Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not indie but triangle strategy is superb, even better than final fantasy tactics. also, have you played stardew valley yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Anyone got any favorite story rich indie rpgs for the Switch they like?

Disco Elysium.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Rosalind posted:

I popped positive this morning after developing some symptoms last night. This will be my second round with COVID, though I don't feel nearly as bad as I did my first time last July. Already picked up my paxlovid.

Gonna hunker down on my sofa with LOTR on in the background, my switch, and a ton of fluids. Anyone got any favorite story rich indie rpgs for the Switch they like?

You played bug fables?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Rosalind posted:

I popped positive this morning after developing some symptoms last night. This will be my second round with COVID, though I don't feel nearly as bad as I did my first time last July. Already picked up my paxlovid.

Gonna hunker down on my sofa with LOTR on in the background, my switch, and a ton of fluids. Anyone got any favorite story rich indie rpgs for the Switch they like?

oof sorry to hear

i assume you've already played night in the woods. but if not, give that a go

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rosalind posted:

Sorry about your infection.

Vampire Survivors is out for the Switch and I would recommend that. When I had COVID thinking was so hard that I wouldn't dare playing anything more complicated.

But if you insist I would also say both the KOTORs are on the Switch

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

Rosalind posted:

Highly recommend Night in the woods and maybe Oxenfree, oxenfree 2 and Venice 2089

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The hospital system I work for is apparently bringing back universal masking in all patient areas “annually” for “respiratory virus season” and will be developing metrics to trigger mask use generally.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wesa.fm/courts-justice/2023-09-08/covid-cases-among-incarcerated-at-allegheny-county-jail-on-the-rise

Covid cases have been going apeshit at the county jail here for a month now.

Anyway

quote:

When asked if lockdowns were currently being used as a strategy, or considered for future use, jail spokesperson Jesse Geleynse said “Individuals who test positive are isolated and transferred to a designated housing unit. Per protocols established in consultation with Allegheny Health Network, the jail’s healthcare partner, individuals who test negative twice can be cleared from isolation after seven days. All individuals are removed from isolation after 10 days.”

She added that officials are currently in the process of determining whether they should reinstate mandatory masking.

They're taking people out of isolation after ten days whether they're positive or not and they're not mandating masking. cool!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
It really sucks seeing so many people in the thread get it.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Old friend who I've complained about at length on here thinks he got COVID again last week. "I'm pretty sure I had it and spread it to my coworkers." No, he did not wear a mask at any point because he's "not concerned."

He then went on the offensive and told me I've probably had COVID and my precautions don't work and people just mask to feel morally superior. Ok!

He later further justified not masking by saying he had a more pressing medical concern - the pharmacy was a few hours late on his benzo prescription, so his throat was closing up and it was hard to breathe :rubby:

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
drat, must be tough being old friends with jordon peterson

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Old friend who I've complained about at length on here thinks he got COVID again last week. "I'm pretty sure I had it and spread it to my coworkers." No, he did not wear a mask at any point because he's "not concerned."

He then went on the offensive and told me I've probably had COVID and my precautions don't work and people just mask to feel morally superior. Ok!

He later further justified not masking by saying he had a more pressing medical concern - the pharmacy was a few hours late on his benzo prescription, so his throat was closing up and it was hard to breathe :rubby:

Gotta love when friends gaslight you :smith:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

hate it when i'm six hours late on my xanax so i throw a couple PEs

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
This clinical trial on iota carrageenan was linked in an older covid thread, where some goons were anticipating results this year. There's still no results, anyone know why?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT04590365
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/press-off...at-covid-19.php

Fansy has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Sep 9, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Sep-01	STEADY	Oak Harbor
Island		COUP	Sep-01	DOWN	Coupeville
Jefferson	PT	Aug-30	STEADY	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Aug-29	UP	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Aug-29	DOWN	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Aug-29	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Aug-29	DOWN	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Aug-29	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Sep-04	UP	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Sep-05	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Sep-03	STEADY	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Sep-05	DOWN	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Sep-04	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Sep-04	UP	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Sep-04	UP	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-01	DOWN	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Aug-31	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Aug-30	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	STEADY	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Aug-31	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Aug-31	DOWN	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Aug-30	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Aug-31	DOWN	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Aug-31	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Aug-31	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-01	UP	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-01	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-01	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Aug-30	UP	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-01	UP	Pullman
Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/4pgfO96

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fansy posted:

This clinical trial on iota carrageenan was linked in an older covid thread, where some goons were anticipating results this year. There's still no results, anyone know why?

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT04590365
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/press-off...at-covid-19.php

probably still being written up / in peer review if they completed their assessment period in November of 2022.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

probably still being written up / in peer review if they completed their assessment period in November of 2022.

Science ™️ working hard, thank you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s pretty funny that people wanted a forums rule that we can’t discuss science unless it’s been peer-reviewed.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Not even a preprint?

I'm fairly doubtful of the efficacy of these sprays. If they were cheaper I might try it since they don't seem harmful, but I prefer putting my limited funding into my strategy of regular testing with the most sensitive tests I can buy so I can Pax/stop exercising/start neti potting as early as possible.

It would be nice if things had advanced further in wearables. Early on there was all this talk about the promise of using fitness trackers to detect COVID and now that COVID is over the effort seems to have dried up.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Speaking of nasal sprays, just a quick feel-good anecdote.

I have a friend who is similarly COVID-aware and masks indoors. He's a director in a large financial services company and as such, has pointless quarterly travel to their TX-based HQ for in-person poo poo. During these trips, he diligently masks and uses the Flo spray multiple times a day. He traveled to TX last week and allegedly both flights were filled with hacking coughs, including the person sitting right next to him for a 3hr flight. He arrived at the office and spent 2 days in packed conference rooms with multiple people who were coughing, gravelly voiced and some who had lost their voice.

People in his org have generally accepted him as "the mask guy", but during this trip he received 5 comments. 3 to say that they'd had COVID the previous week (and were prob still contagious) and 2 that privately said they considered wearing a mask and wish they had. 2 days after he returned from his trip, his manager let him know he had come down ill. A week later, friend has tested multiple times and still all clear.

Between packed flights and conference rooms, just thought this was an amazing example of how effective masking (and maybe nasal sprays??) can be.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/chek_news/status/1700552477719011520?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Jesus Christ. I can't process this incredible level of stupidity

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I wonder how many people died because of Dr. Henry's harebrained policies.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
How many corpses is a smile worth?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Brain still spinning over people being against masking in hospitals.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rick posted:

But at least we can tell you're thinking very hard based on your facial expressions.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Rick posted:

The best medicine is seeing another person's smile.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Red button #1: Not worrying about my mom catching covid when she goes to see her oncologist
Red button #2: My mom being able to see her oncologist's smile

:sweatdrop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

the obviously correct answer doesn't make them feel smart. lots of these people have been trained that the obviously correct answer has some fatal trap, and the wrong answer is actually the correct answer for ~I'm smart~ reasons. This mentality pervades law, business, etc. and bleeds into everything else, especially in the US. Conceding that the obviously correct answer is correct feels like a betrayal of some dipshit professor they had who convinced them that every good thing is actually bad because of unintended consequences that make all good things bad

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
getting caught up

Pingui posted:

quote:

The JCVI’s statement indicates that it considers there is too much uncertainty regarding the significance of post-Covid syndromes – and these were not factored into the cost-benefit analysis. This is rather surprising given the numerous scientific studies that have shown the impact of long Covid on health.
interesting seeing what the JCVI has to say about long COVID wrt vaccination

JCVI statement on the COVID-19 vaccination programme for autumn 2023, 26 May 2023 posted:

Post-COVID syndromes

There remains considerable uncertainty regarding the prevalence and health impact of sequelae reported following acute COVID-19 infection. Case-control studies have provided more robust data than the initial cohort studies, but the high prevalence of most of the reported persistent symptoms among cases and controls complicates any firm attribution of causality to the initial SARS-CoV-2 infection. Until more and better data are available, the impact of vaccination on the risk, progression and/or outcome of post-COVID syndromes remains difficult to assess or quantify objectively (references 6 and 7).
"we don't know if long COVID is caused by COVID" is a bit of a headscratcher, but the quantification bit could be a real sticking point in future. looking at their references 6 and 7, reference 7 doesn't exist, great job, a quality publication from an official government committee. they probably mean the last two, 5 and 6, both meta-studies, both with significant limitations in how they could (or couldn't) unify the data:

Reference 5) Byambasuren et al. (2022) - Effect of covid-19 vaccination on long covid: systematic review (BMJ)
Reference 6) Ceban et al. (2023) - COVID-19 vaccination for the prevention and treatment of long COVID: A systematic review and meta-analysis

6 is boring, it explicitly says that vaccination is recommended for the prevention of long COVID

Ceban et al. (2023) posted:

The evidence herein supports SARS-CoV-2 vaccination for the prevention of long COVID
and it also points out that infection prevented by vaccination won't produce long COVID but also won't be counted

quote:

the present review does not consider the prevention of COVID-19 infection as part of the protective effect against long COVID, thus, the results likely underestimate the effect size.

7 highlights the difficulties, but also contains a section pointing to a tendency for a protective effect

Byambasuren et al. (2022) posted:

The high heterogeneity between studies precluded a meaningful meta-analysis. The forest plot of the outcomes of each study showed high heterogeneity (figure 2). Twelve studies reported data on vaccination before infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, of which 10 showed a significant reduction in the incidence of long covid.
Vaccines against covid-19 disease have been found to prevent infection in patients, particularly for the earlier variants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and so would prevent long covid by preventing the initial infection. Less clear, although highly plausible, has been whether vaccines, by reducing the severity of symptoms of covid-19, reduce the prevalence of long covid after infection. The studies we identified were inconsistent, although the results showed a tendency towards vaccines reducing the prevalence of long covid.
figure 2:

(using log scale for OR, so the actual protective effect is better than the diagram shows at first glance)

Ceban et al. (2023) posted:

heterogeneity resulting from differences in study design and reporting, as well as methodological quality, precluded a quantitative summary of the data pertaining to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination post factum.

Byambasuren et al. (2022) posted:

Also, we could not conduct a meta-analysis of the studies because of the high heterogeneity and lack of data on the types of vaccines, time between exposure and disease, and variants of the virus, highlighting the need for standardisation and validation studies of outcome measures for ongoing research on long covid.
this is a very real problem, while there's almost certainly some protective effect from vaccination against long COVID, it seems with the variant soup and differences in vaccination and infection there are always going to be too many differences for effective quantification (conveniently for the JCVI). like, however much you standardise, if all the people in your study are catching different variants at different times with differences in vaccination aren't you going to need an absurd sample size to produce meaningful results in each subset

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if literally all the COVID vaccine did was give me like a one in five saving throw against being acutely ill for five days twice per year, I would still pony up twenty dollars or whatever amount the government contracts are for now.

It turns out that COVID‑19 actually kills more people than any other infectious disease on the planet though. Really tough cost/benefit analysis there.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Look, if you can't perfectly quantify danger, people shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves from it. That's just The Science.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I found the face of danger

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lib and let die posted:

quick get your guns

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Not even a preprint?

I'm fairly doubtful of the efficacy of these sprays. If they were cheaper I might try it since they don't seem harmful, but I prefer putting my limited funding into my strategy of regular testing with the most sensitive tests I can buy so I can Pax/stop exercising/start neti potting as early as possible.

It would be nice if things had advanced further in wearables. Early on there was all this talk about the promise of using fitness trackers to detect COVID and now that COVID is over the effort seems to have dried up.

i'm with you on that. a lot of my "it's worth it for me to do it" stance on iota carrageenan specifically is that in addition to having imo the most convincing evidence of the nasal spray ingredients (not to say it's totally convincing!), it legit costs like $50 for a lifetime supply. like here's 100g of iota carrageenen from grainger for $35. add a few bucks for a spray bottle, maybe some time/utilities to do the sterile solution mixing, and that's all you need for literally years.

it would be one thing if i had to take a $20 hit every month or whatever it is when i use up the bottle, but given that it costs me effectively nothing, i figure i don't mind the "you wasted time" ego hit if it turns out it's not actually effective.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

How many corpses is a smile worth?

5, easy, everyone knows that lol

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

Speaking of nasal sprays, just a quick feel-good anecdote.

I have a friend who is similarly COVID-aware and masks indoors. He's a director in a large financial services company and as such, has pointless quarterly travel to their TX-based HQ for in-person poo poo. During these trips, he diligently masks and uses the Flo spray multiple times a day. He traveled to TX last week and allegedly both flights were filled with hacking coughs, including the person sitting right next to him for a 3hr flight. He arrived at the office and spent 2 days in packed conference rooms with multiple people who were coughing, gravelly voiced and some who had lost their voice.

People in his org have generally accepted him as "the mask guy", but during this trip he received 5 comments. 3 to say that they'd had COVID the previous week (and were prob still contagious) and 2 that privately said they considered wearing a mask and wish they had. 2 days after he returned from his trip, his manager let him know he had come down ill. A week later, friend has tested multiple times and still all clear.

Between packed flights and conference rooms, just thought this was an amazing example of how effective masking (and maybe nasal sprays??) can be.

sounds stressful af for your friend god drat but glad he escaped unscathed on the trip. any chance you know the general class of mask he wears? like p100 / n95 / kn95 / etc

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

nexous posted:

quick get your guns

Trying to feed people that should be considered an actionable threat.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA quote
Why yes, a lot of educated people are fans of Freakonomics and Malcolm Gladwell. Why do you ask??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

very funny. i'm cooking up a villain speech that i will soon post