Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

there not being any detailing tools is probably the most reassuring piece of information that I've ever heard about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh boy I do not like a lot of the stuff CPP is saying. No contour lines, no overlapping foliage, no decals, no props...

The number of times he ended up saying "I'm sure there will be a better way to do this in the future" was not encouraging. Losing contour view is just baffling

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Two dollars twenty seems to like the game but he was really struggling with the trees taking years to fully grow. And that there was no way to change the ground textures or decals. I didn't see him use props either such is also a worry.

I'm going to give it a miss until I see more of that side, I'm not interested in the 'game', i just like making realistic looking cities so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Those seem like trivial additions outside of contour lines though.

Contour lines will either be impossible or trivial. There's some really really easy ways to do it if you have the right access in the shaders, you can just go 'if worldspace.z % 1 < 0.05, highlight'.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

serious gaylord posted:

Two dollars twenty seems to like the game but he was really struggling with the trees taking years to fully grow.

This was one of the worst things in SimCity 4 and everyone who still plays it mods that mechanic out. I'm certain it will also be a day one mod here. What the gently caress are CO thinking?

It bears remembrance that CO's thing is traffic puzzles and we perhaps shouldn't expect them to have a clue about the urban simulation or the bonsai end of things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should just expose variables like tree growth rate to the user.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MikeJF posted:

They should just expose variables like tree growth rate to the user.

Yes, this is the way to do it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This Silvarret video is great so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyctALLq36E

He places a lot of trees as boundaries in fields, they get to a decent size not too long after he's placed them, maybe an hour or two in real time.

The problem is the trees do not auto-rotate when places, so they do begin to look like clones, that should be an easy enough fix for the devs if they do it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Two dollars twenty seems to like the game but he was really struggling with the trees taking years to fully grow. And that there was no way to change the ground textures or decals. I didn't see him use props either such is also a worry.

I'm going to give it a miss until I see more of that side, I'm not interested in the 'game', i just like making realistic looking cities so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Yea, I don't know what CO thinks growing trees adds to the game play besides frustration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a resource management thing with the logging industry. You can push it hard at the start for growth but once you exhaust the pre-existing stuff, the renewability is slower.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It's a resource management thing with the logging industry. You can push it hard at the start for growth but once you exhaust the pre-existing stuff, the renewability is slower.

Absolutely no one ever asked for this

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A game that simulates an economy, as with a city, for example?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eric the Mauve posted:

Absolutely no one ever asked for this

that's cool actually

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh yeah, economic realism is very important in this game that lets you build a town's worth of road complete with water and power infrastructure for like 20,000 dollars.

It's a good thing that they ignore realism for fun in that case, and it should also extend to parts of the puzzle that CO themselves don't seem to personally care about (everything that isn't transport networks)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'Waaah this game is only traffic'

CO: 'we're putting lots of effort into the economic sim in the sequel to add depth'

'Waaah they're making us do things that aren't traffic'

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well that's fair. I stand mistaken and corrected, apparently slow growing trees for the sake of logging industry verisimilitude are a desired feature after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I'd be quite pleased with a bit more simulation in the industry. I am pleased with the logging and farming changes to make them a little more involved and look better once in place. Hopefully also grown trees contribute to beautification and are useful for parks etc. I like things that encourage you to pay a bit more attention to the landscape as is rather than just bulldozing everything.

It would be nice if there were tools to build rows of trees next to roads etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 9, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hopefully farms won't produce hundreds of trucks this time

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I’d be totally down for roads not being instant, too. The extent we’ve gotten of that iirc is all the cement trucks that show up when you plop them in SC4 make the U-Drive It missions substantially more perilous.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I hope they change the construction animation. Why every construction site needs a tower crane.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As long as Skylines 2 doesn't have buildings in it, then I'll be happy!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice if there were tools to build rows of trees next to roads etc.

It's not free standing trees, but I think they mentioned that strips of trees that act as a noise buffer or beautification is one of the upgrades you can install onto road segments.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 9, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mutata posted:

The ideal city simulator is one that has no buildings and runs no roads.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

"I want a city simulator, but only one that gives me the tools to simulate making my city look nice because that's the most important feature of cities."

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mutata posted:

Think there are two populations of players for this game, the people who are interested in the "simulation" and the people who want to create a bonsai city with and much detail and visual realism as possible.

I'd argue that it's the second segment that's kept the modding scene and popularity of the game alive the past few years. Some of the decisions CO seems to artificially limit that freedom to create. Guess it's still going to be a mod heavy game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If I wanted to make a realistic city I’d just use blender :smug:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Think there are two populations of players for this game, the people who are interested in the "simulation" and the people who want to create a bonsai city with and much detail and visual realism as possible.

I'd argue that it's the second segment that's kept the modding scene and popularity of the game alive the past few years. Some of the decisions CO seems to artificially limit that freedom to create. Guess it's still going to be a mod heavy game.

the second segment is pretty easily less than 10% of the player base

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited and look forward to the release.
I'm going to make some ugly cities, be real bad with the managment and probably end up just destroying it to start over and over again.
I'll also probably spend hours and days on doing the most mundane thing there is and enjoy every second of it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I want a game that simulates external time passing like SC2K/3K again, but it's probably not feasible from a production standpoint without using AI tools to generate all the assets you'd need for different eras of buildings and new vs aged versions of historical building types.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Going to take a while for me to unlearn being afraid to touch the water.

E: Tram tracks are another thing you can just add to the road like trees and grass, no tram roads. And you don't have to switch tools to continue them on their own as independent tracks. My tram loving ways are going to get upgraded.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 9, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

the second segment is pretty easily less than 10% of the player base

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean what they said is wrong. Those people are almost certainly producing an outsized proportion of the mods, because they're the ones who want all the really precise tools.

The real Holy Grail would be a game that is a solid management one and a bonsai sim at the same time, which I guess would be achieved by having a game that automatically populates various things with semi-random props and decals and the like. As it stands you're either going to be working at a level of abstraction and/or stylization that changes what is required to look good, like NewCity or Urbek, or you're downloading two dozen mods so that you can spend 5 ½ hours on your Sunday afternoon detailing a Target parking lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It's not free standing trees, but I think they mentioned that strips of trees that act as a noise buffer or beautification is one of the upgrades you can install onto road segments.

Oh yeah those are nice, and I hope there will be more modularity with the road types, but they have tools for building parallel to roads so it would be nice if those were incorporated into the decorative elements.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive, I like crunchy simulations but CS1 didn't really have many outside of the traffic sim, so necessarily you are left with only the visual elements to expand upon. I am pleased that CS2 is adding more simulation and I hope it will tie into the aesthetic element.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 9, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Koramei posted:

I’d be totally down for roads not being instant, too. The extent we’ve gotten of that iirc is all the cement trucks that show up when you plop them in SC4 make the U-Drive It missions substantially more perilous.

Absolutely agree. I want roads to construct and cause traffic headache, plus watching work trucks show up is neat.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Grand Fromage posted:

The ideal city simulator is one that has no buildings and runs no roads.

I gotchu https://opoulos.itch.io/simnimby

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hello i am phone posted:

I hope they change the construction animation. Why every construction site needs a tower crane.

Yeah I lol’d at all the construction cranes for SFH

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I still maintain agent simulation is a poor way to make these games. If people want to do model railroading, so be it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Randallteal posted:

I want a game that simulates external time passing like SC2K/3K again, but it's probably not feasible from a production standpoint without using AI tools to generate all the assets you'd need for different eras of buildings and new vs aged versions of historical building types.

I was thinking the other day, city builder games are a genre where I think AI tools would be really interesting to implement. (The other genre is scribblenauts.)

Instead of being limited to predetermined zones, you could let the player define their own zones and watch buildings grow in that style. E.g. you can attach the "mid-rise, mixed use zoning, Hausmann style apartments" tags to a zone and plaster it over a few city blocks. If you train the AI on a set of architectural styles and urban zoning and urban planning textbooks and you'd be most of the way there.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The first thing you learn in basic planning classes is that developers control everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah I lol’d at all the construction cranes for SFH

I kinda hope they don't change it, it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Minenfeld! posted:

I still maintain agent simulation is a poor way to make these games. If people want to do model railroading, so be it.

Dooming yourself to a non scalable simulation so that players can click Follow on Chirper on a random guy for five minutes before they disable Chirper forever.