Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Perfectly timed comeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I haven't read TESB yet so I say post it!

Also, somebody Photoshop Waldo into this one:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I didn't read tesb from the beginning so I'd be ok with a full repost too

Also glad for the return of CYELATM one of my favs

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The speed of the thread definitely makes it a bit hard to keep up, especially if one wants to appreciate all those dang comics! I've been feeling a bit out of it lately, hence why I've mostly just plopped my comics posts here and not said much else.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Gets a webcomic tattoo so ppl know where my allegiance lies. Not a character or anything, just the word 'webcomics'

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

readingatwork posted:

I would love to start over again I've forgotten enough from last time (and thank you for posting)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I think I must check here too often, I haven't had any trouble keeping up :T

The Baldur's Gate 3 thread in Video Games though, whoosh.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

haha yeah this is one of the only threads i keep up with so it's easy to stay up to date. Best Thread after all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time, on Vigils for Friends:

Today: See, this type of behavior is why therapy exists.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Gets a webcomic tattoo so ppl know where my allegiance lies. Not a character or anything, just the word 'webcomics'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#212: Lightning Strike - Dr. Slimy

#213: Lightning Strike - People Person

#214: Lightning Strike - Demonically Oran

MS Paint Masterpieces
#215: Lightning Strike - No Problems Here

#216: Filler - Happy Fun With iX

#217: Lightning Strike - Magnet What?

Including the iX filler since it's a pretty good spoof of that author/character/comic and a lot of the stuff that early 2000's bob and george people thought was incredibly cool.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:same:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Last time on 28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

And now: the conclusion

the panel where they suddenly had squid heads was perfectly timed

Tree Bucket posted:

Here's my draft vs final...

Here's what I mean when I say I have something "sketched out, storyboarded, paneled." on the left vs. finished product on the right.
:hellyeah: This is almost exactly what I've been doing except with pencil and paper, then I move to clip studio and I'll do things like sketch the same tiger 3 times before picking one to commit to

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm not entirely against reposting comics from the beginning, but if we're at that point I have a strong need to see Nedroid reposted from the beginning.

Also, all these art-draft posts are great. As someone who can't draw to save my life, getting a glimpse into how people do it is always interesting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Car orders his zombie army to tear Jos3ph and Lisa Lisa apart! Lisa Lisa tells Car that if he does that, the red stone will be destroyed--if they don't check in at a certain place at a certain time, a bomb will destroy the rock!

Read right to left:

Chapter 95 - My Followers and The Windmill, Part 1: END

Volume 10 - Red Light or Red Light: END

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

White Tiger and Black Tiger chapters 11-15

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butler posted:

v much enjoying all the posting about process in here-

most of my creative skills are in live entertainment, collab and solo, and that process, for making something usually ephemeral and unrecorded with space and motion and words and audience command, is v different for its intanigibility- since COVID, opportunities for creativity have been lacking, and i've gotten burned out on solo comedy work that lately has hit a dead end of open mic after open mic w/no bookings-

as someone seeking new creative outlets (and going back to some old ones), it is both interesting -and- useful to get a feel for how to approach a project that results in a finished noun, as opposed to the finished verbs i'm accustomed to

Performance is hard work. It feels like the average person thinks of music as a thing that comes out of a screen sounding the same every time, and can only be produced by teams of professionals. The idea that you can make your own, and that it will be different to what you can download, and that's okay... well, it's a big shift.
Anywho, if you end up adding "weird webcomic fanart" to your creative roster, you know where to post it!!

Ditocoaf posted:

Also, all these art-draft posts are great. As someone who can't draw to save my life, getting a glimpse into how people do it is always interesting.

More specifically, there's a first layer for "this is the order the words and pictures go," then a second layer for a very rough scribble of the visuals, then a third layer for roughing out the line work that goes under the actual fourth layer of finished lines. And then there's a fifth layer for colour and a sixth layer for shading. And then repeat layers two through six for the background.
It's hideously inefficient but, well, it gets results! And layer three is the only one that takes any great amount of time.

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm not entirely against reposting comics from the beginning, but if we're at that point I have a strong need to see Nedroid reposted from the beginning.

I bought all four nedroid books just recently and one page has a kind of unsettling printing error I'll have to post for comparison's sake when the time comes.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Sep 10, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

oh my god i LOVE this multiple storyteller arc it's so creative

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I particularly like the reuse of the panel of Loki going to visit the dwarves every time he tries to get the story back on track.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

oh my god i LOVE this multiple storyteller arc it's so creative

It takes the Rashomon set-up and applies it in a way that complements cartooning very well. It's a good 'un. Shame that the fourth- and third-last panels are copies.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Sep 10, 2023

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

readingatwork posted:

Also, somebody Photoshop Waldo into this one:

Was Goku not enough?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 56

Chapter 57

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

I wish pictures could be thread titles

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (April 19-26, 1942)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #8: "Punch Dracula"

"WHADDA TWIST!"

"EVERYTHING."

"An earlier, more confused time in the doctor's development there."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack, Chapter 3 cont'd

Previously: Madame Ferrier discusses the case with Inspector Crabb

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, Proffy sleep.

Recovery!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack, Chapter 3 cont'd

ikanreed posted:

Okay, it's not really spoilers because I've never read this, but loving obviously this lady snipping the rose is the masked vigilante

I just want to say, I was 100% guessing this as well. :rip: my detective career

In retrospect, maybe this framing should've been paid more attention to:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I hope I'm not too late for process chat! I've always wanted an excuse to share my process, but no one's ever really asked.

I write my pages in a pretty basic script format. Sometimes I write out what happens in each panel action-wise, but I often don't and decide it on the fly during the thumbnail sketch phase.
It's not a very interesting script, but I'm going to use page 1151 of BSF for this example. The script looked like this:

The only notable thing here, I think, is that I use all caps to indicate what needs to be bold. As far as I know, this is the standard in comic scriptwriting, but it's kind of weird because I don't use an all caps font; all-caps fonts designed for comics usually have all the capital letters in bold, which would let you copy and paste your script lines directly when lettering. Since I have chosen a non-standard font with lowercase characters but cannot rid myself of the capitalizing-bolded-words habit from my art school days, I have created more work for myself every time I transcribe a script onto the page, since I have to type poo poo out rather than copy and paste.

I put together my own thumbnail sketchbooks with a 3x3 grid of boxes on each page. The current one has 44 pages, so it should last me a while. I started on this one in February on page 1140. The last one encompassed pages 782 through 1139.

One completed page looks like this:

Taking page 1151 as an example, I throw that into a template file in Clip Studio Paint and make the lines blue:

Then I do the panel borders and lettering:

I think it's really important to figure out where the word balloons are going to go first before penciling. That way I can make sure the page is readable before I get married to any specific panel composition. I try to do this in the thumbnail phase, too, but it's hard to estimate how big the balloons/captions are going to need to be at that point, so I really lock it in here.

Then it's on to penciling. Usually I can do this in one layer, but sometimes I need to do multiple layers of different colors when human anatomy is confounding me.

Penciling is the hard part; inks are easy.

I export the inks to a png file and then open that in Photoshop in order to use a couple plugins, called Multifill and Flatten Pro. This yields a random-color image that goes perfectly under the inks:

(There was also a step here where I explicitly designed that flash behind Ceris and Arg. I did that before exporting the inks, but you get the idea.)

The random color image lets me mostly use the fill bucket to get the big areas of color down. I still need to explicitly draw some parts, but it takes way less time than doing it all that way.

After that, I split the flat colors into separate layers (usually just foreground and background) so I can overlay shading and such over each element using clipping masks. How exactly the shading works varies depending on what's needed for the specific page, but the end result is, well, the finished product:

Fortis has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Sep 10, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fortis posted:

process chat

Thank you for the in depth writeup, that was an interesting read for how many details there are to consider through the entire development. I never thought about the text being set so early on and just being a static top layer that constrains how the art can be developed, but that makes sense.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Feeling like a hack with my 2 layers lmao

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just want to say, I was 100% guessing this as well. :rip: my detective career

In retrospect, maybe this framing should've been paid more attention to:

Well, it is explicitly a collaborative effort, so... half credit I guess?

Lavender Jack is an odd mix of playing turn of the century tropes extremely straight and playing them extremely not straight. The masked avenger hiding behind an identity as a rich useless fop is right out of the Scarlet Pimpernel and would be an entrenched part of the formula for several decades.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Language note / spoiler for tomorrow’s tweest: In Japanese, Miss Haru uses a non-gendered term of address for Big Tough Person here: an “excuse, me, customer!” sort of thing.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Knitting Circle

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Love this comic, but when do they start knitting?

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If Haus wanted to make people chortle in a knowing fashion, he could've replaced the fart noise with Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

fritz posted:

Knitting Circle

I managed the first backwards speech bubble, gave up on the second and rolled my eyes at the next page. Maybe if I wasn't on my phone.