Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

holy moly, I do think this is a great generation of footballers for Japan and this was just a friendly. But that definitely puts pressure on Germany's coach. 1-4 at home...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

the sex ghost posted:

Shite that. England are back baby

Extremely cool one of the world's best players is being played out of position to accommodate a player who's retired to play walking football in Saudi Arabia

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Extremely cool one of the world's best players is being played out of position to accommodate a player who's retired to play walking football in Saudi Arabia

seriously why the gently caress is jordan loving henderson starting for england in the year of our lord 2023

rice, bellingham, and foden in the middle, kane, saka, and grealish/rashford/maddison up front

IT WRITES ITSELF

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Ulio posted:

holy moly, I do think this is a great generation of footballers for Japan and this was just a friendly. But that definitely puts pressure on Germany's coach. 1-4 at home...

First the economy and now this..

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If Henderson plays a massive role in the game on Tuesday maybe it’s time to panic, but not running Bellingham into the ground in the first international window after he’s been carrying the Bernebau on his back seems sensible. Henderson’s also probably the most drilled at covering for an attacking full back out of the three, which lets Walker do more?

Think for me, the front six is less 3 & 3 and more 2 & 4/ 2 & 3 & 1, with those 4 interchanging a lot;

Code tagged with no thoughts of actual played position or knowledge of football and missing someone obvious.

pre:
First Choice || Second     || U21/ Youth   || Purple Patch / The Mark Noble Zone

Rice         || Phillips   || ESR / Skipp? || 
Bellingham   || Henderson  || Jones?       || Loftus-Cheek

Wide -
Saka         || Rashford   ||              || Bowen
Grealish     || Sterling   || Gordon       || 

Central - 
Foden        || Maddison   || Elliott      || Gallagher / Mount / Ward-Prowse
Kane         || Wilson     || Palmer       || Watkins?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66765708

"Hansi Flick sacked by Germany as Euro 2024 hosts lose patience"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Total Meatlove posted:

If Henderson plays a massive role in the game on Tuesday maybe it’s time to panic, but not running Bellingham into the ground in the first international window after he’s been carrying the Bernebau on his back seems sensible. Henderson’s also probably the most drilled at covering for an attacking full back out of the three, which lets Walker do more?

Think for me, the front six is less 3 & 3 and more 2 & 4/ 2 & 3 & 1, with those 4 interchanging a lot;

Code tagged with no thoughts of actual played position or knowledge of football and missing someone obvious.

pre:
First Choice || Second     || U21/ Youth   || Purple Patch / The Mark Noble Zone

Rice         || Phillips   || ESR / Skipp? || 
Bellingham   || Henderson  || Jones?       || Loftus-Cheek

Wide -
Saka         || Rashford   ||              || Bowen
Grealish     || Sterling   || Gordon       || 

Central - 
Foden        || Maddison   || Elliott      || Gallagher / Mount / Ward-Prowse
Kane         || Wilson     || Palmer       || Watkins?

lmao England fans are embarrassingly small time, suppose that’s what happens when your boys can’t win a trophy since 1966

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Thanks Ants posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66765708

first German coach in history to be sacked

would love to know if they did him dirty or if they offered him the chance to resign and he was like, "lol no gimme that payoff" but in a very german voice

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
enjoying the direland/ned 90 minute penalty shootout/asskicking contest

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Germany being bad at football and Scotland being good is probably another sign of the apocalypse.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sandwolf posted:

lmao England fans are embarrassingly small time, suppose that’s what happens when your boys can’t win a trophy since 1966

‘97 and don’t you forget it

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Thanks Ants posted:

Fernando Santos gotta be next. Poland lost to Albania and is now fourth in group E.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Japan beating Germany is fun.

Japan putting a final cheeky goal on a completely unmarked header in injury time to drive home the point is art.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Slovakia 3-0 up over Liechtenstein inside 7 minutes :captainpop:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

This will surprise you, but Bernardo and Bruno are pretty good and Portugal is better without Ronaldo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Simpsons stop he's already dead dot jpeg

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So many journos weeping because they missed a chance to use “decimate” in a headline

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
hope ronalado never retires. they're so good when he's not there

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shrapnig posted:

So many journos weeping because they missed a chance to use “decimate” in a headline

if you're the journo assigned to portugal v luxembourg you definitely wrote your piece before the game and then went to the pub instead

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

tristeham posted:

hope ronalado never retires. they're so good when he's not there

Ya it's crazy how much more fluid they look without Ronaldo. I do think Ronaldo has played well in the matches I saw him, he actually seems way less selfish when playing for the national team. But their front 3 should definitely be Leao - Ramos - Joao Felix. Ronaldo could be a great impact player off the bench but ya he has to basically retire otherwise its hard to bench him unwillingly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ulio posted:

Ronaldo could be a great impact player off the bench but ya he has to basically retire otherwise its hard to bench him unwillingly.

They did it during the World Cup but Roberto Martinez is a cowardly manager so I doubt he'd have the stones to do it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

They did it during the World Cup but Roberto Martinez is a cowardly manager so I doubt he'd have the stones to do it.

Ya and Ronaldo had a argument with the manager about it. Also the guy got sacked since they lost the quarters but their best performances were without Ronaldo starting or when Ronaldo would get benched. I am sure Fernando Santos's relationship with Ronaldo had something to do with the sacking and not just losing in quarters closely to Morocco. If they sacked their Euro winning manager, I do think they won't have a problem with sacking Martinez if he pisses off Ronaldo. Ronaldo is too important to the FA and brings them a lot of money. If Ronaldo had a brain he would know he has a better chance of winning if he was starting on the bench. This Portugal side is absolutely stacked with talent, they definitely could win with Ronaldo still featuring off the bench. But Ronaldo thinks too highly of himself, which was fine when he was younger and the best player in the world but it's his time to take a different role. Or if it's humiliating for him to stay on bench he should retire from international.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
normal decision

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/16gxeyw/south_korea_penalty_shout_vs_saudi_arabia_35/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Not worth the risk of dismemberment.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's very funny that Phillips is getting more games for England than man city

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Andy "Referees Badly" Madley

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

It's very funny that Phillips is getting more games for England than man city

You need atleast one player who isn't getting any game time in the starting 11 with Maguire on the bench.

I really play Scotland wallop England just to see the English media rip Southgate apart. He has enough goodwill to get through the Euros but his football is boring and he has outstayed his welcome.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

The overwhelming, deafening chorus of boos during the England national anthem made me so happy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I hope Scott McTominay scores 11 goals and Kane makes a face.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can Kane make faces?

also

lynch_69 posted:

The overwhelming, deafening chorus of boos during the England national anthem made me so happy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

One other than gormless, sorry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hoping for some true :sickos: moments in this game

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can we talk about Foden's new "47" neck tattoo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is smelling like a collapse

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

This is smelling like a collapse

Ya feel like the Scots needed to keep it at 1-0 till half time. But their defense just looks asleep lol.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Robertson is poo poo, has been since the pandemic.

Elsa Maria
Jun 7, 2013
lmao scotland :scotland:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
anthony taylor is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That was a pretty loving bad tackle from Phillips