Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Nah he's talking about this thing

Malleum posted:

thank you, elevating masts are really cool and stupid. best fad of the 80s

proposed british TRIGAT-LR carrier based on the challenger-1 with an autocannon also in the boom, no idea if the back bit is just extra missile storage or a bonus anti tank mlrs

This is the future they took from us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
My industry is in the private sector, not military, but it is so loving depressing trying to scrounge around and make ancient equipment work. Especially when you know the money to update exists it's just being siphoned elsewhere because the system has rotted. I feel for those guys in the nuke silos.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Hatebag posted:

the us can't build ships, low levels of seamen, all the existing ships are rust buckets, the admirals spent all the money on hookers and blow, they have no counter to hypersonic missiles, and the navy's power is based entirely on aircraft carriers which would all get instantly obliterated by cruise missiles on day 1 of a peer war. badass

sounds like the Navy needs to practice seamen retention, I heard it's a good way to grow more powerful

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fell Mood posted:

My industry is in the private sector, not military, but it is so loving depressing trying to scrounge around and make ancient equipment work. Especially when you know the money to update exists it's just being siphoned elsewhere because the system has rotted. I feel for those guys in the nuke silos.

I get the sense that this is every industry now. Neoliberalism may have started with targeting the government and extracting value created through public investment, but industry itself, then arguably productive work itself became the target.

It sort of makes sense, because the "perfect" economy is just value increasing on spreadsheets traded back and forth, that's the most efficient form of financial capitalism possible, but ... lol there is a material reality that exists and will intercede.

Mostly because I don't know how they intended to control the sites of actual productivity in perpetuity. Supposing you could outsource everything and then use your spreadsheet dollars to purchase real goods from the developing world, they would still ultimately be the source of everything you use in your daily life. They still have control, right? Not in purchasing power, while you have so many more spreadsheet dollars than you pay for the productive work, but in all practical terms.

If, for some reason, they used a different currency, for example... why would the value you create on spreadsheets be worth anything to them at all when it doesn't represent anything?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Sep 8, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Punished Turtle posted:

ðə ɪŋglɪʃ læŋgwədʒ ɪz stupədli ænd hæphæzərdli spɛld aj əsum du tu drəŋkən ænd ɪnkampətənt sæksən ɔr nɔrmən məŋks ril læŋgwədʒəz ar spɛld æz rɪtən ænd ɪt ɪz tajm fɔr ɪŋglɪʃ tu dʒɔjn madərnəti

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but this is pretty readable and with experience would be perfectly natural. No such thing as a perfect orthography, of course.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I get the sense that this is every industry now. Neoliberalism may have started with targeting the government and extracting value created through public investment, but industry itself, then arguably productive work itself became the target.

It sort of makes sense, because the "perfect" economy is just value increasing on spreadsheets traded back and forth, that's the most efficient form of financial capitalism possible, but ... lol there is a material reality that exists and will intercede.

Mostly because I don't know how they intended to control the sites of actual productivity in perpetuity. Supposing you could outsource everything and then use your spreadsheet dollars to purchase real goods from the developing world, they would still ultimately be the source of everything you use in your daily life. They still have control, right? Not in purchasing power, while you have so many more spreadsheet dollars than you pay for the productive work, but in all practical terms.

If, for some reason, they used a different currency, for example... why would the value you create on spreadsheets be worth anything to them at all when it doesn't represent anything?

Therein lies the crux of the matter and why terms like food and water security matter. An infinite money spreadsheet doesn't import more food & treasure if there is simply none to be had for exchange. We could point to Zimbabwe over and over and people still wouldn't get it.

Edit - we're dealing with people who understand so little about how the world works that food magically comes from stores and iPhones grow on trees somewhere out of sight.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Sep 8, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When even the trains are testing 100% positive for meth you know your empire has a strong bedrock and stable future.

https://www.kptv.com/2023/09/07/100-sampled-max-trains-test-positive-low-levels-meth/

I don't know if this is better or worse than mass lead poisoning from Roman aqueducts.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
does that test distinguish prescribed amphetamines?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

When even the trains are testing 100% positive for meth you know your empire has a strong bedrock and stable future.

https://www.kptv.com/2023/09/07/100-sampled-max-trains-test-positive-low-levels-meth/

I don't know if this is better or worse than mass lead poisoning from Roman aqueducts.

The best part about this is that meth testing is also itself a scam

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

spiritual bypass posted:

does that test distinguish prescribed amphetamines?

they're using https://www.skcinc.com/products/airchek-xr5000-sample-pump-high-power-li-ion to collect the samples. not reported what tests are used. study is by https://deohs.washington.edu/faculty/marissa-baker. not really sure if that field is a bullshitty one or not but I'm guessing the sampling is just being done for presence/prevalence as a proxy for drug use.

im guessing since it's air sampling (or surface samples from where particles would get deposited) whatever test they use wouldn't be picking up prescribed amphetamines or the one extremely rare methamphetamine prescription anyway

Slavvy posted:

The best part about this is that meth testing is also itself a scam

sort of. since this is an academic project im guessing they are using one of the real tests and not whaterver they do on piss

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

sounds like the Navy needs to practice seamen retention, I heard it's a good way to grow more powerful

thread title

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's a real shame nukes exist because there's no better time for the PLA to invade and fix Americans

Hate to break it to ya but America's gonna be China's Afghanistan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The glorious PLA locked in a struggle against y'all kyeda, the proud boys and the shattered remnants of the democratic party would be a sweet game tbh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

y'all kyeda

Nascar-e-taiba

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The US won't be able to protect its precious fluids

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nascar-e-taiba

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao

the bahrook brothers riot

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/nknewsorg/status/1700079867348320720

Only a matter of time until the DPRK has ballistic missile submarines of their own.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I dunno what tickles me more, the guy whose job it is to fling the flag into the breeze or Kim’s Panama hat

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

this is just typical media fearmongering to justify more drug war funding

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/nknewsorg/status/1700079867348320720

Only a matter of time until the DPRK has ballistic missile submarines of their own.

It seems like a heavily revised Romeo class but it seems like it could carry 10 intermediate ballistic or cruise missiles. It is a pretty big step forward.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

90s Solo Cup posted:

Hate to break it to ya but America's gonna be China's Afghanistan.

They will probably just try to control the strategic ports and let the hinterland fall apart. Maybe sign 99 year leases for various treaty ports.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

sullat posted:

They will probably just try to control the strategic ports and let the hinterland fall apart. Maybe sign 99 year leases for various treaty ports.

Functionally the same as the current regime.

Actually no, it's better, they don't even invest in the ports.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/north-korea-launches-new-tactical-nuclear-attack-submarine-kcna-2023-09-07/

quote:

Analysts said the vessel appears to be a modified Soviet-era Romeo-class submarine, which North Korea acquired from China in the 1970s and began producing domestically. Its design, with 10 launch tube hatches, showed it was most likely armed with ballistic missiles and cruise missiles, analysts said.

But such weapons won't add much value to the North's more robust land-based nuclear forces, because the aging submarines used as the core of the new design are relatively noisy, slow and have limited range, meaning they may not survive as long during a war, said Vann Van Diepen, a former U.S. government weapons expert who works with the 38 North project in Washington.

"When this thing is field deployed, it's going to be quite vulnerable to allied anti-submarine warfare," he said. "So I think from a sort of hard-headed military standpoint this doesn't make a lot of sense."

South Korea's military said that the submarine didn't appear ready for normal operations, and that there were signs North Korea was attempting to exaggerate its capabilities.

Shin Seung-ki, research Fellow at Korea Institute for Defense Analyses (KIDA), cautioned that South Korea and the United States cannot be guaranteed to detect and destroy submerged submarines.

"It is evident that North Korea has significantly expanded and strengthened the operational capabilities of its naval forces compared to before," he said.

It's not supposed to survive the war, dummy, neither are ours. Missile subs are as good as dead the minute they launch, the point is just to survive long enough to press the button that vaporizes every major naval base in Japan. How do you get to be "a former U.S. government weapons expert" and not know that? Yes I know it's just the propaganda line but come on

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
also SK's military will never be in the same vein as their domestic cops who had proven hilariously incompetent outside of k-drama

...right?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Danann posted:

Just realized that the M10 Booker Light Tank Combat Vehicle has the worse 105mm that can't fire the latest APFSDS that has a chance at defeating T-72s with ERA.

It's also only slightly lighter than a Patton (which can fire said APFSDS when it was in service) so where did all the weight go to. Is it supposed to only shoot at T-55s and naked T-72s because god forbid anyone put some ERA on their tank.

From the correct angle a Sherman Easy Eight could KO a t-72, or a Leopard or whatever

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

Just realized that the M10 Booker Light Tank Combat Vehicle has the worse 105mm that can't fire the latest APFSDS that has a chance at defeating T-72s with ERA.

It's also only slightly lighter than a Patton (which can fire said APFSDS when it was in service) so where did all the weight go to. Is it supposed to only shoot at T-55s and naked T-72s because god forbid anyone put some ERA on their tank.

The standing answer is that it is not supposed to fight main battle tanks unless it absolutely has to, really. it’s supposed to fire HE and other rounds against stuff like machine gun nests and light bunkers and buildings and other fortifications and gun emplacements that can otherwise halt or severely impede an infantry unit. If it spots an enemy MBT, it might better off taking cover and having the nearby infantry use a TOW or Javelin.

The intent (whether wise or not) is a vehicle that acts like a mobile bunker with a direct fire assault gun capability, not to go toe to toe with enemy heavy armor formations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do you want me to print out a sign in 50 different languages that says "I'm a mobile bunker with a direct fire assault gun capability, not a tank, please don't go toe to toe with me"?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you want me to print out a sign in 50 different languages that says "I'm a mobile bunker with a direct fire assault gun capability, not a tank, please don't go toe to toe with me"?

the Fair War Doctrine only allows the shooting of unarmed brown people

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
oh no! that is clearly not a tank, and all i brought was anti tank weapons!! :argh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

oh no! that is clearly not a tank, and all i brought was anti tank weapons!! :argh:

All I bought along was a bunch of cannons and I have neither a galley to mount them on nor a splash of water to sail. Useless, useless cannons.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

That's why you have to aim for the combat vehicle's belt buckle

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

You also can’t make every single truck mortar team, artillery piece, troop carrier, machine gun team,and air defense vehicle capable of going toe to toe with a heavy tank unit, especially in the offense. You can’t reasonably make 100% of your vehicles into anti-tank vehicles. A decent alternative is having at least some AT capability in the formation. Stuff like ATGMs and other direct fore weapons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

You also can’t make every single truck mortar team, artillery piece, troop carrier, machine gun team,and air defense vehicle capable of going toe to toe with a heavy tank unit, especially in the offense. You can’t reasonably make 100% of your vehicles into anti-tank vehicles. A decent alternative is having at least some AT capability in the formation. Stuff like ATGMs and other direct fore weapons.

You can if you're unreasonable about expectations and run spreadsheet sims that inform strategic planningrrrrrrrrr with probabilities that aren't based in reality.

i.e.
All of our stuff works 100% of the time including countermeasures, all of their stuff is trash garbage that barely works 25% of the time. Computer, compute!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess my point is that while a booker may be ok or may be bad in the end, if your reasoning of reason why a vehicle to support the lightest infantry formations you have is bad is that this tool should not be your primary choice to fight heavy tank units, then you’re backing yourself into the stupid corner of “every vehicle in my light infantry unit has to be a tank.”

Its secondary mission is some anti-armored vehicle capabikity (but that reads more like armored in the sense of BMPs not MBTs)

quote:

That is the mission the M10 Booker is designed to fulfill on behalf of and in support of the infantry soldier,” Dean said. “An armored vehicle intended to support Infantry Brigade Combat Teams by suppressing and destroying fortifications, entrenchments, and gun systems, and, secondarily, providing protection against enemy armored vehicles.

Maybe it’s bad. Maybe a truck or an MG or a field gun is bad. but they might not be bad for the reasons that they aren’t designed to fight MBT formations.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Sep 9, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/north-korea-launches-new-tactical-nuclear-attack-submarine-kcna-2023-09-07/

It's not supposed to survive the war, dummy, neither are ours. Missile subs are as good as dead the minute they launch, the point is just to survive long enough to press the button that vaporizes every major naval base in Japan. How do you get to be "a former U.S. government weapons expert" and not know that? Yes I know it's just the propaganda line but come on

And lots of assumptions they didnt you know, change the propulsion system to something thats more modern and quiet. Downplaying adversaries constantly is how you get china popping a sub a few miles from a US naval battle group without anyone noticing and whoops china has like 50x time naval production we do

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, everything is trade off between capability, weight, cost etc. and after a point you just have to rely on your force composition to fill in everyone else’s gap.

And if you want MBTs only, I guess the Merkava exists now?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

McCain held a hearing, where he excoriated the Navy. “The story of this ship is one that makes me ashamed and embarrassed as a former Navy person and as a person who’s responsible to the taxpayers of my state,” he said. (McCain died in 2018.)

The US will lose WW3(McCain died in 2018.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fanfic insert posted:

McCain held a hearing, where he excoriated the Navy. “The story of this ship is one that makes me ashamed and embarrassed as a former Navy person and as a person who’s responsible to the taxpayers of my state,” he said. (McCain died in 2018.)

The US will lose WW3(McCain died in 2018.)

i suspect mccain was just mad that somebody was gonna steal his thunder wrt causing financial losses to the us navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

it's literally got a high velocity 105 and the m1a2's fire control system and optics though