Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Phantom Menace has a bunch of on location shooting and was shot on film. A bunch of the effects shots are still models. The close up textures on some of the cgi characters are dicey but otherwise I think Phantom Menace still looks really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pops Mgee posted:

Phantom Menace has a bunch of on location shooting and was shot on film. A bunch of the effects shots are still models. The close up textures on some of the cgi characters are dicey but otherwise I think Phantom Menace still looks really good.

It does look good, and certainly insanely better than Attack of the Clones.

The one exception, I think, is that I've always hated how the Gungan battle on Naboo looks. It's a cliche to say this, but it really does look like that old Windows 95 background, and is too distracting.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 8, 2023

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I was one of the idiots that say Phantom Menace 3 times in the theater. First time I had the "new Star Wars. yeah!" blinders on, second time me and my friend were all, "this is kind of slow and boring but the Podrace and duel are awesome!", third time we were all, "This loving sucks". I tried watching Phantom Menace like a year ago, and it still loving sucks. Better than Attack of the Clones, but still loving sucks.

The prequels killed my interest in Star Wars for years. The sequels made me like Star Wars again (even with as bad as Rise of Skywalker is, i still think it's better than Clones and Phantom Menace).

and now the constant stream of not-that-good shows is killing my interest again.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 8, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watched all the prequels again a few years ago. They’re still mostly boring dogshit. I just can’t believe Lucas became so successful when all his successes came from people telling him to shut the gently caress up.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm excited for the Gleep Glossary episode, those pod racers are some top tier stupid-rear end gleep glops

One of them mentioned some other stupid alien during the pod race sequence and I thought for a sec they were talking about Gragra, but they weren't. But if you know, you know. Gragra is a real one.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Griffin Newman Watto, TC-14, and Graga episode when?
The talk of getting another “darth maulian” guy instead of robot legs Maul also makes me want a Savage Opress episode.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had nf clue that Knute Gunray was an allusion to newt Gingrich and Ronald Reagan. Now I wish I didn't know that so I could keep thinking it was some highdea Lucas came up with randomly. Knute Gunray....goddamnit what a dumb name

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gun to my head I still think Clones is absolutely bottom of the barrel dogshit but holy poo poo Rise of Somehow Palpatine Returned is right there. The caliber of the cast is probably all that puts it next to last instead of dead last

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched Phantom Menace the other day to prepare for the episode. I gave it 1.5 stars on Letterboxd. It's still a huge disappointment. It came out when I was a kid and it was a disappointment then and it's a disappointment now.

Although I think I gave Rise of Skywalker 0.5 stars on Letterboxd, so I guess I like Phantom Menace more but not by much.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Clones gives me some real laugh out loud moments though: jar jar ending democracy, the sand speech, Natalie Portman getting mauled by a giant weasel to reveal a mid riff, the whole yoda fight, "this party's over", the conveyer belt sequence. All of those are simply great.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My dad took my brother and I out of school to see Ep. 2 and I by the end I wish he hadn't

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The prequels were interesting with how they lined up with The End of History, The War on Terror, and the overreach of an empire. And that’s before you get into the real world parallels!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

Gun to my head I still think Clones is absolutely bottom of the barrel dogshit but holy poo poo Rise of Somehow Palpatine Returned is right there. The caliber of the cast is probably all that puts it next to last instead of dead last

Clones is bad in a current of uninterrupted creative free reign. Rise is bad while capstoning a trilogy where parts one and two are at active war with each other. Clones is most likely always going to be the worst, since it had almost no extenuating circumstances that would at least blunt it's possibility.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm rewatching Phantom Menace.

So killing Darth Maul, was that Obi Wan's big high school football game? Like he never did anything greater than that, totally peaked as a teenager? He killed a drat Sith!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

When they came out the prequels were bad entries in a franchise where most of the main entries were very good. Now, the prequels are bad entries in a franchise were most of the other entries are also bad or mediocre.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm rewatching Phantom Menace.

So killing Darth Maul, was that Obi Wan's big high school football game? Like he never did anything greater than that, totally peaked as a teenager? He killed a drat Sith!

No no killing sith are their speciality.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Super-NintendoUser posted:

No no killing sith are their speciality.

At the time that line struck me as weird. But now I think he’s just poo poo talking.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Rageaholic posted:

Although I think I gave Rise of Skywalker 0.5 stars on Letterboxd, so I guess I like Phantom Menace more but not by much.

Phantom Menace is at least trying to be a movie. Rise is just a series of MMO fetch quests. It's so loving lazy and bad.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you're rewatching or in an e1 mood can I recommend the first ep of A More Civilized Age? They then do e2 and clone wars and some of Rebels but are breaking from that now to play KoToR so as not to promote struck work. Skip ahead to the Andor parts for a good time too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol this ad read for weed gummies in the Faculty episode is certainly a choice. Reminds me of Jericho transitioning into talking about Omaha Steaks out of nowhere.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

explosivo posted:

Lol this ad read for weed gummies in the Faculty episode is certainly a choice. Reminds me of Jericho transitioning into talking about Omaha Steaks out of nowhere.

I didn't even notice it was an ad read for a few seconds, and when i final did realize it i was hurt and betrayed

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

explosivo posted:

As soon as it happened I thought “Oh no they’re Talk is Jericho-ing!” The ad reads being randomly spliced in was bad enough, but trying to “seamlessly” integrate an ad read into a discussion is way more jarring. Bring back the music cues, made it way easier to skip through.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

For all of the The Phantom Menace's other faults, they were right when they said they got the music right. Fair to say it probably deserved a better movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

enigmahfc posted:

I didn't even notice it was an ad read for a few seconds, and when i final did realize it i was hurt and betrayed
:same:

I'm subscribed to the Patreon at the ad-free tier and I should be getting these ad-free episodes, but I think my Pocket Casts feed is hosed. I'll go into the feed settings and it says Feed Error, and there's an option to update it, but I've done that a few times and it's still not grabbing the episodes for me on time. Is there a way to unfuck that? I've tried unsubscribing from that feed and readding it but that didn't seem to make any difference :(

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BodyMassageMachine posted:

As soon as it happened I thought “Oh no they’re Talk is Jericho-ing!” The ad reads being randomly spliced in was bad enough, but trying to “seamlessly” integrate an ad read into a discussion is way more jarring. Bring back the music cues, made it way easier to skip through.

Cumtown was the only podcast that were pros at this ripd

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Invalid Validation posted:

They clocked it right by saying the prequels should not have focused on Vader. And especially not had a little shitboy play him in the first movie. I remember seeing phantom menace in theaters and being disappointed, it definitely wasn’t the kind of experience people got with the OT. Was a little confused on how much leeway they gave all the cgi in that movie, all those prequels had bad green screen through most of the runtimes.

AOTC is unwatchable for me because every goddamn character has a faint greenscreen haze around the edges. It will also never fail to amuse me that episodes II and III were filmed at 1080p. Way to future-proof, George.

I do want an episode on Revenge of the Sith though (yes I know and have listened to the commentary), largely because I'm curious why Cabin's loves it so much.

Ror posted:

I'm excited for the Gleep Glossary episode, those pod racers are some top tier stupid-rear end gleep glops

loving STOKED for the reactions if Eric mentions the fate of Ratts Tyerell's family after he died with the most hilarious sound in film history :doit: After finally getting them to do Skippy, Ratts and his wife and kids were gonna be my next request

BTW mods please ban anyone with the absolutely tasteless take that Rise of Skywalker isn't the worst Star Wars movie by a mile.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Class of 1999 is a lot different than I remember. I forgot about the Mad Max juvenile delinquent angle, I thought it was more like the Faculty.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

explosivo posted:

It does remind me of when they started ads and did their best to make them stick out - first with spanish flea, then with their theme playing underneath. Now I've got a mix of in-episode reads, and local super loud ads (it's pretty jarring to swap from them jawing about movies to mid sentence Australian ads for random crap) that I'm finding irritating instead of just a spot where I can start skipping. I also just dropped my sub to below the nexus level since I realised I wasn't actually listening to the nexus - super bad timing.

I'd really prefer they did something like Behind the Bastards where there's a specific announcement when it's time for ads like in talk shows.

It might be time for me to stop listening for a while, while giving internet thanks for getting me through many years of lying in the dark beside my kids while they fell asleep.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is an odd solution to ads when you have alternatives like pressing the fast forward button on your device.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Rageaholic posted:

:same:

I'm subscribed to the Patreon at the ad-free tier and I should be getting these ad-free episodes, but I think my Pocket Casts feed is hosed. I'll go into the feed settings and it says Feed Error, and there's an option to update it, but I've done that a few times and it's still not grabbing the episodes for me on time. Is there a way to unfuck that? I've tried unsubscribing from that feed and readding it but that didn't seem to make any difference :(

I've had this issue a few times when I've dropped a Patreon for a bit and then renewed it. If it doesn't sort itself out, which it sometimes just does, I've always found that contacting Pocket Casts' support email gets the problem fixed. A bit of a pain to be sure, though.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is an odd solution to ads when you have alternatives like pressing the fast forward button on your device.

It’s amazing what this thread complains about

Nerds, not even once

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Harton posted:

It’s amazing what this thread complains about

Nerds, not even once

I find the Spanish language ads I get now to be a refrshing change of pace.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve had trouble with pocket casts using premium feeds so I just use overcast for my premium stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maybe it fixed itself because it grabbed the new Blade We Love Movies episode with no problem.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I listened to like half of Andrew's microdosing ad read before I realized it wasn't part of the episode. I just kept thinking "man he's really on this and the other guys are super quiet".

Silentgoldfish posted:

I'd really prefer they did something like Behind the Bastards where there's a specific announcement when it's time for ads like in talk shows.

We all have different opinions because those are some of the most painful moments of the show for me, I gotta fast forward through what's basically an apology for having ads, then the ads themselves? That's like 3 presses of the button.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

We all have different opinions because those are some of the most painful moments of the show for me, I gotta fast forward through what's basically an apology for having ads, then the ads themselves? That's like 3 presses of the button.

Those lead to the Hello Fresh Child-Hunting Island, though; so the preamble to ads on BtB are completely worth it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The ads are good again, I got an embedded ad about finding a rehab in iowa

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Thanks to Steve for making me laugh uproariously hearing “ColumBINE….by Dave Cullen” in like three straight episodes now. They must have recorded a bunch at once.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Good news is, most of the ads in the free feed episode this week have music so you can more easily skip past them.

Bad news is, it seems like there are more of them spread throughout. :suicide:

I did lol at the ad for Applebee's after a recent episode where the guys talked about how terrible it is. :v:

Edit: Okay, maybe the same number of ads, it just feels like more because they're more spread out than in previous episodes.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've finally adjusted to start downloading the main ones on Patreon. Jigsaw on the cover of Disney Adventures with Jafar was an inspired image