Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

fr0id posted:

I hear ya on the idea of academic terms getting into wider use and being misinterpreted. However, the internet and social media and culture work quickly. Those fringe wackos are promoted by the algorithm. you have to constantly be fighting against this. and, frankly, you have to deal with the algorithm of media. be willing to just abandon terms that have become toxic rather than trying to fight them. millions of pedants tried to make “irony” fit its original meaning. it no longer does. you will get no where trying to fight the tide of social media.

What term should they use then? Weight realists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

most Americans are pretty overweight so i think the fat acceptance people are winning there

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

C-SPAM - [phat chat] Bari Weiss

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually appreciate the effort post. I think I at least partially get what's being said here - that weight/obesity is basically treated as a sort of binary visual indicator of "unhealthy" in a way that other, usually less visible, things aren't.

The most obvious/common "counter-example" is something like smoking, but that isn't a perfect analogy, because someone who is currently fat isn't necessarily still engaging in the behavior that made them fat, given how long it takes to lose weight (while smoking is only "visible" if someone is still actively perpetuating it). And you can't just "make the choice to stop being fat" in the same way a smoker can start taking nicotine gum or something - it's a long drawn-out process that can be nearly impossible in many circumstances.

I think the issue is that HAES is usually encountered in the context of people arguing that being obese doesn't make someone unhealthy (and not only people opposed to it - I've mostly only seen proponents discuss it in this way). There's incentives on both sides to treat it this way - both for people who want to hate on fat people, and for obese people who want to reject the idea that their weight is a real problem. The internet probably exacerbates this.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

most of those 'body/food positivity' influencers peddling brain dead poo poo like "don't call it junk food!" "saying a certain food is/isn't healthy is discriminatory" are directly employed by companies like Nabisco

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

unhealthy at any size

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

bedpan posted:

unhealthy at any size

it’s this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rodents of Unhealthy Size

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

I think the issue is that HAES is usually encountered in the context of people arguing that being obese doesn't make someone unhealthy (and not only people opposed to it - I've mostly only seen proponents discuss it in this way). There's incentives on both sides to treat it this way - both for people who want to hate on fat people, and for obese people who want to reject the idea that their weight is a real problem. The internet probably exacerbates this.
yup. it's honestly a perfect encapsulation of the, and i don't use this lightly, very retarded culture war where groups of Posting = Praxis social media libs stake out ridiculous arguments against the ''''chuds''' (lol) or ableists or whatever and just contorts into real insanity into a stupid algorithmic-driven posting2praxis war.

the initiating origin of something like haes was around 'well no i'm not just unhealthy cuz i'm fat, i think there's something seriously wrong wtih my liver my eyes are yellow' in response to medical evaluations and stuff dismissing that idea you can be unhealthy for reasons not related to being morbidly obese (don't get me started on the 'thyroid problem' though which is very lol). which is very fair and true in a lot of areas of the US -- and that sucks! in the more tumblr-twitter space that's sadly morphed into 'no you can be healthy at any size and weight does not impact why i'm unhealthy' and sort of an acceptance, which is not true at all and not what was originally the point.

bedpan posted:

unhealthy at any size
yup. unironically this would have been vastly better framing

selec
Sep 6, 2003

You’re baling a poo poo-ton of hay on a farm for a culture that just wants to make fun of fat people. Unhealthy at any size wouldn’t have hit any better. That’s not why people reacted to it. It’s because fat people aren’t allowed to say you shouldn’t be cruel to them because they’re fat, that’s unfair, that’s agains the rules, who am I supposed to make fun of them? Lepers? I’d look like some kind of rear end in a top hat.

It’s just a reaction to a treat being taken away from people who are skinny, or self-hating fat people, which a lot of that kind of fat-hating content comes from. It doesn’t matter if a skinny person has breath that smells like a dying vape coil and guts like beef jerky, they don’t care to discuss health, that was always smoke.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo health should be less moralised. in practice, healthy at any size rhetoric is easily deployable against perfectly reasonable public health concerns regarding obesity, and will therefore inevitably be deployed as such. that is bad, because there are many very reasonable public health concerns regarding obesity. unfortunately, health has become just about the only unversal value in contemporary western society, and so it becomes weirdly totalising - so everything you enjoy has to be either healthy or somehow immoral. this is also bad. it is not clear to me exactly whence this attitude towards health more generally comes, especially in a society with privatised health care, but it is clear to me that it's a big problem with health outcomes in general, such as in the weird rhetoric around "the struggle against cancer", implying that those who die from the lethal disease just didn't want it enough.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm at like 3 cigs a week now instead of 3 a day and I miss my gross appetite suppressant

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Skinny meth is guy definitely healthier

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Fat shaming 100% doesn’t work and is just an excuse to be mean and gross to fat people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Will the Dems obsession with Ukriane while the country visibily falls apart around us hurt them with the so called "Normal Whites" more or less than Republicans screaming woke at everything?

Less. Americans are absurdly uninterested in foreign policy unless American troops or civilians are getting killed or wounded.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
matt went on a nice lil 2 hour unhinged rant on liberalism in his cushvlog thing

sounds like he is taking a break from podcasts for a bit too

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

err posted:

matt went on a nice lil 2 hour unhinged rant on liberalism in his cushvlog thing

sounds like he is taking a break from podcasts for a bit too

he’s been doing a nonstop rant for 8 years now

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm very fat and I try to avoid HAES stuff because of the constant confabulation between big brained doctors thinking about visible and invisible health factors, a philosophical commitment against fat shaming in and of itself, and the nabasco types trying to argue an all Oreo diet is the one true way to live forever and I never know which of these definitions someone is using or assuming I'm assuming.

All I can say is that not being depressed as poo poo, learning to cook, and controlling substance use has helped me but that's not gonna win any nobels.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Someone who is 6'9" and 300 lbs and someone who is 4'9" and 300 lbs both say the BMI scale is broken; both are correct, but only one for the right reason

MonsieurChoc posted:

Fat shaming 100% doesn’t work and is just an excuse to be mean and gross to fat people.

Saying fat shaming "doesn't work" is kind of ignoring that the point of fat shaming is to make fat people feel bad about themselves, not help them lose weight

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lizzo rear end bitches love to complain about stuff on the internet

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lots of fats itt who should consider not being fat

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

babypolis posted:

Im overweight per bmi and loving it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dokapon Findom posted:

Saying fat shaming "doesn't work" is kind of ignoring that the point of fat shaming is to make fat people feel bad about themselves, not help them lose weight
well sort of: most people who are "fat shaming" (which is mostly an internet-exclusive phenomenon and the internet is fake anyways so...) are fat people themselves. so if you hate fat shamers, you are also hating mostly fat people. it's a weird mental coping mechanism where they they're trying to cope and absolve themselves of their own internal guilt

only notable irl exception is like like danes or french calling all Americans fat squealing piglets

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

You can make healthy choices at any size but at some sizes by definition healthy choices means choices that will lead to you not being that size anymore.

post your bench

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

babypolis posted:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post your bench

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Xaris posted:

only notable irl exception is like like danes or french calling all Americans fat squealing piglets

They're just jealous America has more control over their governments than they do

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

the fat hate thread in gbs was vile as are any posts ironically aping that thread's views itt

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post your bench

Post the number of pull-ups you can do uninterrupted

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

imo health should be less moralised. in practice, healthy at any size rhetoric is easily deployable against perfectly reasonable public health concerns regarding obesity, and will therefore inevitably be deployed as such. that is bad, because there are many very reasonable public health concerns regarding obesity. unfortunately, health has become just about the only unversal value in contemporary western society, and so it becomes weirdly totalising - so everything you enjoy has to be either healthy or somehow immoral. this is also bad. it is not clear to me exactly whence this attitude towards health more generally comes, especially in a society with privatised health care, but it is clear to me that it's a big problem with health outcomes in general, such as in the weird rhetoric around "the struggle against cancer", implying that those who die from the lethal disease just didn't want it enough.

The healthy are moral and the the immoral are unhealthy

Health Calvinism

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The healthy are moral and the the immoral are unhealthy

Health Calvinism

The best lack all nutrition, while the worst are full of passion fruit sweet tea

-Eats

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair to Brie, part of it is that she kind of *has* to be this way to maintain her career. She can't really do the comedy thing, so she has to try and do a serious show. I think that's why a lot of the other "left-ish" podcasts are also so annoying - their careers basically depend on them acting like all this stuff matters and The Left still has a future in American electoral politics.

Setting my bookmark empty quote I'm gonna read all the pod stuff and maybe even listen to a pod.

Like this one
https://twitter.com/crumbbutler/status/1700629246996029518?t=V9sFQc5L-sLfjXVikGawuA&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Setting my bookmark empty quote I'm gonna read all the pod stuff and maybe even listen to a pod.

Like this one
https://twitter.com/crumbbutler/status/1700629246996029518?t=V9sFQc5L-sLfjXVikGawuA&s=19

got enough podcasts hosted by a sex criminal and a Democrat, thank you, no more

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

For sure; in most cases it's not exactly a minor thing to lose weight and most people who aren't overweight are just lucky to have been raised in families that didn't make them fat. IMO the only people who even have a right to criticize fat people are other fat people who were raised that way.

If I were fat, there's no way in hell I'd be losing that weight given how low-energy I am these days. I'm just lucky that I've always been accustomed to a normal diet, so I've never needed to break an addiction to food. If I had one, I doubt I'd have the willpower to address it (I'm on suboxone after all, which is sort of like the opiate addiction version of gastric bypass surgery lol).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

a small price to pay for the ability to eat a whole pizza. we have to keep this in perspective.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Thread, is there a way to get all of Tides of History without subscribing to Wondery+? It's all hosed, like just about all of the first season and half of the second season are missing from the standard feed, but I noticed parts of the first season are in Wyman's Fall of Rome podcast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
please follow the example of our president and be nice.

https://twitter.com/CBKNEWS121/status/1688992118549929984?s=20

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lizzo rear end bitches love to complain about stuff on the internet

That's you

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

my bony fealty posted:

got enough podcasts hosted by a sex criminal and a Democrat, thank you, no more

You repeated yourself.

So is Virgil Texas just dead now or what? I haven't been following the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My BIL works out all the time, obsessively tracks his BMI, and is maybe the most unhappy person I know. Some of that is separate from the exercise fixation, but just build healthy habits while also being nice to yourself every once in a while.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Thread, is there a way to get all of Tides of History without subscribing to Wondery+? It's all hosed, like just about all of the first season and half of the second season are missing from the standard feed, but I noticed parts of the first season are in Wyman's Fall of Rome podcast

Not that I'm aware of, he doesn't have a Patreon so I assume Wondery has him by the balls vis a vis episode distribution. He's somewhat active on social media so you could try messaging him about it?