Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Blinkz0rz posted:

i love my ergodox ez but i’m not 100% sure the columnar layout works for me. i feel like i stretch a lot and miss keys when i’m doing it

thinking about maybe doing a smaller split board that’s got normal-ish positioning

the kinesis freestyle edge might be right for you

aside from the abs keycaps w/nonstandard shift/space keys so you can’t really replace them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgKJIMyz9kI
i want these caps and switches for my moonlander. how do i make this happen?

i got asmr tingles for the first time.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

KidDynamite posted:

i dunno man, it sounds like its raining yogurt outside

mewse
May 2, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

i'm extremely loving skeptical of that influencer style video, and ANYBODY who says "i've finally got my endgame keyboard". those are frankenswitches with aftermarket springs, hand lubricated (giant pain in the rear end) to make linear switches which are already a poo poo-show of audiophile grade delusion

switches:

ktt kang white
63.5 sprit slow springs (sprit is unreliable AF afaik)
krytox 205g grease

caps: cerakey

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

KidDynamite posted:

The caps are easy to come by. They're what I use on my Q10. Just order a set from cerakey.com. Now they won't fit every key of a Moonlander, especially the thumb clusters, but you can replace all of your normal 1u alphanumerics. Plus the ceramics are fairly translucent, even black, so you will get some shinethrough.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my keyboard is way creamier than that

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

same

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my keyboard brings all the nerds to the yard

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

the trigger of a gun must be actuated by a live human finger attached to somebody

Sounds like you need to get Stelarc'ing and buy some electrodes then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

not saying much; that keyboard sounds about as creamy as a pair of scissors

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

post cream.

mewse posted:

i'm extremely loving skeptical of that influencer style video, and ANYBODY who says "i've finally got my endgame keyboard". those are frankenswitches with aftermarket springs, hand lubricated (giant pain in the rear end) to make linear switches which are already a poo poo-show of audiophile grade delusion

switches:

ktt kang white
63.5 sprit slow springs (sprit is unreliable AF afaik)
krytox 205g grease

caps: cerakey

i definitely don't want to do that much work. i also don't think i want a linear switches. i do enjoy the feedback of the kaihl golds i have.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

please don't cream your keebs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress and cum in your computer, not your keyboard.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

about 8 years ago i swapped my home keyboards to WASD TKL’s with mx browns and double-shot PBTs.

I need a new keyboard for work, is anything a strict upgrade from those WASD’s I have round the $200 mark or shoul I just grab the same thing again?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

i have a 1986 model m for sale in sa-mart if anyone's in the market

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive been eyeing up some keychron after someone here recommended one

my son has this red dragon 60% and it's pretty nice

and so I was looking at the keychron tkl. I am very keen on it

except this red dragon that was very cost effective? its got pbt caps. and I do NOT thinking the keychron does :qq:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ordered a moonlander to improve the ergo of my bad screen setup; I think it would be a bridge too far for the good screen, which my daughter sometimes uses as well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i just got a keychron 6 pro w/ the banana switches and they feel real nice. I replaced the caps cause they ones it comes with have an insane profile.

really like the look of those cerakeys tho

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Shaggar posted:

i just got a keychron 6 pro w/ the banana switches and they feel real nice. I replaced the caps cause they ones it comes with have an insane profile.

really like the look of those cerakeys tho

Dooooo iiiiiitttt.

Ceramic is the best possible cap material, other than maybe solid metal, but yikes. Ceramics are bad enough at $149 for a full set.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wtf is this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the future, op

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Hopefully a prototype.

Edit: hope the pencil eraser connectors make it into the final.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

and I do NOT thinking the keychron does :qq:

some models do, some don't. the older one had abs, the new ones/pros have pbt

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

ive been eyeing up some keychron after someone here recommended one

my son has this red dragon 60% and it's pretty nice

and so I was looking at the keychron tkl. I am very keen on it

except this red dragon that was very cost effective? its got pbt caps. and I do NOT thinking the keychron does :qq:

The stock sa profile caps for the q series keychron boards are pbt. Not sure about the others tho

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 30, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

The stock sa profile caps for the q series keychron boards are pbt. Not sure about the others tho

I was looking at this board, it looks so good

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1006/Keychron-C1-TKL-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Normal-P

which, has browns. you can get reds tooo... unfortunately not blacks or clears

OR and this one might be even better

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1136/Keychron-V1-C3-V1-ANSI-75-Layout-84-Key-Frosted-Bl

this.. has pbt :q: which sounds good

weirdly the first image on that link looks like a different board

wired ... goood
has a knob .. good
has arrow keys ... good
pbt ... good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1006/Keychron-C1-TKL-Wired-Mechanical-Keyboard-Normal-P

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/KEYKCH1136/Keychron-V1-C3-V1-ANSI-75-Layout-84-Key-Frosted-Bl

wired ... goood
has a knob .. good
has arrow keys ... good
pbt ... good

ya i like the look of the keychron retro colorway boards a lot, and prefer tkl over 75%. i wanted a q3 in retro and could never find one. the second listing is confusing. they do make a v1 with and without a knob but the listing says knob so i'd assume thatd be the one you get? the pcb is hotswappable too so you could always change the switches later if you wanted to. i have those same keycaps and they are pretty nice as well. nice texture to them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

wired ... goood
has a knob .. good
has arrow keys ... good
pbt ... good

if you wanna get a keychron board check their site cause although they have alot of sales distributors nobody carries their full line

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
don't buy from them directly tho. their customer service is some of the worst i've experienced from any retailer ever.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i bought mine direct from them and it was fine

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I’ve bought two slabs from them but haven’t had to get hold of their customer service so i’ve been ok

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shaggar posted:

i bought mine direct from them and it was fine

yeah if you get a working board from them it doesn't matter, if you happen to get a lemon apparently they're miserable to deal with and won't help you, while amazon you can just return it.

Armitag3 posted:

I’ve bought two slabs from them but haven’t had to get hold of their customer service so i’ve been ok

same

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i was an early backer for one of their kickstarter boards and ended up getting a dud that stopped working within a few weeks. they actually suggested that i bring it to a local keyboard shop to get it fixed. like lmao where the gently caress you live where such a thing exists

after about a month of back and forth they finally sent me a new board so i guess that's good but dealing with them was absolutely maddening

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, they will happily take your money, but good luck with any kind of support if you need it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

ya i like the look of the keychron retro colorway boards a lot, and prefer tkl over 75%. i wanted a q3 in retro and could never find one. the second listing is confusing. they do make a v1 with and without a knob but the listing says knob so i'd assume thatd be the one you get? the pcb is hotswappable too so you could always change the switches later if you wanted to. i have those same keycaps and they are pretty nice as well. nice texture to them.

hmm yeah that second one is (bad gear voice) tickin’ all the boxes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

If you have an issue with your keyboard and go to Keychron, they will essentially say "first of all, go gently caress yourself, you're not entitled to a working keyboard, and second, if you bother us again about this, we'll show up at your house and shove the keyboard up your rear end." If you bought it from Amazon, though, Amazon will just, y'know, replace it.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

bought myself one of those new model m's. it's a pretty good keyboard outside of the whole indicator leds shine laser bright if you look at them the wrong way.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ended up getting this

it’s very nice. it’s real solid, and I think because it is so solid it sounds so good

the keycaps are so good, love the retro profile

I am real pleased with thanks. Jonny290 it was ultimately your recommendation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love the look of this keychron and there is so much else to love about it

but drat I wish it had harder switches than browns. so easy to typo, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

echinopsis posted:

I love the look of this keychron and there is so much else to love about it

but drat I wish it had harder switches than browns. so easy to typo, wtf

So get stiffer, stronger switches. That's the beauty of mechanical keyboards. Make it yours, the way you want it.