change is nice.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from GBS:

Talorat posted:

Posting this again for the new page:

Goon feed with goons from the thread.

Add yourself to the goon feed

Added everyone who submitted up till now. I'm doing the adds manually for now so they might take a sec to show up. I'll figure out some way to automate this poo poo later.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

Personally I like Blue Sky atm because I can look at interesting posts and not see garbage reply after garbage reply from blue checkmarks.
Its certainly not as useful as Twitter used to be but a refreshing change is nice.

Curated spaces are always superior to public free-for-alls. The day BS goes public is the day it starts being poo poo.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Musk’s X sues to block California’s content moderation law

quote:

AB 587 passed in September 2022, requiring social media platforms to submit a "terms of service report" semi-annually to California's attorney general, providing "a detailed description of content moderation practices used" and "information about whether, and if so how, the social media company defines and moderates" hate speech or racism, extremism or radicalization, disinformation or misinformation, harassment, and foreign political interference. Under the law, social media platforms must also provide information and statistics on any content moderation actions taken in those categories.

Apparently disclosing moderation policies is really draconian, or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isn't filing a lawsuit basically publicly admitting that your moderation sucks?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Clarste posted:

Isn't filing a lawsuit basically publicly admitting that your moderation sucks?
Musk doesn't want to have to do moderation

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Musk doesn't want to have to do moderation or pay moderators

ftfy

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The California law does not require Twitter to moderate content, only to publicly disclose whatever moderation policies and actions they have.

It might expose the fact that Twitter isn't enforcing its stated policies; or unevenly enforcing them (it's this one, I bet).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, they don’t want to have to issue a public statement along the lines of “we received 10,000 reports of nazi accounts and banned 5 of them. Our number of moderators is now zero, because the last one got fired for that”

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I have 3 blue sky codes and can PM then to people who want them.

I'm interested if there's still any left.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Family Values posted:

The California law does not require Twitter to moderate content, only to publicly disclose whatever moderation policies and actions they have.

It might expose the fact that Twitter isn't enforcing its stated policies; or unevenly enforcing them (it's this one, I bet).
It might be on shaky ground since under the First Amendment there is basically zero legitimate government interest in policing Twitter's moderation policies in any of those categories.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
If someone has a spare code, I'd appreciate it

E: thanks!

Jon fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 9, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, blue sky is going to be big eventually as Twitter starts to clear out, so if you're an artist getting an account now and sitting on it until it opens up to the general public will probably be a good long term investment.

I may be proven wrong here, but we'll see.

i guess this is where i'm thinking too, even if i'm still not very happy with any of jack's influence being present. at the same time, deleting twitter has been pretty sweet. id ask if artists should really jump right into another rat race, but then again... artists dont got mucha choice, do they :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Family Values posted:

Musk’s X sues to block California’s content moderation law

Apparently disclosing moderation policies is really draconian, or something.

This bodies well for when the EU starts asking about moderation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

It might be on shaky ground since under the First Amendment there is basically zero legitimate government interest in policing Twitter's moderation policies in any of those categories.

The law doesn't actually police the policies in any way, though. It merely requires services to make their moderation policies publicly available. It's a transparency bill, not a policing bill.

Musk's lawsuit appears to be claiming that forcing Twitter to disclose its moderation policies is a violation of Twitter's First Amendment "right not to speak", and also that forcing Twitter to disclose its policies is equivalent to pressuring it to change those policies because the public backlash to their policies would be severe.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Your Honor, our practices are so disgusting and despicable to anyone of sound mind that you must allow us to perform them in secrecy."

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The law doesn't actually police the policies in any way, though. It merely requires services to make their moderation policies publicly available. It's a transparency bill, not a policing bill.
It's "transparency" about something that the government has no authority to regulate, and the only way it has teeth is if there are consequences for not reporting or inaccurately reporting what their moderation process is, which puts a burden on their ability to moderate their platform as they choose. I really don't think the courts are going to look at this favorably. It's just as stupid as all of the conservative social media laws that are getting instantly dumpstered in court.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Yeah, blue sky is going to be big eventually as Twitter starts to clear out, so if you're an artist getting an account now and sitting on it until it opens up to the general public will probably be a good long term investment.

I may be proven wrong here, but we'll see.

I could be wrong but I think that between Blue Sky kind of dropping the ball by being closed registration and just the general failure of competitors to Twitter to take off, that we're not really going to see another thing like Twitter, maybe not for generations. The inverse of what happened before MySpace, kinda, where you had competing platforms (Xanga, Livejournal, etc) rather than just the one monolithic force. The fascists will continue to stick with X until it finally literally ceases to function or gets shut down by some governmental agency after Musk decides to start allowing CSAM or something equally mental. The liberals and other centrists will likely - as I think they have been - flee to Reddit and other platforms. And so on and so forth. Like, by accident, I think Musk did the one good thing in his life and killed both Twitter and the concept of the single monolithic social media platform.

I could of course be wrong and it's all wishful thinking, but yeah. My gut and signs are making me think that at least for the near future I think we'll have several competing platforms, likely divided by political leanings, rather than some single new big dick platform that comes in and takes Twitter's crown.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think BlueSky is generally fine, but there just aren't enough people there currently. I visit sometimes but most of the people I follow are not posting a ton.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

It's "transparency" about something that the government has no authority to regulate, and the only way it has teeth is if there are consequences for not reporting or inaccurately reporting what their moderation process is, which puts a burden on their ability to moderate their platform as they choose. I really don't think the courts are going to look at this favorably. It's just as stupid as all of the conservative social media laws that are getting instantly dumpstered in court.

Platforms are already required to post their privacy policies publicly; is this really much different? Transparency for consumers can be a legit interest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We require food sellers to label their ingredients on the package. Why shouldn't we require meme sellers to label theirs too? There is no first amendment right to hide things that might be harmful to the consumer. Honestly appealing to the first amendment right away feels more like it's for publicity than anything else; it feels closer to a trade secret issue to me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Platforms are already required to post their privacy policies publicly; is this really much different? Transparency for consumers can be a legit interest.
Doing things with tracking data and your personal information isn't constitutionally protected.

Content control on a privately-owned platform is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there a specific court case to that effect? Admittedly I have not done any research on this.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Do you follow the same logic about any other companies that do business with the public? Auto manufacturers: 'forcing us to disclose the contents of our car warranties is a draconian violation of our right not to speak'

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
YouTube made a change recently (not sure if it’s global or A/B testing) where if you have watch history disabled then the home feed is just plain empty with a big message about how they can’t algorithmically show you suggested videos. YouTube please stop threatening me with a good time.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Clarste posted:

We require food sellers to label their ingredients on the package. Why shouldn't we require meme sellers to label theirs too? There is no first amendment right to hide things that might be harmful to the consumer. Honestly appealing to the first amendment right away feels more like it's for publicity than anything else; it feels closer to a trade secret issue to me.
It requires the companies to submit their terms of service as well as a summary on if their terms of service explicitly define

quote:

(A) Hate speech or racism.
(B) Extremism or radicalization.
(C) Disinformation or misinformation.
(D) Harassment.
(E) Foreign political interference.
This on its own likely avoids any 1A or 230 challenges - in large part because the company can decline to include the categories explicitly in its terms of service. To the extent any speech is compelled, it neither impacts nor penalizes editorial judgment.

It's paragraphs 4 and 5 that run in to trouble. 4 requires

quote:

(4) A detailed description of content moderation practices used by the social media company for that platform, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(A) Any existing policies intended to address the categories of content described in paragraph (3)
(B) How automated content moderation systems enforce terms of service of the social media platform and when these systems involve human review.
(C) How the social media company responds to user reports of violations of the terms of service.
(D) How the social media company would remove individual pieces of content, users, or groups that violate the terms of service, or take broader action against individual users or against groups of users that violate the terms of service.
While 5 requires moderation actions (and associated data about the posts) broken out by at least 161 categories.

Notably, the bill contains no limiting language (that I can see?) on the 5 categories listed - "if you choose to define these categories in your terms of service, you must complete these disclosures" is one thing. There's no "if" in the bill, they must report on actions that fit whatever (unclear) definition of the 5 categories. That forces editorial decisionmaking (and arguably compels speech) via classification. It mandates additional work and financial liability as a result of making moderation decisions. 230 isn't particularly vague on the subject.

Musk grabbed a former MPAA shitbird for the suit, and I suspect the blatantly :argh: parts of the filing were for Musk's benefit (Pronouns! Overreach! Censorship!)... but sadly on the whole this feels like another case of the old clickhole "worst person you know" article.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Family Values posted:

Do you follow the same logic about any other companies that do business with the public? Auto manufacturers: 'forcing us to disclose the contents of our car warranties is a draconian violation of our right not to speak'
Maybe if refusing warranty service could be described as an editorial decision, as opposed to reneging on a legal agreement.

Paracaidas posted:

It requires the companies to submit their terms of service as well as a summary on if their terms of service explicitly define

This on its own likely avoids any 1A or 230 challenges - in large part because the company can decline to include the categories explicitly in its terms of service. To the extent any speech is compelled, it neither impacts nor penalizes editorial judgment.
I suspect this might still run into the problem because the question is what happens if they submit a ToS that is (in some random dipshit's opinion) inconsistent with the moderation actions taken?

If there's any kind of penalty for that, then that puts a burden on their ability to moderate their own site at their discretion, because anything they do (or decline to do), they have to submit an updated policy to the government first.

If there is no consequence for it, then it's just meaningless.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Consumers having information available about a product so they can decide whether or not they want to use it isn't useless. I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like a very flimsy argument.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What is the point of making people sign a terms if service contract if one party can just do whatever the hell they want regardless of the contract? Maybe this is a foreign concept to idiots like Musk, but when you sign a contract you are also bound by it, not just the poor sucker on the other end.

Edit: For what it's worth, appealing to "editorial freedom" like it's some catch-all seems pretty dumb to me. There are limits to editorial freedom. If you choose to put CSAM up on your private website that is still loving illegal. The first amendment is not and has never been overly broad.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 9, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

OneEightHundred posted:

I suspect this might still run into the problem because the question is what happens if they submit a ToS that is (in some random dipshit's opinion) inconsistent with the moderation actions taken?

If there's any kind of penalty for that, then that puts a burden on their ability to moderate their own site at their discretion, because anything they do (or decline to do), they have to submit an updated policy to the government first.

If there is no consequence for it, then it's just meaningless.
Requiring a visible terms of service and that those terms be submitted to the government so that the public can find them all in one place seems generally unobjectionable to me? :shrug: It's about as narrowly tailored as I can imagine, it serves a legitimate public interest, and random dipshit's lawsuits are still preempted by Section 230. The provides no new cause of action for moderation decisions even in the case of inconsistency (I suspect because they knew they couldn't get votes for a bill that's even more DOA)

I don't see that portion as more onerous than the Children's Television Act disclosure and complaint procedures, and the CTA was explicitly impacting editorial decisions.

Some highlights from the 2000 FCC guidance:

quote:

Licensees are also required to designate a children's liaison at the station responsible for collecting comments on the station's compliance with the CTA

quote:

The Reports are prepared on a quarterly basis and must be placed in the station's public inspection file. Stations are required to publicize the existence and location of the reports

Clarste posted:

Edit: For what it's worth, appealing to "editorial freedom" like it's some catch-all seems pretty dumb to me. There are limits to editorial freedom. If you choose to put CSAM up on your private website that is still loving illegal. The first amendment is not and has never been overly broad.
Indeed, and Section 230 predicted and addressed this issue

quote:

Nothing in this section shall be construed to impair the enforcement of… any other Federal criminal statute
Likewise, the courts have been clear that some speech (and thus, editorial decisions) is not entitled to first amendment protection.

As to being overly broad, when the coauthor of a senate bill 22 Republicans and 21 Democrats are cosponsoring states the intent of the bill is to keep social media from turning our kids trans, "does social media have too many first amendment protections?" isn't top of mind for me.

What is the top thing conservatives should be taking action on? As answered by Marsha Blackburn posted:

Well, there are a couple of things, of course, protecting minor children from the transgender in our culture and that influence. And I would add to that watching what’s happening on social media.

And I’ve got the kids online safety act that I think we’re going to end up getting through, probably this summer. This would put a duty of care and responsibility on the social media platforms.

And this is where children are being indoctrinated. They’re hearing things at school and then they’re getting onto YouTube to watch a video. And all of a sudden this comes to them, um, and they’re on Snapchat, or they’re on Instagram and they click on something and the next thing you know, they’re being inundated with it.

Parents need to be watching this. Teachers need to be watching and protecting our children and making certain that they are not exposed to things that they are emotionally not mature enough to handle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

OneEightHundred posted:

I mean, the states have general "health, safety, and morals" legislative power under the 10th Amendment. It's quite broad except insofar as it is limited by the rest of the US Constitution or their own state laws and constitutions.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 9, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I would take a Bluesky code, I guess. I never really used Twitter but I can see a couple reasons to get in now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I’ve got like 3 of them, message me and I’ll send one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could be wrong but I think that between Blue Sky kind of dropping the ball by being closed registration and just the general failure of competitors to Twitter to take off, that we're not really going to see another thing like Twitter, maybe not for generations.

Good.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

The arab spring was a strong enough force for good that it overwhelms whatever other nitpicking anyone can direct at it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could be wrong but I think that between Blue Sky kind of dropping the ball by being closed registration and just the general failure of competitors to Twitter to take off, that we're not really going to see another thing like Twitter, maybe not for generations.
Closed registration is what keeps Bluesky good. As soon as you can create a bluesky account with the same ease of setting up a throwaway gmail, it becomes worthless and overrun with bots and nazis. Honestly it should stay invite-only forever, but keep giving out invites. It makes the number of accounts finite, which means if you make a bot and it gets banned, you need to find/scrounge up another invite. The longer they go providing a quality user experience, the longer tail they'll have when they inevitably open the floodgates to advertisers for the enshittification stage.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It'll eventually have to open, but it's probably going to remain closed until they 1) fix some system architecture issues and 2) come up with a reliable method to reduce the number of bots.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Morrow posted:

It'll eventually have to open, but it's probably going to remain closed until they 1) fix some system architecture issues and 2) come up with a reliable method to reduce the number of bots.

Did Twitter ever come up with a reliable way to reduce the number of bots? Because it doesn't seem like they did.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Did Twitter ever come up with a reliable way to reduce the number of bots? Because it doesn't seem like they did.

installing Elom Musk as their CTO seems to have driven down overall traffic, but it didn't help with the bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Twitter's numbers have gone down because it's a paradise for bots and racism now. Actual people have left it while the bot population has flourished. Not to mention, it just sounds like a porn site now.

In a way, I appreciate Musk. He fail son'ed so hard that everyone has gone back to making GBS threads on ceos and rich fucks. Disney Iger is no longer a sweet prince but just another shitbag. The Warner Bros ceo with the Chiklet teeth got booed at a university ceremony.

They're just as stupid as everyone else, and it's awesome.