Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

If the stories were good and matches were good why did it do poorly financially.?

Came after a really weak year that did a lot of damage to the company's key stars and markets and with some really stupid marketing ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

If the stories were good and matches were good why did it do poorly financially.?

Because quality and profitability are not closely intertwined.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not to mention that while the TV product was good WCW's house show business was ineptly run from the start so even if TV got hot it rarely transferred over due to a bunch of dumb WCW mistakes they really didn't correct till they hired Zane Bresloff in 94

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Came after a really weak year that did a lot of damage to the company's key stars and markets and with some really stupid marketing ideas.

Was 89 the year they moved their headquarters and offices to Dallas?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

89 was the first full year they were owned by Turner

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lotta great debuts that year too, muta, cactus, eddy i think, Scott Steiner!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Gary Hart isn't a bad heel manager. Al Perez and Shane Douglas both exist. The Fantastics are not the Midnight express outside the ring, but they are a good team inside the ring.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think they moved to Dallas at the end of '87.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Gary Hart isn't a bad heel manager. Al Perez and Shane Douglas both exist. The Fantastics are not the Midnight express outside the ring, but they are a good team inside the ring.

Hart is not on Heenan's level but he's honestly about as polished when it comes to speaking. He would probably have been even better if he was not also high as a kite on the dankest of bud at the time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gary Hart was the best manager of all time.

And then after that you can get into booking all the great stuff in wccw that lead to their boom period.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1700592094476202455

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1700595364770803838

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i always loved this and its something i wish dynamite would have done on the onset

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Conclusive proof that Hulk Hogan is in fact white.

Oh man, Bam's face at the end.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Lol at Bam Bam's reaction.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i always loved this and its something i wish dynamite would have done on the onset

I like the idea in theory but cases like this where they just did it during the match really annoyed me. Even if it wasn’t a big important match, it made the match and the wrestlers feel like such afterthoughts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another reason Cornette sucks: he said Gary Hart wasn't a good manager because he didn't do the "begging away" schtick that he'd do when confronted by a face. Sorry Jimbo, but while you're a sack of moldy potatoes in a ugly sports coat, Hart seriously looked like he stab you as soon as look at you. Which wasn't far from the truth (Hart carried a straight razor with him at all times, and once threatened one of the Fullers with it.)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gary Hart was cool as hell. He's one of those big time underrated managers/valets that I studied a lot of back in the day. Dude was captivating, a killer on the mic, and sold you on Abby by being convincing and cold himself. If someone who felt like they could take care of business is telling you his guy is a big deal, you believed it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
woody

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wood

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Man, I thought this poo poo was so cool and big time when they did it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TheKingslayer posted:

Man, I thought this poo poo was so cool and big time when they did it.

you can tell the jump from child to adult because as a child this owns and youre like the audience cheering all the funny lights and explosions

an adult is Bam Bam Bigelow looking like "just what the gently caress is this im trying to work here couldn't you have loving waited"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I wonder what the pyro budget was for your typical episode of Nitro

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hogan's contract probably somehow got him a cut of the pyro budget.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Davros1 posted:

Another reason Cornette sucks: he said Gary Hart wasn't a good manager because he didn't do the "begging away" schtick that he'd do when confronted by a face. Sorry Jimbo, but while you're a sack of moldy potatoes in a ugly sports coat, Hart seriously looked like he stab you as soon as look at you. Which wasn't far from the truth (Hart carried a straight razor with him at all times, and once threatened one of the Fullers with it.)

Gary Hart was 6'3 and around 240lbs, he can't really beg away. Dude was bigger than most of the wrestlers his guys were facing.

And also yeah, he was a proper tough guy and he had an amazing mind for the business.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Animal-Mother posted:

Hogan's contract probably somehow got him a cut of the pyro budget.

He probably owned the company that supplied them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also you want your managers to be different. If all of them are cowering cowards it really just lowers how effective they can be. Having one be a coward and another a tough guy means the acts are different which is a good thing!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
cornies top 5 best gimmicks: cowardly manager, cowardly gay manager, angry man, racist angry man, black person

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gary Hart wasn't a great manager but he certainly was a good one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Gary Hart was 6'3 and around 240lbs, he can't really beg away. Dude was bigger than most of the wrestlers his guys were facing.

Yeah, it takes talent to not overwhelm your guys when you're bigger than they are. Same with Slick.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
You're telling me Cornette has exactly 1 idea for what a wrestling manager should be and it's just a carbon copy of himself??? Unbelievable!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Cornette is the best cowardly manager, jj dillon was the best braggart who constantly was owned manager, hart was the best tough guy, ellering is the best why are you here manager, Paul jones was the best absolute psycho manager

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sherri was incredible and she committed 100% to whoever she was managing. I miss her.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s a manager at my local indie who sang an a cappella rendition of Batista’s theme while his guy came out doing the machine gun and the ring crew let off party poppers in place of pyro, he’s the best manager imo

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
Gary is not the best manager but his book is one of the best wrestling (auto)biographies.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
larry sweeney was one of the greatest managers of the modern era of wrestling and it depresses me he was taken from us far too soon

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Larry Sweeney was the first wrestling death that absolutely shattered me. He really was incredible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The worst part is Larry definitely would have fit in with AEW if he lasted a few more years

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Cornette is the best cowardly manager, jj dillon was the best braggart who constantly was owned manager, hart was the best tough guy, ellering is the best why are you here manager, Paul jones was the best absolute psycho manager

Honestly Heenan was the best cowardly manager until his back gave out. Just the complete package. Jimmy Hart was also really good but you have to watch Memphis stuff for it and that's not to all tastes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly Heenan was the best cowardly manager until his back gave out. Just the complete package. Jimmy Hart was also really good but you have to watch Memphis stuff for it and that's not to all tastes.

I've never watched Heenan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

I've never watched Heenan

best start