Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hadlock posted:

So I don't hate "Word Party" on Netflix, especially for the 2.5-3.5 crowd

If blippi and Vlad and Nikki are a 10 (or 11?) on the energy scale, this is like a 6, and teaches vocabulary and dealing with toddler emotions in a relatable way

If your kid is more into Spiderman and his amazing friends, check out Octonauts it's more like a 7.5 on the energy scale

My toddler loving loves Spidey and his Amazing Friends so I will check it out.

Tempted to remove his Spidey privileges though because he keeps shouting “I’m going to be Rhino!” And then charging around the house throwing and wrecking poo poo like Rhino.

Getting him to apologize and stop doing it is very funny to me though as he always clarifies: “yeah I was being Rhino”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

4yo getting into Odd Squad and imo it slaps, I get some real actual chuckles from the absurdist educational humor.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Octonauts season 5 is done and aired in the UK, it's not on American Netflix yet apparently. We watched that with our son, and tried with our daughter, but he wanted other shows being older so it's been a balance. There's several specials/movies too

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There's a ton of good shows out there for kids. Bluey, octonauts, Dinotrucks, Spidey, Mickey Mouse clubhouse, and more. We were trying to avoid Cocomelon and it's ilk but we relented when my son was sick and he wasn't utterly hypnotized by it which made us happy and brought it into the options.

The only one that we've hard blocked, to include hiding on the streaming services, is Blippi because it's pretty empty and the host is creepy. I looked at him for 3 seconds and went "this guy is a YouTuber". Yep, I was right.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

BadSamaritan posted:

4yo getting into Odd Squad and imo it slaps, I get some real actual chuckles from the absurdist educational humor.

Odd squad, mega wow, city Island, PBS has some good stuff

I definitely think there is a middle ground between between letting your kids pick an extra curricular or two and overbooking your family to the point of insanity.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My 4yo gets mad at me when I ruin the Work It Out Wombats theme by singing and dancing along with it, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to not because it slaps so hard?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My older kid loved odd squad growing up. It was very tolerable. I looked it up and it was shot in Toronto. You can tell the villians are most likely actors from local theater groups hamming it up. At least 3 actors from Kids in the Hall appear in an episode as well.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just a reminder for people using YouTube kids and hating the "recommended" videos - block those channels (view video, 3 dots, block) and the algorithms actually will stop recommending those style of videos. Took a week of checking it out and banning away and it's surprising how much better it is. Also having premium is nice that there's no ads either.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Dirty Needles posted:

As an aging man with the body that comes with years of sitting on my rear end at a computer I can say the injury risk of Jiu Jitsu is considerably lower than other contact sports, there's no striking and practice is generally a lot lower intensity than what you see in videos. The risk comes from the positions you end up being put in, joint injuries are the common one but there's no striking, takedowns/being thrown is as violent as it gets. Competing the risk certainly goes up as you're not being quite as considered.

Getting beaten up by the kids is the higher risk, the kids in the class before mine could rip the limbs off me, wee fuckers are made of rubber and spite.

Parenting thread: wee fuckers are made of rubber and spite

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I thought I'd be a cool dad and play who let the dogs out in the car since he's been singing it non stop since last Friday.

He made me put it on repeat for the entire 30 drive to school

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Nothing like the entire house getting covid to make me feel like a lovely parent. Wife and I are currently collapsed in bed with 0 energy while kiddo is on the couch downstairs binging tv. No one has had breakfast or anything. It’s been a bad week.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Emily Spinach posted:

Parenting thread: wee fuckers are made of rubber and spite

Ahh, the diapering years

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Blinkz0rz posted:

Nothing like the entire house getting covid to make me feel like a lovely parent. Wife and I are currently collapsed in bed with 0 energy while kiddo is on the couch downstairs binging tv. No one has had breakfast or anything. It’s been a bad week.

You can only do what you can, friend. We busted out the cartoons when our family got COVID in February and it was a life-saver. Rest up and I hope you feel better soon!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
What is a good book for talking about anatomy for a 5 year old? Our daughter was asking why mommy ate her when she was in her belly. I tried to explain the different internal parts but hard to do while driving and without visual aids.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

calandryll posted:

What is a good book for talking about anatomy for a 5 year old? Our daughter was asking why mommy ate her when she was in her belly. I tried to explain the different internal parts but hard to do while driving and without visual aids.

For a 5 year old, strongly recommend “It’s NOT The Stork”. They have a series of books that cover the same topics in increasing detail as kids get older, but the one for little kids is funny, factual, and well-illustrated.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Octonauts season 5 is done and aired in the UK, it's not on American Netflix yet apparently. We watched that with our son, and tried with our daughter, but he wanted other shows being older so it's been a balance. There's several specials/movies too

Literally just watched an Octonauts movie on Netflix (Saturn caves?), just kicked off ring of fire. Waiting for Mommy to get home from the airport

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My wife prefers Octonauts over just about all of the other kids shows. She's also a huge James Bond fan, and is pretty sure the Octonauts are there to recruit kids into SPECTRE. Look at the logos!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Pro tip: 3 years old is the worst age to take kids to Disney World. We’ve found that out this week!

My 3 yr old daughter loved it.

Her grandparents were expressly forbidden from taking her there while she visited, they did it anyway, and then they brought her back home to me with COVID, likely contracted at Disney World.

Guess how happy I am with them?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

My 3 yr old daughter loved it.

Her grandparents were expressly forbidden from taking her there while she visited, they did it anyway, and then they brought her back home to me with COVID, likely contracted at Disney World.

Guess how happy I am with them?

Oof.

To expound upon why it was a difficult trip for us: just the nonstop meltdowns. Every gift shop we were funneled into after a ride they wanted something, and when we said no it was a meltdown. Every ice cream shop we saw they wanted ice cream and when we said no it was a meltdown. The bus ride to the park was a meltdown because my son had to sit next to my wife instead of me because I needed to hold the stroller and there wasn’t any space for me to sit. Etc. When we took them when they were 2 the meltdowns were far less frequent.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mind_Taker posted:

Oof.

To expound upon why it was a difficult trip for us: just the nonstop meltdowns. Every gift shop we were funneled into after a ride they wanted something, and when we said no it was a meltdown. Every ice cream shop we saw they wanted ice cream and when we said no it was a meltdown. The bus ride to the park was a meltdown because my son had to sit next to my wife instead of me because I needed to hold the stroller and there wasn’t any space for me to sit. Etc. When we took them when they were 2 the meltdowns were far less frequent.

https://youtu.be/eYacdfsORec?si=gh31-9MsxFgG_YB- I think about this bit a lot now

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jumpsuit posted:

"Mind_Taker posted:
Pro tip: 3 years old is the worst age"

I'm really hoping that this is the case because jfc does 3 1/4 suck. Both reflexively and vindictively contrary and really pissed off about the "find out" part of life.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 9, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

A bit past the 3.5 mark here and it feels like things are starting to slightly improve.

…or I just might be wishfully thinking that.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I was at an art exhibit last weekend and stood next to two women talking about their kids for a bit and one of them said “you know, everyone says 2 is the worst age but 3 has been terrible.” My son turns 3 in January and he’s already pretty difficult! I’m at a stage where I just don’t even take him shopping with me anymore because he refuses to sit in the cart and won’t walk next to me :(

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not feeling very confident about the next year and a half now thanks to this page

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Not feeling very confident about the next year and a half now thanks to this page

My parents tell me the mere fact that I'm not confident in my parenting abilities makes me a good parent because at least that means I care. I'm not sure I buy what they're selling but it makes me feel better at least!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
My boss was talking about a friend of his who said "everyone talks about terrible twos and threenagers but nobody mentions the loving fours."

The toddler will be two in a couple of weeks and she can definitely be difficult. Between her and her sister, looking "forward" to the next fourish years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Coming up on 3 and so far doing pretty good. At least once a week we go into a random store (last week was the seasonal halloween store) and I just let her wander around, exploring, with me following. This seems to quench the need to run around the grocery store and look at things. It's also a nice vacation from the playground. We spent 2 hours in a Forever 21 (or similar) that she found once, over half of that was examining all the rhinestone jewlery she could see at eye level.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

Coming up on 3 and so far doing pretty good. At least once a week we go into a random store (last week was the seasonal halloween store) and I just let her wander around, exploring, with me following. This seems to quench the need to run around the grocery store and look at things. It's also a nice vacation from the playground. We spent 2 hours in a Forever 21 (or similar) that she found once, over half of that was examining all the rhinestone jewlery she could see at eye level.

I am going to try this tomorrow and see how it goes. I’ve been meaning to visit homegoods and check out the Halloween selection…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll be honest the Halloween store was maybe pushing the limits a little bit. They have motion activated displays that will lean out and start moving/flashing.

One motion activated display was going off when we walked in the door and my kiddo took my lead and she generally gave them a wide berth (10+ ft) but wasn't actively scared of them. Getting spooked by one that wasn't moving and then jumped out could have been a disaster

She thought all the creepy masks were pretty interesting, although we spent most of the time looking at kiddo costumes, particularly the Spiderman and Minnie mouse stuff

I've also set some very soft ground rules about not touching/picking up stuff from the shelves and she generally respects that, so YMMV

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 10, 2023

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I was talking to my 7yo tonight about a keepsake she has, and I ended with "you should cherish it."

She started cracking up and said "Daddy! You just said poo poo!"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Yeah same. Little Ms 1.5 is already trying to be super independent, I know it’ll get tougher from here. But it’s also so fun to see her grow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Letting them run ahead of me at the grocery store just means they try hauling out all the Pringles at the bottom shelf

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

We just hit 16 months and I'm also taking a deep breath.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The issue is mostly that their physical capabilities grow, and their mental awareness of what they can do with those capabilities alongside it. BUT their restraint system doesn’t come online until around 4! So they’re increasingly capable and increasingly aware of it, but without any real ability to stop themselves from doing whatever impulse comes into their head.

Distractions and rewards and rewards and distractions are key to aiming them in a direction you want them going. I bribed the hell out of mine all the time, but especially when I thought they were going to be in a tempting situation.

Kid wants to pull every box of cereal off the shelf at the grocery store? OOH HOW LONG CAN YOU BALANCE ON THE END OF THE CART??

Kid wants someone else’s ball at the playground? TIME FOR TAG WITH MOMMY HURRY RUN RUN!!!

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Another parent told me that if the twos aren't terrible, you have to look out for the threes. But it's usually one or the other. But I don't think it has to be. I think, like everything, it's dependent on the kid and the situations they are dealing with. We avoided some of the more major issues during those years just because it was the pandemic and we were at home most of the time. But now we're catching up on social skills instead.

And also immune system building. Hello first week of school and first sickness brought home from school.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I loved/am loving 3-4 years much more than 1-2. My kid is around 4.5 now and definitely has big opinions and boundary pushing but she makes jokes and tells stories and has such an imagination. There are pros and cons to every age and stage but I just don't want people to dread their kids getting older because it's a lot of fun too!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think it boils down to the parent too. Each age has its own highs and lows and your temperament will determine if the highs outweigh the lows. Some people just tolerate age 2 better than age 3 or vice versa.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my wife and I have vastly different parenting styles and the outcome in public is just as apparent

Kiddo cries a lot more with Mom than me, largely because she's way more strict with what she can do and how long she will let her do "bad" things (0 seconds)

Weirdly it's the exact opposite with bedtime, I'm militant about 8:30 bed time, but wife is a pushover and will let her stay up to 10 with endless time extensions

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kiddo is more interested in climbing up the slide than going down it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
So this brewery near us does a monthly family day with kiddie pools and toys in their big green space, free snocones and some dude playing interactive kid songs. It’s a great excuse for parents to drink in the shade while just generally making sure their kids don’t grievously injure themselves or anyone else.

Well kiddo took a break from his two hours of focused kiddie pool time to participate in the dance like various animals song. Totally bit it while galloping like a horse and had to cry in his dad’s lap for a sec…however he was apparently so determined to finish out the rest of the song that he climbed down and marched back to the dance floor with tears still in his eyes in his eyes.

I have never seen such party time commitment.