Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terence is ok but he is one of the many bits of ffxvi that just kinda gets dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

heavensward ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cleretic posted:

I think FF16 was fundamentally never going to be a big seller. I don't know how much it has sold (I think SE have only released vibe-based 'it's good'/'it's bad' statements so far, but I wasn't keeping track), but in gameplay it's in a genre that just doesn't have big sales. Character action games are at best modestly-selling cult favorites, and Devil May Cry--which 16 is clearly the closest to--was never a sales juggernaut in exception to that.

You can't move into a genre with historically modest at best sales and be surprised when you get at best modest sales as a result.

they stated on twitter that it hit 3 million copies sold fairly soon after launch. any statement about it selling badly has as far as i can tell been pure internet hearsay--there was one guy who "reported" that they were disappointed with its sales. but that guy was 1. one of those guys who spends all his time posting about how he's certain there's a switch 2 coming out this time; 2. a guy who thinks ai will give indie developers the power to compete with aaa games; 3. a guy who took that statement back right after because oops it turns out he misinterpreted what they actually said, which was that its sales weren't breaking records but were comfortably within their projections.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Terence is ok but he is one of the many bits of ffxvi that just kinda gets dropped

tbh i'd say he gets dropped a bit less than a lot of other aspects, they at least remember to give him and dion like, a moment just before the end. most of why it would come off goofy is because "just before the end" there if you're doing all the sidequests is like, 10 hours before you fight the final boss

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
online discussion of ff16 grates on me because so much of it ends up getting tied up in grander statements about square enix and the ff series and how it's having an identity crisis or has lost its way and i just. i just don't think that's the case. i think square enix is a solidly average company for the industry they're in, they do stupid things but nothing more stupid than what literally any other company does, and ff16 is just another ff game.

Erg posted:

heavensward ftw

i like heavensward. but. mostly cause the patches exist. there's good stuff in 3.0 but it never really comes to much of anything on its own. which is, the problem ff16 also has

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thinking about the peak insane part of the ff16 fake narrative when people were claiming pikmin 4 sold more in its opening day than FF16 had in its entire life cycle so far, and it was just. accepted as fact despite being ludicrous on its own.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess more specifically Terence is one of the many ffxvi side characters that feels like they're gonna be more involved than they actually end up being.

But I suppose ultimately that's just a symptom of the game being awkwardly plotted and paced like you've said

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thinking about the peak insane part of the ff16 fake narrative when people were claiming pikmin 4 sold more in its opening day than FF16 had in its entire life cycle so far, and it was just. accepted as fact despite being ludicrous on its own.

That was true-ish in Japan! Three days of sale for Pikmin, not just one, but.

quote:

Software Sales​ (7/17/23 – 7/23/23)
[NSW] Pikmin 4 – 401,853 / NEW
[NSW] Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 15,616 / 1,775,035
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,749 / 5,385,022
[NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening – 10,633 / NEW
[PS4] Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening – 10,434 / NEW
[NSW] Minecraft – 7,512 / 3,200,000
[NSW] Splatoon 3 – 6,337 / 4,066,350
[NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports – 5,784 / 1,131,645
[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI – 4,904 / 401,376
[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 4,844 / 5,239,500

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A downside pointed out by thegamingbrit is that since the game doesnt really have a party, your alles have to skype their support to Clive during the final battle instead of actually participating.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Also aren't those just physical sales? Like, I don't know if digital sales change things that much, but be aware there's a cheaper model of PS5 that doesn't have a disc drive and is just digital only.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean that's not a lack of party thing you literally do have a party with you going into the final boss. it's more a thing of like. ff16 being weirdly reluctant to have certain characters get to directly participate in certain things. it's honestly much worse about it in side content and scenes of people having casual dialog with each other because that's where you get things like jill not really having a role in the group dynamic at all in any way and her and joshua's sidequests not really... being about either of them that much? there is something kinda lost without the full party control that the game never finds a way to mechanically compensate for but really most of its issues with how it's handled writing wise feel again, like they just didn't know how to incorporate characters into scenes sometimes and gave up. or in jill's case like they had absolutely no loving idea how they wanted to handle her

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A downside pointed out by thegamingbrit is that since the game doesnt really have a party, your alles have to skype their support to Clive during the final battle instead of actually participating.

I'm not sure figuring out ffxvi doesn't have much of a party is really that big a revelation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

online discussion of ff16 grates on me because so much of it ends up getting tied up in grander statements about square enix and the ff series and how it's having an identity crisis or has lost its way and i just. i just don't think that's the case. i think square enix is a solidly average company for the industry they're in, they do stupid things but nothing more stupid than what literally any other company does, and ff16 is just another ff game.

Don't forget all the people mad about it being a PS5 exclusive

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
It would have been neat to play as other characters but I think I just want more weapon movesets.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff16 is weirdly a game that i think would benefit more from dlc than 15 to let them experiment with more movesets and playstyles for the next game that uses its combat engine yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also like the specific reason those characters aren't engaging as a party in the final boss with you is because half of them are just normal people and you're going on a suicide mission to fight god you don't expect to come back from and, you don't

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A Sinister Rap posted:

Also aren't those just physical sales? Like, I don't know if digital sales change things that much, but be aware there's a cheaper model of PS5 that doesn't have a disc drive and is just digital only.

Sure, and on the other hand this was the first big Nintendo game to come out after Tears of the Kingdom and after ~vouchers~ returned, so you might have seen higher-than-usual digital sales for Pikmin 4, as well. We'll have an idea of how strong Pikmin 4's digital sales are when Nintendo releases their next quarterly results, but it's not "ludicrous" that Pikmin 4 outsold FFXVI in Japan within 3 days - it might very well have happened!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it would not be a surprise if it did because more people own switches than ps5s but like. if anything that makes ff16's sales more impressive, that it's sold well enough to stick this close to the numbers of several games that are either multiplatform or on a vastly more popular platform

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure figuring out ffxvi doesn't have much of a party is really that big a revelation

You play as Geralt for 99% of the Witcher 3, and you do get the impression that his allies pull their weight.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
I'm way late chiming in on kotor 2/kreia but I think she's a great example where voice acting elevates a character well beyond where they should be. I've always wondered if her VA is another Alec Guinness type who doesn't want to be associated with the silly star wars game for kids.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the witcher 3 is an entirely different game where your combat system doesn't by design make the player character able to weird the power of like seven different magic spirit gods that let you nuke every enemy in sight. ff16's combat design was built to let you have really flashy large scale dbz kaiju battles

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just don't think you need to get to the final boss of ffxvi to be like "wait a sec, the 'party' doesn't do a whole lot in this game and strangely several characters tend to do less once they join the party".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oneavi posted:

I'm way late chiming in on kotor 2/kreia but I think she's a great example where voice acting elevates a character well beyond where they should be. I've always wondered if her VA is another Alec Guinness type who doesn't want to be associated with the silly star wars game for kids.

It looks like she's much more a theatre actor than anything else, though she's been working steadily and she's almost 80 now. I doubt she has strong feelings one way or the other. It's not like Guinness who's done lots more work he feels should be more famous.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I’m heading into the last section of KOTOR 2 and I think I like Kreia more than I have in any other playthrough, dunno why really tho. I still dislike her as a person in universe but I think she’s a pretty well written character overall that I just happen to think is wrong about 95% of things she says. The VA absolutely makes it easier to be engrossed by her dialogue. I haven’t really done a dark side playthrough before and I think some of the options you get are pretty interesting; there is the classic “I want to kill everyone” options but also a lot of dark side options are much more sensible than in the first game. Wish the game had a bit more content like an extra planet but the HK factory is pretty funny and I’m glad it was added in with the restoration patch. I’ve tried the droid planet mod before and it seemed pretty awful, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

That was true-ish in Japan! Three days of sale for Pikmin, not just one, but.
it was true in japan but its true because there are like literally 10x as many switches as ps5s in japan. only 3 million ps5s have been sold in japan. 30 million switches have been sold in japan.

in that context, ff16's sales in japan are extremely impressive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like it's also weird how people built up this idea that pikmin is this ultra obscure series nobody ever bought before when it's just like. if anything the only reason it wasn't better known is cause most of its big releases are on nintendo's least popular consoles none of them actually sold bad for what they came out on lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like to give you an idea of the absolute disparity between sales of games on switch and sales of games on ps4/ps5 in japan, loving etrian odyssey hd sold literally 3x as much as street fighter 6. There's a reason devs are spinning off b studios to make switch games, like how square has octopath and tristrat and stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's very funny to me that the follow up to "People were being really weird about this game and making up things to say it did poorly" was "Actuallly one of those is true but only if you look a one specific market that is a fraction of the total sales of either game".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

feel like it's also weird how people built up this idea that pikmin is this ultra obscure series nobody ever bought before when it's just like. if anything the only reason it wasn't better known is cause most of its big releases are on nintendo's least popular consoles none of them actually sold bad for what they came out on lol

I had access to the Nintendo survey data that said otherwise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how recent was that survey because they didn't rerelease the first two games on a modern system until this year and 3 feels like it's the one that never even picked up any kind of hype from fans

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

how recent was that survey because they didn't rerelease the first two games on a modern system until this year and 3 feels like it's the one that never even picked up any kind of hype from fans

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah uh. i'm not surprised a generation of people who didn't grow up on any of the systems the games released on would say they're unfamiliar with it

just always feel like there's a weird disconnect where people think the series was on the brink of death even though one of the things miyamoto is most public about is that he's fixated on getting pikmin movies made, it's not a mario-size ip but it definitely has big backing within the company and is in no real danger

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think people just assume Pikmin is not well known because the first game is the only good one in the series.

That's right. I'm one of those people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah uh. i'm not surprised a generation of people who didn't grow up on any of the systems the games released on would say they're unfamiliar with it

just always feel like there's a weird disconnect where people think the series was on the brink of death even though one of the things miyamoto is most public about is that he's fixated on getting pikmin movies made, it's not a mario-size ip but it definitely has big backing within the company and is in no real danger

As far as I could tell in the project, which I left before it went further, it was basically suites trying to show that all the metrics were saying "dont make more Pikmin" and somebody in Nintendo (probably Miyamoto) saying lol gently caress that do it anyway.

I did, however, since I was the only person in the entire company to know what a Pikmin was get to submit official notes that I wanted Pikmin 4 and that Hey Pikmin was poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean again pikmin 3 was the game with like. the absolute worst circumstances around its release and the least excitement for it as a game overall. and hey pikmin was hey pikmin. i'm not surprised those ones sold badly

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Golden Sun, Rest in Piss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It would maybe not fix FF16's party problems but the part where you can press the d-pad for Torgal to do a couple of static wimpy worthless attacks feels like it could have been used for you to assign moves from your party or something to give you literally any control over what they do in an interesting way. Make it customizable between a handful of attacks, have them do more damage if you manually do the move and give it cooldowns and there might be something there without necessarily having to do a ton of work to make them all playable. Just... something.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Levantine posted:

So Crimson Tactics came out of Early Access today: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1480810/Crimson_Tactics_The_Rise_of_The_White_Banner/

Has anyone messed with this and have any impressions? Steam reviews make it sound like maybe it needs to cook a bit longer.

I posted some impressions of the tutorial during EA, but I haven't tried it since then.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I did end up trying Crimson Tactics: Rise of the White Banner, but the controls felt a bit jank, and the hooks they threw out at the beginning didn't grab me. I uninstalled because it took up too much hard drive space, but I'll consider re-trying it if I finish+uninstall a few other larger games and have more gigabytes to toss around.

Giving you control of a bunch of units with weapons that hit multiple squares AND inflict poison status is definitely a Choice in a game with friendly fire, but I suppose doing it in the tutorial with throwaway characters is a pretty a good way to teach the player that they should be mindful once they have a real party in the future. The game has permadeath, but only for non-story characters, and those are only gone for good when they lose all three heart tokens to being KOed different times. Hard for me to evaluate that without playing more and understanding the lethality of the game, but I'm getting a feeling that this might be a game with a lot of gratuitous complexity.

-=-=-=-=

I have briefly tried Chained Echoes, Sea of Stars, and Octopath Traveler 2 each over the past week. So far, Octopath Traveler 2 had the strongest intro, but I found the random encounter rate frequent enough to be a little irritating. I picked Ochette, because I heard that the items she generates can be a good long-term economic advantage, and she's been quite fun. Your pokemon tricks start out really fun, and I imagine they'll get even crazier later on. Sea of Stars had environments that were really fun to explore, I was definitely feeling some of that Golden Sun energy clambering around on cliffs and figuring out environmental puzzles. Chained Echoes is what I spent the least amount of time with, the story intro seemed like it would be better experienced when I had a little more energy/focus to spare. Still, I'm interested in what I've heard about it, and it's definitely next to Triangle Strategy on the list of stuff to try in more depth next time I have 3+ days off.

At the moment, the biggest future releases I'm looking forward to are Avowed and The Last Faith. The latter is mostly because I'm having a really fantastic time with Death's Gambit right now. The wizard in it rocks, and I'm really enjoying the ways it encourages me to figure out how to engage with fights in a way the boss isn't prepared to deal with. I think the other classes have a lot of similar stuff they can incorporate into their toolset if they build for it, but being able to mess with spell orb combinations from pretty much the start of the game has been delightful.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nrook posted:

I think people just assume Pikmin is not well known because the first game is the only good one in the series.

That's right. I'm one of those people.
you're not wrong, although I'm sure 4 will get better if I ever get past the interminable tutorials

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pikmin 4 is a modern nintendo game in the worst ways. it might as well start openly weeping and apologizing and begging your forgiveness if you get a pikmin killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was more interested in 4 before finding out that like half the game is just reused pikmin 2 stuff. like literally just repeating pikmin 2 bosses i've already fought like six times