Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Chinese opera singer performed a Russian song in the Ukrainian opera house that Russia destroyed with between 300 and 600 women and children sheltering inside.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1700076233038393386

A really bad look for a country obsessed with hurt feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
well pointing this out actually makes YOU lose face, so there

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

free hubcaps posted:

Uh oh, looks like National Feelings are in danger of being hurt again!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-66737272

Didn’t take long for reports. Idk why pro-CCP media of all sites is reporting this:

quote:

A net user posted a video online on Wednesday claiming she was advised by staff members in uniform to leave the park for wearing Japanese clothes. According to the video clips, the woman was wearing traditional Chinese clothes in the style of the Tang Dynasty (618-907), during which time Japan had frequent exchanges with and got inspiration from China in various aspects.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202309/1297815.shtml

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 8, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1700132427128078556?newtwitter=true

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brutal Garcon posted:

From the Simpsons thread:

Mao

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

MrMoo posted:

Didn’t take long for reports. Idk why pro-CCP media of all sites is reporting this:

It lets them do "Perfidious Japanese are hurting our feelings with their foreign ways" and "Perfidious Japanese stole all their culture from us" at the same time.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

nerd plus rage posted:

It lets them do "Perfidious Japanese are hurting our feelings with their foreign ways" and "Perfidious Japanese stole all their culture from us" at the same time.

I personally found it funny that the outfits in the video looked a lot more like Korean hanbok. They can't even get their ethnocentrism correct.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

5er posted:

I personally found it funny that the outfits in the video looked a lot more like Korean hanbok. They can't even get their ethnocentrism correct.

Hanbok are basically Sui/Tang era Chinese clothing. But yeah they don't look Japanese at all. I guess that dude is a historical nihilist.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

It's hard to see through the tears when your feelings are so profoundly hurt.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

duodenum posted:

It's hard to see through the tears when your feelings are so profoundly hurt.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hanbok are basically Sui/Tang era Chinese clothing. But yeah they don't look Japanese at all. I guess that dude is a historical nihilist.

Hanbok actually isn't; ironically the now-forbidden kimono is what traces a more direct line to Chinese antecedents. Sui/Tang Chinese clothing was popular (actually mandated for a time in court under King Munmu in the 600s) in Silla-period Korea and despite what some Koreans will tell you most definitely had a knock-on effect on broader Korean fashion, but hanbok ultimately traces to nomadic dress. We have a bunch of surviving depictions going back to Goguryeo and you can see the through line to the present day.

here is an extremely twee rendition because it's the first one I could find:

Silla there is similar to Sui/Tang dress, but Goguryeo -> Goryeo (which had much of the same elite) -> Joseon is visible. Early Joseon jackets were much longer. The most transfomative changes (shifts in hair styles, bows, wedding attire) are actually thought to have come during the Yuan under Mongol influence.

This was (still kind of is) a raging internet slap fight between Chinese and Korean netizens a couple of years back. There's a kind of Chinese dress (late Yuan/early Ming aoqun) that closely resembles hanbok. Proof hanbok is Chinese, right? Well, no, it's actually because the Yuan/early Ming emperors demanded tributes of Korean women in their thousands for the palace harems which naturally had a transformative effect on elite fashion:

quote:

Among prominent officials and influential people in the capital city, acquisition of a Koryo woman has become de rigueur for one to be considered a leading light. The Koryo women are amiable and yielding; they excel in serving [their lords] to such a degree that they often win [his] favor [away from other women]. Since the Zhizheng reign period, most of the palace stewards and attendants in the imperial palace are Koryo women. For this reason, everywhere clothes, shoes, hats, and utensils all follow the Korean style
That's a 14th century Chinese writer observing with a more level head; there's a bunch of period poetry more flatly complaining about the plight of Chinese women in comparison.
As near as I can tell, the PRC party line is basically that cultural influence during the Mongol Yuan (and Manchu Qing) went one way: the barbarian cultures getting snuffed out by the light of Chinese civilization, so this and myriad other examples of the foreign influences having pretty profound impacts on Chinese culture at the time is something that like, vanishingly few Chinese netizens seem to be aware of.

Korean netizens, on the other hand, are hyper aware, at least of there being something vaguely to do with some part of Chinese dress coming from Korea. This, of course, became all Chinese dress is Korean as the netizen consensus, which an unfortunate number of Koreans have been more than happy to keep shouting in every corner whenever the topic comes up, turning what's actually kind of a cool part of their history into something that sounds completely stupid.
I haven't been watching the debate for a while so maybe it's evolved past that a bit now, but that was the state of things for a while anyway.

This is an example of the late Yuan / early Ming hanbok-inspired Chinese dress from a Chinese drama from a few years back:

It's worth stating though, it isn't identical; Silla dress isn't identical to Sui/Tang, either. Despite (as we can see with the new ban in the PRC) cultural clothing being a pretty nationalism-charged topic, it's like, one of the most ephemeral parts of human cultures a lot of the time, and changes constantly. In premodern times different local fabrics, dyes, manufacturing techniques make it impossible to replicate things exactly even when it's desired (and China's neighbors did try plenty), and even beyond that everything has its own spin from fashion.

Anyway, eventually the Ming Yongle emperor had a campaign purging foreign influences, trying to recover some 'pure' pre-Mongol Chinese culture, and the Korean cultural elements (and lots of indigenous Chinese ones too; the campaign is not viewed positively by historians. Honestly, Ming sucks.) got expunged around then. So, not that I have to convince anyone here otherwise, but no Chinese dress after then (until today, lol) comes from Korea; Joseon male court attire actually adhered to Chinese styles more closely than any previous part of Korean history. On the flip side though, despite what lots of Chinese netizens want you to think, hanbok well precedes that influence; even going back to ancient times it isn't really Chinese at all.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 8, 2023

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MrMoo posted:

I mean why wouldn’t they want to dunk on the guy who can’t even recognize Chinese clothes?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koramei posted:

Korean netizens, on the other hand, are hyper aware, at least of there being something vaguely to do with some part of Chinese dress coming from Korea. This, of course, became all Chinese dress is Korean as the netizen consensus, which an unfortunate number of Koreans have been more than happy to keep shouting in every corner whenever the topic comes up, turning what's actually kind of a cool part of their history into something that sounds completely stupid.

You ever go to Wikipedia and when it's an article about something and there is a section about "use of x around the world" and the Korean section will be like as long as every other one put together

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'll never forget that crazy korean dude who started his own organization that existed to prove chili peppers originated in korea

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Of course. They originated in the Great Hwan Empire before the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GoutPatrol posted:

You ever go to Wikipedia and when it's an article about something and there is a section about "use of x around the world" and the Korean section will be like as long as every other one put together

i actually had a korean guy try to explain this in Civilization terms to me at one point. he dissolved into mostly incoherent ranting about how the USA is going for a culture victory and is already mostly there, but they're doing it by stealing culture mostly from Korea

best loving drink i ever bought a man. i don't think i've ever been so entertained.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Isn't that why the Korean government spends so much money promoting K-pop outside of Korea? I know that they were extremely choked when Psy became popular in the US instead of [generic Korean boy band].

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Korean culture is certainly ascendant in the US. Korean comics, music, and tv are all finding a very receptive audience right now.

How’s Chinese media doing? I know that gay Chinese fantasy novels are pretty dang popular with young women right now but my understanding is that the CCP disapproves of them due to their implicit homosexuality

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm at Kansai airport rn and the flights to China are all full and stuffed with duty-free shopping bags. Life goes on, and life is good.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

thetoughestbean posted:

Korean culture is certainly ascendant in the US. Korean comics, music, and tv are all finding a very receptive audience right now.

How’s Chinese media doing? I know that gay Chinese fantasy novels are pretty dang popular with young women right now but my understanding is that the CCP disapproves of them due to their implicit homosexuality

Yeah, Korean pop culture is doing VERY well with Gen Z. One of my cousins is entering college and is asking me all kinds of questions about "working in Korea." It is like how Japan was idolized in the 80s and 90s with anime.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My daughter watches endless K-dramas

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

thetoughestbean posted:

heard of genshin?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the funniest poo poo was after winter sonata was a surprise hit across asia a lot of women were under the impression that korean guys are really romantic and wanted to go there to find a husband. I imagine a not insignificant number ended up having a paris syndrome type experience.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i think sometime in the 90s south korea looked at how Japan and the US both used soft power/pop culture and realized they were in a position to do the same, obviously k pop is massive now but I also remember korean horror/thriller movies like oldboy and the host in the early 2000s having massive buzz here in the US when they released.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

I imagine a not insignificant number ended up having a paris syndrome type experience.

I personally witnessed a LOT of meltdowns from people who came to Korea because they wanted to live out their kdrama fantasy and were very surprised.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

free hubcaps posted:

i think sometime in the 90s south korea looked at how Japan and the US both used soft power/pop culture and realized they were in a position to do the same, obviously k pop is massive now but I also remember korean horror/thriller movies like oldboy and the host in the early 2000s having massive buzz here in the US when they released.

the turning point for the korean movie industry was the 1999 movie Shiri. it's not even particularly good, just a by the numbers attempt at imitating hollywood, but it made a huge amount of money in korea and showed there was a demand for domestically produced stuff in that style. that's why there was suddenly a flood of notable korean movies coming out in the early 2000's.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

The Raid 1/2: I, too, hate throats

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I personally witnessed a LOT of meltdowns from people who came to Korea because they wanted to live out their kdrama fantasy and were very surprised.

Oh, do tell.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Coolguye posted:

The Raid 1/2: I, too, hate throats
The Raid was Indonesian…?

Watching the sequel felt like work, but some of the mook badguy run-ups near the end of the first were more facepalm-worthy than the Big Badguy fighting several minutes with a shard of glass in his neck.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh mb, i watched the raid a very long time ago and only really remember throatpunching

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, not Korean. Though SK do seem to have a disproportionate number of good action and thriller movies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Borscht posted:

Oh, do tell.

I don't remember any that are particularly interesting to retell rather than witness. Just people bowled over to discover sexism and racism are alive and well there or there's trash all over the place or gay people are discriminated against or whatever. I've never watched more than five minutes of a Korean TV show so I don't really know how they portray things.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, not Korean. Though SK do seem to have a disproportionate number of good action and thriller movies.

Yup. The TV and music are dogshit but there are a lot of good movies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yaffle posted:

My daughter watches endless K-dramas

i don't get k-dramas. i've fully watched one (coffee prince), and i see how they influenced the production values of the korean adaptation of leverage (2008), but i catch glimpses of them on tv sometimes and they're all the same stupid formulaic bullshit. their absurdity is trash-tier compared to mexican or filipino telenovelas, it's just a bunch of ajummas crying and being dicks to people.

basically, show your daughter mari mar and she'll become disillusioned with k-garbo

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The absurdity is part of the point, really, it’s an antidote to western TV. Not for everyone but clearly it’s for lots of people. Imo the Kdramas that try to mimic western style realism/grittiness are the ones that fall the most flat.

KDramas from today are also practically a different entity to ones from 2008. There’s been a huge shift in production culture throughout the mid 2010s with a bunch of movie directors getting in on the action. If you hated them back then you’ll probably still not be for them now but whatever you saw on a bus TV in 2013 (which are gonna be soaps for the most part too) isn’t gonna be the same as what gen z raves about today.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
A lot of the issue with korea among expats is that most people get sent to the Korean equivalent of Pohucky, Nebraska and wonder where the actual culture is. Everything interesting in Korea happens in Seoul, which is kind of a shame but it is what it is.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
When I want to check out at the end of a day, a good K-drama is like a cozy blanket. I know that eventually those two people are gonna kiss, maybe even a few times. I know whatever dark secret is going to turn out to be something out of their control but that they work hard to make amends for. I know everyone has a job that lets them go across town for a coffee four times a day. And the comedy will be terrible, but oh well.

Watch Would You Like a Cup of Coffee?
Nothing happens. All non-problems are solved with coffee. It's wonderful.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 9, 2023

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Coolguye posted:

i actually had a korean guy try to explain this in Civilization terms to me at one point. he dissolved into mostly incoherent ranting about how the USA is going for a culture victory and is already mostly there, but they're doing it by stealing culture mostly from Korea

best loving drink i ever bought a man. i don't think i've ever been so entertained.

I knew a couple of Korean women at university who believed the craziest poo poo. I remember them being drunk and explaining to me how Koreans were technically a different and somehow better species of human than your regular homo-sapiens. Some business about how volcanos had advanced Korean evolution. The starting point of them expounding this theory was that they didn't need to use protection when loving non-koreans as they wouldn't get pregnant (not being regular humans you see).

There was also a lot of stuff about Chinese and Japanese people stealing all of their culture from Korea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. Me too. I met koreaboos/kimchi cheerleaders in the small towns that I lived/taught in that were immensely surprised and disappointed that the people in a small fishing village 4 1/2 hours bus ride south of Seoul weren't all smooth faced non threatening plastic surgery nightmare pretty boys wearing absurdly expensive clothes and doing choreographed dances on their way to th emarket.

But this isn't a Korea only phenomenon. In Japan, I have met grown adults who seem angry that seem angry that their encyclopedic knowledge of Dragonball Z is met with polite bafflement by the normal Japanese people they meet, and that most of the country isn't Akihabara.

Edit:

Koramei posted:

A lot of the issue with korea among expats is that most people get sent to the Korean equivalent of Pohucky, Nebraska and wonder where the actual culture is. Everything interesting in Korea happens in Seoul, which is kind of a shame but it is what it is.

This is true. It is often said that in Korea, if it didn't happen in Seoul, then it didn't happen. If it happened in Busan, then it might have happened. Anywhere else, who the gently caress cares.

When I was there I lived in Namhae, (a small fishing village on an island just off the south coast), Asan, (the second last stop on the metro, about an hour and a bit away from Seoul), and PyeongChang, (up in the mountains where they held the Winter Olympics.) Small towns, forced me to learn Korean, no K-Pop, full of ajummas, and I absolutely loved it. But I am the outlier, coz as said a lot of people I have talked to about their time in Korea hated it because they lived too far away from a McDonalds, and never got to see Song Jung-Ki walking down the street.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 10, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

BrigadierSensible posted:

In Japan, I have met grown adults who seem angry that seem angry that their encyclopedic knowledge of Dragonball Z is met with polite bafflement

Should have moved to Mexico instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I knew a couple of Korean women at university who believed the craziest poo poo. I remember them being drunk and explaining to me how Koreans were technically a different and somehow better species of human than your regular homo-sapiens. Some business about how volcanos had advanced Korean evolution. The starting point of them expounding this theory was that they didn't need to use protection when loving non-koreans as they wouldn't get pregnant (not being regular humans you see).

There was also a lot of stuff about Chinese and Japanese people stealing all of their culture from Korea.

my favourite thing I've heard along these lines is koreans having a unique kimchi-dependent physiology