Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol but vince once got drunk at a strip club and hadevery single wrestler there (also drunk) perform their finishers on him including the road warriors doomsday device he was not killed or seriously injured

I think Vince survives all these things because he is not a real person, but an insane homunculus fueled by intense rage and a love of farting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

an insane homunculus fueled by intense rage and a love of farting.

I mean, same, but I couldn't survive a single finisher, let alone three, drunk or sober.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cthulu Carl posted:

I mean, same, but I couldn't survive a single finisher, let alone three, drunk or sober.

Perhaps you should ask yourself this question, "Do I REALLY love farting as much as I think I do?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Perhaps you should ask yourself this question, "Do I REALLY love farting as much as I think I do?"

No, I think I'm just not as angry as I think.

Maybe I could take a couple finishers after I try to explain for the 50th time why our company disallows network printing from home.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bogus Adventure posted:

The CM Punk fiasco is why Tony Khan will never surpass Vince McMahon. If Punk did that to Vince, Vince would have eaten Punk's finishing move and then bellowed out, "YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU'RRRRRRRRRRRRE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRED!!!"

Vince would have made Punk some weird superhero pastiche or some other crazy thing and then had him do a stunt that compromised him to a permanent end.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's very telling people call OC lazy because of his opening gimmick but then he proceeds to do luchador levels of physicality as he escalates the match. Has the same signature move as Roman Reigns too.

I just saw the dynamite where he disguises himself as the camera guy so he can attack jericho and he beats the poo poo out of him lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vince would have made Punk some weird superhero pastiche or some other crazy thing and then had him do a stunt that compromised him to a permanent end.

This would have been CM Punk's next booking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKpF1RZlY8

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AlmightyBob posted:

I just saw the dynamite where he disguises himself as the camera guy so he can attack jericho and he beats the poo poo out of him lol

Sounds like he's taking a page out of a legend's book:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

This would have been CM Punk's next booking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKpF1RZlY8

We need more loveable hillbilly gimmicks in pro wrestling

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

"Punk, I'm changing your entrance music to the rear end in a top hat song. Denis Leary actually wanted more money than Living Colour for some reason, but it'll all be worth it in the end."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SnafuAl posted:

Minor point, but since (I hope) these are being saved for posterity, it was Ryan Nemeth involved here.

Though given the running gag of him being unable to get out from under his more famous brother's shadow, this seems appropriate.

Thanks for that. Fixed it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What makes Orange Cassidy great is that while all the words somebody posted about how pro wrestling is one of the longest and greatest running forms of perfomance art is all true. It's also wether unintentionally or not, hand crafted to be watched while stoned.
I mean aside from some of the more grounded wrestler persona's like Bret Hart, Shaun Michaels or Goldberg you go poo poo like 80's saturday morning cartoon heroes like Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage or a coked out ranting space viking like Warrior, or an undead giant like The Undertaker or his slasher villan kayfabe brother Kane you also got oddballs like a failed country singer or failed countru singer turned biker turned simply a dude who is in love with his rear end, turned embarassing dad whose sons betrayed him because they didn't want to be known as the rear end Boys Billy Gunn. And in the midst of all these dudes you just got this stoned slacker who's just seemingly here because why not?
He's the perfect audience insert for fans. Seemingly lazy and a little dumb but ables to suprise you with what he can do.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 10, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Orange Cassidy is great because he took the concept of a drunken master martial artist and translated him into modern wrestling.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol akeem ftw

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

David D. Davidson posted:

What makes Orange Cassidy great is that while all the words somebody posted about how pro wrestling is one of the longest and greatest running forms of perfomance art is all true. It's also wether unintentionally or not, hand crafted to be watched while stoned.
I mean aside from some of the more grounded wrestler persona's like Bret Hart, Shaun Michaels or Goldberg you go poo poo like 80's saturday morning cartoon heroes like Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage or a coked out ranting space viking like Warrior, or an undead giant like The Undertaker or his slasher villan kayfabe brother Kane you also got oddballs like a failed country singer or failed countru singer turned biker turned simply a dude who is in love with his rear end, turned embarassing dad whose sons betrayed him because they didn't want to be known as the rear end Boys Billy Gunn. And in the midst of all these dudes you just got this stoned slacker who's just seemingly here because why not?
He's the perfect audience insert for fans. Seemingly lazy and a little dumb but ables to suprise you with what he can do.

yeah I watch it stoned and it rules when it's silly

I was laughing my rear end off at the first stadium stampede, like when Santana got in the little pool and told Ortiz to get in and Ortiz goes "but I can't swim" or when they were holding matt hardy under the water and everytime they brought him back up he was wearing different clothes

one of my absolute favorite orange cassidy things was when he was in a ladder match, and walked over to the announce table to ask them how you win, and when they told him he had to climb the ladder he got visible upset

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Never forget brother

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I distinctly remember something like this happening but can't seem to place it....

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Holy cow guys, I didn’t realize I was saying anything controversial, let alone inflammatory. I really do enjoy this thread quite a bit, and I’m sorry for setting off a massive derail.

Ah yeah. That's more like it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

AlmightyBob posted:

one of my absolute favorite orange cassidy things was when he was in a ladder match, and walked over to the announce table to ask them how you win, and when they told him he had to climb the ladder he got visible upset

It's a running joke that OC does not know how to use a ladder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So Vince literally does love being slammed by one dozen perfect wrestlers

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Jesus politico for real?

quote:

GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN-MANIA — Professional wrestlers come in two basic varieties: faces, the “good guys” of the ring, and heels, the “bad guys.” Occasionally a face will turn into a heel, or vice versa, based on the reactions from fans — who sometimes prefer a watchable heel to a predictable face.

Congressional leaders, when it comes to the personas they project at high-stakes moments, often follow the same exact template. And with 19 days left for lawmakers to stave off a government shutdown, Speaker Kevin McCarthy is forced to consider the role he wants to play.

McCarthy entered the last act of this spring’s debt-limit drama, Capitol Hill’s most recent big moment, looking every inch the face. He had leaned on conservative allies like Reps. Jim Jordan and Marjorie Taylor Greene to help quell frustration on the right with a bipartisan agreement that inevitably gave ground from the House GOP’s original version.

But a week later, a group of hardliners derailed their own leaders’ bill on the floor. It was a show of force to squeeze the speaker, a reminder to McCarthy of his precarious hold on his party’s five-seat majority. (If it were a wrestling move, we might call it the Freedom Caucus Clutch.) House GOP leaders needed days to squash the resistors, who refused to rule out another takeover attempt.

It was a prime example of a moment that wrestling fans know well — when a bad-guy heel becomes more watchable and influential than a good-guy face. In ring parlance, that kind of advantage is known as “getting over” with fans.

McCarthy’s allies might argue that he’s getting over with the majority of the GOP, if not the party base, by trying to bridge the gap between the bumptious right and the quieter establishment. With conservatives increasingly ascendant in his majority, though, the speaker is facing a near-impossible dilemma as he tries to please all types of Republicans with a government funding plan.

So how does McCarthy get out of this bind? Instead of trying to play the conciliatory face again, he might consider a heel turn of his own.

For the oft-beleaguered and underestimated speaker, that would mean doubling down on his own agenda, drat the doubters and the haters. But first he has to decide which fan base he wants to get over with.

Does McCarthy care more about getting over with the GOP base or swing voters? If he chooses the first path, it’s time to push through whatever can pass the House before the Democratic-controlled Senate has a chance to approve its own stopgap government funding plan — and refuse to back down, even if it means a shutdown.

If the speaker wants to get over with swing voters, he’d do well to look back at which party took the blame for past government shutdowns before he decides how much brinkmanship to engage in. The verdict there is rather mixed,according to the nonpartisan Pew Research Center; polling from both of the two most recent shutdowns, in 2013 and 2018, shows that Republicans may well have more to lose as the party out of power in the White House.

McCarthy’s only way to decisively absolve the GOP of blame for a shutdown, though, looks like striking a deal with Democrats. That means playing the heel for his party’s base and conservatives in his own conference — putting his gavel at risk by emboldening his critics to try to strip it from him.

It’s the kind of I-dare-you move that’s turned wrestling heels into icons. And the next 19 days will tell us whether McCarthy will drop the face act.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Jesus politico for real?

:vince:

unbelievable

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Grendels Dad posted:

After a long career I want Cassidy to adjust his gimmick to Old Man Cassidy. Flannel shirts, pants pulled up high, coming to the ring with a walking cane, hair snow white. Instead of being lazy he'd just be old.

TRONSON V. CASSIDY

Werthers Original Clash

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the final battle of MGS4 but that series is also basically pro wrestling if it was also GI Joe.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Can't wait for Necrot-Ric Flair to come out of retirement to fight Old Man Cassidy in the Lawrence Welk Senior Slamshionship Series

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Bogus Adventure posted:

Can't wait for Necrot-Ric Flair to come out of retirement to fight Old Man Cassidy in the Lawrence Welk Senior Slamshionship Series

Basing the general idea that being an 'old man' would be to be officially considered a senior citizen, which in most places is 65...Orange Cassidy is currently 39, so it would take 26 years for him to reach that age, at which point Ric Flair would be...100 years old.

I can see Vince's crazy head stapled onto Shane's neck booking that, yeah.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Basing the general idea that being an 'old man' would be to be officially considered a senior citizen, which in most places is 65...Orange Cassidy is currently 39, so it would take 26 years for him to reach that age, at which point Ric Flair would be...100 years old.

I can see Vince's crazy head stapled onto Shane's neck booking that, yeah.

Hey be fair.

Both Vince and Flair will probably be cyborgs by then.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I never liked Orange Cassidy. I guess it's kind of funny? Whatever. I don't even watch wrestling anymore.

Is this Orange Cassidy posting?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I thought Vince already wasn't willing to sign off on Ric making an rear end of himself wrestling at his age. Then again, I thought the whole point of the WWE Legends contract was to keep aging wrestlers from tarnishing the brand by wrestling in highschool gyms to make ends meet so I don't know what Ric is up to these days.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cat Hatter posted:

I thought Vince already wasn't willing to sign off on Ric making an rear end of himself wrestling at his age. Then again, I thought the whole point of the WWE Legends contract was to keep aging wrestlers from tarnishing the brand by wrestling in highschool gyms to make ends meet so I don't know what Ric is up to these days.

flair will just fund an indepedent show and nearly kill himself in the ring

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ric Flair is currently doing a tour of grocery stores around me to promote his lovely energy drink. If you buy 6 or more drinks you get to meet him.

It's a living.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

Ric Flair is currently doing a tour of grocery stores around me to promote his lovely energy drink. If you buy 6 or more drinks you get to meet him.

It's a living.

when you have been as divorced as ric flair you have to pay alimony somehow

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's a living.

Tastes like justice.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Ric Flair Finance was an online financial company created in September 2007. Flair teamed up with his business partner Chris Porter, hoping to create a mortgage company based on his popularity. They hoped to generate leads with the company and then refer them to lenders. RFF was even advertised on WWE television and before a NASCAR race in Delaware.

Flair would find out that his business model was "completely illegal" and would be penalized for not having a broker's license, which Porter reportedly told Flair they didn't need. The state of North Carolina would shut the company down for noncompliance.

Porter would sue flair for $115,000 on a $140,000 loan. He would also file for bankruptcy following the closure of the company.

In the years since, Flair has become a celebrity endorser for multiple products and companies; he's signed a merchandising contract with Adidas and created a cannabis product line called Ric Flair Drip. He has also teamed with Kitchen Data Systems to open a series of restaurants called Wooooo! Wings in six locations across the U.S.

Read More: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1080293/ric-flair-finance-was-one-of-the-nature-boys-more-ridiculous-endeavors/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ric Flair spent a long time saying "Sure, whatever, put my name on it" to just about everything anyone approached him with. He used his NWA title belt as collateral for two different loans and tried to take the engagement ring off his fourth wife's finger as collateral for another one.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, you got your home mortgage through a bank? I didn't know people were still doing that. I got mine through Ric Flair.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Extra Large Marge posted:

Oh wow, you got your home mortgage through a bank? I didn't know people were still doing that. I got mine through Ric Flair.

You didn’t Save with Conrad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's a living.

I had three different people messaging me about him being in the Columbus area to promote his new drink. I politely told them Ric Flair is one of the absolute last professional wrestlers I would want to meet or see in person, at least now. I just see him as a sad old drunk that refuses to die at this point.