Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/106207, via tgsa)

prc spending their rials on shaheds

Isn't this just the Harpy drones that china bought from Israel like a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Isn't this just the Harpy drones that china bought from Israel like a decade ago?

Harpies don't make the lawnmower sound while Shaheds do iirc.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Oldest Man posted:

Well also they can't even keep the cafeterias open at some of these bases so rip

ironic because cook is like the second oldest job in the military

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

500excf type r posted:

So you're saying it desperately needs disruptive innovation?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

Well also they can't even keep the cafeterias open at some of these bases so rip

loving how some keeps painting a $1 trillion per year org as a helpless poor kid in his mom basement story

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The US should surrender now so that we can save time getting to work on the next generation of hardware for WW4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Should have called them defense helicopters

Tactical counterattack helicopters

500excf type r posted:

What modern militaries need are independant app-based camp follower contractors

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Car Hater posted:

The US should surrender now so that we can save time getting to work on the next generation of hardware for WW4

the fleet of exactly 1 "win everything" plane that costs $10 trillion

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

F-69A chuck Norris

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

the fleet of exactly 1 "win everything" plane that costs $10 trillion

Healthy young superpower goes to military industrial complex, gets pumped with massive shot of higher costs and lower fleet sizes, doesn’t feel good and changes – GUNDAM. Many such cases

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speaking of the m1 being too fat, looks like sepv4 is cancelled because an eighty ton "mbt" is approaching joke status and they need to lighten it

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/army-axes-m1a2-sepv4-abrams-bets-big-on-next-gen-m1e3

Oh and also because they want to set money on fire making AbramsX happen

Griz
May 21, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Also kind of hard for a TOW crew to rapidly move out of range, kick a round off at a fortification, then run away the way a vehicle with a cannon can.

they used to just stick a TOW launcher on a jeep

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Griz posted:

they used to just stick a TOW launcher on a jeep

Yes I know and they still do mount them on trucks and tripods. But you guide the TOW while it’s in flight. A cannon fires a faster round and you don’t have to sit and steer the cannon round mid-flight, so you can fire and then take cover very fast in contrast with an ATGM you guide in like a TOW or Konkurs.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Yes I know and they still do mount them on trucks and tripods. But you guide the TOW while it’s in flight. A cannon fires a faster round and you don’t have to sit and steer the cannon round mid-flight, so you can fire and then take cover very fast in contrast with an ATGM you guide in like a TOW or Konkurs.

fire and forget missiles on vehicle platforms been around a while

quote:

The FGM-148 Javelin, or Advanced Anti-Tank Weapon System-Medium (AAWS-M), is an American-made man-portable anti-tank system in service since 1996, and continuously upgraded. It replaced the M47 Dragon anti-tank missile in US service.[10] Its fire-and-forget design uses automatic infrared guidance that allows the user to seek cover immediately after launch, in contrast to wire-guided systems, like the system used by the Dragon, which require a user to guide the weapon throughout the engagement. The Javelin's high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) warhead can defeat modern tanks by top attack, hitting them from above, where their armor is thinnest, and is also useful against fortifications in a direct attack flight.

The real reason for an assault gun is all cost and logistical footprint per pound of HE on a target. Guided missile systems cost a lot more per round, full-fat MBTs have a much bigger logistical footprint just to exist on the battlefield. A javelin costs like a quarter million bucks for the command unit and another quarter million per round, so it's not practical to demolish a field fortification or trench system 20 lbs of TNT at a time that way. A full MBT shooting HE rounds at a structure is burning a lot of gas and heavy transport to be there that an assault gun should be halving or even better.

It's cost to acquire and how much of a supply train you need to field it.

That said though, the whole reason for MBTs to begin with was to make a universal system that would deprecate much or all of the need for light tanks, assault guns, heavy tanks, etc. by combining their best attributes. The Abrams unfortunately has become such a fat-rear end that it's created the need for an assault gun that actually has the same logistical footprint as an MBT.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so you are saying the M1 Abrams is an amerifat tank?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

fire and forget missiles on vehicle platforms been around a while

No poo poo, but that doesn’t make them faster to aim and fire or better for an assault gun’s purpose than a cannon.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Healthy young superpower goes to military industrial complex, gets pumped with massive shot of higher costs and lower fleet sizes, doesn’t feel good and changes – GUNDAM. Many such cases

That's wrong and you know it.

The original Gundam was produced by a state controlled arms industry.

It's only in the next show where the nazi arms industry got rolled into the private enterprise that the state funding was directed churning out endless boondogles that were supposed to revolutionize warfare.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The Abrams is so fat that it currently requires TWO M88 tow trucks to haul its rear end back for repairs in the event of a breakdown. The M88 is being upgraded to deal with this but delivery is still years out so I figure by the time it happens the tanks will be even fatter and the situation will remain the same.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing Ukrainian mud stuck girls posing in front of Abrams' sunk in up to the idlers when this is all over

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing Ukrainian mud stuck girls posing in front of Abrams' sunk in up to the idlers when this is all over

please report to horny jail

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/UKDefJournal/status/1700444943834116555

what the heck is britain spending money on lmao

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Danann posted:

consultants

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Danann posted:

What does a tiny island vassal of the US need an military for?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

Viciously grinding the poors into dust

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GlassEye-Boy posted:

they need an army so they can pretend they can still murder brown people elsewhere

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

Trashfuture has said often that Britain as a going concern is being wound down

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Their navy is barely bigger than some of the Russian fleets so there's some kind of blackhole that's consuming the money that's not showing up in their OOB.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They have to keep an army, being in the security council P5, what they should have done is give the permanent membership to India and disband the army. Or just go full time contractors.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I take it back privatization rules

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

Look at the cool photo

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
"Britain might invade!"

"Then I shall have them arrested"

Is once again true

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Somebody posted the F-117 flight manuals on the War Thunder forum, reset the clock.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's becoming my favourite game I've yet to play.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Somebody posted the F-117 flight manuals on the War Thunder forum, reset the clock.

"do you play war thunder" is going to be an automatic disqualifier for security clearances

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

"do you play war thunder" is going to be an automatic disqualifier for security clearances

would probably make the playerbase way less toxic!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Wasn't it retired from service?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

KomradeX posted:

Wasn't it retired from service?

They still fly, just not in combat roles. Reportedly the “leak” about the F-117 on WT Forums recently was from a published, public manual you can just buy online.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You can legally show the documents to other Americans just not foreigners

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So did the US retired the F117 because its stealth was "broken" by the Serbs?

I named my router F117 because it was a "Nighthawk". And then I got better routers but kept the same name and password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

So did the US retired the F117 because its stealth was "broken" by the Serbs?

It's fifty years old my man. Not every plane can be the b52