Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

brace was on the qaa Patreon which I don't listen to (I don't listen to most qaas either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

and now "The government covered up an ebola outbreak at Burning Man" will just be one of those things that pops up in conspiracy circles from time to time.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Healthy at any size is just an extension of concepts that have been widely adopted over the last few decades in medicine and public health. Having the knowledge and resources to make healthy choices is what makes someone “healthy”, not just the number on the scale. Is a 300 pound person who walks every day less healthy overall than someone who loses 2 pounds a week from amphetamine abuse? Or a person with a “perfect” BMI and an eating disorder? All of those things are factors, and using them to paint a picture doesn’t mean denial of any poor outcomes associated with obesity.

Using a holistic view to determine “health” is a normal mainstream thing but 4chan decided it’s actually just 700 pound blue hair tumblr freaks gaslighting everyone so they can eat pure lard all day without feeling guilty.

e: sorry if something went over my head and you all don’t actually agree with the chuds

gamer roomie is 41 has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Sep 9, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Healthy at any size is just an extension of concepts that have been widely adopted over the last few decades in medicine and public health. Having the knowledge and resources to make healthy choices is what makes someone “healthy”, not just the number on the scale. Is a 300 pound person who walks every day less healthy overall than someone who loses 2 pounds a week from amphetamine abuse? Or a person with a “perfect” BMI and an eating disorder? All of those things are factors, and using them to paint a picture doesn’t mean denial of any poor outcomes associated with obesity.

Using a holistic view to determine “health” is a normal mainstream thing but 4chan decided it’s actually just 700 pound blue hair tumblr freaks gaslighting everyone so they can eat pure lard all day without feeling guilty.

e: sorry if something went over my head and you all don’t actually agree with the chuds

As a chud myself, I am for whatever is the chuddiest. You could call me chuddy at any size.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fatty

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the skinny meth guy is healthier hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

the skinny meth guy is healthier hth

nuance always gets lost on the internet. that 300lb person may or may not have immediate health concerns just like anyone else.

it’s really funny/sad that somehow “BMI shouldn’t be applied strictly to individuals, don’t say something is wrong with someone at 25.1” got translated via echo chambers to “it is perfectly health to have a bmi of 40”

this all allows you to gloss over a very real concern that is health practitioners just saying it’s weight when someone is obese when finding an underlying issue would actually help them lose weight

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Sep 9, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

being not fat is healthier than being fat, even though an individual fat person could very well be healthier than an individual not fat person

this should not be a difficult concept to grasp

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
hmm actually I think I'll trust this video compilation of fat guys doing powerlifts over my doctor

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

nuance always gets lost on the internet. that 300lb person may or may not have immediate health concerns just like anyone else.

it’s really funny/sad that somehow “BMI shouldn’t be applied strictly to individuals, don’t say something is wrong with someone at 25.1” got translated via echo chambers to “it is perfectly health to have a bmi of 40”

this all allows you to gloss over a very real concern that is health practitioners just saying it’s weight when someone is obese when finding an underlying issue would actually help them lose weight

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
What I got from listening to Maintenance Phase is less “healthy at every size” and more “hey maybe we should go after corporations profiting off of making cheap and unhealthy products for the general public instead of constantly shaming fat people.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

being not fat is healthier than being fat, even though an individual fat person could very well be healthier than an individual not fat person

it clearly is though
*gestures at internet*

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

V. Illych L. posted:

You’re right that it’s not a difficult concept to grasp but that has nothing to do with it. Everyone already knows that, including the medical and public health communities that advocate for healthy at any size approaches. Your weight is ONE factor of MANY that determine your health, but it’s not the ONLY one and is often not the most important. Health at any size does not involve in any way ignoring data that shows a correlation between weight and poor health outcomes. It just acknowledges “health” is the sum of many interconnected behaviors and external factors.

People need to hear this from trusted professionals, because our culture tells us it’s just about being skinny. That’s what leads people to eat only rice cakes and diet pills for a few weeks and think it’s “getting healthy”. That’s why health at any size is packaged like a movement, because it’s a push to change entrenched attitudes, processes, and policies that shape our understanding of what health is. It’s not about ignoring risks of being overweight.

People need to decouple the idea from the 4chan image of a squealing 600lb sjw stereotype shoving cookies in their face. It’s just shorthand for holistic health stuff that started becoming accepted mainstream medicine since the 1980s.

sorry for the novel but this is annoying. hating on health at any size is just an edgelord thing used to bully people online. instead of being like them you could just google what it actually is.

e: air pollution, toxic stress, food deserts, lack of education, lack of healthcare, tainted water, and so and and so on are huge contributors to poor health. But addressing those would involve spending tax dollars or reducing corporate profits. Neither of are really on the table in the US, so let’s all just plug our ears and pretend so many people are in poor health because Shaniqua just won’t put down the donuts! silly fatties!

gamer roomie is 41 has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Sep 9, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Equeen posted:

What I got from listening to Maintenance Phase is less “healthy at every size” and more “hey maybe we should go after corporations profiting off of making cheap and unhealthy products for the general public instead of constantly shaming fat people.”

sorry, best we can do is $1200/month drugs to counteract the unhealthy products

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theres city fat and then theres country fat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

goons hating stav when they look like him 😂

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

You’re right that it’s not a difficult concept to grasp but that has nothing to do with it. Everyone already knows that, including the medical and public health communities that advocate for healthy at any size approaches. Your weight is ONE factor of MANY that determine your health, but it’s not the ONLY one and is often not the most important. Health at any size does not involve in any way ignoring data that shows a correlation between weight and poor health outcomes. It just acknowledges “health” is the sum of many interconnected behaviors and external factors.

People need to hear this from trusted professionals, because our culture tells us it’s just about being skinny. That’s what leads people to eat only rice cakes and diet pills for a few weeks and think it’s “getting healthy”. That’s why health at any size is packaged like a movement, because it’s a push to change entrenched attitudes, processes, and policies that shape our understanding of what health is. It’s not about ignoring risks of being overweight.

People need to decouple the idea from the 4chan image of a squealing 600lb sjw stereotype shoving cookies in their face. It’s just shorthand for holistic health stuff that started becoming accepted mainstream medicine since the 1980s.

sorry for the novel but this is annoying. hating on health at any size is just an edgelord thing used to bully people online. instead of being like them you could just google what it actually is.

e: air pollution, toxic stress, food deserts, lack of education, lack of healthcare, tainted water, and so and and so on are huge contributors to poor health. But addressing those would involve spending tax dollars or reducing corporate profits. Neither of are really on the table in the US, so let’s all just plug our ears and pretend so many people are in poor health because Shaniqua just won’t put down the donuts! silly fatties!

too ture

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I am a fatshaming Chud

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
wouldn’t it make more sense to go with “you can be unhealthy at any size” since that’s what is actually be said?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

fr0id posted:

wouldn’t it make more sense to go with “you can be unhealthy at any size” since that’s what is actually be said?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I mean, the very name of the movement, "health at any size" is directly implying that someone can be healthy at any weight, which isn't true. Being obese (or unhealthily underweight) eventually causes health problems, in the same way as any other major health risk factor.

It's true that there's an issue of people treating being merely somewhat overweight (which can be fine in terms of health) as a health issue when it isn't, but the movement name itself says "any size" (and many of it supporters, as in your post where you used 300lb - a very obese weight for anyone regardless of height, unless they're like 7ft tall or something - as an example).

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
lots of fat people are funny including

John pinette
Ralphie may
Patrice O’Neal
John candy
Chris Farley

and after all laughter is the best medicine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

John pinette
Ralphie may
Patrice O’Neal
John candy
Chris Farley

lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

John pinette
Ralphie may
Patrice O’Neal
John candy
Chris Farley

don't forget our big rapper friends
Big Pun
Buff Love
Heavy D
Biz Markie
Notorious BIG

we love em!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the big bopper

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

theres an entire social media culture centered around influencers saying actually its good to be 450 pounds and intuitively eat pizza and ice cream for every meal but keep cooking, these are good posts

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

my bony fealty posted:

theres an entire social media culture centered around influencers saying actually its good to be 450 pounds and intuitively eat pizza and ice cream for every meal but keep cooking, these are good posts

Are they as successful as influencers who promote starvation diets and hawk snake oil weight loss products?

Edit: like do you really think some annoying fat people online are comparable to giant food companies spending millions on advertising and the entire weight loss industry lmao

Equeen has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Sep 9, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

two things can be bad

one's way more cringe tho

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Equeen posted:

Edit: like do you really think some annoying fat people online are comparable to giant food companies spending millions on advertising and the entire weight loss industry lmao

yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lizzo rear end bitches love to complain about stuff on the internet

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

don't forget our big rapper friends
Big Pun
Buff Love
Heavy D
Biz Markie
Notorious BIG

we love em!

Fat Joe

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fat Pat

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the big bopper

lol

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

People need to decouple the idea from the 4chan image of a squealing 600lb sjw stereotype shoving cookies in their face.

I can promise you that if Im talking about a hypothetical fat person, it’s a union captain who calls women broads and thinks blue lives matter and has pasta sauce on his shirt. 4chan and tumblr stereotypes never factor in. I’m doing MY part!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cael posted:

has pasta sauce on his shirt

I can relate

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Cael posted:

I can promise you that if Im talking about a hypothetical fat person, it’s a union captain who calls women broads and thinks blue lives matter and has pasta sauce on his shirt. 4chan and tumblr stereotypes never factor in. I’m doing MY part!

sounds like an afscme rep.

https://youtu.be/_3mw49mk_x0?si=NPC4Vym__Uug1jjf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You can make healthy choices at any size but at some sizes by definition healthy choices means choices that will lead to you not being that size anymore.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Will the Dems obsession with Ukriane while the country visibily falls apart around us hurt them with the so called "Normal Whites" more or less than Republicans screaming woke at everything?

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, the very name of the movement, "health at any size" is directly implying that someone can be healthy at any weight, which isn't true. Being obese (or unhealthily underweight) eventually causes health problems, in the same way as any other major health risk factor.

It's true that there's an issue of people treating being merely somewhat overweight (which can be fine in terms of health) as a health issue when it isn't, but the movement name itself says "any size" (and many of it supporters, as in your post where you used 300lb - a very obese weight for anyone regardless of height, unless they're like 7ft tall or something - as an example).

I know I'm beating a dead horse so I'll stop with the effort posts after this, but you're still missing the point. Yes you are right - there are risks to being over or under weight. That is known, understood, recognized, and factored into HAAS. But the thing is that "healthy" is a subjective term, and it is often not primarily determined by a person's weight at that moment.

(and psst don't tell anyone because we're not supposed to focus on this, but most diets activities and lifestyles that are considered healthy eventually lead to stable proportionate body weights over time anyway)

There's also the newer "fat acceptance" aspect of HAAS that gets a lot of negative attention, with angry redditors posting about how a bunch of hogs are commanding us between sloppy chewing noises to say fat rolls are beautiful and pledge that diabetes is fake blahblahblah. Mental health professionals that talk about HAAS are usually more focused on this aspect, because feeling ashamed of yourself and depressed and held back in your career and treated like a fetish doll (that he'll never ever tell his friends about) when you try to date and so on and so on; these things are - you guessed it - really bad for your health! Those effects do not get measured on a scale. Changing entrenched negative attitudes about fat people would do a lot to alleviate those harmful things so it's part of the mission.

Even the Wikipedia page for HAAS is a bit off-base due to back-and-forth editing slaps fights. It's too informed by the "fat acceptance" part that riles the people up. But if you dig around you can find some more grounded history, like the then-radical work underway at places like UCSF in the 70s/80s as they fought to incorporate a holistic attitudes towards patient care in medical curriculum (which HAAS is akin to).

At the end of the day, "Health at Any Size" is just a pedagogical approach that was misrepresented in order to be a punching bag for the right. Acknowledging that there are social determinants of health requiring policy-oriented (aka tax-funded or profit-reducing) solutions is unwelcome to them, and it doesn't take much digging to see how systems harm individuals' health. HAAS is part of a broader social justice movement and so was targeted like anything else of its kind. To the haters, having an easy visual indicator of unhealthiness–immediately explained away as the just result of purely individual choices–is much preferred over examining why that person might be unwilling unable or unsure of the need for intervention.

By now they pretty much won that one I guess which sucks because there is a solid evidence-based foundation for the concept. Oh well.

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah but those are fringe wackos. For every one of them there's a million socially-accepted influencers who present their disordered thinking around food and body image as "advice", and just because it results in a lower number on the scale people accept it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah but those are fringe wackos. For every one of them there's a million socially-accepted influencers who present their disordered thinking around food and body image as "advice", and just because it results in a lower number on the scale people accept it!

I hear ya on the idea of academic terms getting into wider use and being misinterpreted. However, the internet and social media and culture work quickly. Those fringe wackos are promoted by the algorithm. you have to constantly be fighting against this. and, frankly, you have to deal with the algorithm of media. be willing to just abandon terms that have become toxic rather than trying to fight them. millions of pedants tried to make “irony” fit its original meaning. it no longer does. you will get no where trying to fight the tide of social media.