Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 8700K has been struggling to hit a stable 60 in many modern games regardless of resolution, late-game BG3 included. A CPU upgrade is absolutely warranted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And even then there's "60" and 60. My brother's 2600X can actually handle Starfield fairly well outside cities, but there are a whole lot more little hitches and stutters than on my 11600K. It's rare enough to not be a big deal—Starfield might have steep requirements, but it really does play remarkably "smoothly"—but it will in some games.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

spunkshui posted:

I think you can just grab a 4070 TI and drop that in your machine.

It’s true the 8700 K is a little older but you’re targeting 60 frames per second at 4K which is not gonna be a problem at all.

Now if you wanted 4K 120 Hz that’s a different story.

Oh awesome, that'll save me a few bucks...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 8700K has been struggling to hit a stable 60 in many modern games regardless of resolution, late-game BG3 included. A CPU upgrade is absolutely warranted here.

..oh :negative:

I hope that CPU will last me a reasonably long time. I'm guessing bumping up to the i9-13900KF isn't worth the 40% higher price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 13900K is definitely not worth it for a gaming rig. The extra performance isn't all that much, and it requires some ridiculous cooling to get the most out of.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£368.39 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£59.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (£208.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Total: £836.36

Is this a sane build for a gaming PC targeting 1440p @ at least 60fps?

The cooler and 3070 are coming over from my last build, I just included them for completeness' sake.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gunder posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£368.39 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler (£59.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (£208.99 @ MoreCoCo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Total: £836.36

Is this a sane build for a gaming PC targeting 1440p @ at least 60fps?

The cooler and 3070 are coming over from my last build, I just included them for completeness' sake.

Looks good but you are using your existing case? I don’t see that on there

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hello thread!

I find myself in an interesting position where I am likely to move into a job where I'll be travelling about half of the time. I'll want to game on the road, and my PC is getting awfully long in the tooth--extensive upgrades or outright replacement are on the horizon for this rig.

Is there a travel friendly small PC that I would be able to tote with me? Are gaming laptops not a garbage fire anymore?

Once I get that info, I'll be able to narrow my search quite a bit.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Looks good but you are using your existing case? I don’t see that on there

Yeah, sorry it’s a fractal Meshify.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Synastren posted:

Hello thread!

I find myself in an interesting position where I am likely to move into a job where I'll be travelling about half of the time. I'll want to game on the road, and my PC is getting awfully long in the tooth--extensive upgrades or outright replacement are on the horizon for this rig.

Is there a travel friendly small PC that I would be able to tote with me? Are gaming laptops not a garbage fire anymore?

Steam deck or ROG Ally

Gaming laptops are mostly fine (if not a bit heavy still).

Do you have a budget in mind?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Synastren posted:

Hello thread!

MarcusSA posted:

Steam deck or ROG Ally

I would also offer, if your games run okay under macOS, a macbook air might be a consideration. For example, World of Warcraft runs pretty acceptably on a m1 macbook, and its a lightweight powerhouse otherwise. But this is a pretty niche case, but happened to a friend and has worked out okay for them.

Co-worker got a deck and from what I understand loves the crap out of it. He brought it with us on an overseas trip and got him through a 14 hour flight lol (while plugged in).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I just ordered a RTX 4090 Founders Edition for my PC, I currently have a ~5 year old Seasonic Focus GX-850 PSU, I'm considering upgrading to a PSU in the 1000w range that has a native 12+4 pin high power connector to ease cable management for it.

Or should I just spend $25 on the Seasonic adapter cable and use it with my existing supply?

One other reason I'm considering a new PSU is that it could potentially help with some common coil whine I get in my GPUs in this system (MSI 1080, EVGA 3080 Ti, both water cooled, volume scales with power consumption + framerate), and as someone who can afford to buy a 4090 and a water block the cost of a new PSU isn't a big issue to me. Plus I also intend to do a CPU/Motherboard/RAM/SSD upgrade later on and would keep the 4090 and whatever new PSU I get while using this 850 to hand down the old CPU/MB/SSD to my dad.

If I should just go ahead and get a new PSU, I'm currently looking at the MSI MPG A1000G as an option, but I would be open to other suggestions.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

MarcusSA posted:

Steam deck or ROG Ally

I'm fairly open, but would prefer somewhere around or under the 2.5k mark if it's going to replace my primary rig.

ed: I would like something that would be good with something like Starfield.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Strix-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0BV7XQ9V9

Not 100% sure you’ll get Starfield at ultra, but I have the 2022 version of this and have really liked it. It’s heavy but not anything a travel backpack can’t handle.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Well Played Mauer posted:

Not 100% sure you’ll get Starfield at ultra, but I have the 2022 version of this and have really liked it. It’s heavy but not anything a travel backpack can’t handle.

That gives me a really good place to start looking.

Also, I am by a MicroCenter.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The 13900K is definitely not worth it for a gaming rig. The extra performance isn't all that much, and it requires some ridiculous cooling to get the most out of.

What kind of cooling would be recommended for a 13900? To "get the most out of"? Is air out of the question?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Volguus posted:

What kind of cooling would be recommended for a 13900? To "get the most out of"? Is air out of the question?

It's more like "just get a 13600k or a 13700k instead" :haw:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Tbh this is half the price and nearly as good

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

So I just ordered a RTX 4090 Founders Edition for my PC, I currently have a ~5 year old Seasonic Focus GX-850 PSU, I'm considering upgrading to a PSU in the 1000w range that has a native 12+4 pin high power connector to ease cable management for it.

Or should I just spend $25 on the Seasonic adapter cable and use it with my existing supply?

One other reason I'm considering a new PSU is that it could potentially help with some common coil whine I get in my GPUs in this system (MSI 1080, EVGA 3080 Ti, both water cooled, volume scales with power consumption + framerate), and as someone who can afford to buy a 4090 and a water block the cost of a new PSU isn't a big issue to me. Plus I also intend to do a CPU/Motherboard/RAM/SSD upgrade later on and would keep the 4090 and whatever new PSU I get while using this 850 to hand down the old CPU/MB/SSD to my dad.

If I should just go ahead and get a new PSU, I'm currently looking at the MSI MPG A1000G as an option, but I would be open to other suggestions.

What you have already should be fine. The 4090 doesn't have the sort of transients typical to the 3090, and during most applications the 4090 will draw less than 400w. As someone who has one, the only immediate advantage of a psu with the 12vhpwr built in is cable management. Whatever 4090 you buy will come with an adapter, and I suggest you use that to not run afoul of the warranty should the card immolate.

If you do decide to got for a new psu, I would reccomend selecting one from "teir a" from this list. There is a section dedicated to ATX 3.0 psus.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I would argue that the GPU upgrade can happen immediately so his current rig will handle 4k 60 a lot better then a 1080Ti.

Skip to the end, 4k testing

https://youtu.be/81c5wMZTNfI?si=-4GX-5zuO4PTHGa0

YouTube has a bunch of videos showing what an 8700 K does with current generation GPUs.

Worst case scenario you then go on to also buy the CPU ram and motherboard upgrade too, but have more time to shop while enjoying better 4K performance.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 9, 2023

Yudo
May 15, 2003

dumb. posted:

Howdy, thread.

My lovely old i7-8700K + 1080ti machine has served me well for half a decade, but the poor thing just got curb stomped by Baldur's Gate 3 so it's finally time to upgrade, hopefully to something that'll keep me going for another 5 or so years.

What country are you in? Canada
Do you live near Microcenter? Nope!
What are you using the system for? Games, video editing, music production, coding/development, maybe AI stuff
What's your budget? ~ $2,000 loonies
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 4k / 60hz. 'Good' or better graphics are preferable, but primarily I want things running at 4k
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nothing fancy, should run fine on whatever I build

Old parts I plan to reuse
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w PSU - I'm hoping this has enough juice and the right connections for the new hardware
Fractal Design Meshify C case
2x WD Blue m.2 SSDs
4x WD Blue SATA SSDs

New parts from PC Parts Pickle
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700KF 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($504.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($125.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($119.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($1069.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Total: $2139.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-08 14:13 EDT-0400

I'm not totally sure about the motherboard, but do I like the number of USB ports on it.

I hear the 7900xt is better than the 4070ti (?) but I also hear AMD drivers continue their legacy of being utter poo poo so I'd probably rather play it safe.

I really appreciate any advice.

AMD drivers are good. In fact, right now, it is Nvidia drivers in the spotlight due to Starfield.

Don't buy a card with 12gb of VRAM for 4k, particularly at $800. At that price, 12gb is a non-starter, and it is asking for disappointment as well as an upgrade again sooner rather than later. Also, AI and editing devour VRAM. If you want to dabble in AI, Nvidia products are easier to set up and work with. CUDA is still everywhere, but platform agnostic frameworks are inevitable. Stable Diffusion already works fine on AMD cards using Nod.AI or DirectML, and more general deep learning applications may follow due to the new version of PyTorch and ROCm for Windows.

Find a card with at least 16gb of VRAM. From this generation, that starts at the 7800xt on the AMD side (though the 7900xt is a much better option for 4k), and the 4080 on the Nvidia side (we don't talk about the 4060ti 16gb). If you are willing to shop used or buy new old stock, there are good prices on the 3090 and 6950xt, though RDNA2 isn't an impressive architecture for ML/AI.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 9, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm resurfacing into new PC mode after a long while of not thinking about it. Is Intel still kicking AMD's rear end (in gaming applications)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm resurfacing into new PC mode after a long while of not thinking about it. Is Intel still kicking AMD's rear end (in gaming applications)?

Nope AMD is the way to go with it’s x3D line.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I have an aging custom 2017 built x399 -a machine (1920x threadripper) that i want to add USB 3.1 or 3.2 ports to so I can keep video editing on it smoothly.

Any advice on add on cards? The only card I have installed is a geoforce 1080ti, so I think I'll have plenty of room I think?

Kinda new to installing cards, so any advice is welcome.

I will be using Samsung T5 and T7 drives mainly, if that matters.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 9, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I think a hybrid between the "Great" and "Excellent" guides on PCpartpicker is up my speed. However, what is a good substitute case that supports optical drives?

I am the last man on Earth who still buys CDs

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I think a hybrid between the "Great" and "Excellent" guides on PCpartpicker is up my speed. However, what is a good substitute case that supports optical drives?

Could you get an external optical drive? An external BluRay reader is ~$60, or you can get a writer for ~$120. USB3 will be plenty fast enough.

Most modern cases don't have an optical drive bay, and the ones that do seem to sacrifice airflow and/or ease of cable management.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The GPU thread said to come here to ask about buying a new GPU so here I am, here's what I have currently an old "MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card" and honestly it's been pretty good but over the past year I can feel its performance getting worse and worse with newer games and some work stuff I use and it's crossing the line into "stuff just runs like poo poo" territory for some recent-ish stuff even on low settings.

Here's the computer I've been using:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/neorasa/saved/#view=jP88ZL

I have ~$400 to spend and was looking at like a 3070 or 3080 like used or open box is fine with me too. But I'm overwhelmed with the amount of variations on these.

I was looking at a secondhand Inno3D iChill x4 3080 because the ambient temperature in the room this computer's in can get pretty warm at times. But does Inno3D's concept of "what if fans, but more" make a difference?

I'm in the US, I'm not far from a Micro Center.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 9, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Fractal Pop Air is a solid case with some cool color choices - and it has a 5.25 tray hidden behind a magnetic panel so you can hide your shame from god

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

The GPU thread said to come here to ask about buying a new GPU so here I am, here's what I have currently an old "MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card" and honestly it's been pretty good but over the past year I can feel its performance getting worse and worse with newer games and some work stuff I use and it's crossing the line into "stuff just runs like poo poo" territory for some recent-ish stuff even on low settings.

Here's the computer I've been using:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/neorasa/saved/#view=jP88ZL

I have ~$400 to spend and was looking at like a 3070 or 3080 like used or open box is fine with me too. But I'm overwhelmed with the amount of variations on these.

I was looking at a secondhand Inno3D iChill x4 3080 because the ambient temperature in the room this computer's in can get pretty warm at times. But does Inno3D's concept of "what if fans, but more" make a difference?

Inno3D is owned by the same company that also produces Zotac. Inno3d cards don't make it to the US that often, and whatever reviews there are tend to be in languages other than English. I will go out on a limb and say it isn't worth paying a premium for the x4, and there are some very good tri-fan coolers from the ampere era. I wouldn't bother with a 3070 unless the price was a real bargain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yudo posted:

Inno3D is owned by the same company that also produces Zotac. Inno3d cards don't make it to the US that often, and whatever reviews there are tend to be in languages other than English. I will go out on a limb and say it isn't worth paying a premium for the x4, and there are some very good tri-fan coolers from the ampere era. I wouldn't bother with a 3070 unless the price was a real bargain.

Oh yeah I'll definitely go for a 3080 then.

I have an MSI motherboard and I know it doesn't really matter to get an MSI variation of the GPU but of all the companies that put their brand on them, are there any that particularly suck and should be avoided?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

the_lion posted:

I have an aging custom 2017 built x399 -a machine (1920x threadripper) that i want to add USB 3.1 or 3.2 ports to so I can keep video editing on it smoothly.

Any advice on add on cards? The only card I have installed is a geoforce 1080ti, so I think I'll have plenty of room I think?

Kinda new to installing cards, so any advice is welcome.

I will be using Samsung T5 and T7 drives mainly, if that matters.

I’ve used an AbleConn card (https://a.co/d/1amAluN) for exactly this, with exactly those drives, with no issues.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah I'll definitely go for a 3080 then.

I have an MSI motherboard and I know it doesn't really matter to get an MSI variation of the GPU but of all the companies that put their brand on them, are there any that particularly suck and should be avoided?

There isn't a safe brand anymore; it varies by model and generation. You basically have to go by reviews of individual products. For example, MSI makes one the the better 4090s, and also one of the most flawed 4070s.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

I'm not aware of any that are marketed specifically to gamers. What features are you looking for in particular?

I guess most 4U rack cases will fit a big graphics card, and will fit a typical atx motherboard?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread! I just bought all the parts for a PC, and I was about to put them all together. I was wondering what would be the best order to assemble it in, and if I should assemble all the mobo-touching stuff before or after I put the mobo in the case.

Here's a list of all the parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mfwCBj

Many thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I always put the MB in the case first because all them screws can be a bitch.

I probably wouldn’t even slot the ram in tbh as god knows there’s probably a screw hole there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You should test the core components of your build before you install everything in a case.

Install the CPU, RAM, M.2 drives, CPU cooler and GPU on to the motherboard. You can just leave the board itself on the motherboard box. Attach the CPU power, GPU power, and 24pin ATX power cables, and then jumpstart the computer by bridging the power pins with a screwdriver. You can find a video on Youtube demonstrating this. You don't want to install everything in a case and find out something isn't working.

If everything works, then start installing components in your case. You'll have to remove the GPU and power cables, but everything else can remain on the motherboard. If you're having trouble with screws, a magnetic screwdriver and a flashlight help immensely.

My general installation flow is: PSU (route the CPU power cable first) -> Motherboard w/ components-> Fans/Drives -> Route and plug in cables -> GPU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there a PSU shortage going on right now cause I'm looking at the Canada Computers website while putting together my PC parts list and pretty much all the good brands in the 800 watts 80+ gold range are sold out/out of stock.

Also should I just go ahead and buy all the other parts if that's the case and just watch for when the good PSU's are back in stock?

I'm mainly building a gaming rig at 1440p 144hz so this is sort of the list of what I think I will be looking at should I change anything?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($404.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($125.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($879.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($191.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($363.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $2736.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-09 18:58 EDT-0400

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 9, 2023

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

literally this big posted:

Hello thread! I just bought all the parts for a PC, and I was about to put them all together. I was wondering what would be the best order to assemble it in, and if I should assemble all the mobo-touching stuff before or after I put the mobo in the case.

Here's a list of all the parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mfwCBj

Many thanks!

First I install the PSU into the case and plug it in to the wall (keep the main switch in the back of the PSU off) which grounds the case as a decent anti-static measure, keep it nearby and touch a bare metal part of it regularly/any time you leave your seat, or use an anti-static strap grounded to it. Don't forget the I/O shield cover now if your motherboard has one.

Then I usually installed the CPU, RAM and M.2 SSD while the motherboard was still out of the case as those are usually safe from clearance issues. If the CPU cooler is on the small side it can go on too, but big tower coolers can get in the way of standoffs and should wait till the MB is in the case.

Once the MB is in the case, motherboard power connectors, front panel connectors, fan connectors, CPU cooler, SATA drives, then GPU/add-in boards last.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some coolers can be a pain in the rear end to install while the motherboard is mounted in the case. I almost always install the cooler first and then mount the motherboard because of this. I don't find screwing in the motherboard to be tricky with a large cooler already mounted, though some cases may make it difficult to install the CPU power cables. Cases that let you remove the top panel make this much easier.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Any improvements on this build? It's practically at the high end of my budget so there's not much room to go up.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($136.32 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1185.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-09 17:58 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Any improvements on this build? It's practically at the high end of my budget so there's not much room to go up.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($136.32 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1185.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-09 17:58 EDT-0400

You can use the default cooler for the cpu, toss the money at the gpu.

You can always buy a cpu cooler later.