Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
He's had cancer for the past 7 years and apparently those closer to him knew he was going downhill since the end of July or so. For the rest of the community it seems so sudden though, yeah.

He fought it for a long time though. I've lost loved ones to cancer within the week they found out they had it. poo poo loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Dizz posted:

I purchased the Sliver deck and would appreciate if someone had a list of potential cards worth getting that isn't that 300~ dollar sliver queen.

Aphetto Dredging fills the “old-bordered nonsense” role pretty well in a sliver deck.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm with Framboise on Sheldon's passing. I wasn't a big fan of a lot of what he said about the game, but no one deserves what happened to him. I also don't think his diagnosis was widely known in this thread at least. This is the first I've heard anyone bring it up.

Even if I didn't agree with a lot of his takes, he seemed kinder than most people in this hobby, and for that he'll be missed. RIP

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a fun thing to do with Tevesh Szat other than just pairing him with Thrasios for colors

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a fun thing to do with Tevesh Szat other than just pairing him with Thrasios for colors

You pair him with Kraum for colors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Pair with Rograkh for easy value boost, or just go with Tana for Jund token shenanigans.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hi thread. My friend runs a bunch of local events and convinced me to go out to one of his EDH gatherings and now I’m back on the dope after a ten year hiatus. I’m steering clear of all other formats except for EDH and drafts.

I’m wondering if there are any chill YouTube channels or websites where I can watch EDH games. I never got fully invested into the Internet era of Magic, and especially not what it’s evolved into now, so I wouldn’t know where to look.

I’m pretty excited for my Food and Fellowship precon to arrive in the mail. I already have a couple of upgrade routes planned out that I will proxy and test before buying cards to upgrade it with.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

kung fu jive posted:

Hi thread. My friend runs a bunch of local events and convinced me to go out to one of his EDH gatherings and now I’m back on the dope after a ten year hiatus. I’m steering clear of all other formats except for EDH and drafts.

I’m wondering if there are any chill YouTube channels or websites where I can watch EDH games. I never got fully invested into the Internet era of Magic, and especially not what it’s evolved into now, so I wouldn’t know where to look.

I’m pretty excited for my Food and Fellowship precon to arrive in the mail. I already have a couple of upgrade routes planned out that I will proxy and test before buying cards to upgrade it with.

Tolarian Community College has their Shuffle Up and Play series where they play EDH a lot. There's also Star City Games's Commander VS. Former pro Brian Kibbler and RC member Olivia Gobert-Hicks have their Youtube channel Commander at Home. Olivia is also part of Elder Dragon Highjinks. And of course, there's The Command Zone's "Game Knights" and "Extra Turns" series.

The Rule's Committee also has a Twitch channel that streams on Thursdays.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

man people REALLY get pissy when they realize they were kind of a prick and made the rest of the players have a bad time but don't want to actually process that or change their behavior, huh

had a guy bring a really obvious cedh deck to a mid-power pod, turn 1 tivit into turn 2 expropriate. we all said 'eat poo poo' and scooped in response to the five extra turns he was about to get bc why even bother playing at that point, which meant any points he wouldve earned for the three kills was immediately zeroed out by the penalties for killing people too early in the game (as this was a non-competitive event, it was literally loving FMN dude), and he spent the whole time putting away his deck/dice/etc bitching about how we shouldve "just let him play it out" and how we're "anti-fun" even though more than one person looked over and saw who it was/what deck it was and went 'oh yeah no i scoop whenever he tries that poo poo too'. and even went to the store owner and complained about how we were being unsportsmanlike. :rolleyes:

yeah dude. we're the ones who are the assholes here when we literally said before the game 'yeah this is about a 6' as the T0 discussion and you went 'yeah, me too :)'

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Tolarian Community College has their Shuffle Up and Play series where they play EDH a lot. There's also Star City Games's Commander VS. Former pro Brian Kibbler and RC member Olivia Gobert-Hicks have their Youtube channel Commander at Home. Olivia is also part of Elder Dragon Highjinks. And of course, there's The Command Zone's "Game Knights" and "Extra Turns" series.

In addition to these, LRRMTG has a few EDH-centric shows, and MTG Goldfish Commander is good

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mix. posted:

man people REALLY get pissy when they realize they were kind of a prick and made the rest of the players have a bad time but don't want to actually process that or change their behavior, huh

had a guy bring a really obvious cedh deck to a mid-power pod, turn 1 tivit into turn 2 expropriate. we all said 'eat poo poo' and scooped in response to the five extra turns he was about to get bc why even bother playing at that point, which meant any points he wouldve earned for the three kills was immediately zeroed out by the penalties for killing people too early in the game (as this was a non-competitive event, it was literally loving FMN dude), and he spent the whole time putting away his deck/dice/etc bitching about how we shouldve "just let him play it out" and how we're "anti-fun" even though more than one person looked over and saw who it was/what deck it was and went 'oh yeah no i scoop whenever he tries that poo poo too'. and even went to the store owner and complained about how we were being unsportsmanlike. :rolleyes:

yeah dude. we're the ones who are the assholes here when we literally said before the game 'yeah this is about a 6' as the T0 discussion and you went 'yeah, me too :)'

Fuckin pubstompers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Batterypowered7 posted:

To add to this, Tolarian Community College also has lots of videos with info regarding card sleeves, deck boxes, playmats, and others.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Batterypowered7 posted:

Silhouette posted:

In addition to these, LRRMTG has a few EDH-centric shows, and MTG Goldfish Commander is good

Hell yea, thanks folks! This will keep me busy until I can make it to another event. That and hanging in this thread.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Also there's a few smaller channels like Quintessential MTG, Kingdoms, and [REMOVED] that I watch EDH content from from time to time

Mix. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 9, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mix. posted:

Quintessential MTG

love these folks, great content. Gabriel is just a fuckin riot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Spike Feeders, Worst Possible Commander Show, Decked Out, also. There's a lot of EDH content out there!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
You can even see me on a bunch of those shows.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

RIP Sheldon. He undoubtedly had plenty of takes to disagree with, but he obviously deeply cared about the commander format and everyone who knew him said he was a stand up guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kung fu jive posted:

I would also recommend MTGMudstah for putting on a game or two and it's him narrating and editing, really calm chill voice paired with chill music. I'll watch a game or two to put me to sleep at times.

Commander Mechanic is a pretty good one as far as deck tech and outside the box ideas.

ScryBabies is a pretty good smallish channel female led fun gameplay, Quest for the Janklord is fun because it has a storyline narrative around its jank random EDH gameplay. I haven't paid attention to I Hate Your Deck since the Joe controversy snowballed into the even bigger poo poo about the main host and all his uncomfortable scummy poo poo when he was a movie director.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 9, 2023

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'll second Shuffle Up And Play, Commander At Home, EDH Hijinks, and Spike Feeders for fun, relatively chill Commander content. SUAP doesn't do Commander every week, but it's pretty frequent. Commander At Home is easily the closest I've seen to a real "friends sitting around the kitchen table playing Commander" show, EDH Hijinks is pretty similar but over the internet instead of everyone at the same table, and Spike Feeders is a split between Competitive EDH decks and casual, but they don't act competitive about it. It's a good introduction to the CEDH sub-format and fun to watch just to see the crazy poo poo that happens and the chess-like maneuvering. And the Spike Feeders crew are pretty fun in general.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jiro posted:

I haven't paid attention to I Hate Your Deck since the Joe controversy snowballed into the even bigger poo poo about the main host and all his uncomfortable scummy poo poo when he was a movie director.

the what :shittypop:

edit: jesus christ what the gently caress, rescinding my rec immediately

Mix. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 9, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mix. posted:

the what :shittypop:

edit: jesus christ what the gently caress, rescinding my rec immediately

Lmfao

I was wondering whether or not you knew when you made the recommendation.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dizz posted:

Holy poo poo that's such an abrupt death. RIP Sheldon

E: forgot I came here for a reason. I purchased the Sliver deck and would appreciate if someone had a list of potential cards worth getting that isn't that 300~ dollar sliver queen.

As a filthy sliver lover, there’s a number of things you can get for the deck to help it along.

Kindred Discovery
Kindred Dominance
Patriarch’s Bidding

All of those are solid typal cards to add to a deck like this. If you can get Sliver Hive for any reasonable amount of money, go for it. Same with like, Cavern of Souls (if you already own it, don’t buy it just for this deck IMO).

Get some more of the 5C slivers into the deck too. The First Sliver is basically always a bomb, and Legion is just fun. Also get a Homing Sliver in that deck.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmfao

I was wondering whether or not you knew when you made the recommendation.

i did not, but i didnt discover them until a few months ago so at least a year after it all happened :negative:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mix. posted:

i did not, but i didnt discover them until a few months ago so at least a year after it all happened :negative:

It really sucks man, they had huge potential. No one since has come close to being as drunk/high playing MTG for content since. It's also why I initially DIDN'T mention TableTop Jocks since I hadn't heard anything about Joe still not being a vindictive rear end when playing games.

I'm really really hoping MTGMudstah just stays in his safe Bob Ross bubble of narrating EDH games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There’s the current VHS secret lair which costs less than buying a First Sliver single.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

There’s the current VHS secret lair which costs less than buying a First Sliver single.

This poo poo looks A W F U L, though.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zurai posted:

I'll second Shuffle Up And Play, Commander At Home, EDH Hijinks, and Spike Feeders for fun, relatively chill Commander content. SUAP doesn't do Commander every week, but it's pretty frequent. Commander At Home is easily the closest I've seen to a real "friends sitting around the kitchen table playing Commander" show, EDH Hijinks is pretty similar but over the internet instead of everyone at the same table, and Spike Feeders is a split between Competitive EDH decks and casual, but they don't act competitive about it. It's a good introduction to the CEDH sub-format and fun to watch just to see the crazy poo poo that happens and the chess-like maneuvering. And the Spike Feeders crew are pretty fun in general.

yeah these are good and mostly what I watch, along with Playing With Power, which is cEDH focused (though they do side stuff) and has pretty high production values and a slightly different approach to content - most gameplay videos are edited and narrated to condense gameplay / summarize table talk rather than focusing on the social dynamics (which come out more in their supplementary videos), while remaining accessible and honestly not particularly competitively focused (they're playing competitive decks and trying to win efficiently over battle-cruiser magic but the focus is still on friendly in-pod play rather than meta considerations/tournaments)

it's not necessarily what you'll want to watch every time, but if you want to see good EDH gameplay its a solid pick I think

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

This poo poo looks A W F U L, though.

…I like it. It reminds me of renting Alien at Blockbusters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Was Shrldon in the Shut up andd Play game where no one could win or lose?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was Shrldon in the Shut up andd Play game where no one could win or lose?

Nah, that was Cosmonaut Marcus, Sam from Rhystic Studies, and Spice8Rack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, that was Cosmonaut Marcus, Sam from Rhystic Studies, and Spice8Rack.

Ah, thanks.

I know he was in a couple and he seemed like a good guy.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shut Up and Sit Down

Shuffle Up and Play

ok, got it out of my system, thanks everyone

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Y’all realize I need to spend some of my free time actually playing right?

Seriously though, this is an amazing list of recommendations. Appreciate you all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mix. posted:

gently caress, same. I heard about the drama with Joe when I was like "Hey he just hasn't been on the show for most of these episodes, what happened?" Lynch seemed so wholesome with how he just seemed to enjoy playing Magic with people and would bring on patrons occasionally. I guess abusive people frequently hide it well :smith:

E: I just looked through the OP for something else and noticed IHYD is recommended in the OP. So, uh, yeah.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 10, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Play to Win has become my favorite people to watch/listen to as of late. They're not the best at what they do and they misplay every now and then, and I don't agree with their takes all the time either, but it's nice to watch chill dudes play and talk about cEDH without being obnoxious/elitist tryhards about it. They just always seem to be putting having a good time over everything else and that's a vibe I can get behind.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 10, 2023

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TotalHell posted:

As a filthy sliver lover, there’s a number of things you can get for the deck to help it along.

Kindred Discovery
Kindred Dominance
Patriarch’s Bidding

All of those are solid typal cards to add to a deck like this. If you can get Sliver Hive for any reasonable amount of money, go for it. Same with like, Cavern of Souls (if you already own it, don’t buy it just for this deck IMO).

Get some more of the 5C slivers into the deck too. The First Sliver is basically always a bomb, and Legion is just fun. Also get a Homing Sliver in that deck.

If you don't mind. Could you share your mana base? not sure if i should slap in triomes in addition to working duals or just have a heavy set of basic mana, some extra forests, and running some land dropping ramp.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
All of the content recommends are good but only MTGmuddstah is "chill"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grevlek posted:

All of the content recommends are good but only MTGmuddstah is "chill"

I would say that depends on your definition. If you mean "low energy", then maybe. Otherwise, then EDHijinks, Commander at Home, and Spike Feeders are all pretty chill. Shuffle Up And Play is less so since the Professor usually stirs poo poo up for entertainment value, but the other three are definitely solidly in the "chill" category for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i find quintessential pretty chill but more in a 'group of obvious best friends having fun and messing with each other in a way only good friends can do' kind of vibe