Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time now before the Free Website updates for 10th ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I don't know if all armies are updated but I'm seeing points updates for Eldar have already been updated on the "New Recruit" army list platform - https://www.newrecruit.eu/app/MySystems

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Grey Knights have also had their points updated.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated. Right now, looking at the Warhammer Community website the official rules link still has the outdated description for some things, and has not been updated in some time. So it would seem if you want the complete and accurate set of rules you need the rulebook and the balance data slate, and if you have index cards you need the index card pdf as well. I am curious as to their intentions with the available Tyranid index on the WH Community site. If they leave it up will it be updated to reflect the changes in the codex? It seems like things could get really confusing really fast with the different documents floating around.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated. Right now, looking at the Warhammer Community website the official rules link still has the outdated description for some things, and has not been updated in some time. So it would seem if you want the complete and accurate set of rules you need the rulebook and the balance data slate, and if you have index cards you need the index card pdf as well. I am curious as to their intentions with the available Tyranid index on the WH Community site. If they leave it up will it be updated to reflect the changes in the codex? It seems like things could get really confusing really fast with the different documents floating around.

The app was fully updated on Thursday and it seems GW want that to be the go-to option, which makes sense. If you look up a rule all of the changes have been integrated with no obvious sign anything has changed.

I expect that at some point they will issue revised versions of core rules & index PDFs, like how they updated the indexes in July. That probably won't happen for every balance update though as it likely involves a lot of work getting things formatted & translated.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am interested in seeing how GW balances keeping all their different source material updated.

Their attitude is this:

1) You should be a warhammer+ subscriber and get all the rules updated and points values and build the list in the app. It's the most convenient thing to do.

2) Don't worry if you don't subscribe though, you can use the code in the back of your codex to access the latest version of your codex on the app.

3) Listen if you're not downloading our app you're frankly just being awkward. If you insist on being awkward though we will still help you. You have free balance data slate, FAQ, errata, and points documents to download and use with your codex. I know that sounds like a lot, but that's because you refuse to use our app!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do we know if 2 is true for everybody or just subscribers?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Do we know if 2 is true for everybody or just subscribers?

I'm sure they mentioned that everyone will be able to see their codex digitally in the app under "reference" you just can't access the army builder if you're not a subscriber.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

You should be a warhammer+ subscriber and get all the rules updated and points values and build the list in the app. It's the most convenient thing to do.

Says a lot about GW's attempt to roll out this digital stuff when almost no one fully understands which parts are free and which are paid for.

• The only (legal) way to see datasheets & rules for a faction with a codex is to have the code from the back page. Without the code you can just see the unit names & points values.
  • If you download the app you can access the core rules, indexes, and can save a single list in the army builder for free.
  • That single list can be for any faction, even if they have a codex and you didn't register the code.
  • A WH+ subscription gives you the ability to save more than one list in the army builder. That's literally all it does. A subscription does not give you access to codex rules.

tl;dr in order to get the most from future digital content they want you to pay for redundant paper copies. Yes it is daft.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

I'm sure they mentioned that everyone will be able to see their codex digitally in the app under "reference" you just can't access the army builder if you're not a subscriber.
They've apparently softened on that, the free army builder allows a single list.

I had two lists from each of the factions I collect pre update and can still edit at willso maybe I got halfadozen lists grandfathered into the free app?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just spent about 30 minutes playing with the builder app and it seems pretty good, except for a few really odd things about the interface. Instead of being able to add in unit upgrades with a single click I have to go back and modify other things and that is sometimes not clear. I imagine it would have taken more programing time to implement a clean solution, so their solution is to throw an error when your selections don't match the written rules. While that works it is a bit cumbersome. Especially if you are configuring 5 guard troop choices. On the other hand, its not like you are going to be doing it all the time.

While the app is good I don't think it is worth a subscription cost at this time, given that competing products have free apps or webforms that outperform this one, in particular OPR and Malifaux. Perhaps others that I do not know about as well. A big difference is also that my 2000 point army of Dkok, if purchased from GW/Forgeworld comes in at around 1.8k-2.2k, so I feel like they can make the tools that are fairly integral to playing their game both good and accessible for free.

Edit to add:
If they wanted to add a paid tier then they should add some "wow" features. When I hit export instead of giving the world's most simple text dump, do that, but also create a pdf that has smaller/scaled down index cards that are up to date for all my units and the strategems/army rules for my subfaction. That way when I have a list I really like I can hit the export button, print two copies of the pdf, and then both my opponent and I have quick and easy references for everything I have when we play. And if they did the same it would potentially reduce unpleasant gotchas and speed up play.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 9, 2023

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The A Song of Ice and Fire minis game has the best app I've ever seen and I started playing it on the strength of how easy it was to use. You can quickly find all your stuff and your opponents stuff and the export feature makes a perfectly formatted PDF for printing with every single rule on it. Edit: it's free

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
[

xtothez posted:

tl;dr in order to get the most from future digital content they want you to pay for redundant paper copies. Yes it is daft.

Yes sorry forgot to say in all three steps you buy the codex. It's just one of them you basically never need to open it again and just use the app, one of them you use the app and a notepad to write lists, and in the final one you reference 4 different documents and write a list in a notepad.

hoiyes posted:

They've apparently softened on that, the free army builder allows a single list.

I had two lists from each of the factions I collect pre update and can still edit at willso maybe I got halfadozen lists grandfathered into the free app?

I've not seen anything about that, it wouldn't surprise me if this is intended to sort of do a "soft" removal of the feature while it all calms down and then they just remove the feature.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I reckon they should've kept the army rules reference free, and make the codex code unlock the ability to build a list for that faction in battle forge.
Being able to browse other factions rules is not only really useful for researching your opponents, but also works to get people excited about factions they might not have bought into yet.
I really hope GW eventually moves towards codex books being like 5% rules for, eg, crusade, and leaving the rest to be the really interesting stuff that I want a book for, eg background information, scenario suggestions, terrain building ideas, and hobby advice.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kitchner posted:

[

Yes sorry forgot to say in all three steps you buy the codex. It's just one of them you basically never need to open it again and just use the app, one of them you use the app and a notepad to write lists, and in the final one you reference 4 different documents and write a list in a notepad.

I've not seen anything about that, it wouldn't surprise me if this is intended to sort of do a "soft" removal of the feature while it all calms down and then they just remove the feature.

I can verify that you can build a list for free, but it looks like you are limited to just one, and I don't know how long it will last. I just downloaded the app today and I don't pay for any subscription services from GW and it let me build an Astra Militarum list. I didn't try to build a tyranid list with it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I bought wayyy too much tyranid poo poo today.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raged posted:

I bought wayyy too much tyranid poo poo today.

well, after you let it decompose in the death guard compost heap, it'll be great for your ork garden!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Codex is out for shipping today, luckily i dont have any games this week so i should be able to get it by the time i do another match

However ill definitely wait until the space marine codex is out before running any crusade stuff so that both my sides have all their options and abilities.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Also, is there a way i can make a detachment of orks thats only gretchin, squigs, squighogs,Squigosaurs, beastboss on squigosaur, mozrod skragbad and Zogrot Worstsnagga?

That sounds like an immensely wierd and fun army i coule totally see myself getting into if i ever make an ork force lol

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
No new Tyranids for me

They didn't recieve enough Biovores from GW so Element Games held back the whole order. Curse you James Workshop :argh:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, is there a way i can make a detachment of orks thats only gretchin, squigs, squighogs,Squigosaurs, beastboss on squigosaur, mozrod skragbad and Zogrot Worstsnagga?

That sounds like an immensely wierd and fun army i coule totally see myself getting into if i ever make an ork force lol

I basically have this army, so yes. No normal squigs, though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lol, some big UK minis seller just sent me insanely poor quality recast GW Vostoryans, and is insisting they are real. The seller hid the extremely obvious problems by hiding the side profile. Now the seller is insisting that they are just miscasts, that I have very bad luck to get 4 of them all at once, which is my entire order. They have vent flash cast onto them, and from the pic you can see just how distorted they are. I think they used different silicones for each side of the mold. I've never seen a casting quite so bad that was being passed off as real.

I'm blown away, you can hide that in a picture, but surely no one thought I'd not notice once I'm holding it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

Lol, some big UK minis seller just sent me insanely poor quality recast GW Vostoryans, and is insisting they are real. The seller hid the extremely obvious problems by hiding the side profile. Now the seller is insisting that they are just miscasts, that I have very bad luck to get 4 of them all at once, which is my entire order. They have vent flash cast onto them, and from the pic you can see just how distorted they are. I think they used different silicones for each side of the mold. I've never seen a casting quite so bad that was being passed off as real.

I'm blown away, you can hide that in a picture, but surely no one thought I'd not notice once I'm holding it.

This is the kind of thing I think about when you read those comments in different corners of the internet on recasts being “even better quality than the original”.

Which bits seller was it?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Literally everything Tyranid is out-of-stock on GW right now except for the Parasite of Mortex and barbguants.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Barbagaunts are really good units more people should buy them

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah I still have most of my leviathan Tyranids despite actively trying to sell them, but the barbs and ryans sold basically immediately.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Uggh, all my chaos lists end up with 45 points to spare. The downside of using named characters is no wiggle room for Enhacements.

I wish they let you buy, I don't know, an extra CP for 30 points to round out spare points. The good thing about cultists and such is that you would also grab a few more mooks to make it an even count.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Sephyr posted:

Uggh, all my chaos lists end up with 45 points to spare. The downside of using named characters is no wiggle room for Enhacements.

I wish they let you buy, I don't know, an extra CP for 30 points to round out spare points. The good thing about cultists and such is that you would also grab a few more mooks to make it an even count.

Nurglings are 35 points a unit, can infiltrate and deep strike, and can still do actions and stuff even if they can’t hold objectives.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gently caress chaos knights look cool

I forced myself to paint up my 1k Grey Knights before getting a wandering eye, but now my eye... how it wanders

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Chaos knights are awesome but war dogs haven’t been in stock anywhere for like nine months

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Coldbird posted:

Nurglings are 35 points a unit, can infiltrate and deep strike, and can still do actions and stuff even if they can’t hold objectives.

Ohh, that helps! Well, not my World eaters, but it's something. I think I can get some from a friend. Thanks!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mr Teatime posted:

This is the kind of thing I think about when you read those comments in different corners of the internet on recasts being “even better quality than the original”.

Which bits seller was it?

Not going to name and shame, at least yet. They were very combative with me at first, but seem to be relenting. I don't know how you could ever think that was a legit model though. They have a good reputation, so this is very surprising.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Not going to name and shame, at least yet. They were very combative with me at first, but seem to be relenting. I don't know how you could ever think that was a legit model though. They have a good reputation, so this is very surprising.

It could legitimately be a miscast that made its way out of GW. They always had the attitude of bad QA but excellent CS and replaced everything with little question.

I recall buying both a BFG Battleship and Epic Warlord titan. Both ended up in the pile of shame for years before I sold them still unopened to buyers that reported a titan had 2 left legs and a battleship missing half a hull. These were both direct from GW mail order.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

It could legitimately be a miscast that made its way out of GW. They always had the attitude of bad QA but excellent CS and replaced everything with little question.

I recall buying both a BFG Battleship and Epic Warlord titan. Both ended up in the pile of shame for years before I sold them still unopened to buyers that reported a titan had 2 left legs and a battleship missing half a hull. These were both direct from GW mail order.

I bought multiple models across multiple listings, all have the same distortion. Plus the vent channel flash wasn't removed before recasting and is now cast in place folded against the model. I'm grabbing more photos, these are hands down the poorest quality recasts I've ever seen. It isn't missing stuff, it is squished horizontally.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think I have a whole bag of terribly metal recast Empire heads and torsos in a large bitz box. The faces are have barely any detail. :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think more counterfeit vostoyans exist than legit ones, even with the semi-recent made to order.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of miscasts, I got the weirdest miscast in my lictor kit today.

It's a miscast base! You can see how the plastic didn't go all the way into the injection mould. Never seen that before.

Went back to the store to exchange the whole kit to get a replacement for it. Turns out 50mm bases are like the only base I don't have spares of, and GW has that new customer service policy where if you get a bad bit in your kit and you bought through a retailer, it's the retailer's responsibility to address it

(And then while I was there I bought the biovore kit and some hormagaunts because I am a mark.)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

I think more counterfeit vostoyans exist than legit ones, even with the semi-recent made to order.

Yeah, I'm sure I have a few, but if I cannot tell then I can't really fault anyone. I don't really care for recasting, but if I get one I'm still going to paint and use it. The ones I just got aren't even usable, they are that poorly made.

To add, I'm an Epic grognard, I have forumware in my collection, I can deal with bad casts. These are even beyond old epic dudes casting their homebrew minis in the garage levels of poor quality.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 10, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Speaking of miscasts, I got the weirdest miscast in my lictor kit today.

It's a miscast base! You can see how the plastic didn't go all the way into the injection mould. Never seen that before.

Went back to the store to exchange the whole kit to get a replacement for it. Turns out 50mm bases are like the only base I don't have spares of, and GW has that new customer service policy where if you get a bad bit in your kit and you bought through a retailer, it's the retailer's responsibility to address it

(And then while I was there I bought the biovore kit and some hormagaunts because I am a mark.)

They didn't have a few bases on hand to just replace that? Seems a bit much to replace the whole kit for just a base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bird food bathtub posted:

They didn't have a few bases on hand to just replace that? Seems a bit much to replace the whole kit for just a base.

I thought the same at first, and if the lictor used any other base size I'd have concluded the same!

It's not the sort of game store that carries extra base kits, and 50mm bases are weirdly rare. I remember having to buy a set of three extra from GW direct when I decided to build my necron wraiths, because my wraiths were from an older package back when wraiths were on 40s. (Well, not "having to buy," technically I guess they'd still be legal, but wraiths on 40mms were notoriously prone to falling over and I didn't want to deal with that.) There's no 50mm bases in any of the GW sculpted base kits, and none of their variety base boxes have 50mms in them either.