Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

You can skip it, there are modified versions of weapons all over the place once you start gaining levels and some of them are fully kitted out. I agree though, I feel like Bethesda took the crafting/building mechanics from FO4 and then sucked all of the fun out of it by turning resource-gathering into a slog and gating everything behind a large number of skill points. At least the spaceship stuff isn't too bad and doesn't require resources.

Yeah, I agree. I rather just, you know, break down weapons into parts then use parts to make things. None of this mining nonsense or picking through ten billion pens and pads of paper to find the hidden resources among all that junk. It's way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I am now destined to make tonka space-truck ships

My rebuild of the default cargo hauler:

And the big brother version:

This one has a super cool long-corridor thing going to the control room at the back. There is no 2x1 engineering bay or I'd have used that.

Guns are not mandatory but I prefer having them.

-------------
I also have a persistent glitch: If I edit/change ships it spawns them overtop of the old ones:

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 9, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Peachfart posted:

I think I figured out why the DLSS mod won't work(as in causes crashes) with my Gamepass install. It is due to a very specific set of circumstances I have going.
I am using Gamepass, but the game is installed to my F drive. When you install a Gamepass game to another drive, it creates a metalink to the files in the C drive and executes them from there. I am loading my mods via Vortex, which does the same thing on launch. But when I extract the DLSS mod to the Gamepass folder, not everything is getting replicated to the C drive launching spot.

That or I am going insane. One of those two.

And then I just tried for the 10th time and everything worked. Lol computers

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Volte posted:

The main issue is how boring the core and undercooked the main gameplay mechanics are. If mods were possible and someone completely redid the itemization (greater gear variety and specific ammo types) and perk system (so that they aren't mostly useless incremental dogshit) then the game could have been saved and I'd probably even replay it once in awhile. As it is, I was so bored by the gameplay that I barely dragged myself past the finish line.

On the bright side, it's only a matter of time until that happens, probably. Base Skyrim versus what I picture when I think of a Skyrim, or Fallout 4 for that matter, are insanely different.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't know why you would think that, I have not heard anybody say anything positive about that game since like, 2 weeks after it released. Also, Starfield has gotten pretty good reviews broadly so it's not like it's being panned.

Being a Bethesda game, an exclusive, being Todd Howard's creation, being in development for so long, being published by Microsoft, it brought a lot of baggage to the table.

Crazy hype, expectations, fanboys, haters, and scrutiny.

Yet The Outer Worlds was an above average Fallout clone that was far better received and scored than Starfield, and it had all the Bethesda shortcomings, without all the improvements and additions.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Outer Worlds was far worse than Starfield.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

explain what was bad about it, I've never played

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You know if they removed skill points/level system and just made all the challenges on by default and that is what leveled I'd enjoy this much more.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peachfart posted:

The Outer Worlds was far worse than Starfield.

People keep overcorrecting on the initial hype it got and saying it's the RPG Hitler, but in the end it was just aggressively mid. Like, a very weak 8. I like it more than SF so far in many aspects. The aesthetic was a lot more interesting . The companions weren't mindblowing by RPG standards, but they were somewhat better than SF's. Dialogue was often better. The world scale they chose ultimately worked better than SF's thousand procgen wastelands.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Chronojam posted:

On the bright side, it's only a matter of time until that happens, probably. Base Skyrim versus what I picture when I think of a Skyrim, or Fallout 4 for that matter, are insanely different.
I meant Outer Worlds. I'm sure Starfield will get its share of overhauls but at least the base game is better than Outer Worlds was.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Autoturrets do what it says on the tin right? Might make a big slow space freighter that takes two weeks to turn but has supershields and a bunch of turrets. I mostly just want an excuse to use that really cool cockpit that's two levels and has stairs inside

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

socialsecurity posted:

You know if they removed skill points/level system and just made all the challenges on by default and that is what leveled I'd enjoy this much more.

They should have looked at the very popular dozen or so perk mods for Skyrim and Fallout and figured out why people liked them. Oh, lots of things that everyone gets are behind just skill levels or baseline and perks are used for cool poo poo that really differentiates your build? What a novel loving thought.

Game developers just refuse to learn the lessons from their games and other games of how to design a good skill/leveling/ability system

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Maybe the wrong thread to ask in, but is the game as aggressively average as the reviews are making out?

I've not started it yet(and I'm pretty sure I'm still in the steam refund window) but i'm tempted to refund it and pick it up when it's inevitably 50% in 2 years with a ton of mods to "fix" things.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kin posted:

Maybe the wrong thread to ask in, but is the game as aggressively average as the reviews are making out?

I've not started it yet(and I'm pretty sure I'm still in the steam refund window) but i'm tempted to refund it and pick it up when it's inevitably 50% in 2 years with a ton of mods to "fix" things.

Idk I've played a couple hours on Xbox and the game seems good, definitely the game star citizen wishes it could be.

Pretty sure reviews for Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 4 were pretty average and now we have people getting nostalgic for the complexity of Oblivion,

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kin posted:

You should probably follow your gut on this one.

It is a mile wide and an inch deep, if that. Both on the procgen and handcrafted side.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is a mile wide and an inch deep, if that. Both on the procgen and handcrafted side.

Mile wide, inch deep, and actually pretty lousy to get into the water to begin with.

If it does go on sale for Black Friday/Winter Steam Sale, hopefully more mods that avoid a New Atlantis start will exist... assuming Creation Kit comes out.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

I am now destined to make tonka space-truck ships

My rebuild of the default cargo hauler:

And the big brother version:

This one has a super cool long-corridor thing going to the control room at the back. There is no 2x1 engineering bay or I'd have used that.

Guns are not mandatory but I prefer having them.

-------------
I also have a persistent glitch: If I edit/change ships it spawns them overtop of the old ones:

How do you make the super long hallway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok yeah i know enough about the uc now to conclude they are straight up evil

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hmm, that's the general consensus i was getting from the reviews i read.

I've just requested a refund for it. There's other stuff to play and by the time i get around to it, it'll probably be on sale anyway.

That and there being no space > planet transition (with some handwaving bullshit about it being "boring" by the devs). That kind of stuff was really cool when used in that Starlink game, so that's bollocks. That and a few of the other dev interviews I've seen just reek of damage control and spin to hide an utterly average thing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hancock strikes again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hi im a triple war criminal, but im also the clone of a m-m-m-m-monster war criminal

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kin posted:

Hmm, that's the general consensus i was getting from the reviews i read.

I've just requested a refund for it. There's other stuff to play and by the time i get around to it, it'll probably be on sale anyway.

That and there being no space > planet transition (with some handwaving bullshit about it being "boring" by the devs). That kind of stuff was really cool when used in that Starlink game, so that's bollocks. That and a few of the other dev interviews I've seen just reek of damage control and spin to hide an utterly average thing.

The devs are right

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

hi im a triple war criminal, but im also the clone of a m-m-m-m-monster war criminal

This character was so annoying, I skipped every line of dialogue as hard as I could.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kin posted:

I’d say that if you really like BGS games, you’ll find things to like. But I would also say that the retrofit of their mechanics to procgen abundance leaves a whole lot of rough edges and gaps in design, even as it’s uncommonly sound from a stability standpoint. You may well start curious about an aspect of play that seems cool only to discover you’re locked out of it by perk requirements and / or the way it doesn’t go very far beyond grind and radiant quests.

Bottom line, the handcrafted stuff can be okay-to-good, but go off the beaten path and it wears thin more quickly (imo) than doing the same in Skyrim or FO4, where there was always, at the very least, something to see.

I was really surprised, having rushed the first bit of the core story and then free roamed / radiant mission’d to about level 30, to discover that not only do the meatier side quests (working for UC military, becoming a space ranger, etc) have more bespoke-feeling encounters, they have stuff like aliens with abilities I never saw in free roam. Mole rat-style burrowing and sneak attacking, for example.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Loved every elder scrolls game, didn't enjoy any fallout games, really didn't enjoy starfield, if that lines up with you then id probably wait too

Every temple being a copy paste puzzle stuff did it in for me, I did about 8 of them and then just uninstalled and went back to my bg3 playthrough, and now some Uber modded skyrim

queeb fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 9, 2023

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

OctaMurk posted:

How do you make the super long hallway

<< Hopetech Hab Spine >>
They also have a similar sort of connector to go left/right instead of front-back

I HIGHLY suggest installing this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/721

It gives you all parts at any shipyard NPC - and removes the arbitrary limits on them, too - like the landing gear on my soviet-inspired chungus ship:

t
This one is almost entirely Taiyo parts with a few other scattered in there for odds and ends

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 10, 2023

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Neon is neat, but it makes me wish they had implemented some form of RT in the game. Of course, given how loving weird the performance in the game is, overall... well... maybe that's for the best. I need to go back there and really pick through things (and work for Ryujin).

I'm currently earning cash by murdering pirates and the Ecliptic mercs who keep trying to collect my bounty (Wanted trait is basically free money). I disable their ships and board them, murder the crews, loot everything, and then pop the ship and go sell the contraband and equipment. I don't care if that's efficient or not, it's fun.

I need to go back to Akila, too. There's just so much STUFF to loving do in the game. Right now I really want to get an outpost up and running so I have a consistent, centralized place to house materials and crafting. Then I want to build a larger ship with crafting on board, as well as a dramatically larger hold.

The more I do in this game, the more I want to do. It's not for everyone, sure, but I love it. (Disclaimer: I have an embarrassing number of hours in Skyrim.)

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

queeb posted:

Every temple being a copy paste puzzle stuff did it in for me, I did about 8 of them and then just uninstalled and went back to my bg3 playthrough, and now some Uber modded skyrim

this makes repeating temples significantly less annoying (they are still dumb) https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/1139

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
i don't give a poo poo about other BGS games in the last fifteen ish years and I'm really enjoying Starfield. there's a lot to do and none of it is perfectly handled, often even poorly handled, but it scratches a good itch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gonkish posted:

Neon is neat, but it makes me wish they had implemented some form of RT in the game. Of course, given how loving weird the performance in the game is, overall... well... maybe that's for the best. I need to go back there and really pick through things (and work for Ryujin).

I'm currently earning cash by murdering pirates and the Ecliptic mercs who keep trying to collect my bounty (Wanted trait is basically free money). I disable their ships and board them, murder the crews, loot everything, and then pop the ship and go sell the contraband and equipment. I don't care if that's efficient or not, it's fun.

I need to go back to Akila, too. There's just so much STUFF to loving do in the game. Right now I really want to get an outpost up and running so I have a consistent, centralized place to house materials and crafting. Then I want to build a larger ship with crafting on board, as well as a dramatically larger hold.

The more I do in this game, the more I want to do. It's not for everyone, sure, but I love it. (Disclaimer: I have an embarrassing number of hours in Skyrim.)

Yup, so much to do. I'm doing one main plot each go through, did the pirates first and now the UC, the cowboys for NG++ etc. Enjoying playing this fun videogame :twisted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just put on Lost in Space while trying to see how far back the endgame bug went and man this movie would've been a great hook for this game. Let's them do the retro future thing they know how to do, and immediately this space world is really fun, just land on a planet set up camp in their crashed ship, domesticate a few animals, go exploring and setting up science tech, and encounter a giant that the little kid kills. It's basically the intro to a videogame as it is.

Could have you start up with your retro future stuff, learn the gameplay loops, get attached, then finally repair dads old crashed ship at end of prologue and launch into space to find humanity had colonized other stars with more futuristic tech w/o the relativistic speeds to worry about like the old crashed one did.

Then having gone from an old time earthling, to a spaceman, to a swiss family Robinson kid on alien world, to spaceman again in a new era trying to acclimate, then become starborn and have the believable disconnection from time & place enough for it to be natural choice (or reject and embrace local compassion or whatever).

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

explain what was bad about it, I've never played

It's like 15 hours long and the writing is astronomically bad. You wander into a house and a family asks you to stay for "dinner" and it goes exactly as you'd expect with like zero deviations. Combat is also mediocre and the tutorial planet is a bit of a jebait since that's the only one with any real dilemma/variety, kind of like a tamer less egregious version of Cyberpunk's The Pickup mission which was a vertical slice of a game that didn't really exist past said mission. Only enjoyable part of it is mashing the homer simpson/zapp brannigan dialogue options every time they pop up

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Do I need pilot or starship or starship design to put a better reactor in my ship?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

Do I need pilot or starship or starship design to put a better reactor in my ship?

You can put a better class A one on. Class B and C will have better ones available, which is level 3 and 4 or piloting. there will be even better Class A ones that are not as good as class B or C at the various levels of starship design. You need both level 4 piloting and level 3 starship design to put the best reactors on.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Holy poo poo as veteran of Fallout/Elder Scrolls I am finding Starfield incredibly overwhelming.
Not the scope. Just all the various menus and navigation and controls.
And the first side mission I do I need a digipick to finish and I can't find one for love or money.
It's just making me scream internally.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Yup, so much to do. I'm doing one main plot each go through, did the pirates first and now the UC, the cowboys for NG++ etc. Enjoying playing this fun videogame :twisted:

This is actually a brilliant idea. I was debating whether I wanted to engage with the NG+ stuff at all (not that I know what it entails, I just know that it exists), but this gives me an incentive to do so.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ChrisBTY posted:

Holy poo poo as veteran of Fallout/Elder Scrolls I am finding Starfield incredibly overwhelming.
Not the scope. Just all the various menus and navigation and controls.

DaysBefore posted:

Skill issue

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Powershift posted:

You can put a better class A one on. Class B and C will have better ones available, which is level 3 and 4 or piloting. there will be even better Class A ones that are not as good as class B or C at the various levels of starship design. You need both level 4 piloting and level 3 starship design to put the best reactors on.

Think it’ll be faster and easier to just steal a ship with a better reactor

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

RandolphCarter posted:

Think it’ll be faster and easier to just steal a ship with a better reactor

You still need the pilot skill to fly the class b and c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mole rat-style burrowing and sneak attacking, for example.

I saw “spiders” that do that when freeroaming Akila I think