Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I do generally like the enemy design and boss encounters in Sky 3rd than in SC. But then along comes (Chapter 6 boss spoilers) Schwartzritter and he brings with him everything I hated from SC. :v:

Question about that boss: So his two S-Breaks can cause Faint and Freeze, respectively, and can use an Art (Silver Thorns?) that can reliably cause Confusion. Any of these can cause a wipe if I am unlucky enough, and I can only reliably defend against 2 through accessories as far as I know. I am thinking I should kit my party against Confusion at least, since he throws Arts way often. Should I take the anti-Freezing or anti-Faint accessories, in that one or the other has a lower chance of happening if he happens to use those S-Breaks and I do not have a barrier up, or is it a coin flip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do you not have any Grail Lockets?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Do you not have any Grail Lockets?

I forgot about those; I probably have them lying around or on another character. I will check once I get back.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There are also a lot of high level accessories that prevent a bunch of ailments

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I'm near the end of Tharbad in Kuro. It's not that bad? It's definitely the worst chapter so far, but I've still enjoyed it. Just a few goofy things, like the one unnecessary "hot spring scene," Van getting weirdly out-of-character and head-patting Saara, and the second comically bizarre instance of the localization referring to Judith as a "slut" (I've burst out laughing both times this happened, because it's just such an incredibly jarring tonal shift - I wonder what the original language was). Also the whole subplot about people being given the devil weed via vaping. I was pleasantly surprised when the horny director guy gave the three women normal nice dresses for his "Foxy Parade," since I was expecting something bad out of that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay I checked and I have no grail lockets, and apparently those are in the next area. And I don’t think there is any overlap on the accessories on Freeze, Confuse, and Faint.

I guess I will split 50-50 on the Faint and Freeze and hope for the best

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, I do generally like the enemy design and boss encounters in Sky 3rd than in SC. But then along comes (Chapter 6 boss spoilers) Schwartzritter and he brings with him everything I hated from SC. :v:

Question about that boss: So his two S-Breaks can cause Faint and Freeze, respectively, and can use an Art (Silver Thorns?) that can reliably cause Confusion. Any of these can cause a wipe if I am unlucky enough, and I can only reliably defend against 2 through accessories as far as I know. I am thinking I should kit my party against Confusion at least, since he throws Arts way often. Should I take the anti-Freezing or anti-Faint accessories, in that one or the other has a lower chance of happening if he happens to use those S-Breaks and I do not have a barrier up, or is it a coin flip?

can you spam Gaia Shield

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Was not expecting the old lady to come back in Azure, or that she’d join up with terrorists and we’d fight on a train and it would be super hype because Falcom remembered that Intense Chase exists. And then I got to do a “hidden” request to save the vice commissioner’s marriage and also show how whipped he is.

These games are pretty great. I can kinda see why it was a hard sell to get here initially on multiple levels (doesn’t look amazing, the PSP version afaik didn’t have much voiceovers, slow paced and low stakes a lot of the time) but it feels like it embodies the idea of what these games go for more than at least the first two Cold Steel games (super hype to play 3 knowing that Randy/Tio are NPCs in the new school btw), low stakes chill RPGs with some shonen stuff sometimes.

Also, liking Azure more than Zero partly because of Wazy, most of his story stuff is just kind of implied so far but as a character he’s just fun because of his complete lack of fucks to give, and if that wasn’t good enough he sort of feels like what the SSS was missing in Zero, since usually his interjections promote enough banter in the team to make them feel like a group of comrades/friends more than Zero did where it was just kinda implied the SSS were getting closer because of the offscreen stuff they did every month together, even if Randy/Tio were individually great characters. Guessing “Wazy rules” is a pretty lukewarm take though.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Was not expecting the old lady to come back in Azure, or that she’d join up with terrorists and we’d fight on a train and it would be super hype because Falcom remembered that Intense Chase exists. And then I got to do a “hidden” request to save the vice commissioner’s marriage and also show how whipped he is.

These games are pretty great. I can kinda see why it was a hard sell to get here initially on multiple levels (doesn’t look amazing, the PSP version afaik didn’t have much voiceovers, slow paced and low stakes a lot of the time) but it feels like it embodies the idea of what these games go for more than at least the first two Cold Steel games (super hype to play 3 knowing that Randy/Tio are NPCs in the new school btw), low stakes chill RPGs with some shonen stuff sometimes.

Also, liking Azure more than Zero partly because of Wazy, most of his story stuff is just kind of implied so far but as a character he’s just fun because of his complete lack of fucks to give, and if that wasn’t good enough he sort of feels like what the SSS was missing in Zero, since usually his interjections promote enough banter in the team to make them feel like a group of comrades/friends more than Zero did where it was just kinda implied the SSS were getting closer because of the offscreen stuff they did every month together, even if Randy/Tio were individually great characters. Guessing “Wazy rules” is a pretty lukewarm take though.

That's the best guantlet of side quests in the entire series.

Also I wasn't a fan of Wazy till the very last minute in Azure. I had absolutely no confidence in his plot being handled well since I've never seen it done so, but it was handled absolutely magnificently at the end so he jumped from High A to low SSS alongside Wald at the end. It's my favorite plot in Crossbell retroactively. Summary, don't read if you don't want want to see. Having a playable character admit being entirely at fault for a situation like Wald's was just immaculate, I fully expected it to to say Wazy did nothing wrong, but no Wazy takes full responsibility for his actions that directly set Wald down that path.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Kuro does more with the Chapter 3 party member, because she's definitely the least interesting so far. The chapter isn't even about her (she's not even on the home screen CG for the chapter)! This Chapter 4 guy looks like he might be kinda neat from the chapter intro cutscene. It'll be nice to add another guy to the group.

Last Celebration posted:

Tio is not in the new school; you might be thinking of Tita, who is a student there.

But Randy is there and he's great. Rean benefits immensely from his presence.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Kuro does more with the Chapter 3 party member, because she's definitely the least interesting so far. The chapter isn't even about her (she's not even on the home screen CG for the chapter)! This Chapter 4 guy looks like he might be kinda neat from the chapter intro cutscene. It'll be nice to add another guy to the group.

Tio is not in the new school; you might be thinking of Tita, who is a student there.

But Randy is there and he's great. Rean benefits immensely from his presence.

You find out a bit more about Risette's deal in Chapter 4, but I think the greater implications of where they'll go with her character will be revealed in Kuro 3 or something. I like Risette though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Risette is really cool.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay I checked and I have no grail lockets, and apparently those are in the next area. And I don’t think there is any overlap on the accessories on Freeze, Confuse, and Faint.

I guess I will split 50-50 on the Faint and Freeze and hope for the best

He usually opens the fight with his S-craft, so using Grail Sphere at the start of the fight will either cause him to "waste" it and it'll take some time before he uses it again. Neither S-craft hit the entire combat area, so spread out your characters and your arts casters should usually be able to Curia your frontliners back to health if the boss catches them off guard.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I am at the endgame and I just went through the Abyss, shame it is not more interesting. Other than finishing off the last two star doors (Don't know if I want to play through the Nightmare Arena yet) and leveling my lesser used characters to a decent level before the final area, is there anything I absolutely need to do? I know how to get the ultimate weapons at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, I am at the endgame and I just went through the Abyss, shame it is not more interesting. Other than finishing off the last two star doors (Don't know if I want to play through the Nightmare Arena yet) and leveling my lesser used characters to a decent level before the final area, is there anything I absolutely need to do? I know how to get the ultimate weapons at least.

if you do Nightmare Arena, bring ____Anelace____

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Hwurmp posted:

if you do Nightmare Arena, bring ____Anelace____

Only if you haven't sold the weapon she got from her own Star Door yet, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

You don't need to worry about leveling your characters before the final dungeon, as long as you have at least one high level character per party that can take out the easy initial encounters the others will be drowning in exp.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, done with Sky 3rd and it is definitely my favorite of the Sky trilogy. But it also feels like a contradiction.

On the one hand, it is an incredibly lean game; very straightforward, very little filler there, and I think it is better for it. But you also have to play two whole rear end games to get the most out of it, both of which are incredibly large. I am glad to have finally finished the FC and SC duology, but I can't not say that they did not feel like slogs at times. Anyways, I really liked the door stories in general and in some cases they enhanced the previous two games. BUT it is also a pretty good standalone story. I know I am overstating this but this game feels like seeing anti-matter and matter somehow coexisting at times, and I am glad it does.

In any case, I feel like I can also finally properly start on Zero and Crossbell without any regrets.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, done with Sky 3rd and it is definitely my favorite of the Sky trilogy. But it also feels like a contradiction.

On the one hand, it is an incredibly lean game; very straightforward, very little filler there, and I think it is better for it. But you also have to play two whole rear end games to get the most out of it, both of which are incredibly large. I am glad to have finally finished the FC and SC duology, but I can't not say that they did not feel like slogs at times. Anyways, I really liked the door stories in general and in some cases they enhanced the previous two games. BUT it is also a pretty good standalone story. I know I am overstating this but this game feels like seeing anti-matter and matter somehow coexisting at times, and I am glad it does.

In any case, I feel like I can also finally properly start on Zero and Crossbell without any regrets.

That slog stuff is not going to change in future games. All games are very long, very wordy and very slow-paced at times. (though all of them also have moments where poo poo hits the fan later on)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Erpy posted:

That slog stuff is not going to change in future games. All games are very long, very wordy and very slow-paced at times. (though all of them also have moments where poo poo hits the fan later on)

Believe me I am aware that 3rd is definitely an outlier in that respect.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TC might be the best Trails game.

Not my favorite (though its still probably at least top 3) but maybe the best

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

More doors
Doors in every game

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MythosDragon posted:

More doors
Doors in every game

Falcom make Trails into a visual novel.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Unlucky7 posted:

Falcom make Trails into a visual novel.

I'm thinking more like Agate's door overall.
2-3 hour storylines featuring playable Oroboros most specifically. Especially Dead members, and what members who left are doing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Listen I like the doors but Agate’s I could do without

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Whats wrong with a quick dungeon with a few characters you can't customize?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Quick dungeons with characters who you can’t customize freaking rule, how could anyone hate them.

…we are talking about how cool it is that Arios and Dudley just clown on everything in the tutorial dungeon, right? And when Sara just kinda made the otherwise pretty hard boss kind of a joke in CS1, right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Quick dungeons with characters who you can’t customize freaking rule, how could anyone hate them.

…we are talking about how cool it is that Arios and Dudley just clown on everything in the tutorial dungeon, right? And when Sara just kinda made the otherwise pretty hard boss kind of a joke in CS1, right?

Excuse me, but the CS4 Salt Pales were really frustrating specifically because I couldn't alter anyone's equipment or quartz.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Theres probably just not much point in having customization of characters you get for all of 2-3 hours, before getting another set of characters to control for 2-3 hours. Getting a chance to control Leonhardt, Arianrhod, Luciola, Bleublanc, etc with actual focus on them would be more than enough for me. Also it'd be hella refreshing after CS4 and Reverie where you spend 10+ hours refining your setups lmao.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 9, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's my favorite part of the entire game.

For quite a while, my desktop background was using the heal/status heal ability on a guy afflicted with freeze, yelling "This ain't the time to be chillin'!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Isn't the Agate door just a boss fight?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't the Agate door just a boss fight?

Its a small dungeon with like 10 scripted fights if I remember correctly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Excuse me, but the CS4 Salt Pales were really frustrating specifically because I couldn't alter anyone's equipment or quartz.

I mean those sections are pretty easy (at least on Hard, maybe they're tougher on the difficulty above that). I think they were intended to just be a sort of brief fanservice.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been on a recent Gundam binge, got through the main UC shows, OG Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta and ZZ Gundam. And I know how to thread the needle with, CS4 spoilers, Old Class 7 not getting any mechs. Instead, the Soldats are pilot agnostic. You get to decide who pilots which Soldat. Sure, everyone has a perference as CS3 shows but each pilot will give different stat buffs or other abilities to the Soldat. And sure there'd be mandatory story sections where one character locked in for a Soldat battle, but I think this gives a chance for Old Class 7 to not be on the sidelines. And in some cases, even let them take part in Rivalry battles with Rean and Crow. Thinking of Fie and Laura taking part in the Rutger and Lianne Rivalry fight specifically.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

MythosDragon posted:

Its a small dungeon with like 10 scripted fights if I remember correctly.

I would think that when people hear "Agate door" they think of the Orbal Gear Project doors and not the dungeon with the former gang members.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not a mech fan in general, and especially how they're handled in CS 3/4, with mechs just using super-custom giant versions of characters regular weapons, instead of, you know, things which would make sense to put on a general purpose combat machine. I guess, though, that if they were all about the same, they'd be even more boring than they are already.

I think the real missed opportunity in terms of (Reverie) Old Class VII not getting mechs is that Alisa doesn't get a soldat even for just Reverie's Tyrfing S minigame. Not only is she the most adept person with tech in both old and new Class VII, and her family's company makes the things, but it would have felt thematically right because the original designs were by her father. It is nice that she gets something in the Orbal Gear EXA, although I would have liked that as a Stance change, like how Juna/Crow can switch between melee and ranged weapons. As it is in CS 4, the EXA is not really any stronger than using an Art, and those are a little more flexible.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 9, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Chapter 4 city in Kuro is really cool looking. They really upgraded the cities/buildings a ton. (just a city name, nothing plot-related)Tharbad is the only one that is kind of uninteresting in design (and it's still not bad, but more "flat").

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I've been on a recent Gundam binge, got through the main UC shows, OG Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta and ZZ Gundam. And I know how to thread the needle with, CS4 spoilers, Old Class 7 not getting any mechs. Instead, the Soldats are pilot agnostic. You get to decide who pilots which Soldat. Sure, everyone has a perference as CS3 shows but each pilot will give different stat buffs or other abilities to the Soldat. And sure there'd be mandatory story sections where one character locked in for a Soldat battle, but I think this gives a chance for Old Class 7 to not be on the sidelines. And in some cases, even let them take part in Rivalry battles with Rean and Crow. Thinking of Fie and Laura taking part in the Rutger and Lianne Rivalry fight specifically.

Then they'd need to have different animations for all the different weapon types for each mech.

It also just makes more sense for New Class 7 to be using them, since they actually trained in them in school. Old Class 7 has zero experience with piloting Soldats (except sorta Alisa, but I imagine piloting her EXA thing is significantly different).

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Einander posted:

I would think that when people hear "Agate door" they think of the Orbal Gear Project doors and not the dungeon with the former gang members.

Thats the Tita door, this door literally has Agate in the name.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But it doesn’t have playable Agate and looking it up apparently it’s unlock requirement doesn’t even involve Agate.

Clearly that is the delinquent trio door. And yeah it is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The Chapter 4 city in Kuro is really cool looking. They really upgraded the cities/buildings a ton. (just a city name, nothing plot-related)Tharbad is the only one that is kind of uninteresting in design (and it's still not bad, but more "flat").

Then they'd need to have different animations for all the different weapon types for each mech.

It also just makes more sense for New Class 7 to be using them, since they actually trained in them in school. Old Class 7 has zero experience with piloting Soldats (except sorta Alisa, but I imagine piloting her EXA thing is significantly different).

Counter point: It sucks that Old Class 7 has to sit on the sidelines again during Mech battles. You can handwave it by saying that part of the timeskip was getting Soldat training; probably with Jusis and Elliot pulling strings