Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tom Tucker posted:

Been playing a few hours after getting this on sale and I keep dying a bunch.

there's a mod that does an incredibly fun freestyle multiplayer mode (seamless co-op) that I can't recommend highly enough if you have any friends that play, but yeah just level vigor. when you hit a boss, spend a few deaths on working out his moveset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

Godskin nobles are my favorite encounter in the game. Hell they might be my favorite enemy in any game ever.
Their insanely grotesque yet graceful design just blows it out of the park. The moveset is fun, the visuals always a treat and the music is so good.

Who comes up with this poo poo? This game is all bangers but some are just special.

Epic High Five posted:

you're going to feel at times like this is a game made just for you.

This is really what it feels like. Earlier souls games are already great to amazing but man this one is on another level. Hundreds of hours in (500?) and I always come back.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
This is one of the really rare games that I actually want to replay, and I haven’t even finished my first play through yet.

Since my last update I’ve gone through Farum azula, the ashen capital, and I’m now at Elden beast.
Farum azula was actually pretty fun. Tough enemies, very interesting setting, and, of course, Alexander.

I just love the color palette and lighting of this game. The way you move from spring (Limgrave) to summer (Liurnia) to fall (Altus) to winter (mountaintops) is just amazing.
And then after all of this you get to Farum Azula, which is just this colorless place - it’s like being in a black and white photograph or on the moon.

The last marathon of bosses was pretty fun. Started with Placidusax- this was visually amazing. He really puts on a laser light show. Then just rolled over the Draconic tree sentinel - felt good. Maliketh was also pretty cool. I tried parrying with that shard you get, but could not get the timing right and just went for my tried and true Roll - giant hunt- charged heavy with my Greatsword.
Gideon fight lasted about 10 seconds? Not sure what that was about. I think I cut him off in the middle of his monologue.
Godfrey fight was cool, but he too went down just fine.

But then the Elden beast just plastered me. Going to have to take a break and come up with some different strategies.

Overall, I think this is my top 3 game?
That’s between the Witcher 3 and Team Fortress 2 for me.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Made a new character and have just been exploring along the coasts, it's an interesting way to play the game. Doing Dragon miracles and the Angel Scythe, faith and arcane are a lot of fun.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Gideon fight lasted about 10 seconds? Not sure what that was about. I think I cut him off in the middle of his monologue.

This is the appropriate way to handle Gideon, yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lambs posted:

Godskin nobles are my favorite encounter in the game. Hell they might be my favorite enemy in any game ever.
Their insanely grotesque yet graceful design just blows it out of the park. The moveset is fun, the visuals always a treat and the music is so good.

Who comes up with this poo poo? This game is all bangers but some are just special.

This is really what it feels like. Earlier souls games are already great to amazing but man this one is on another level. Hundreds of hours in (500?) and I always come back.

I liked how it was the big one that is the most agile and BY FAR the most dangerous of the two

Dr Cheesequake posted:

This is one of the really rare games that I actually want to replay, and I haven’t even finished my first play through yet.

Since my last update I’ve gone through Farum azula, the ashen capital, and I’m now at Elden beast.
Farum azula was actually pretty fun. Tough enemies, very interesting setting, and, of course, Alexander.

I just love the color palette and lighting of this game. The way you move from spring (Limgrave) to summer (Liurnia) to fall (Altus) to winter (mountaintops) is just amazing.
And then after all of this you get to Farum Azula, which is just this colorless place - it’s like being in a black and white photograph or on the moon.

The last marathon of bosses was pretty fun. Started with Placidusax- this was visually amazing. He really puts on a laser light show. Then just rolled over the Draconic tree sentinel - felt good. Maliketh was also pretty cool. I tried parrying with that shard you get, but could not get the timing right and just went for my tried and true Roll - giant hunt- charged heavy with my Greatsword.
Godfrey fight was cool, but he too went down just fine.

But then the Elden beast just plastered me. Going to have to take a break and come up with some different strategies.

Overall, I think this is my top 3 game?
That’s between the Witcher 3 and Team Fortress 2 for me.

Gideon can be a real motherfucker if you let him finish or don't beat him the first time. It's not into bullshit territory or anything tho so next playthrough see what he has to say and test yourself against the tarnished machine gun

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Lambs posted:

Godskin nobles are my favorite encounter in the game.

Godskins should have been expanded, and in mods I've seen they've been expanded, hopefully the expansion packs will give us more Godskins

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Epic High Five posted:

Gideon can be a real motherfucker if you let him finish or don't beat him the first time. It's not into bullshit territory or anything tho so next playthrough see what he has to say and test yourself against the tarnished machine gun

Also he gets harder if you're doing a 100% run.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

BasicLich posted:

Godskins should have been expanded, and in mods I've seen they've been expanded, hopefully the expansion packs will give us more Godskins

The Godskins can expand quite a bit already.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I breath the Elden beast last night and immediately started another run.
Now I’m a wretch running around with a club.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay, but what class did you pick for the second playthrough?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Got ‘em.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

Pissed my Volume 2 of the hardback strategy guide got pushed back a week! :argh:

Not just yours.

https://twitter.com/futurepress/status/1698430416456188245

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NA customs got word of ER having a "pot head" and had to investigate

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Side note: I loving hate fighting dragons. Not because they are hard, but because hitting them sucks rear end (melee). Targeting is garbage and I just whiff all the time even though they out their heads down. I even miss their feet. I think I only land 30% of my strikes and it’s bullshit. It doesn’t help that the camera works suck rear end on big wide creatures.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Side note: I loving hate fighting dragons. Not because they are hard, but because hitting them sucks rear end (melee). Targeting is garbage and I just whiff all the time even though they out their heads down. Or i miss their feet. I think I only land 30% of my strikes and it’s bullshit.

On my melee playthroughs I always pick up some cheese for dragons, usually the Envoy's Long Horn, Pest Threads, or Black Flame Tornado (trickier because the ash isn't until super late game and the weapon you get early with it requires a lot of dex)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dialhforhero posted:

Side note: I loving hate fighting dragons. Not because they are hard, but because hitting them sucks rear end (melee). Targeting is garbage and I just whiff all the time even though they out their heads down. Or i miss their feet. I think I only land 30% of my strikes and it’s bullshit.

Mostly you can just ignore dragons as a melee guy. All the rewards are spells or hearts to buy spells. And runes I guess but you can get those anywhere. Especially the ancient dragons (with the front legs) are not worth fighting melee unless you really want their drops.

If you specifically want to kill them to get dragon spells, get rot breath first and rot them. Except for the rot dragon obviously, use regular fire on him.

If you absolutely have to fight dragons melee you can do it relatively reliably on horseback by riding around the wings/feet. They’re still dangerous but it’s easier than timing hits on the head.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am on my first play-through and am kind of doing a 100% or close to it so I can just wreck house in NG+ and play with new builds easily.

I have killed all the dragons I have come across so far. Just because, you know, gently caress it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Mostly you can just ignore dragons as a melee guy. All the rewards are spells or hearts to buy spells. And runes I guess but you can get those anywhere. Especially the ancient dragons (with the front legs) are not worth fighting melee unless you really want their drops.

If you specifically want to kill them to get dragon spells, get rot breath first and rot them. Except for the rot dragon obviously, use regular fire on him.

If you absolutely have to fight dragons melee you can do it relatively reliably on horseback by riding around the wings/feet. They’re still dangerous but it’s easier than timing hits on the head.

Cannot abide a boss that you could be fighting and kill to live, to do so is to admit defeat to them

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Normal Dragons are fun to fight because they are scaled down and gentler versions of Midir. They are more predictable, have easy to dodge attacks, and you can reliably boop their snoots during their long punish windows. And if you remain bad at positioning, they have much less damage reduction to their limbs.

Ancient Dragons on the other hand will remain unfun because they are just too long and spindly to hit their heads. You're forced to resort to running underneath them and hitting their hind legs and tail. And their attacks are annoying, you need to roll the swipes extremely early and then roll again to dodge the delayed lightning explosion, otherwise a late roll to dodge the swipe will get you roll caught.

Fortissax is the worse of them, these days I just kill him with ranged weapon skills or spells/incantations. Luckily it's easy, due to the level scaling Fortissax dies sooner than the Farum Azula dragons.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Dragon fights in the game quickly outstay their welcome, the regular dragons you quickly realize are really kind of boring and have predictable attack patterns that don't even have the common courtesy to put their head in melee range for more than 2 hits to speed things up. They also suffer from bad arenas, the best are on the big, flat lakes where they can be most mobile, but others absolutely struggle to find their way through unstable terrain (especially the three sleeping magic dragons on the Moonlight Alter, I have have absolutely no idea what the gently caress they were thinking with that, its looks so bad when they get stuck on top of the big crystals, literally something out of an early access game).

The Ancient Dragons are just roundly awful, their heads are absolutely tiny so you can't really rely on hitting them at all, so its working the feet the whole time and constantly getting hosed over by their lightning AOEs that are very hard to avoid in the best of circumstances and extremely difficult to see when the camera is losing its mind buried deep within their rear end. They also seem to be impossible to stagger, one of the only enemies in the game that can't be staggered and open up a critical attack, this is another thing that baffles me, every other enemy and boss is vulnerable to this and it pushes to player to be more aggressive, I have to wonder if its a glitch.

On repeat playthroughs I'm consistently amazed how much of a step backwards the dragons are compared to Midir.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 9, 2023

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Seconding all of this, although normal dragons can be annoying too when they decide to fly halfway across the map and walk in place on an unreachable cliff in the middle of the fight (looking at you here Agheel).

Generally ER enemies could do with less running away moves imo. Elden beast is the worst offender of course, but Night Cavalry also can choose to extend the fight unnecessarily by just playing keep away for what feels like minutes at a time. Fight me you cowards!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dragons in other games will solve these camera problems by doing things like have just the dragon’s head and hands poke through a hole in the ground, or have the dragon sit stationary or have a scripted battle where you go through different phases. But all of these seem antithetical to the Fromsoft way of doing things except recently we got Armored Core 6 where you fight big flying enemies.

So obviously Elden Ring 2 should have jet packs

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Steve Yun posted:

Dragons in other games will solve these camera problems by doing things like have just the dragon’s head and hands poke through a hole in the ground, or have the dragon sit stationary or have a scripted battle where you go through different phases. But all of these seem antithetical to the Fromsoft way of doing things except recently we got Armored Core 6 where you fight big flying enemies.

So obviously Elden Ring 2 should have jet packs

I mean, what I wish they'd do for the big battles is zoom out the camera a bit, it would make it a lot less annoying, Giant enemies have consistently been a From weakness IMO (Midir was probably the best, and a lot of that came from the careful consideration From made for his head position).

How does a game like Monster Hunter handle this issue?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
elden ring gives you the two greatest upgrades to fromsoft dragon fights ever invented: bows that do actual damage, and Torrent

and then doesn't let you use Torrent for like half of them because they're assholes, but still

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the greatest upgrade they gave us is pest threads, which allows us to completely bypass having to deal with their poor design

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Side note: I loving hate fighting dragons. Not because they are hard, but because hitting them sucks rear end (melee). Targeting is garbage and I just whiff all the time even though they out their heads down. I even miss their feet. I think I only land 30% of my strikes and it’s bullshit. It doesn’t help that the camera works suck rear end on big wide creatures.

Lock onto their head and try to stay in front of it. When you're close to them they usually do one of 3 attacks.

They'll do a stupidly slow and telegraphed swipe with their wing.

They'll do a stupidly slow and telegraphed swipe with their mouth.

They'll go airborne and try to land on you, just run away and when their lunge misses their head is wide open.

All 3 of these very frequent and easily avoided attacks have lot of recovery time. Use a longer weapon and abuse charged R2s. Halberds are great for loving up dragons because a charged R2 on horseback swings twice.

Always aim for the head, head strikes deal extra damage. If you land enough head hits it will go prone and you can stab its eye for a huge critical, like a less obnoxious version of Darkeater Midir (big annoying dragon from Dark Souls 3).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
oops wrong thread

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ancient dragons fall to a butt full of the medium doot. 80 holy resist who cares it's time to doot.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Horace Kinch posted:

Lock onto their head and try to stay in front of it. When you're close to them they usually do one of 3 attacks.

They'll do a stupidly slow and telegraphed swipe with their wing.

They'll do a stupidly slow and telegraphed swipe with their mouth.

They'll go airborne and try to land on you, just run away and when their lunge misses their head is wide open.

All 3 of these very frequent and easily avoided attacks have lot of recovery time. Use a longer weapon and abuse charged R2s. Halberds are great for loving up dragons because a charged R2 on horseback swings twice.

Always aim for the head, head strikes deal extra damage. If you land enough head hits it will go prone and you can stab its eye for a huge critical, like a less obnoxious version of Darkeater Midir (big annoying dragon from Dark Souls 3).

Regular dragons are nbd. I really meant the boss dragons.

I cheesed that one on top of Moonlight Altar by just hiding in the church and popping out and hitting him.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Decided to gently caress off on trying to headbutt radahn into the dirt and went on a tour of leyndell. Somehow ended up in the Volcano Manor after patches threw me off a cliff (much later, and skipping the star beast)

The main grounds of the castle were jank as hell, a lot of things getting caught on doors and corners. I bopped ‘em with jumping attacks because I am not proud.

Cleared the round godskin noble and now I’m doing the manor quests until I get bored and go off to kill rykard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Ancient dragons fall to a butt full of the medium doot. 80 holy resist who cares it's time to doot.

Yeah they can resist holy as much as they want, they can't resist being chain staggered and massacred anyway. Medium doot is way more broken than people realize and people already realize it's pretty broken, I love it.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I was trying out the Grafted Greatsword, but I don't like how it wiffs anything human size or shorter on the combo R1

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

MrQueasy posted:

I was trying out the Grafted Greatsword, but I don't like how it wiffs anything human size or shorter on the combo R1

using the colossal greatswords you get used to just not targeting things and then aiming really far to the right of poo poo so the lower part of the / catches them. it's particularly effective doing this with the dash r1 that sweeps pretty low anyway, if you don't want to shortcut the problem with dash r2

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

kaleedity posted:

using the colossal greatswords you get used to just not targeting things and then aiming really far to the right of poo poo so the lower part of the / catches them. it's particularly effective doing this with the dash r1 that sweeps pretty low anyway, if you don't want to shortcut the problem with dash r2

But that requires getting good and not just bonking my way to victory. :smith:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

But that requires getting good and not just bonking my way to victory. :smith:

I mean who even are these guys that are surviving your initial jumping R2?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Starcaller cry requires no aiming

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I mean who even are these guys that are surviving your initial jumping R2?

The second through fourth rat or footman. Also npc invaders. I’m only level 80 after all.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

Another option is to open the fight with a guard counter while two handing any colossal sword. If you combine it with the curved sword insignia, it’s pretty much unstoppable. And it can catch multiple enemies at once.
I would often whiff while fighting vulgar militia with the Greatsword, and guard countering took care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Bonking to victory in PvE without gettin' good is solved with spamming Lion's Claw. Toss that and heavy infusion on any STR colossal and it's like two L2s to down most bosses.