Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I keep reading M26 and I keep thinking of the Pershing medium tank.

Then the M26 hand grenade.

For gently caress's sake America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I sure do like the M1

:thumbsup: America

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Mederlock posted:

I sure do like the M1

:thumbsup: America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY3RLn2V6D0

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1700577905518977399#m

quote:

⚡️Over the last 24 hours, enemy losses in the Tauride direction amounted to 321 people (irrecoverable - 81, wounded - 233, captured - 7).

This was reported by the commander of the operational-strategic group of troops "Tavria" Oleksandr Tarnavskyi.

40 units of enemy military equipment were destroyed, including the Zoo radar. Also, 8 ammunition depots and 2 enemy control points were destroyed.
General Tarnavsky said today that they managed to take out another Zoopark radar system on the southern front, along with 8 ammo depots.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

HappyHippo posted:

IDK, after loving around for years, a lot of pieces of poo poo have been finding out in 2023

U.S. billionaires are safe because they maintain a system of kayfaybe and intermediaries so whoever is in power doesn't feel the need to murder his way through the elites to remain safe. Musky thinks he can just ride entire industrialized nations like he was Paul riding the sand worm and he's about to find out Leviathan can get really really angry.

We are post "ah, well!" territory. Trump loving with u.s. intel was what popped his :matters: field and it looks like musk is doing the same.

naem
May 29, 2011

zone posted:

I like how millions of people fell for Phony Stark's PR bullshit and social media charm offensives and think he's some visionary that'll somehow radically change things for the human race, never mind that most of that work, indeed almost all of it, is being done by the people working for him, and not by Muskmelon himself.

if Musk had invested in early Twitter before it got popular due to a vision it could be big, and the money he supplied allowed for that growth, he could then pat himself on the back years later for being smart and good etc. He could strut about as quite the figurehead and take some credit

buying it after it has peaked while it struggled to be profitable, and running it straight into the ground, while being extremely racist/right-wing etc, yeah not time to strut anymore there guy

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

weg posted:

Has anyone said Tsarlink yet?

:siren::siren:Congratulations!:siren::siren:

You have coined a New Phrase!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

weg posted:

Has anyone said Tsarlink yet?

:chanpop:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

naem posted:

if Musk had invested in early Twitter before it got popular due to a vision it could be big, and the money he supplied allowed for that growth, he could then pat himself on the back years later for being smart and good etc. He could strut about as quite the figurehead and take some credit

buying it after it has peaked while it struggled to be profitable, and running it straight into the ground, while being extremely racist/right-wing etc, yeah not time to strut anymore there guy

Also the whole failed pump and dump scheme forcing him to make some attempt at purchasing Twitter, having that bluff called, contractually throwing away any opportunity to get out of the purchase, and then only actually purchasing it in order to stop discovery from revealing something so damning that spending $44 billion on Twitter was the best option he had.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Galler posted:

Also the whole failed pump and dump scheme forcing him to make some attempt at purchasing Twitter, having that bluff called, contractually throwing away any opportunity to get out of the purchase, and then only actually purchasing it in order to stop discovery from revealing something so damning that spending $44 billion on Twitter was the best option he had.

Who was financially backing the deal, and more than likely the tweets by several quite prominent American politicians who’s names are making GBS threads up everything everywhere to the embarassment of Americans that actually care.

Twitter had measures in place initially if I remember right that made it hard to shut it down tht lead to the Arab Spring, and my personal theory is that fact scared the poo poo out of authoritarians globally so Musk just happened to be the useful idiot that got caught holding the bag- and here we are.

The 99% can’t have nice things.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HonorableTB posted:

It's so bad that Russian doctrine is to assume it will be unavailable in battle. When it does work there's a margin of error +-50km. That's scratching the surface of how bad it is

Is that a case of their receivers being trash? The actual satellite network is worse than GPS, but it should still be within, say, 20 meters; ref ESA republishing Russian data that they can easily verify.
Alternatively, I found a Chinese paper that looks at how the quality of GLONASS varies by latitude. They think it is comparable to GPS up north, but worse around the equator, which would make some sense.

It's also used as supplementary data for GNSS receivers in most phones - I walked out on my veranda right now, and my android phone is merging 9 GPS, 7 GLONASS, and 5 Galileo satellites to get a position lock. If the data was so bad it would put you tens of kilometers wrong, I can't imagine it'd be worth it to include them in the fusion?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

What about it? It's not quite as precise as GPS or Galileo, but it seems to be functional and independent.
(Though IIRC their number of satellites has always swung between "barely enough" and "not quite enough")

Do you have a source for that? It's a navigation system that's pretty commonly available in consumer tech and works reasonably well, for once it's a Russian project that's by all accounts shockingly not a Potemkin village

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm cynical on Musk facing any sorts of consequences for anything ever, please prove me wrong.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Karate Bastard posted:

Does it have to be Russian nukes? Can we not nuke Elon's ball sack with US nukes?

Drop his balls in the demon core and slap the top on so it goes critical.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Blistex posted:

Drop his balls in the demon core and slap the top on so it goes critical.

the demon core got melted down and reconstituted with other material because it was so cursed lol

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

steinrokkan posted:

Do you have a source for that? It's a navigation system that's pretty commonly available in consumer tech and works reasonably well, for once it's a Russian project that's by all accounts shockingly not a Potemkin village

Sure! I found another better one while digging around.

J. Mohammed, T. Moore, C. Hill, R.M. Bingley, D.N. Hansen,
An assessment of static precise point positioning using GPS only, GLONASS only, and GPS plus GLONASS,
Measurement, Volume 88, 2016, Pages 121-130,
ISSN 0263-2241,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2016.03.048.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0263224116300161

Or, you know, a free copy of the preprint.

Conclusion posted:

In this paper, the achievable repeatability and accuracy from PPP (Precise Point Positioning) daily solutions when using GPS only (PPP GPS),
GLONASS only (PPP GLO), and GPS plus GLONASS (PPP GPS+GLO) for static positioning has been assessed. As
part of the assessment, a comparison with global DD GPS daily solutions has been presented. Based on the RMS of the
repeatabilities of the weekly solution coordinate estimates, and the RMS of the differences between the PPP daily
solution coordinate estimates and the global DD GPS daily solution coordinate estimates, it is shown that all of the PPP
daily solutions can achieve millimetric level repeatability, similar to the global DD GPS solutions. Furthermore, the
mean of the biases between the PPP daily solutions and the global DD GPS daily solutions are constellation type
dependent, while an improvement is found in the Up component for PPP GPS+GLO over PPP GLO, as the latter may
be more affected by any imperfections in the models for GLONASS antenna phase centre variations.
It is concluded, therefore, that PPP GLO daily solutions have the ability to be used as independent solutions to PPP GPS
daily solutions for static positioning, and as an alternative to PPP GPS+GLO or global DD GPS daily solutions.

Note that this is for the "bolt a receiver to a building to see if it moves" use case, where you have hours or more to let the position settle. It could be that their equivalent of AGPS sucks, and it could be that the variance over shorter timespans is huge. I'll see if I can find something more relevant.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 9, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Is that a case of their receivers being trash? The actual satellite network is worse than GPS, but it should still be within, say, 20 meters; ref ESA republishing Russian data that they can easily verify.
Alternatively, I found a Chinese paper that looks at how the quality of GLONASS varies by latitude. They think it is comparable to GPS up north, but worse around the equator, which would make some sense.

It's also used as supplementary data for GNSS receivers in most phones - I walked out on my veranda right now, and my android phone is merging 9 GPS, 7 GLONASS, and 5 Galileo satellites to get a position lock. If the data was so bad it would put you tens of kilometers wrong, I can't imagine it'd be worth it to include them in the fusion?

It's primarily because the amount of satellites in the glonass constellation is barely sufficient. They require 24 for a full constellation and 18 just to cover Russia's territory. If you use 2/3 of your satellites for your own territory and the remaining 1/3 for the rest of the planet that's going to produce some problems with accuracy. They also had worse onboard clocks compared to western GPS satellites and that produced less accurate positioning

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
There is no reason those in power are in power. They know this, and that's why they are afraid.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
How soon until the fall Raputista starts?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HonorableTB posted:

It's primarily because the amount of satellites in the glonass constellation is barely sufficient. They require 24 for a full constellation and 18 just to cover Russia's territory. If you use 2/3 of your satellites for your own territory and the remaining 1/3 for the rest of the planet that's going to produce some problems with accuracy. They also had worse onboard clocks compared to western GPS satellites and that produced less accurate positioning

True, but Ukraine is presumably within the zone where they have good coverage?

e: I think I've found where the 50km number is from. There was an outage in 2014, and there's a BBC story showing a receiver being about 50km off.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 10, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sucrose posted:

How soon until the fall Raputista starts?

If Ukraine is lucky, they'll have around seven more weeks before the Rasputitsa arrives in full.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

zone posted:

If Ukraine is lucky, they'll have around seven more weeks before the Rasputitsa arrives in full.

I'm dubious about how much bad weather will affect the offensive. Given the offensive now appears to be mostly done on foot, I assume that mud is bad, but maybe not that bad?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh and Ukraine blew up like 2.5 BTGs worth of tanks yesterday and 6 batteries of arty.

The Russian army is progressively becoming technically hampered by the Ukrainian armys ability to destroy these systems before pushing into the areas. So the Russians don't retreat until it's too late and the systems end up being annihilated. I mean if they lose another 1,000 artillery which they're on track to do over the next three or four months I don't know what the gently caress they're going to be able to do. I mean we've seen Russians complaining that nothing is coming out from their side but they're just getting hammered all day long by Ukrainian artillery so that's going to get worse. They're ability to counter battery is already stupid. We saw that when a d30 blew up a loving SPG and nobody seemed to understand why it was so goddamn important to me to keep saying it.

Y'all remember world of tanks when a loltraktor would hit a t10 tank and cripple its track causing said tank to get blown up by bigger tanks?

Yeah.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tehdas posted:

I'm dubious about how much bad weather will affect the offensive. Given the offensive now appears to be mostly done on foot, I assume that mud is bad, but maybe not that bad?

During the Kherson offensive, Ukraine fought through the mud season until November and forced Puccia to retreat from Kherson city and its surroundings.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh and Ukraine blew up like 2.5 BTGs worth of tanks yesterday and 6 batteries of arty.

The Russian army is progressively becoming technically hampered by the Ukrainian armys ability to destroy these systems before pushing into the areas. So the Russians don't retreat until it's too late and the systems end up being annihilated. I mean if they lose another 1,000 artillery which they're on track to do over the next three or four months I don't know what the gently caress they're going to be able to do. I mean we've seen Russians complaining that nothing is coming out from their side but they're just getting hammered all day long by Ukrainian artillery so that's going to get worse. They're ability to counter battery is already stupid. We saw that when a d30 blew up a loving SPG and nobody seemed to understand why it was so goddamn important to me to keep saying it.

Y'all remember world of tanks when a loltraktor would hit a t10 tank and cripple its track causing said tank to get blown up by bigger tanks?

Yeah.
There have been recent reports as of today that Puccia is putting self propelled artillery 5 km from contact zones because their worn out barrels make them useless beyond that range. Drone units have damaged or destroyed many such pieces as a result.

To make matters worse, General Tarnavsky said that another Zoopark radar was destroyed today on the southern front, lol and lmao

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I refuse to believe anyone would actually play a game that dorky.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One last link for the GLONASS discussion: Leica did some tests of their stationary position equipment in Shanghai back in 2014, and if I'm reading this correctly - and I very much may not - GPS and GLONASS had roughly similar quality and time to fix there.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

zone posted:

I like how millions of people fell for Phony Stark's PR bullshit and social media charm offensives and think he's some visionary that'll somehow radically change things for the human race, never mind that most of that work, indeed almost all of it, is being done by the people working for him, and not by Muskmelon himself.

Saw a Tesla a few weeks ago with a personalized license plate that said "TY ELON"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Computer viking posted:

One last link for the GLONASS discussion: Leica did some tests of their stationary position equipment in Shanghai back in 2014, and if I'm reading this correctly - and I very much may not - GPS and GLONASS had roughly similar quality and time to fix there.
iirc PRC does something weird with GPS because they think it will interfere with US military guidance in the event of an attack?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On a completely different and definitely not Musk related subject. I just got an email that I thought I would share since this thread raised a significant chunk of change for Maui relief.

quote:

Aloha HCF ‘Ohana,

One month ago, Maui experienced a tragedy that no one will ever forget. We are all still processing—and our hearts go out to everyone on Maui still grieving the incredible loss.

We activated the Maui Strong Fund the morning after the fires—and the response has been humbling, to say the least. In 24 hours, the fund received $3 million. In just four days, more than $17 million. And today, the Maui Strong Fund has received more than 265,000 contributions, totaling more than $104 million, from more than 45 countries around the world.

>From individuals on Maui, to people and businesses across Hawai‘i and beyond, to those who have visited Maui and know how special the people and place are—so many of you have shown up with generosity and compassion in an incredible way. Please know, we are sincerely humbled by the trust you’ve shown in us to help Maui recover.

Our CEO and President, Micah Kāne, wanted to share this video to give you a special mahalo.
As of today, the Maui Strong Fund has announced $17.7 million in grants to 91 partners on the ground who are meeting evolving needs, such as animal welfare, food and everyday supplies, shelter and lodging, mental health and grief counseling, and more. There is incredible work happening, with people showing up tirelessly each and every day with energy and hope, and we can’t thank those of you doing this critical work enough.

We will continue to provide regular updates, highlighting the work happening on the ground. You can also find a complete list of grantees and detailed descriptions of their efforts here, along with our four-phase approach to disaster response, which helps guide our grantmaking, here.
This is only the beginning. We know that the recovery process will be long and challenging, and we are committed to supporting Maui for as long as it takes.

Mālama Pono,
All of us at Hawai‘i Community Foundation

Related to Musk - he could single handedly double the amount of funds for Maui disaster relief and not even notice the money was gone, but lol.. helping people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

When is Ukraine going to be sent Rifters from the minmatar Republic

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Right after they get sent a battalion of elite Hork-Bajir warriors

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That sounds too good to be true? Link?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Charlz Guybon posted:

That sounds too good to be true? Link?

I'll find the link for you. But just to ask what do you think a Btg Has in terms of tanks? It's like 7 tanks probably

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 10, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1700053248655204408?s=20

Some of these loving statistics are just startling. Like 6,000 artillery pieces have been destroyed.

Which brings us to the point that was made about the Russian artillery being like 5 to 10 km outside of the contact line. And if we'll remember from a couple days ago the Russians were saying that nothing they had could actually outrange the Western artillery. Partly that's technological advance but maybe it's also that the Western systems can sit at their max range and still reach the target with a high level of accuracy and the Russian counterparts just cannot.

It would also explain why a couple leopards have been smoked by artillery. They're essentially using the artillery units as anti-tank guns because that's all they are good for at this point.

I really don't know where Russia goes from this point. And I've said that a few times, I didn't know it feels like I'm at a breath saying it but the war is not getting any better for them. I mean Putin just openly admitted that the war is loving crippling their economy. I mean I don't know that there's any way that they can just kind of call it good other than abandoning the donbass in its entirety.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 10, 2023

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I really don't know where Russia goes from this point. And I've said that a few times, I didn't know it feels like I'm at a breath saying it but the war is not getting any better for them. I mean Putin just openly admitted that the war is loving crippling their economy. I mean I don't know that there's any way that they can just kind of call it good other than abandoning the donbass in its entirety.

If I were Putin, I'd abandon all occupied territory and fall back to Crimea. Fortify the poo poo out of it, and put every free SAM along its coast, and hope that Western support wanes, and people start telling Ukraine to just forget about Crimea and sign something. Then declare victory and have a fatal poop related fall.

What I think Putin will do is bleed his military dry and Ukraine will take Crimea at a heavy cost instead of an abhorrent cost.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1700053248655204408?s=20

Some of these loving statistics are just startling. Like 6,000 artillery pieces have been destroyed.

Now, obviously Oryx's numbers are just the floor and the real numbers are higher, but that doesn't mean the Ukranian estimates are accurate either. The number is going to be somewhere in the middle.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blistex posted:

If I were Putin, I'd abandon all occupied territory and fall back to Crimea. Fortify the poo poo out of it, and put every free SAM along its coast, and hope that Western support wanes, and people start telling Ukraine to just forget about Crimea and sign something. Then declare victory and have a fatal poop related fall.

What I think Putin will do is bleed his military dry and Ukraine will take Crimea at a heavy cost instead of an abhorrent cost.

Ukraine may attempt to break out of their Beach heads in Kherson in a few more weeks of draining the units on the southern front. I mean they've literally created a cauldron of sorts. To which all the units that Russia can rely on to be somewhat effective are being ground into paste. I mean the entirety of the air assault portion of the Army is committed to defending the highway leading to Tokmak. They can't even defend their whole front at this point. With Verbove precariously between Russian defenses, Ukraine was able to drive a wedge with hardly as much resistance as they've experienced over the past month leading up to these penetrations.

It's sometimes odd to see people complaining about the speed at which this counteroffensive is going. I think they expect of course the kherson effectiveness, and want to betray this like Ukraine wasted all of their manpower taking kherson and now can't do the same forever. But that's just not loving true. At this point Russian forces are the most concentrated they will be, and decisively destroying their equipment wins you the war. Speed may win you the battle but wars are fought not only with manpower and the infantry locking rifles but also the logistical side of things. Russia's burn raid equipment-wise is so high that they have to constantly sacrifice quality to continue the defense. They're burning the candle with 12 wicks in it. And sure those weeks of lasted 2 years but year three of the war is going to be just as bad as world War 1 for Russia. The attacks are going to become more deadly the troops are going to become weaker. And the veterans of this military will be long dead. I mean as the economy weekends, the government stability starts to weaken as well. I mean we're seeing the fuel prices soaring as well as bread for credit so it will come to a head. And soon the winter is coming. Fuel prices being very high means that Russians are going to have a not enjoyable experience. Other things are going to become more scarce, that's when the government really has to start tightening the grip that it already has. That's when you start seeing sting operations to eliminate Black market sources because the government's robbing them to keep the higher ups way of life going. Citizens being abducted and sent to a war that they are destined to die shortly after arriving.

I mean this poo poo is loving grim it's something out of a horror novel at this point, it's just a matter of time they will turn Uber authoritarian abduct people and launch a surveillance state that the world hasn't seen since the Gestapo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'll find the link for you. But just to ask what do you think a Btg Has in terms of tanks? It's like 7 tanks probably

It's one company of tanks and three companies of IFVs. A Russian armored company is three platoons of three, plus the company commander's track. Ukraine also uses this organization, and it's why the US is sending 31 Abrams, three companies plus the battalion CO's vehicle. US/NATO use a 14-vehicle company, 3 platoons of four, plus the company CO and XO in their own vehicles.

The BTG will also have some organic artillery and air defense as available. That's a fairly dense concentration of firepower, but they're brittle. A BMP-3 only carries 7 troopers, so a company is 63 rifles. The BTG as a whole only has 189 infantry, which you can run out of pretty quickly in an assault. They're good for one hard blow, and then they need rebuilding

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like this war is not only going badly for Russia, but will leave Russia defenseless for a good while in its aftermath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

It sounds like this war is not only going badly for Russia, but will leave Russia defenseless for a good while in its aftermath

Nukes are a great defense!