Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

Should I be concerned that this car has had 5 owners in as many years?

Of course. It's a huge red flag that it's a problem child that gets unloaded once those problems become obvious to the next sucker who buys it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

I found this baby within driving distance. Not Porsche dealer though.

https://www.archibalds.net/vehicle-...source=cars.com

pokie posted:

Should I be concerned that this car has had 5 owners in as many years?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...4H-MKP3PUEGc7g8

If you buy from a non-Porsche dealer you lose any CPO warranty/eligibility for a CPO warranty. I'd be a bit wary of a car with that many owners, but FWIW, weekend cars are probably more likely to get traded around.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Its a red flag for sure, but the last few years in particular have been so fucky it could be anything. I noticed liens so it could be as simple as people losing their jobs over covid or financial remorse (or if they're young and don't do research for cost of ownership like insurance and $400 dealer oil changes).

I would absolutely be cautious but it doesn't necessarily spell disaster.

Residency Evil posted:

but FWIW, weekend cars are probably more likely to get traded around.
Kind of like motorcycles, except with more regret due to the cost especially if the owners are without real means and want "Porsche" due to perceived status.

Googling the vin shows a thread on Rennlist with a PO. Maybe see if you can reach out to him and ask him the skinny?

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=45966985

He's not active on Rennlist for a year but you might get lucky and answer a PM or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I would absolutely be cautious but it doesn't necessarily spell disaster.

I agree, but.....

slidebite posted:

Kind of like motorcycles, except with more regret due to the cost especially if the owners are without real means and want "Porsche" due to perceived status.

These are the cars that end up in maintenance debt, next owner, then something goes wrong, next owner, more maintenance debt and thing still not fixed, and all of a sudden you're into a car that the p-car dealership won't touch because it will obviously fail a PPI without $15k in work, etc.......... I've looked at these cars (locally) for rennlist people many times as a sanity check to see if it was even worth their money to pay for the PPI. It's a common story.

FYI, they all need rear tires and a new battery as well.

I stand by considering this a huge red flag.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not saying you're wrong either, it IS a red flag.

An in depth PPI for this would be a must to catch missed maintenance for exactly the reasons you state. $70K with $15K of deferred maintenance would be a rude wake up call.

And any future owner needs to be educated and prepared for the cost of ownership for the very same reasons.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

slidebite posted:

An in depth PPI for this would be a must to catch missed maintenance for exactly the reasons you state. $70K with $15K of deferred maintenance would be a rude wake up call.

And any future owner needs to be educated and prepared for the cost of ownership for the very same reasons.

I asked the dealer if I could get a PPI. They said I would have to cover the cost of transportation (about $1k given their remote location) and the inspection (around $500, i guess). I am thinking that could be worth it over flying 1000 miles and driving back.

slidebite posted:

He's not active on Rennlist for a year but you might get lucky and answer a PM or something?

Looks like I need to pay $25 to send PMs on Rennlist. Not worth it for a defunct account, I would guess. Thanks for the tip though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

I asked the dealer if I could get a PPI. They said I would have to cover the cost of transportation (about $1k given their remote location) and the inspection (around $500, i guess). I am thinking that could be worth it over flying 1000 miles and driving back.

The buyer should always be the one paying for a PPI. That's fine, But they're $1k away from the closest competent Porsche mechanic?

Bullshit. This is a "tell him some poo poo so he stops asking for a PPI". Another huge red flag.

Move on.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Motronic posted:

The buyer should always be the one paying for a PPI. That's fine, But they're $1k away from the closest competent Porsche mechanic?

Bullshit. This is a "tell him some poo poo so he stops asking for a PPI". Another huge red flag.

Move on.

They are 200 miles away from an official Porsche dealer (they are in Kennewick, WA 99336). I think I could bring it to any other mechanic too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do some research for respected Euro mechanics in Kennewick.

But if you cannot get a PPI on this car, you do not buy it. Full stop.

This isn't a $25K 996.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

slidebite posted:

Do some research for respected Euro mechanics in Kennewick.

But if you cannot get a PPI on this car, you do not buy it. Full stop.

This isn't a $25K 996.

Absolutely. I already did a bit of looking. https://www.yelp.com/biz/simmonson-automotive-pasco?start=10 These guys seem ok. Good feedback from a few Porsche and Mercedes owners.

E: Dealer confirmed I can take it there.

pokie fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 7, 2023

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I’ve put 7500 miles in 2 years on the 996 this thread tried pretty hard to talk me out of buying and so far it has been a sweet honeymoon of ownership. I lucked out when I bought it as it is a 1/98 build date, something I didn’t even know was desirable at the time. Beyond oil changes I’ve replaced the battery and rear tires (lol), both seat belt receptacle to get rid of a pesky intermittent airbag light, and had some wiring repaired to the brake light switch to fix the cruise control. No major expenses or surprises so far, knock on wood.

I absolutely did get a PPI from a good Porsche Indy before buying it and the car had a nice set of maintenance records. The IMS is not the only big money demon these cars possess. The timing chains/tensioners/guides can fail and also grenade your engine, so make sure you at least get the cam deviations checked during your PPI before you buy, as these are an indicator of timing system health. The engines can bore score, although that is more common on the 3.6L versions in the 996.2. The cylinders can D-chunk (whatever that is), which also grenades the engine. Many possible grenandes, many such cases. I remember reading the M96 engines are “made of chocolate” and that has stuck with me. If I were looking for another 996 I would try to get the earliest build date 1999 with good records that I could. I’m not sure the same applies for 986’s.

I have two sub-8 year old children and a non-massive wife so we are able to use the back seats and go for cruises as a family. I’m 5’8 and I need to move my seat up a tad from my usual driving position to make room for kid legs behind me, but it is doable. The kids get a decent enough kick out of it. I had to take a utility knife to the back carpets to expose the rear car seat anchors for their booster seats. If I didn’t want the back seats I would have bought a boxster or a cayman, almost certainly. Although it is cool to own the most iconic car of all time, gotta admit.

I daily drive it a bit during the warmer months and it is just OK. When I was commuting 12 minutes of B roads it was great but now that I’m doing 20 minutes on construction-riddled interstate it is less so. I probably prefer commuting in my wife’s old 2006 saab 9-3 5 speed. It’s just more comfortable. On weekend drives on my nice local roads it is pretty exhilarating. You have to rev it past 5k to get out of the “dog slow” range, but when you do, it’s pretty visceral.

So overall I’d recommend but don’t be unlucky.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

willroc7 posted:

So overall I’d recommend but don’t be unlucky.

Solid life advice, haha.

I daily drove my challenger for several years, and then motos for several more. The Porsches I test drove were certainly comfier than either. Is your 996 stick or auto?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
The lord’s true transmission, the 6 speed manual.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Amen

Got to ride in a 2024 992 C4S Cabriolet today. That is a sick car. Totally different world to my 986.

The ventilated seats are magnificent and I'm idly curious if I could acquire a set for my little boxster...

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 8, 2023

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got the PPI

E: also why was the coolant low?

pokie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 8, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elite Taco posted:

Amen

Got to ride in a 2024 992 C4S Cabriolet today. That is a sick car. Totally different world to my 986.

The ventilated seats are magnificent and I'm idly curious if I could acquire a set for my little boxster...

Yeah, the 987.2 ventilated seats "should" bolt up, but will require extensive electrical work to get them online. On a 987 you can just swap out the poverty covers for the actual buttons, on a 986 youll have to install a switch or something. I'd do significant research and find a shop to do it before you pull the trigger, the seats might cost as much as the 986 as well

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

I got the PPI

So what does a quart low on coolant and running a $30 air filter well past its prime tell you about the maintenance history and treatment of this car? Tread depth is fine, what year were the tires manufactured? Did I miss that on the PPI? They're largely junk after 5.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Motronic posted:

So what does a quart low on coolant and running a $30 air filter well past its prime tell you about the maintenance history and treatment of this car? Tread depth is fine, what year were the tires manufactured? Did I miss that on the PPI? They're largely junk after 5.

How even did the coolant get low in the first place? CARFAX only shows 1 tire being replaced :thinking:.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

How even did the coolant get low in the first place? CARFAX only shows 1 tire being replaced :thinking:.

I understand they're not as easy to find with the options you want as a used honda, but it's still a regular production car. There is no reason to be taking chances on these things without a significant discount that makes it worthwhile. This car is not selling for a discount. It's selling as a ready to drive fully maintained vehicle, and it is clearly not.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Motronic posted:

I understand they're not as easy to find with the options you want as a used honda, but it's still a regular production car. There is no reason to be taking chances on these things without a significant discount that makes it worthwhile. This car is not selling for a discount. It's selling as a ready to drive fully maintained vehicle, and it is clearly not.

Yeah, I am pretty sus on it; I still think I will take the 200 mile drive there tomorrow just to get the test drive experience with a manual, but ugh... Might have to fly and ride a CPO one instead.

Do I need to get a PPI for Porsche dealer CPO cars too?

E: Since I am gonna test drive this thing anyway. What level of discount should I consider sufficient to buy it for? Go down 7.5k from 71k asking? 10k? It will need, I think: tires, brakes, fixing the coolant leak, 20k service...

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 8, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Arione posted:

Yeah, the 987.2 ventilated seats "should" bolt up, but will require extensive electrical work to get them online. On a 987 you can just swap out the poverty covers for the actual buttons, on a 986 youll have to install a switch or something. I'd do significant research and find a shop to do it before you pull the trigger, the seats might cost as much as the 986 as well

Based on research so far, the bolt holes from 986-991 are all the same. It's the electronics that are the bear. That said, 12v electronics will yield to patience. There's a guy on rennlist with heated ventilated 987 seats in his 986, so it's doable.

But yes, getting the seats for a reasonable price is part one. The next is figuring out if sand beige will clash too much with savanna and need to be recovered (price goes UP, but so does possible seats since color matching is no longer required)

Anyway, I'm at https://www.boxstoberfest.net/ in my lil blue 986 S - come say hi if you are too!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
re: seats - alternatively, I just do pepita in the middle of my existing seats and just drive my fuckin car.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Everything I've read indicates that on newer Porsches unoptioned things are often completed omitted back to the wiring harness even. You'd probably be better off with aftermarket options.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm not terribly worried about that. I have heat on my existing seats, so i can figure out heating from one generation to the next. Making a controller for a not available 986 feature like ventilation, however, is a worthwhile project, imo.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

For better or for worse I bought the chalk Boxster GTS I posted about. It might have been dumb, but the convenience of local availability and decent trade-in value won out. The other dumb thing I did was buy a warranty from the dealer for 36k miles (or 5 years, whichever comes first). The car looked very clean and felt awesome to drive.

I could use hat advice from fellow convertible goons.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I did a ~220 mile driving tour today with Boxstoberfest. It was fun as hell doing a spirited drive with other drivers. Went a LOT faster than I would have gone otherwise. On the really twisty roads where I would have normally slowed down I simply parked my self on this guy's bumper and did whatever he did:

I figured if a 87 Turbo can do it, an 04 986 S can do it, too! I truly had a great time pushing my car in ways I wouldn't have.

Also, found an airplane:

Decent turnout - 120 cars

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

E: ^^ I drove 400 miles today for this :D

It was real sad to let go of my 10yo child.

^Look at how happy this fucker is.

:boom: haters gonna hate :moonrio:

pokie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 10, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Did you buy it?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Elite Taco posted:

Did you buy it?

Yeah. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=534471525

VVV what about the hat advice?!

pokie fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 10, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

pokie posted:

For better or for worse I bought the chalk Boxster GTS I posted about. It might have been dumb, but the convenience of local availability and decent trade-in value won out. The other dumb thing I did was buy a warranty from the dealer for 36k miles (or 5 years, whichever comes first). The car looked very clean and felt awesome to drive.

I could use hat advice from fellow convertible goons.

This all seems fine. You may or may not have money-solvable problems down the road. In the meantime, just flog the car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That chalk looks great with the red calipers, makes em pop.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 10, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Buy a hat from 000 magazine. Porsche snobs will know

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Arione posted:

Buy a hat from 000 magazine. Porsche snobs will know

I will steal a copy of the magazine and make a hat out of it. And wear these sunglasses to the next P club meeting:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I will steal a copy of the magazine and make a hat out of it. And wear these sunglasses to the next P club meeting:

Everyone needs a pair of PD sunglasses. 000 is 1k a year for the leather bound edition. Only poors buy the $275 paper edition

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hello porsche friends I just wanted to share that there is a person at my workplace who has been driving their porsche into work recently.

their porsche 911 turbo Power Wheels, that is

whoever they are, they've been parking it off to the side next to the bike rack, avoiding having to fight for real parking spots. I respect the hustle

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I don't have too much hat advice, though I had a cheap straw hat in southern Spain which didn't blow off.

What I will say is you should get some clear side indicator covers.

Nice car, what's the engine in the pre-4.0 GTS?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Love that chalk, congrats on the car!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

knox_harrington posted:

I don't have too much hat advice, though I had a cheap straw hat in southern Spain which didn't blow off.

What I will say is you should get some clear side indicator covers.

Nice car, what's the engine in the pre-4.0 GTS?

What purpose do said covers serve? Avoid debris damage?

2.5L 4-cylinder turbocharged flat, like in the S models. I am not sure if it's actually different.

TheBacon posted:

Love that chalk, congrats on the car!

Thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

What purpose do said covers serve? Avoid debris damage?

The replace the orange ones that stick out like a sore thumb on white and black cars. You replace the bulb with an amber one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

American cars have to have orange coloured lights on the side, everywhere else gets ones with orange bulbs and clear covers which looks better.

efb